• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
JodyAnthony said:
the voice acting itself isn't too bad, but whydoestheherotalklikethiswithnopausesinbetweenhiswords?
maybe that's their idea of a character arc.... once his character grows and learns, he starts talking like a normal person.

i think the art in this game is gorgeous, and the 3d is definitely ok. must keep going...

after getting stuck for 3 hours in that plains area, i desided to go back...and discovered i was in a "different" part of the plains..... :mad:
.... oh well *sigh*

so i advanced through and nooooo
Cougar died
:'''(.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit! A 256MB cart! It'll take me ages to dump the ROM. 8 passes! Uuuugh. *puts on movie*

matmanx1

Some of the WORST voice acting Ive ever heard in a video game is found in this DS cart. And I've been around awhile so that's saying something!

Thankfully, the battles are fun, fast and look really good at the same time. And of course the music is great. But seriously, why in 2009 are we having to put up with VA this bad from Konami of all places?

Link Man

Banned
Now, it may just be me, but the manual for this game is probably the least useful I've ever seen.

Can somebody tell me what the hand stat is? I figured out everything else.

Alsomaybetheheroisanadolescentwhoisfullofenergyasadolescentsalwaysseemtobe. OrmaybehechuggedawholebottleofMtnDeworsubsistsonpixistixformeals.

Link Man

Banned
To be honest, I find Liu's voice actor to be MUCH more annoying than the hero's.

Also, I'm a little put-off by the way that FULLY-CAPITALIZED WORDS are NOT stressed in the voiceover.

D-Pad

speedpop said:
Why did I highlight this? WHY.

:lol As if I didn't learn from the Mother 3 thread, damn it, but this time I already knew it. I knew just from watching the Japanese trailer. I knew it.

Mejilan

Does anyone know what the canonical name is for the hero in this game?
Manual suggests that it MIGHT be "Genso," but that could just be Konami having some fun... :)

Fireblend

Banned
Ok, wtf is wrong with the main character's voice acting? :lol Did they have to talk fast like that so it would fit on the cartridge or something? :lol Otherwise so far plays great.

Fireblend said:
Ok, wtf is wrong with the main character's voice acting? :lol Did they have to talk fast like that so it would fit on the cartridge or something? :lol Otherwise so far plays great.

:lol yeah, I assume it's because of cartridge limitation or something, like they only have limited amount of time for voice acting and main character have the most dialogue or something. I think that because the voice acting is much better in anime cutscenes

leroidys

I just played this game for about 25 minutes. So far its REALLY GOOD. The voice acting doesn't irritate me at all, but I'm sure reading 8 pages of how awful it was lowered my expectations enough for it to be bearable.

This game is absolutely GORGEOUS. The backgrounds all look fantastic, and when you leave your village the overworld really looks fantastic. I really enjoy the art, its more cohesive than any game since II. In 3-5 it was really jarring for me when you got some character that looked straight out of yu gi oh or something, but in this game all the characters seem to be cut from the same cloth if you will; much more believably from one world.

Backdrops are amazing looking, character portraits are fantastic, cut-scenes are awesome, menu system looks great. Honestly, this game looks way better than FF IIIr or FF IVr.

So far, this game for me ranks...

II>Tierkreis>III>I>IV (Haven't played V)

One painful part of this game is that when you save, a really good looking sprite of your main character shows up and walks as a kind of loading... animation. It makes me wish they had done sprites for all the characters, but the 3d models are really good for what they are.

SilverLunar said:
Help i am stuck:

I am at the mission where the west half of the Ch'olui mountains has turned into plains and some of the Forious Roar tribe are supposed to appear there, I reached the plains and there was a mysterious ruins there, i entered it and i am pretty sure i checked the whole place and it is a dead end!

what sould i do?? I left the DS in sleep mode for a while because of this :(

Answer:

You went to the wrong path. You should go to the plains (another path before you reach the mountain peak) rather than going down the rope (leading to the ruins).

Link Man said:
Now, it may just be me, but the manual for this game is probably the least useful I've ever seen.

Can somebody tell me what the hand stat is? I figured out everything else.

Alsomaybetheheroisanadolescentwhoisfullofenergyasadolescentsalwaysseemtobe. OrmaybehechuggedawholebottleofMtnDeworsubsistsonpixistixformeals.

