• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

jett

D-Member
Thing about Wipeout is that there hasn't been a completely new iteration on consoles since 2097, on the PS2, which was pretty bad. HD/Fury content is all adopted from the PSP versions of the game, which are in themselves, fine, but unambitious.

I feel that a Wipeout built from the ground up, for PS4 or PS3, would have been a lot more appealing than 2048 or HD/Fury have been.

With that said, I still prefer HD Fury to F-Zero. I like that Wipeout tracks are insanely windey, and complex. F-Zero certainly has moments of technical challenge but many of the tracks are pretty simple. When playing on Phantom, just getting around the track is a challenge on Wipeout, I find that really fun.

I also find the weapons and shield management system more interesting. There's a good deal of depth to the execution to performing barrel rolls within minute portions of airtime. Perfecting your driving line, and pitch of the ship so that you catch those moments, then executing them, there's a lot to it that most players will never appreciate.

I think you mean Wipeout Fusion and not 2097. :p And isn't Wipeout on Vita all-new content though? And Omega includes all of its tracks, so that's sweet.

Chao

First time I played Wipeout was the PS3 Hd game, and while it was a nice game I couldn't help but think "I'm glad I played F-Zero growing up"

Shaneus

I mean, it's fine to like the physics and shit of wipeout more, more power to ya. Everyone has their preferences. But to keep spouting that F-Zero takes less skill and is some inferior game because you don't prefer how it plays is, uh, crazy talk. GX in particular is probably the hardest, most skill intensive racer I can think of. The world records in that game are insane, and merely conpleting story mode requires ridiculous skill.
Could probably say the same about people saying Wipeout doesn't have tight controls.

Both are great, but Wipeout takes the win. Wipeout is that perfect blend between arcade gameplay and actually feeling like you're piloting a hovering chunk of metal at high speeds. F-Zero never had that sense of physicality for me, which is paramount in creating satisfying racing gameplay. Also, I prefer Wipeout's aesthetic, even though I know that's more personal taste than anything.

Ont

F-Zero X and F-Zero GX are the best futuristic racing games I have played. Wipeout games are classics but not anywhere near the greatness of F-Zero games.

I like Wipeout for it's first person camera, heavier, weightier feel, and turning skill gap.

F-Zero feels more floaty to me--which isn't a bad thing. Just a preference. I also like Wipeout's aesthetic and weapons.

LeleSocho

Banned
I sincerely cannot understand what goes on in the head of someone that prefers Wipeout.
F-Zero controls, looks, sounds and is so much better that even if Nintendo would go on and release the F-Zero equivalent of Other M for three decades i would probably still choose it as a franchise over Wipeout.

I can understand other rivalries like Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing/Crash Team Racing or Mortal Kombat/King of Fighter/Street Fighter and on and on but this one? One shouldn't even think about it and respond almost as an involuntarily reflex.

I sincerely cannot understand what goes on in the head of someone that prefers Wipeout.
F-Zero controls, looks, sounds and is so much better that even if Nintendo would go on and release the F-Zero equivalent of Other M for three decades i would probably still choose it as a franchise over Wipeout.

I can understand other rivalries like Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing/Crash Team Racing or Mortal Kombat/King of Fighter/Street Fighter and on and on but this one? One shouldn't even think about it and respond almost as an involuntarily reflex.

F-zero looks and sounds better ?
When wipeout HD/FURY/2048 exist in 1080p /60fps ( now 4k ) with 7.1 ambiant surrond sound ?

I want to say that it's a matter of taste , but seriously ..maybe you should look at what the competition does before going full fanboy.

There is a discussion that exist about controls , ship design , overall design , physics and difficulty curve ... but F-zero is objectively 2 gens behind in term of tech

Wamb0wneD

Because Mario Kart was never know to be a game about skill exactly. Plus most Mario Kart games have been garbage with the exception of MK8 and maybe MKDS. But i will grant you that its not a fair comparison since most Wipeout games are better than Mario Kart.

I think you missunderstood me. My question is why he searches for similarities between Mario Kart and WipEout to underline his point of WipEout being complex and skill based. It doesn't make any sense.

