• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Uncharted 2: Among Thieves MP Demo Impressions Thread

arne

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man wish I was in this. When will the demo go public again? Needs to hurry up.
Next week. So soon.

SenorDingDong said:
Has there been any indication as to whethere there will be a similar gametype to the horde mode from gears? It's my understanding that the coop in the demo is somewhat different, more along the lines of getting from point A to B as opposed to surviving increasingly difficult waves of enemies?
Don´t think they have said anything. And yes it is now, find the treasure, when you find you will see where you should deliver it.
But because of the popularity of Horde it seems likely.
Hell even Ghostbusters had "Horde"

Darkatomz

My thoughts:

+just as much fun, if not more, than the inFamous beta
+more game menu music
+temple and ice cave
+the new tank in village level (LOL)
+enhanced graphics from first run
+cinema mode
+shop mode, new perks, skins, etc
+new guns since last time (RPG, ravamped nade launcher, pistola)
+many more game modes

-ice cave is kinda lousy
-no rewind in cinema mode
-melee is still problematic (you should be able to get out of a fistfight without getting forced to take two hits. after all, the first person to land the hit wins no matter what in this case...)
-headshots still seem somewhat worthless
-in elimination, if the time runs out, the team with the most people should win. stragglers should not be able to cause a tie, a la Gears
-shotgun autoaim is ridiculous
-RPG feels almost exactly the same as the nade launcher, only it has a smaller mag, slightly more power, and no dropoff (in which case, the nade launcher's dropoff was reduced. it almost flies straight now dammit)

Spent two hours-ish playing so far all on deathmatch, i'm at lv15. Had a game where I went 35-5 (granted, the other team wasn't very good), and some other games were I went 3:1, but mostly 2:1.

Hopefully I'll get more chances to play today after all my damn classes and workload gets lightened. Maybe with GAF even?

NeoUltima

Biggest annoyance...accidentally hitting X after a match and having to sit through the 'searching for party'. There needs to be a way to cancel out of that shit.

Darkatomz said:
My thoughts:

+just as much fun, if not more, than the inFamous beta
+more game menu music
+temple and ice cave
+the new tank in village level (LOL)
+enhanced graphics from first run
+cinema mode
+shop mode, new perks, skins, etc
+new guns since last time (RPG, ravamped nade launcher, pistola)
+many more game modes

-ice cave is kinda lousy
-no rewind in cinema mode
-melee is still problematic (you should be able to get out of a fistfight without getting forced to take two hits. after all, the first person to land the hit wins no matter what in this case...)
-headshots still seem somewhat worthless
-in elimination, if the time runs out, the team with the most people should win. stragglers should not be able to cause a tie, a la Gears
-shotgun autoaim is ridiculous
-RPG feels almost exactly the same as the nade launcher, only it has a smaller mag, slightly more power, and no dropoff (in which case, the nade launcher's dropoff was reduced. it almost flies straight now dammit)
Imma let you finish but first I want to comment those.
Ice cave a plus and a minus? Explain plix.
Rewind would be nice. Hopefully they are just trying to work it out and didn´t get it to work properly in the demo.
And about that getting out of meele. Do a barrel roll!
Don´t think I have gotten one headshot yet.
Elemination, haven´t played elimination yet but yeah that sounds like it need to be fixed.
Haven´t tried they shotgun very much yet. But autoaim is a dish best served to singleplayer only. Or atleast in very small portions in multplayer.
Yea increase dropoff on grenade launcher. Maybe its already like this but I would like to see the dropoff (like when you through grenades) when aiming with grenade launcher. Don´t know if I aimed with the grenade launcher so maybe its already like that.

Darkatomz said:
Spent two hours-ish playing so far all on deathmatch, i'm at lv15. Had a game where I went 35-5 (granted, the other team wasn't very good), and some other games were I went 3:1, but mostly 2:1.

Hopefully I'll get more chances to play today after all my damn classes and workload gets lightened. Maybe with GAF even?
Europe? Im going to play tonight.

Kinan

NeoUltima said:
Biggest annoyance...accidentally hitting X after a match and having to sit through the 'searching for party'. There needs to be a way to cancel out of that shit.

Heh, yesterday I accidentally pressed L1 and L2 while picking up a controller of a table at the start of the elimination round. Luckily I killed only myself and not all my team. :)

Stantron

My jaw is on the floor at how freak'n amazing this demo is. Love the music. The Temple level is drop dead gorgeous. Guns sound great. Menus and UI are well done. I will be spending a lot of time in co-op arena. So much fun.