Skill stat.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SilverLunar said:
after getting stuck for 3 hours in that plains area, i desided to go back...and discovered i was in a "different" part of the plains..... :mad:
.... oh well *sigh*

Cougar died

Is it part of the story? DDDDDDD:

Mejilan said:
Does anyone know what the canonical name is for the hero in this game?
Manual suggests that it MIGHT be "Genso," but that could just be Konami having some fun... :)

I'm waiting for the Tierkreis novel/manga. Most of the previous hero names came from those, right?

leroidys said:
One painful part of this game is that when you save, a really good looking sprite of your main character shows up and walks as a kind of loading... animation. It makes me wish they had done sprites for all the characters, but the 3d models are really good for what they are.

I think that character walking sprites has been in every suikoden. I know Suikoden 5 has it, and it just tease me wanting a full new 2d suikoden with sprites

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
leroidys said:
I just played this game for about 25 minutes.

So far, this game for me ranks...

II>Tierkreis>III>I>IV (Haven't played V)
That's quite the opinion after only 25 minutes. This game is NOT as good as I, or III, or V.

RayX

I agree and can say more:
This new Suikoden Chapter is one of the worst jRPG I've been playing in YEARS.
It plays by itself!
Talking after almost 10 hours: a decent storyline and good graphics,
can't bear a game which is mmmm dull!

ITA84

Effect said:
So how has the sales for Suikoden Tierkreis been so far?

If you mean Japanese sales, they've been reported somewhere in this thread: it's at a bare minimum of 110K, with Magicbox putting it at about 150K as of last year.

If you meant US/EU sales, it's still too early, and we might even get no info about them.

Mejilan

Yeah, ship date was the 17th, most stores had it in yesterday.

shykyoichi said:
I'm waiting for the Tierkreis novel/manga. Most of the previous hero names came from those, right?

I think you're right. Are they making one for Tierkreis?

leroidys

Mutagenic said:
That's quite the opinion after only 25 minutes. This game is NOT as good as I, or III, or V.

III (IMHO of course) sucks, haven't played V. Well it doesn't suck, but the art is awful, Hugo is awful, the traveling sucks, the castle sucks, the music is great, the story is pretty good.

I probably shouldn't haver posted such glowing impressions after such a short playtime, but I was just excited that this game seems to be nowhere near the crapfest that many here are painting it.

Erekiddo

SilverLunar said:
.... oh well *sigh*

Cougar died

How far into the game is this?

Duck Amuck said:
Tierkreis is better than III? Well my doubts have been killed!

keep in mind it comes from someone who don't like III, Suikoden III is a hit and miss among suikoden fans, some like it, some hate it.

I don't remember much about III storyline, but I remember some emotional scenes in III that imo is better than Tierkreis. I still haven't beat Tierkreis, so it could chance, but so far, I think III has more powerful story. the story in Tierkreis so far is interesting, engaging, but really tame and don't have that powerful emotional impact like other suikoden (except IV)

Ookami-kun said:
Is it part of the story? DDDDDDD:
Yeah.

NeoNess said:
How far into the game is this?
about 12-13 hours.

So now i am at Lv.36, 23 hours in and reached the part where the story stops making sence,
The old lady in Liu's village talks about the truth of the True/Fales Chronicles and their role in predicting natural disasters and what not, how stuff disappear from a world starts pooping up in another for no real reason and...
it is too much it didn't make sence to me @_@

oh and when I
freed Astrasia, Chrodechild should have killed her sister in my opinion, it would serve as a better story twist, and this jerk doesn't deserve to live anyway,...
lol at the fake
crying
in that cutsene it was supposed to be dramatic but it was ruined by that god awful voice that couldn't even pull off a
crying
act.

Yazus

Should I get this or not? I never played a Suikoden game I am a JRPG and turn based whore (as an ARPG one). If it's a SPRG I'll hate it tho
Someone give me advices :D

bryehn

Mejilan said:
It's a turn-based JRPG, not an SRPG. You could do far worse on the system.

That's for sure. Enjoyed my first couple hours with this one. The VA is pretty bad. It's definitely sped up, you can tell because the voices are different (lower) during the anime scenes. That said, the amount of VA is great and makes the game feel more engaging.

