• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

i wonder how to clear the "XXX goods" quests. i keep sending different people but the results are always lame. they dont give you any clues either and sometimes on different missions all my stars pretty much refuse to feel positive about some missions.

MotherFan

Augemitbutter said:
i wonder how to clear the "XXX goods" quests. i keep sending different people but the results are always lame. they dont give you any clues either and sometimes on different missions all my stars pretty much refuse to feel positive about some missions.

You need to send people with high luck I believe.

Also, what is the extra for having all stars? Give me the whole scoop as I am not gonna replay for awhile.

firex

I think I'm like 10 hours at most into the game now and I'm liking it, but recruiting people seems harder than it was in the main Suikoden games. Mainly because when I meet someone who's got a name and portrait so far, they tend to be on the enemy's side.

Still, I'm liking the game a lot overall. I don't really want Suikoden 6 to use this game's gameplay systems, but other than that it's pretty awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
shykyoichi said:
Ask others. Suikoden has always enjoyed a high encounter rate than most RPGs.

I'm playing through Suiko 1 now on my PSP, and the encounter rate is highly variable. I can go 4 steps between battles; and I can go 100+ steps with nary a foe in sight.

Wilsongt

firex said:
I think I'm like 10 hours at most into the game now and I'm liking it, but recruiting people seems harder than it was in the main Suikoden games. Mainly because when I meet someone who's got a name and portrait so far, they tend to be on the enemy's side.

Still, I'm liking the game a lot overall. I don't really want Suikoden 6 to use this game's gameplay systems, but other than that it's pretty awesome.

This one does fake you out a little, but the general rule still applies except for a small handful of characters...

MotherFan said:
Also, what is the extra for having all stars? Give me the whole scoop as I am not gonna replay for awhile.
The scene with Atrie.

Mejilan said:
I'm playing through Suiko 1 now on my PSP, and the encounter rate is highly variable. I can go 4 steps between battles; and I can go 100+ steps with nary a foe in sight.
I haven't gone more than 30+ steps in any of my Suikoden playthroughs without encountering something. And IV's ocean is swarming with encounters. Dunno if I'm a special case though. Maybe.

Joei

shykyoichi said:
The scene with Atrie.

I haven't gone more than 30+ steps in any of my Suikoden playthroughs without encountering something. And IV's ocean is swarming with encounters. Dunno if I'm a special case though. Maybe.

4 has an extremely high encounter rate, especially the ocean. So much so that I tried to warp everywhere I could because of it and absolutely hated sailing. 1-3 and 5, though, I didn't notice a high encounter rate. The first two, though, while I don't recall a high encounter rate, the battles go so fast it's almost neglible. I can't comment on Tierkries since I haven't played it.

MotherFan

shykyoichi said:
The scene with Atrie.

No, they are all high encounter rates. Thanks for the info too :)

I finaly got my hand on a both the game and a DS. I´m 6 hours into the game and I love it. I feared that they would have copied to much from Final Fantasy but I think they have copied the Lunar series if anything. Suikoden 2 + Lunar 2 = Tiekreis or something.

And man the main character can speak fast. Would have liked to be able to choose japanese speech.

MotherFan said:
You need to send people with high luck I believe.

just high luck? i know the animal hunt requires high luck and agility, but i dont know anything about the goods missions,.

Wilsongt

Just beat it at about 50 hours. Excellent, excellent game. So good. So good.

I would play a Tierkries 2, seeing as how they introduced a plethora of new locations.

im like 35 hours in and still cant beat some stupid missions from way back :lol

man, this game sure lacks a real tactican. its giving me suiko-withdrawal symptoms.

Just finished it last night after putting 60+ hours into it.

While I did enjoy it, it was definitely Suikoden-Lite in almost every sense. It lacked many elements that make up a Suikoden game to me.
Any sembelence of politically motivated strorylines went right out the window around the halfway point. It boiled to down to a very classic "save the universe" story complete with plucky young hero. I don't have any problems with those types of games, but that's not what I look to Suikoden for.

I'd recommend it to someone looking for a nice & simple RPG for the DS, not for someone looking for the next true Suikoden experience.

firex

I don't think I'm very far into the game:
group just broke away from the Magedom of Janam and are now an independent ass-kicking company
but it feels like the game just opened up more, kind of like how it usually is in traditional Suikoden games when you get your HQ. now I just need to recruit more people. Now that I can actually go out recruiting more, it's pretty easy so far. Seems like you just accept side missions and people will approach you during them to join... kind of dumbed down, but not that bad.

Like a lot of others, it doesn't feel like a main Suikoden game to me, but it's still pretty fun. It may not be my favorite DS RPG yet (just because DQ5 is awesome) but for a purely original game and not a port/remake, it's way better than all the hate made it sound like it would be.

Jenga

Banned
Finished it a bit ago.

