• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Uncharted 2: Among Thieves MP Demo Impressions Thread

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dralla said:
they can just add an elimination playlist. parties/matchmaking is great.

That would be the optimal solution. Make a playlist for every gametype and then have matchmaking do the matchmaking for it. Custom games like pistola or whatever + sniper is in that playlist and able to be voted in (something Halo 3/Gears of War/etc. etc. FUCKING NEED TO PICK UP IF THEY'RE USING THIS STUPID SHIT), but if I want to play elimination right now I'm fucking hosed because it's up to the players (which is a good idea, but bad for gametypes I prefer).

VegaShinra

I'm loving this experience. I almost don't want to play it too much because the info won't move over to the actual game. I'll play this until the retail release.

Will we have to download the PSN edition, too? We'll end up downloading this demo 3 times....:lol

Jaroof

Man, this wait is killing me!
This feels like the longest day I've had to ever wait!
I should have been playing this today! :(

Damn Gamestop.

Irish

I'm good in the Village and Ice caves, decent in the temple, and terrible in the Plaza.

Any other GAF parties? Kilgore's is usually full. BrokenOath

TripOpt55

Man this game is such a blast. I did get a few elimination matches. The one lasted all five rounds and I did really good. I got 8 kills and 2 deaths and we won 3 to 2. I never play games like that, but it's really awesome. It's so intense You sort of have to be really careful and hunt the opponent at times. It' sweet. I liked both the new maps, they are quite good.

I tried playing the new game-type that is grouped with plunder, but eveyone always picked plunder. Is the other one any good (I forget it's name)? Hopefully I can try it tomorrow.

Also haven't been able to do co-op. None of my friends hae the beta and I just can't play with random people on co-op. I'll see if anyone on my list has it tomorrow night if not maybe some people here will play some co-op with me. I really want to try Gold Rush.

Also, I agree about the playlist thing. They could keep it the way it is, so, if you don't care which mode you play you can use one of those playlists, but then make it so you can choose a more specific playlist or whatever.

dralla

TheSeks said:
That would be the optimal solution. Make a playlist for every gametype and then have matchmaking do the matchmaking for it. Custom games like pistola or whatever + sniper is in that playlist and able to be voted in (something Halo 3/Gears of War/etc. etc. FUCKING NEED TO PICK UP IF THEY'RE USING THIS STUPID SHIT), but if I want to play elimination right now I'm fucking hosed because it's up to the players (which is a good idea, but bad for gametypes I prefer).

You can't make a playlist for every game type becuase it would be spreading the community to thin, the less playlists the more they'll be populated. I would be happy with a Deathmatch, Elimination, and Objective playlists. 3 is still a low number and I think Elimination is fundementally different than DM and warrants its own playlist.

imperium

Foxix said:
Still saying it's invalid.

VQ

Not that I would know anything about this but if you're entering the code from the Gamestop preorder card, make sure you enter the code for the demo and not the code for the bonus in-game item. Just saying..

Foxix Von

imperium said:
Not that I would know anything about this but if you're entering the code from the Gamestop preorder card, make sure you enter the code for the demo and not the code for the bonus in-game item. Just saying..

Tried entering the top one, and then on the off chance that it was somehow printed backwards I tried the other one, both invalid =/ I'll have to make a trip tomorrow morning into work. ugh. Good looking out for that though, thanks.

VQ

Jaroof

Foxix said:
Tried entering the top one, and then on the off chance that it was somehow printed backwards I tried the other one, both invalid =/ I'll have to make a trip tomorrow morning into work. ugh. Good looking out for that though, thanks.

VQ

Make sure they didn't give you a beta voucher from June.
That's what happened to me >_<

Shurs said:
Why do you keep typing VQ at the end of your posts?

Yeah! What he said

imperium

Foxix said:

VQ

Do you have any 8 or B's in your code? I got a code invalid my 1st few attempts unlike I figured out that the 8 was actually a B.

holy crap this game looks amazing. Maybe its a placebo thing going on, but looks better than the last beta to me.

