• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Because I didn't buy that copy of the game from them, so I have no business faking a return. It doesn't sit well with me, and I figure that the game's better sent to someone interested in the game but unwilling to shell out for the inflated price...

shykyoichi said:
Thank you for supporting Tierkreis... TWICE.
Gotta make up for the pirates somehow...?

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
Because I didn't buy that copy of the game from them, so I have no business faking a return. It doesn't sit well with me, and I figure that the game's better sent to someone interested in the game but unwilling to shell out for the inflated price...

Well, that is your call. If you don't feel comfortable, then by all means don't do it.

But I am just saying doing that is not shady by any means as you did actually purchase a copy from them. Whether it's the exact same copy or not is irrelevant (at least in this kind of situation).

Now if you bought it at Gamecrazy and returned it to Gamestop, I can see your point about it being skeevy.

Alcander

Haha it would be no different than if you hadn't opened your copy from GS and returned that one instead.... seriously it's the same game.

But if you really want to try to sell it to someone else then, meh

Mejilan

We're arguing semantics here, and not really relevant to the thread anymore. Suffice it to say that I'm not comfortable with the fraudulent return, and would rather see the game in the hands of a (potential) fan.

Man, Suikoden rocks!

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
We're arguing semantics here, and not really relevant to the thread anymore. Suffice it to say that I'm not comfortable with the fraudulent return, and would rather see the game in the hands of a (potential) fan.

Man, Suikoden rocks!

I agree, it is off topic, I am just saying it isn't a fraudulent return. But back to the topic at hand.

Mejilan

And in my eyes, it is. I'd be returning something I did not buy from their store, and effectively tricking them into accepting it. That's morally fraudulent, if not legally so.

Alcander said:
Fair enough.

So I want to pick it up today, what's the general consensus? :)

It's great! Buy my copy and save yourself $5 + tax! ;p
In all seriousness, it's a pretty big departure from the Suikoden formula, but still a substantial, deep, involving JRPG with some really cool technical achievements. Definitely one of the prettiest and most impressive JRPG efforts on the system. It has it's fair share of flaws, but also works pretty damn well as a portable RPG, thanks to the mission structure it adopted.

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
And in my eyes, it is. I'd be returning something I did not buy from their store, and effectively tricking them into accepting it. That's morally fraudulent, if not legally so.

Well, ok. It is your call as it is your game.

Shouta

Man, darn impulse buys.

SuikoTbooks.jpg

D-Pad

^ Is that coming to NA?

I played this almost non-stop yesterday and I think the battle system in Tierkreis should be standard in all turn-based RPGs. Seriously, the battles go by so fast and are actually thrilling to watch. That said I can now understand the use of 3D, at least for the battle system.

Also, some of the voice actors sound so blah saying their lines. Forget the hero's speed talking, I'm talking about Dirk and some others that don't know how to put emphasis on some of the things being said. It's quite frustrating to read something one way only having to hear it being said another way.

And what is up with the spelling of some of these names?

Anyways, I just got (Spoiler?)
Cougar
and now I'm going to do another quest. So far, Tierkreis falls #2 on my list of favorite RPGs, right under Mother 3. :D

Wanace

This game is great. I'm kinda annoyed that I
missed some quests from Moana when my company separated from the Magedom.
anyone know if I'll be able to have the chance to do them again?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I did that exact same thing with Lost Odyssey last year. I had picked up a copy at GS but forgot that I had one on preorder with eBay about a month earlier. When it showed up at my door, it was factory sealed and new, so I took it to GS for a refund.They got what they sold me, a sealed copy of LO that they could sell to someone else and I got my money back, and I didn't feel the slightest bit bad about it. I ended up spending the refund with them about 2 weeks later...though I can't remember what I bought

Cryptozoologist said:
This game is great. I'm kinda annoyed that I
missed some quests from Moana when my company separated from the Magedom.
anyone know if I'll be able to have the chance to do them again?