//DEVIL//

Both games pretend they are so fast and break the sound barrier yet none of them does it right.

The correct answer is extreme g racing

LeleSocho

Banned
F-zero looks and sounds better ?
When wipeout HD/FURY/2048 exist in 1080p /60fps ( now 4k ) with 7.1 ambiant surrond sound ?

I want to say that it's a matter of taste , but seriously ..maybe you should look at what the competition does before going full fanboy.

There is a discussion that exist about controls , ship design , overall design , physics and difficulty curve ... but F-zero is objectively 2 gens behind in term of tech
Maybe you should have understood that i'm talking about the style...

...and despite that GX on Dolphin still looks totally awesome despite the texture are from gen 6.

...and despite that GX on Dolphin still looks totally awesome despite the texture are from gen 6.

Wipeout HD has style for days. It's positively silly of you to suggest otherwise. Wipeout HD came out early in the PS3's lifecycle, and yet remained visually competitive with its best looking games thanks to an extremely solid art style married to phenomenal tech - just like F-Zero GX on the GameCube.

crash-14

Don't get why to dismiss WipEout some say it's floaty... I mean, have you ever ride a machine like that to state the feeling it's fake? I'll like to try it.

If you like F-Zero heavier feeling it's ok, but that's your personal taste, not some kind of universal reality.

We are not talking about Gran Turismo or iRacing here...

Kyoufu

I voted for F-Zero because I adored F-Zero X on N64 but I could never get into Wipeout. For me, F-Zero felt much more accessible. I'll be giving Wipeout another shot with the Omega Collection though and If I end up loving it then I'll revisit this thread.

I just wish they'd remake F-Zero X with the 64DD features.

Maybe that should have been stated and obvious.

"sound is so much better" => so i should have understood that you were talking about the music ? or is it about the sound effects ? /s

"looks so much better" => yeah , style you said ? I'm not buying that.

Just accept that you've made a fanboy comment and move on

And your comment about Dolphin is ..Well how should i say this.
What game doesn't look great on pc with emulators , mods and graphical process that aren't in the game initially ?
Of course the game look better with more power on PC , does it mean that it isn't outdated tech ? Of course not.
F-zero gx is almost 14 years old , you need to accept this fact

And what does "style" mean ?
i would probably still choose it as a franchise over Wipeout.
You're shitting on a "franchise" over "style" ? Maybe you need to look in this very thread . Exemples have been given . You're free to disagree , but to spout nonsense like

mean that your argumentation is flawed . it's not that you cannot understand , you do not want to understand.
in other words , you're in fanboy mode

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Its obviously F-Zero, come on folks.

I still play the original to this day, and nothing tops F-Zero GX in the genre, almost 14 years later...

Sami+

F-Zero GX felt like what I imagined when I'd play with my toy cars as a kid making them fly and turbo boost and shit, game was so fucking rad. Sense of speed was unreal.

Wipeout's fun. Pretty slow tho. But fun. I don't really understand why they made the tracks so narrow though?

Idk it's like comparing Redline/Speed Racer to Gran Turismo. They're way different.

D.Lo

F-Zero is better, but they're not directly comparable (unlike say CTR which is 100% a Mario Kart/DKRacing ripoff).

F-Zero is pretty much a straight racing game, while it involved hovercraft and upside down stuff, the physics are largely car based. Wipeout is a floaty flying style control. Wipeout is also a bit Mario Kart with the weapons. F-zero design allow for much more interesting tracks too.

Wipeout has less catchy soundtracks with less character, but they're not designed to be awesome tunes for characters and tracks like an action movie, but as trance inducing.

But while the two big F-Zero games are the best, there hasn't been one in years. Really, the genre goes

F-Zero GX
F-Zero X
Several Wipeout games
Everything else.

I could never get into Wipeout and I main PS consoles.

I bought a N64 3 times over the course of 2 decades mainly for TLOZ:MM/OoT and F-Zero 64 (I'm guessing that's X?).