Being able to dangle off the side of a building and finding sweet hiding spots is so much fun. almost like hide and seek in game form.

I feel like i waited all day to see it, and now i dont want to play too much and spoil the whole thing.

so we've probably confirmed that this isn't shareable?

:(

edit: someone please confirm for me so I can start weeping either from sorrow or joy

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Amazing game so far, Temple is my fav map. Ice Cave not so much, but the design is good.

If anyone is doing a party, let me know (id = berbrice)

I would rank the maps:

Ice > Temple > Plaza > Village

All great. Except village, just because I've played it like eight times in a row at one point.

Dementia

awesome games tonight kilgore, ryanardo, jtrizzy, and kitton. the domination continues :D

btw kilgore i got a couple of shots in cinema mode of your clever bbq+grenade into a corner tactic that i'll post later :lol

Foxix Von

imperium said:
Do you have any 8 or B's in your code? I got a code invalid my 1st few attempts unlike I figured out that the 8 was actually a B.

Yeah, I've got a couple and I've tried swapping them out a bit but to no avail. I'll definitely try it out some more combinations though.

Jaroof said:
Make sure they didn't give you a beta voucher from June.
That's what happened to me >_<

Yeah! What he said

Gah, if it's the one that's valid starting in august is it wrong? I sort of just snagged whatever came first out of the promo drawer. Was that the one for the beta and not the demo? On the card I snagged it's advertised as a demo.

And to answer the second question! I should probably also warn of spoilers in the link :p I really love Daft Punk, and the cute wordplay on the Discovery album basically. I just kind of got in the habit after seeing Interstella 5555 and now it would just seem weird to stop. I use it for everything now, usernames etc. I even went the extra mile and had something akin to it engraved on the back of my zune. I've kind of grown attached to it and it seems less intrusive as say something like... I dunno ...my man.

VQ

Jaroof

Foxix said:
Gah, if it's the one that's valid starting in august is it wrong? I sort of just snagged whatever came first out of the promo drawer. Was that the one for the beta and not the demo? On the card I snagged it's advertised as a demo.

And to answer the second question! I should probably also warn of spoilers in the link :p I really love Daft Punk, and the cute wordplay on the Discovery album basically. I just kind of got in the habit after seeing Interstella 5555 and now it would just seem weird to stop. I use it for everything now, usernames etc. I even went the extra mile and had something akin to it engraved on the back of my zune. I've kind of grown attached to it and it seems less intrusive as say something like... I dunno ...my man.

VQ

Oh, well, if it's from August, you should be good (I think). Don't know why it wouldn't be working.. :|

And now I see the light. VQ is a pretty badass song.

Dementia said:
awesome games tonight kilgore, ryanardo, jtrizzy, and kitton. the domination continues :D

btw kilgore i got a couple of shots in cinema mode of your clever bbq+grenade into a corner tactic that i'll post later :lol

GAH!!! Killing me here :(
Tomorrow!! One more day!

Kittonwy

Banned
Are they going to have clan support?
angry.gif

MP beta is amazing btw. Pwning foolz with my FAIL riflez.
Indifferent2.gif

TheSeks

HOLY SHIT!

There is 10 rounds TOTAL in Co-op Arena, and I just finished them all in about 19min 32 seconds.

*cue that "WHOOOOOOO...WHOOO...WOO!".gif here*

That was a fucking rush. I FINALLY found some good people, one a random public person one from a previous co-op camp (not arena/gold rush) that I did with them. The co-op dude was kinda clueless but the Arena dude was awesome, we covered each other and ran routes where the enemies didn't spawn and generally hit the 3x speed/time bonus every round (with one hitting 2x). So fucking awesome. The score was like... 130,000-150,000 in total. We each had about 50K in points, so damn awesome.