I kinda wished they worked in
a bad end, with the hero going through that one day over and over again. Instead of him realizing what's going on, it'd just cut out to Liu or Jale, or whoever and show them repeating their happiest day over and over. After this we'd get a little speech by the One King talking how much better everything is predetermined.

shitty fanfiction aside,

they definitely
leave stuff open for a sequel, with several characters disappearing, and the northern empire breaking out into a civil war. hell, it even mentions a handful of characters heading to that empire before the civil war, so there you have your setting and a chance for recurring characters

Jenga said:
Finished it a bit ago.

I kinda wished they worked in
a bad end, with the hero going through that one day over and over again. Instead of him realizing what's going on, it'd just cut out to Liu or Jale, or whoever and show them repeating their happiest day over and over. After this we'd get a little speech by the One King talking how much better everything is predetermined.
There is a
"bad" ending. You have to agree to use Atrie's method of defeating the One King.

Jenga said:
they definitely
leave stuff open for a sequel, with several characters disappearing, and the northern empire breaking out into a civil war. hell, it even mentions a handful of characters heading to that empire before the civil war, so there you have your setting and a chance for recurring characters
I think it would be weird to have a sequel taking place in solely one location when Tierkreis' whole spiel was the "Infinity" concept. And if they make a Tierkreis sequel before a true Suikoden sequel, that would upset a lot of people, myself included.

Gunloc said:
I think it would be weird to have a sequel taking place in solely one location when Tierkreis' whole spiel was the "Infinity" concept. And if they make a Tierkreis sequel before a true Suikoden sequel, that would upset a lot of people, myself included.
So very true.

abstract alien said:
Could someone list the one-shot-only characters and how you get them?
Answer:
Gunloc said:
Alternate Recruitment List (Spoilers)
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=10449

Listed in order of recruitment. Some reading ahead is necessary for earliest possible recruitment. Missable characters are marked.

Mejilan

I'm rapidly approaching the very end of Suikoden 1. Good stuff. Next up is 2, then I plan on hitting up Tierkreis.

MotherFan

shykyoichi said:
So very true.

You could hit up a sequal
in Atrie's world or other Maruca's world, or hell any other world. Also, there are other continents, you could move over to say, that continent that the gun people came over from (sorry, totally blanked on their names)

Edit: Play V as well, it is very good, you will not be disappointed.

MotherFan said:
You could hit up a sequal
in Atrie's world or other Maruca's world, or hell any other world. Also, there are other continents, you could move over to say, that continent that the gun people came over from (sorry, totally blanked on their names)
Atrie's or other Marica's world are fine as technically they're on another "universe" if we follow a multiverse setting. However, using the Empire of the North Star or the United Kingdom of Ritterschild would defeat the purpose of exploring the "millions worlds" out there. Sticking to the same geography in Tierkreis will ironically cause the same problem that Konami said they were avoiding: continuity and backstory.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Mejilan said:
I'm rapidly approaching the very end of Suikoden 1. Good stuff. Next up is 2, then I plan on hitting up Tierkreis.
wow, you're making it hard on tierkreis there. maybe play IV first? :lol

Mejilan

mattiewheels said:
wow, you're making it hard on tierkreis there. maybe play IV first? :lol

Nah, I've played a bit of Tierkreis already, and I've already noticed that it has some of my favorite Suiko traits, much better graphics, lovely music, and a much better localization. Suikoden 1 is awesome, but janky beyond belief, and with one of the worst translations this side of the 32 bit era. Hell, there are more than a few 16 bit RPGs with significantly better localizations.

Besides, I'll hit up IV when I properly move onto the PS2 Suikos. I plan on hitting up III after Tierkreis. At some point.

I've actually been somewhat tempted to drop I in favor of Tierkreis, but I'm holding out. II's also very awesome, so putting Tierkreis aside for now hasn't been TOO difficult. Converting them to PSP format and granting them Tierkreis' awesome portability has also helped, significantly. :)

Mejilan said:
Nah, I've played a bit of Tierkreis already, and I've already noticed that it has some of my favorite Suiko traits, much better graphics, lovely music, and a much better localization. Suikoden 1 is awesome, but janky beyond belief, and with one of the worst translations this side of the 32 bit era. Hell, there are more than a few 16 bit RPGs with significantly better localizations.

worst translations? wait til you play Suiko II US then....

tierkreis spoiler:
just passed the volcano. way too long and boring =( at least the conclusion was good.

Mejilan

Surely Suiko II doesn't have a shittier localization than Suiko I?
Well, just finished I last night. Was awesome. Figured out how to manipulate the Suiko I and Suiko II virtual memory card that the PSP's PSOne emulator creates, and was able to import my Suiko I data into Suiko II.