I haven't taken too many pictures yet, but these were pretty neat:

11lq4gg.jpg

jfuot0.jpg

2lc5tva.jpg

2ags3mr.jpg

If anyone is interested in working on some simple machinima, add me on PSN :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dralla said:
they can just add an elimination playlist. parties/matchmaking is great.

This. There should be two separate Deathmatch playlists. With and without re-spawns. And then variations (RPG only/Sniper&Pistols etc) within those playlists.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
NeoUltima said:

What button are u supposed to press in the post-match screen anyway? X or Circle? I always press X. What does Circle do?

TTP said:
What button are u supposed to press in the post-match screen anyway? X or Circle? I always press X. What does Circle do?
Circle starts a new search for a game with the same preferences as the game you just played I think.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tenkai Star said:
Circle starts a new search for a game with the same preferences as the game you just played I think.

Ah, I see. Well, they should come up with a better description than "Select" and "Back". Select what? Back to what? Confusing.

Thrakier

There should be at least ONE no respawn mode, I agree.

Also, I need to hear some FOOTSTEPS. If there were louder footsteps I wouldn't have the feeling that the characters are floating over the floor. And I still don't like the animations, except drake. Especially the girls are running kinda strange. It's like...they are moving to slow for the distance they travel.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
There should be at least ONE no respawn mode, I agree.

Also, I need to hear some FOOTSTEPS. If there were louder footsteps I wouldn't have the feeling that the characters are floating over the floor. And I still don't like the animations, except drake. Especially the girls are running kinda strange. It's like...they are moving to slow for the distance they travel.

The funny thing is there is a Booster to silence your footsteps (apparently). :lol

Thrakier

TTP said:
The funny thing is there is a Booster to silence your footsteps (apparently). :lol

lolz

No, really, footsteps "ground" your character. If you don't hear footsteps you think this guy is flying instead of walking. Especially if you are walking through thick snow you should hear that crunching sound. I don't know why they don't make them louder. I'm sure that could bring a lot to the overall feeling of weight. Also the gun sounds are too loud in comparison.

EDIT:

Compare the gears sound when they start moving. Obviously, they are walking tanks and drake isn't but that doesn't mean that drake shouldn't make a sound while moving at all.

Kinan

Are there clan support planned? Only party system will not suffice imo.

Ordered new bluetooth headset, should arrive till weekend. I'll not be that silent as yesterday anymore, TTP :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
nlsqk1.jpg

Chloe must have stepped on something nasty.

svhtvs.jpg

Hell yeah motherfucker!

b4jcxh.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

k1s139.jpg

Uh oh.

2itred1.jpg

BLOOD HADOKEN!

e7mejp.jpg

Dislocated Sully taking a nap.

iop7cp.jpg

Chloe watching Midget Elena's sudden dysentery.

It's great to play this again! I really like the kill sound and the coop survival mode. I'm really impressed that ND was able to create such a beautiful MP experience the first time around!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do you use Machinima mode? I can't figure out how to record or do anything with it other than run around in a map.

Facism

If we play again tonight TTP, make sure you press circle after an elimination match so we get more of that good shit.

I love elimination so much.

Trick_GSF

Banned
First off, as someone who played the original to death, it's awesome to have the slightly remixed, original theme back. All the music, however is brilliant. Kudos to everyone who worked on that.

Secondly I have a question, I've only had a few games, but I'm not sure how to play deathmatch on the new levels. I keep getting The village and The plaza, is there anything I have to do, or is it just random? Cheers for any help you can give.

Rainy Dog

SecretBonusPoint said:
Just scammed play.com for a beta code, cancelled the order and so here we go! Look what you've made me resort to Naughty Dog!

Yeah, me too. Second time I've done it with them (Resistance 2). Almost feel guilty. Almost ;)

Liquid Helium said:
I just pre-orderd uncharted 2 off of play.com, how long does it usually take for the beta code to arrive?

Mine came through this morning after ordering yesterday afternoon.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Something weird happened to me yesterday. My character stopped responding during a fire fight, no matter what I did he just wouldn't move! Has it happened to anyone else here?

jiggles

Banned
Inanna Dan said:
Something weird happened to me yesterday. My character stopped responding during a fire fight, no matter what I did he just wouldn't move! Has it happened to anyone else here?