CPLPhatD, I salute you and added you as a friend dude. If you're on/reading GAF I freaking love you man. Most public people that played that mode only got up to 4 before dying and leaving me stranded. Not you dude! Not you! :D

*so elated.jpg*

Foxix Von

Jaroof said:
Oh, well, if it's from August, you should be good (I think). Don't know why it wouldn't be working.. :|

And now I see the light. VQ is a pretty badass song.

GAH!!! Killing me here :(
Tomorrow!! One more day!

Like, I know totally, right!?

And yeah I just tried basically every option of switching B's and 8's without any luck. I just think fate didn't want me having uncharted AND Scribblenauts on the same day. My mind may have been blown.

VQ

bernardobri

TheSeks said:
HOLY SHIT!

There is 10 rounds TOTAL in Co-op Arena, and I just finished them all in about 19min 32 seconds.

*cue that "WHOOOOOOO...WHOOO...WOO!".gif here*

That was a fucking rush. I FINALLY found some good people, one a random public person one from a previous co-op camp (not arena/gold rush) that I did with them. The co-op dude was kinda clueless but the Arena dude was awesome, we covered each other and ran routes where the enemies didn't spawn and generally hit the 3x speed/time bonus every round (with one hitting 2x). So fucking awesome. The score was like... 130,000-150,000 in total. We each had about 50K in points, so damn awesome.

CPLPhatD, I salute you and added you as a friend dude. If you're on/reading GAF I freaking love you man. Most public people that played that mode only got up to 4 before dying and leaving me stranded. Not you dude! Not you! :D

*so elated.jpg*

Haha, that's awesome. Gonna try Coop Arena with more people (with BT or whatever)

Jaroof

Foxix said:
Like, I know totally, right!?

And yeah I just tried basically every option of switching B's and 8's without any luck. I just think fate didn't want me having uncharted AND Scribblenauts on the same day. My mind may have been blown.

VQ

I think it's the same for me, man.
Kilgore!!! *shakes fist*
(he got both without any problems :lol)

TheSeks

bernardobri said:
Haha, that's awesome. Gonna try Coop Arena with more people (with BT or whatever)

Let me just say, I think round 4 is when the game gets hard. And it gets DAMN hard in round 10. They start throwing those gat. gun dudes at you so it's like "FUCK!" while rushing around the enemies (the "rush" part in Gold Rush means exactly that, get the gold to the goal/point and put it in to stop the onslaught/bullets filling you) and having two teammates cover you (well, one in this case. The co-op dude started to learn and started to help but generally was off in his own world). :lol

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
So after playing the game for two hours or so, I'd say it's pretty damn good. I really like the mobility of your character, I don't feel tied down at all and I always feel like I can get out of a given situation.

That being said, some of the weapon balance is really iffy. Grenades and melee are RIDICULOUS. By my third match in I was going 24-5, 14-2, and 15-0 because I figured out how to juice kids with relatively little effort.

Couple of PROTIPS for those not in the know:

You see someone up ahead of you, jut tap L2 and you'll toss a grenade right at their feet usually. If the nade doesnt get them, your 2-3 pistol bullets will finish it.

When in doubt, press the melee button. I can't tell you how many times I just ran through the battlefield punching the melee button and finishing off kids that had a little damage on them.

Grenade Launcher = Win and a cursing out from your opponent.

So despite that, I think it's a really solid effort, especially considering this is thier first dabble into MP.

bernardobri

TheSeks said:
Let me just say, I think round 4 is when the game gets hard. And it gets DAMN hard in round 10. They start throwing those gat. gun dudes at you so it's like "FUCK!" while rushing around the enemies (the "rush" part in Gold Rush means exactly that, get the gold to the goal/point and put it in to stop the onslaught/bullets filling you) and having two teammates cover you (well, one in this case. The co-op dude started to learn and started to help but generally was off in his own world). :lol

Yeah, I noticed that after Round 4 the rhythm changes a lot. I don't imagine how to make it into round 20. (Can you repeat the odyssey with me please? :lol )

TheSeks

AnimatorZombie said:
So after playing the game for two hours or so, I'd say it's pretty damn good. I really like the mobility of your character, I don't feel tied down at all and I always feel like I can get out of a given situation.