I've really only played Suikoden 1, 5 and Tactics, so I'm not that attached to the original universe that much compared to some people. Tierkreis is on the easy side more sure and it's pretty linear so far, but it's been an enjoyable ride to this point for me.

Yazus said:
Should I get this or not? I never played a Suikoden game I am a JRPG and turn based whore (as an ARPG one). If it's a SPRG I'll hate it tho
Someone give me advices :D
I never played a Suikoden game before, I say get this, it is not a bad game at all, the story is the highlight for me so far...although now in my playthrough too much stuff happened in a short time that it stoped making sence, I hope everything clears up soon.

SilverLunar said:
Yeah.

about 12-13 hours.

So now i am at Lv.36, 23 hours in and reached the part where the story stops making sence,
The old lady in Liu's village talks about the truth of the True/Fales Chronicles and their role in predicting natural disasters and what not, how stuff disappear from a world starts pooping up in another for no real reason and...
it is too much it didn't make sence to me @_@

oh and when I
freed Astrasia, Chrodechild should have killed her sister in my opinion, it would serve as a better story twist, and this jerk doesn't deserve to live anyway,...
lol at the fake
crying
in that cutsene it was supposed to be dramatic but it was ruined by that god awful voice that couldn't even pull off a
crying
act.

it's really tame for a suikoden game, I'm about where you are and there's only
2 deaths, Cougar's death is off screen, and that old lady is near death anyway, and we've only just met her so I don't feel anything, the three empress plot thread could have made an interesting situation, instead, we got no conflict at all, we just leave Janam and that bald king don't even pursue us

leroidys

Callibretto said:
keep in mind it comes from someone who don't like III, Suikoden III is a hit and miss among suikoden fans, some like it, some hate it.

I don't remember much about III storyline, but I remember some emotional scenes in III that imo is better than Tierkreis. I still haven't beat Tierkreis, so it could chance, but so far, I think III has more powerful story. the story in Tierkreis so far is interesting, engaging, but really tame and don't have that powerful emotional impact like other suikoden (except IV)

Yeah I'm definitely in the minority about III on neogaf, so you probably shouldn't listen to me duck. :D

I'm kind of in the middle about III... for me, It didn't get interesting until I had played for 20 hours.

Suikoden V is my favorite Suikoden game.. and I've played I, III and V. I couldn't get into II.. I guess my expectations were too high and I had just played Suikoden I.. I ended up selling it before I really had a chance to play it.

Link Man

Banned
The game starts to pick up in the mining town, I feel. I'm finding it quite addictive, and I love the co-op attacks (even though I've only seen two so far).

My advice: use the stylus, it really is better than the traditional controls for this game.

Oh, and I figured out why I hate Liu's voice: it sounds like Mokuba from Yugioh (or at least the abridged series).

Just picked this up. I had buyer's remorse before I even bought it. I loved Suikoden I and II, every Suikoden since has been a disappointment for me. What I really want is a JRPG with a really adult story. Something like Suikoden II or FF Tactics, with government and religion, where I, as the player, am questioning what I am doing. But I know that isn't in this game, it is something else entirely, which isn't to say that it will be bad but which does explain my buyer's remorse before even buying it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Duck Amuck said:
The amount of voice acting is ridiculous in this so far.

...Is there a way to turn voice acting off? :lol

if i could turn off the voices, i'd still have to read this terrible dialogue. seems like every part of this game was done extremely well....and they completely ignored the writing and acting.

mattiewheels said:
if i could turn off the voices, i'd still have to read this terrible dialogue. seems like every part of this game was done extremely well....and they completely ignored the writing and acting.

I don't mind the writing at all, I've played jrpg with way worse writing than this (Wild Arms 4 and some tales of games come too mind). I actually thought the writing is one of the thing the game did right.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Callibretto said:
I don't mind the writing at all, I've played jrpg with way worse writing than this (Wild Arms 4 and some tales of games come too mind). I actually thought the writing is one of the thing the game did right.
Amen to that. Anyone who is hating on the writing in this game has never played a substantial amount of RPGs. It's only been in the past 2-3 years where localisation processes in RPGs have become a lot better than what they used to.

Mejilan

Way too blurry to see, but that seemingly strange looking m (in remote) is clearly different than the n (in own / not).

Top Bottom