Visually, it's a stark and welcome difference. Suiko II actually looks and animates more like a 2D PSOne game should. Much better animation and cleaner color choices.

firex

2 definitely has a worse localization than 1 if you ask me. It's just so spotty, haphazard, slapdash or whatever you want to call it.

Mejilan

Oh hell. HOW? Suiko I almost had more lines with grammatical/typographical errors than not!

Forkball

About ten hours in or so. I'm enjoying it so far, although it does feel like Suikoden Lite.

Good:

Top quality presentation. The graphics are amazing as the character models look nice and the scenery is gorgeous. The music is solid, and the anime cutscenes are pretty well animated.

Good story so far, despite it being a bit more lighthearted. There are a few serious elements there, so you can really feel the Suikoden elements in there. The game is definitely not a generic RPG with the Suikoden name slapped on it.

EXP system is solid, I love jumping up four or five levels after a major battle. It does make some areas completely useless though as you can go from getting 600 EXP from an enemy to 15 EXP in a few minutes.

The battle system is fun, although I'd rather have six man parties. The magic system works well and the auto function is nice.

Bad:

No weapon mastery? This makes a lot of characters really generic, as you basically just slap the best equipment on anyone.

No way to track how many Stars of Destiny I've recruited? Does this show up later in the game?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but is there anyway I can change my party in my castle? I always have to go to an inn to do this. Am I missing something here?

voiceactingomglolz

WTF:

Porpos-kin. Seriously? That is a name?

What's up with Shairah's outfit? Actually, what's up with the well-endowment all around? This is an E 10+ game. Won't someone please think of the children?

leroidys

Forkball said:
No weapon mastery? This makes a lot of characters really generic, as you basically just slap the best equipment on anyone.

Yeah this is the most glaringly crappy casualized part IMO

Forkball said:
No way to track how many Stars of Destiny I've recruited? Does this show up later in the game?

Shows up later

Forkball said:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but is there anyway I can change my party in my castle? I always have to go to an inn to do this. Am I missing something here?

Yes, Talk to the girl from that mining town in the room west of the mission room (sorry for being vague, I can't remember her name ATM.)

shykyoichi said:
If you have continued reading after that, you'll find that I've quoted someone for the answer. Rather than selectively quoting me, kindly read the whole post.
I noticed that you quoted someone else, but I just gave the "thumbs up" for caring enough to point it out to me. I searched and couldnt find an easy list that involved minimal reading due to spoilers, so I appreciated it.

abstract alien said:
I noticed that you quoted someone else, but I just gave the "thumbs up" for caring enough to point it out to me. I searched and couldnt find an easy list that involved minimal reading due to spoilers, so I appreciated it.
Oh. Sorry if my response seems grouchy. I assumed you were sarcastic with your thumbs up.

Forkball said:
Zenoa brings with her the Tablet of Stars which you could use to check if you're missing certain SoDs.
Forkball said:
leroidys said:
Yes, Talk to the girl from that mining town in the room west of the mission room (sorry for being vague, I can't remember her name ATM.)
Erin.

shykyoichi said:
Oh. Sorry if my response seems grouchy. I assumed you were sarcastic with your thumbs up.
Its cool. You never know around here sometimes, but I was being genuinely appreciative. Gotta show love for helping a fellow suikoden-er out :D
Augemitbutter said:
think i have about 5-10 hours left.

the VA seems to get worse with every passing hour :lol
I thought I was looking my mind, but I guess it really does get worse :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Thanks GAF, this game is a lot of fun :)

After clearing a few games from my back catalog I decided to give this game a try today (I am incoherently sick, can barely focus on anything so a handheld with simpsons s9 in the background seemed like a plan to me) and taking the advice of GAF I have been able to enjoy it a lot (also I don't use volume so I can ignore what is apparently horrible VA lol)

Soule

Bit the bullet and got this, really enjoying it so far. Thanks GAF last few games I've bought on GAFs recommendation weren't my favourites but having a blast with this one so far :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just don't let the VAs detract yourself from enjoying some sublime music in this game.

Mislato River tune, visiting Naineneis for the first time and not wanting to leave because of the music, the music that plays at the Magedom of Janam in the latter half of the game, and of the course the Woodland Village song is awesome. Such great music at times.

speedpop said:
Just don't let the VAs detract yourself from enjoying some sublime music in this game.

Mislato River tune, visiting Naineneis for the first time and not wanting to leave because of the music, the music that plays at the Magedom of Janam in the latter half of the game, and of the course the Woodland Village song is awesome. Such great music at times.

totally agree on everything. i've already ordered the extra OST to enjoy the music after i beat the game.

speedpop said:

My fav.

Mejilan said:
I'm sure NPD has something on the game. ;p
I'll just wait for it then. :p
Though Gensopedia lists the JP sales as 151K and a certain site :D lists 170k for JP and 20k for NA though I don't know where they got the number.

Top Bottom