Some quest, subsequently some SoDs are missable.

Captain N

Mejilan said:

I think we already talked about this, but I can't stand having a made up name for my main characters. I know in Dragon Quest I keep Hero and its funny because my wife is the other way around. She'll go through tons of name books and websites before she even picks a name.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I name every JRPG silent protagonist Hiro, including all Suikoden games including this one (though excluding III).

Mejilan

Captain N said:
I think we already talked about this, but I can't stand having a made up name for my main characters. I know in Dragon Quest I keep Hero and its funny because my wife is the other way around. She'll go through tons of name books and websites before she even picks a name.

Well, the MC kind of looks like a Jane to me...
For DQ, I name the hero Loto if a default doesn't exist.

Mejilan,

Unfortunately what you'll get from amazon is a copy of teirkreis shrink-wrapped in with a cd that has 18 tracks of music and a flash-based artwork display.

You wouldn't have been able to return it anyway because the game itself isn't wrapped.

Had I known that it wasn't an honest to goodness artbook, I'd have probably waited until the game dropped in price.

I was pissed off that Rune Factory Frontier wasn't available when I went to store to get in for my monthly game purchrases (I didn't get alot of games i wanted as well:[).

..So i called my main character Laguna :p

Shouta

Mejilan said:
Oooh, do any of those have an official name for the main character?

His character name looks to be Sig, Shig or Shigu as that's what he's referred to in the comics and stories presented in the character guide.

The character guide (colored cover) has info on the characters and includes some short manga and short stories for quite a few of them.

The illustration and artworks book is the standard stuff. The art pieces and character sketches for the 108. Very nice books.

Mejilan

Shouta said:
His character name looks to be Sig, Shig or Shigu as that's what he's referred to in the comics and stories presented in the character guide.

Thank you. Looks like we're narrowing things down a bit, then...

Shouta said:
The following information is from the Suikosource Forums. Following the German naming theme, the hero's name is most likely Sieg, which means victory. (Tierkreis means Zodiac FYI.) The castle is named Rätselhaft (mysterious) and the company is Viele Wege (many roads). These names come from the character guide/short stories Shouta mentioned.

Mejilan

Gunloc said:
The following information is from the Suikosource Forums. Following the German naming theme, the hero's name is most likely Sieg, which means victory. (Tierkreis means Zodiac FYI.) The castle is named Rätselhaft (mysterious) and the company is Viele Wege (many roads). These names come from the character guide/short stories Shouta mentioned.

*fist pimp*

leroidys

I'm not sure about フィルヴェーク being viele wege. It seems like the katakana would be something more like ヒルベ ーグ.

leroidys said:
I'm not sure about フィルヴェーク being viele wege. It seems like the katakana would be something more like ヒルベ ーグ.
Even with the V sounding Ws in German?

I'm a couple hours in right now.. and I have to say I'm impressed.. the pacing is quite good.. battles are fun, graphics are great for the DS... the music makes it feel like suikoden more than anything else.. especially the field theme. I don't think I've ever played a game in this series where so much has happened from a plot standpoint this early in the game.

leroidys

Gunloc said:
Even with the V sounding Ws in German?

Yeah I speak German ok, but am not that familiar with how things are rendered into katakana. It just seems like a really weird spelling of it.

Ah, I see. I don't speak German or Japanese, I'm just relaying the information. Though I do remember the V = F sound and W = V sound present in German.

Do you have any alternate suggestions?

leroidys

Gunloc said:
Ah, I see. I don't speak German or Japanese, I'm just relaying the information. Though I do remember the V = F sound and W = V sound present in German.

Do you have any alternate suggestions?

I just looked up the katakana article on wikipedia. I'm only in my 3rd quarter of Japanese so I haven't done a ton of katakana and didn't realize that combo was actually pronounced as a V, so that's my main complaint removed.

If it was "viele Weg," then it would end in a 'K' sound, but it wouldn't be grammatical (as far as I know, maybe its possible in colloquial speech.)