That being said, some of the weapon balance is really iffy. Grenades and melee are RIDICULOUS. By my third match in I was going 24-5, 14-2, and 15-0 because I figured out how to juice kids with relatively little effort.

Couple of PROTIPS for those not in the know:

You see someone up ahead of you, jut tap L2 and you'll toss a grenade right at their feet usually. If the nade doesnt get them, your 2-3 pistol bullets will finish it.

When in doubt, press the melee button. I can't tell you how many times I just ran through the battlefield punching the melee button and finishing off kids that had a little damage on them.

Grenade Launcher = Win and a cursing out from your opponent.

So despite that, I think it's a really solid effort, especially considering this is thier first dabble into MP.

The problem is that the weapons are at Uncharted 1 levels (yes, the grenades were that powerful. As were all the other weapons. They were needed at those levels for Crushing), and that ND doesn't have much multiplayer experience. But I'm not looking for a "ZOMG COMPETITIVE" game, as Uncharted 2 fills the "pick-up-and-play" multiplayer online void that has been there for a bit now.

It's like MvC2, it may be unbalanced, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

bernardobri said:
Yeah, I noticed that after Round 4 the rhythm changes a lot. I don't imagine how to make it into round 20. (Can you repeat the odyssey with me please? )

Is there 20 rounds in the final, really? Because it's 10 complete rounds if you want the points to count for your cash (otherwise you have a "FAILED" and don't get the points you earned in that session) for the demo, and 10 rounds start getting damn hard.

I could play, but it's about 2AM EST here. Maybe some other way/tomorrow.

It's a shame the game doesn't save co-op/arena mode files as that was truly worth taking the time to upload to the ND servers and see if someone could Youtube that shit. I dunno if anyone else has completed that gametype since it just released, but mannnnn... :lol

bernardobri

TheSeks said:
The problem is that the weapons are at Uncharted 1 levels (yes, the grenades were that powerful. As were all the other weapons. They were needed at those levels for Crushing), and that ND doesn't have much multiplayer experience. But I'm not looking for a "ZOMG COMPETITIVE" game, as Uncharted 2 fills the "pick-up-and-play" multiplayer online void that has been there for a bit now.

It's like MvC2, it may be unbalanced, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Is there 20 rounds in the final, really? Because it's 10 complete rounds if you want the points to count for your cash (otherwise you have a "FAILED" and don't get the points you earned in that session) for the demo, and 10 rounds start getting damn hard.

I could play, but it's about 2AM EST here. Maybe some other way/tomorrow.

It's a shame the game doesn't save co-op/arena mode files as that was truly worth taking the time to upload to the ND servers and see if someone could Youtube that shit. I dunno if anyone else has completed that gametype since it just released, but mannnnn... :lol

Oh, I thought it was 20 levels, my mistake.

Lets meet tomorrow then

TheSeks

bernardobri said:
Oh, I thought it was 20 levels, my mistake.

Lets meet tomorrow then

Sure, we can do tomorrow evening. If you have a good third person that would be great as having two people taking on the hoard while the other slips by to take a lesser route (with the others catching up and staying put after the gold is in the create/round over to find the next treasure) I think it's doable again. :lol

It's going to suck having to do that again in the final version to have it on my stats though. (Come on Arne, ND: Let us keep our stats! :()

VegaShinra said:
I'm loving this experience. I almost don't want to play it too much because the info won't move over to the actual game. I'll play this until the retail release.
Haha same thing here. But damn the controls are awesome, can´t stop playing. This game might even deserve that 21/20.

Hopefully we can choose more what game modes to play. Regular Team Deathmatch is boring. I want to be able to chose other modes.