Does your controller need charged? :lol

firehawk12 said:
How do you use Machinima mode? I can't figure out how to record or do anything with it other than run around in a map.

Do whatever you want to do in the machinima mode game, then when you're done you have to quit and load the game from your replays (it auto records). Once you're in the replay mode, you can move the camera around, turn on the greenscreen, take screenshots, etc.

Angst

Trick_GSF said:
First off, as someone who played the original to death, it's awesome to have the slightly remixed, original theme back. All the music, however is brilliant. Kudos to everyone who worked on that.

Secondly I have a question, I've only had a few games, but I'm not sure how to play deathmatch on the new levels. I keep getting The village and The plaza, is there anything I have to do, or is it just random? Cheers for any help you can give.
Agree about the music, it's really good and I expect the full game to be even better. :D
About the levels - as I understand it's random, with a vote between two levels. So just vote for the one you want and hope the majority votes as you.

Inanna Dan said:

I think that's a lag glitch? I saw it happen to another player in a match where grenades were getting stuck and not exploding - which was an issue with laggy matches in the beta.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ThirstyFly said:
I think that's a lag glitch? I saw it happen to another player in a match where grenades were getting stuck and not exploding - which was an issue with laggy matches in the beta.
Ahh, hope it doesn't happen again. It only happened once while playing MP, never in co-op.

I'm really loving the co-op mode, oh and gold rush is awesome too! I hope there are tons of co-op levels in the final game. I don't like that they included the same old beta level for co-op, wish there were at least 2 co-op levels but I guess I can wait till 19th of Oct. :|

web01

DMeisterJ said:
Every time I try to play elimination, it's voted off.

How is it?

Reminds me of the last beta everyone voted against plunder.

My theory is 80% of gamers are boring as shit and want to play the same map and mode combos every single game so that they can rely on the same strategies they are familar with. You see it in tons of games.

jiggles

Banned
While elimination is awesome, I think I can see why people vote it off. The first time I was put in an elimination match, everybody just ran charging at eachother and the game was over in under 2 minutes. Maybe it was because there was no on-screen explanation that you have to be stealthy and tactical, or because people just want to fuck around on the first day, but whatever it was, I think people are trying to avoid matches that can be over so fast in this early stage.

Texturezilla face
155krxd.jpg

Elena and Bad Guy #2 having a moment
2vaf3fo.jpg

You come up with a description for this...
baihv.jpg

Now, let's check on Sully and his box
140ktnp.jpg

What the FUUUUUUUUU at these textures!

i2r6g4.jpg

That last image is a close up next to one of the characters on the box. It's like a super wood-grain shader :lol

jigglywiggly said:
While elimination is awesome, I think I can see why people vote it off. The first time I was put in an elimination match, everybody just ran charging at eachother and the game was over in under 2 minutes. Maybe it was because there was no on-screen explanation that you have to be stealthy and tactical, or because people just want to fuck around on the first day, but whatever it was, I think people are trying to avoid matches that can be over so fast in this early stage.
Wait wait wait. No rounds? Just one then the game is over? Thats like Plunder but you only deliver the treasure once.

xenorevlis said:
What the FUUUUUUUUU at these textures![/B]
i2r6g4.jpg

That last image is a close up next to one of the characters on the box. It's like a super wood-grain shader :lol
Yeah thats like a PS1 game lolz. =P

Tenkai Star said:
Wait wait wait. No rounds? Just one then the game is over? Thats like Plunder but you only deliver the treasure once.

Yeah thats like a PS1 game lolz. =P
Honestly, I've been waiting for the day where you could zoom that far in on an object and retain 100% fidelity.

The wood-grain image you quoted is from an area of that box equivalent to one of the symbols written on the side.

xenorevlis said:
Honestly, I've been waiting for the day where you could zoom that far in on an object and retain 100% fidelity.

The wood-grain image you quoted is from an area of that box equivalent to one of the symbols written on the side.
Ive got chills, they´re multiplying

Melfice7

haldalish said:
Cant believe the grenades are still so crappy even after every one complained about them in the first BEta. they blow up too fast

really? i love them, give us little time to react

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Inanna Dan said:

Had the same thing happen to me. I had to press the ps button to regain control.

Girsej

xenorevlis said:

Really? That's too awesome, but then again everthing about this game is too awesome! :D
It really distracts me from writing this report I'm writing though, and that's not so awesome :/

Top Bottom