So I think it should be viel Weg.

leroidys said:
I just looked up the katakana article on wikipedia. I'm only in my 3rd quarter of Japanese so I haven't done a ton of katakana and didn't realize that combo was actually pronounced as a V, so that's my main complaint removed.

If it was "viele Weg," then it would end in a 'K' sound, but it wouldn't be grammatical (as far as I know, maybe its possible in colloquial speech.)
The Katakana posted on Suikosource is as follows: フィルヴェーク団. (I noticed you had フィルヴェーク on the last page, missing the 団 character.)

Running that through Excite Translator (The best online Japanese translator I know of.) I get "[Firuve-ku] group".

Is the "ku" the 'K' sound you're looking for? Sorry if this is a dumb question, my current understanding of the Japanese language is not where I'd like it to be.

leroidys

Gunloc said:
The Katakana posted on Suikosource is as follows: フィルヴェーク団. (I noticed you had フィルヴェーク on the last page, missing the 団 character.)

Running that through Excite Translator (The best online Japanese translator I know of.) I get "[Firuve-ku] group".

Is the "ku" the 'K' sound you're looking for? Sorry if this is a dumb question, my current understanding of the Japanese language is not where I'd like it to be.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about not the kanji. Final consonants in German are devoiced, so if its Wege it will be pronounced vay-guh, and if its Weg, it will be pronounced vayk.

The kanji is pronounced "dan".

Running "viel Weg" through a translator gets "far way" (running viel weg through the same translator gets "far away"). Not quite as relevant as "many ways".

I wish I knew more about the two languages so I could help out, but I think I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable to figure this one out.

Thanks for the input leroidys.

mjc

I've put in about 20 minutes so far and I'm enjoying it. The only thing that bothers me about the game is the voice acting.... and I'm basically talking about the random speeding up that happens with some character's dialogue. It seems like the main character isn't the only one that is sped up into oblivion so that bugs me a bit.

tenritsu

Banned
So I've played 10 hours, and other than enjoying it a lot, I was wondering...

WHERE CAN I GET THIS OST. I know it was a preorder bonus but man the music's so awesome.

need help with recruiting this character, to be safe, don't read this unless you beat the game already, or past 35 hours of gameplay

Nakil, I'm just one event away from going to warn Janam and the dessert appear, I got Hafin in Mislato River and Wustum in snowy mountain, but I can't trigger the event to get Nakil, guide in suikosource told me to have Asad in my party and go enter my HQ to trigger the event but it just won't happen. help?

leroidys

Gunloc said:
Running "viel Weg" through a translator gets "far way" (running viel weg through the same translator gets "far away"). Not quite as relevant as "many ways".

I wish I knew more about the two languages so I could help out, but I think I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable to figure this one out.

Thanks for the input leroidys.

Viel just means many or much. Viele is the plural form to correspond to the plural noun. I could kind of see viel Weg making sense, because the "one way" in the game would be something like der einzige Weg, so keeping it singular for der viele Weg or whatever would parallel that.

Gunloc said:

I speak both German and Japanese.

leroidys said:

Final /g/ sounds as /k/

leroidys said:
Viel just means many or much. Viele is the plural form to correspond to the plural noun.

Since plural forms are feminine, you add -e. I.e. Viel + fem = Viele

Callibretto said:
need help with recruiting this character, to be safe, don't read this unless you beat the game already, or past 35 hours of gameplay

Nakil, I'm just one event away from going to warn Janam and the dessert appear, I got Hafin in Mislato River and Wustum in snowy mountain, but I can't trigger the event to get Nakil, guide in suikosource told me to have Asad in my party and go enter my HQ to trigger the event but it just won't happen. help?

If the desert over Janam already appeared and you haven't got Hafin or Nakil, you've missed them.

D-Pad

I don't get the "Find I
ca
s" quest. Am I supposed to meet the dispatched team somewhere in Grayridge or what? :S

Top Bottom