Coop arena is awesome. I have only played it with the game mod where you are suppose to deliver a treasure. Are there any other? Something more like invasion would rock. No I will not call it Horde, Gears didn´t invent it.

TheSeks

Tenkai Star said:
Coop arena is awesome. I have only played it with the game mod where you are suppose to deliver a treasure. Are there any other? Something more like invasion would rock. No I will not call it Horde, Gears didn´t invent it.

There isn't a horde in the demo. I dunno about the final. Arena in the demo is nothing but gold rush (and not a good way to get cash unless you're INSANELY good like I posted above. If you fail you get only about 3K in cash for ranking up).

TheSeks said:
There isn't a horde in the demo. I dunno about the final. Arena in the demo is nothing but gold rush (and not a good way to get cash unless you're INSANELY good like I posted above. If you fail you get only about 3K in cash for ranking up).
I was hoping for the main game. Dont really care about cash as long as it is fun, and it was. To bad I only found one guy to play with.
Hopefully we see some other modes in the full game.

AgentOtaku said:
!!! B R I L L I A N T !!!

:D :D :D

...though seeing 3 Chloe's at once is odd.
odd? or awesome!

Still gonna miss that split screen. But that PS3 slim is pretty cheap now I guess and I have played PS3 on my PC monitor before =P

bernardobri

TheSeks said:
Sure, we can do tomorrow evening. If you have a good third person that would be great as having two people taking on the hoard while the other slips by to take a lesser route (with the others catching up and staying put after the gold is in the create/round over to find the next treasure) I think it's doable again. :lol

It's going to suck having to do that again in the final version to have it on my stats though. (Come on Arne, ND: Let us keep our stats! :()

I will try to get a good 3rd guy. In any case, which map did you beat? I find the Plaza to be more easier than the Village.

TheSeks

bernardobri said:
I will try to get a good 3rd guy. In any case, which map did you beat? I find the Plaza to be more easier than the Village.

Plaza. I think Village would be just as easy, minus the elevation (which drops the treasure) for alternate routes/less cover to rush through.

I want to see if that's doable but I'll do Plaza with you. It's less a headache and there is only... 4 places where the gold can spawn and be placed (two of which require a toss to a teammate/toss-and-climb to get to).

netguy503

autobzooty said:
so we've probably confirmed that this isn't shareable?

:(

edit: someone please confirm for me so I can start weeping either from sorrow or joy

this has been confirmed throughout the day by people on this board that it is shareable but has the 24 hr. lock out. What don't you get?

This game is so, so good. Here are a few photos I snapped:

In the first match we get paired up with the guy running the Justin.tv stream, so I promptly pull him off a ledge:

15xqo13.jpg

Nice car explosion:

24cuybn.jpg

Elena and Chloe flirting:

x6acua.jpg

Kinan

Damn, the game is so good i forgot about Champions league yesterday. :)

Thanks all the gaffers for quite a few nice matches yesterday. I'm rusty as hell though, haven't played competitive multiplayer in ages. :)

Also I need to fix my headset. :p

Aladuf

Banned
Good god, this demo/beta was even better than the lofty standards I was setting it up to be in my head after playing the original beta a few months ago. It plays so well, the money earning system/cashing in for perks is addicting as hell, and it's just a blast to play. So glad that I'll be playing this until the actual game comes out. I played for about 7+ hours tonight and wouldn't have stopped if I didn't have to get to work early in the morning.

ThirdEngine said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/x6acua.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol Nice, we timed that up better than I thought we did in the game.

Irish

Playing as Heist Drake in the Village makes me feel like an absolute badass.

Still looking for other Gaffers to play with (even though I suck).

Has there been any indication as to whether or not there will be a similar gametype to the horde mode from gears? It's my understanding that the coop in the demo is somewhat different, more along the lines of getting from point A to B as opposed to surviving increasingly difficult waves of enemies?

Top Bottom