With the exception of Burnout 3 and Revenge, there is no better Arcade racer out there.

Coming here from OT, to see all this arguing when F-Zero is absolutely superior from a gameplay standpoint, is surreal. Before the election, I would have been all up in this shit.

Trump has changed everything.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Never got to play F-Zero, so I can't honestly say.

But from the gifs it looks stiffer than WipEout, which I prefer because the floatiness always becomes increasingly hard to master at higher speeds.

Tygamr

I prefer WipEout. Don't care for how F-Zero handles, and I really don't like the aesthetics. It has this really gaudy, garish, just ridiculous look to it that I don't care for. WipEout has a nice, sleek look—you can tell they put a lot of work into their designs. It's like the difference between a saturday morning cartoon, and Blade Runner.

Honestly been forever since I've played F-Zero though. Doesn't help that they stopped making them.

Shaneus

F-Zero is better, but they're not directly comparable (unlike say CTR which is 100% a Mario Kart/DKRacing ripoff).

F-Zero is pretty much a straight racing game, while it involved hovercraft and upside down stuff, the physics are largely car based. Wipeout is a floaty flying style control. Wipeout is also a bit Mario Kart with the weapons. F-zero design allow for much more interesting tracks too.

Wipeout has less catchy soundtracks with less character, but they're not designed to be awesome tunes for characters and tracks like an action movie, but as trance inducing.

But while the two big F-Zero games are the best, there hasn't been one in years. Really, the genre goes

F-Zero GX
F-Zero X
Several Wipeout games
Everything else.
People who prefer F-Zero? This is how you frame your argument (as much as I might disagree with one or two of the comments).

Not like this:

FinalAres

What do sales have to do with the quality of the games? Oh and its no wonder Wipeout sold more since it was released on the PS1. But again it does not matter one bit.
Literally nothing, that's why I mentioned it several times in my posts that this is nothing to do with quality.

ffvorax

Not even a contest for me, Wipeout. Better tracks, faster, much more content, better musics, better ships design,...

I'm not saying F-Zero is a bad game, but it's just a very good game, Wipeout is a masterpiece.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don't get why to dismiss WipEout some say it's floaty... I mean, have you ever ride a machine like that to state the feeling it's fake? I'll like to try it.

Who says it's fake and why is this even important? It's a game, everything should be optimised to be immediately fun, not to being "real". Which is of course why Ridge Racer vs Gran Turismo is no real competition either, becaue obviously Ridge Racer shits all over GT (to keep it to Sony franchises)!

tzare

i just cannot understand what goes on in the head of people that don't understand that not everyone likes the same, be it gameplay, 'stule', music, overall presentation etc etc...

Who says it's fake and why is this even important? It's a game, everything should be optimised to be immediately fun, not to being "real". Which is of course why Ridge Racer vs Gran Turismo is no real competition either, becaue obviously Ridge Racer shits all over GT (to keep it to Sony franchises)!

lol. No, a game does not need to be immediately fun, an arcade racer maybe is needed, because back in the days when arcades existed, you couldn't afford to spend a lot of money 'learning', it had to be 'fun' as soon as possible, but simulators (even GT is something in between and not a true sim) are not immediately rewarding because their objective is different. RR does not shit over GT , and GT does not shit over RR.

Not all games need to have the same objective. And can provide fun in different forms. By that metric, games like Souls series are bad games becasue aren't fun from moment 0.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
lol. No, a game does not need to be immediately fun, an arcade racer maybe is needed, because back in the days when arcades existed, you couldn't afford to spend a lot of money 'learning', it had to be 'fun' as soon as possible, but simulators (even GT is something in between and not a true sim) are not immediately rewarding because their objective is different. RR does not shit over GT , and GT does not shit over RR.
In the spirit of the thread I provocatively put my personal preference in absolute terms, I am aware of this. The thing is, such technical games are just never fun to me, even if I fully learn them, they still annoy me to no end and I see not the slightest bit of value in controls that are not fine tuned to be perfectly intuitive and immediate. I prefer difficulty through extremely tight objective and level design design rather than unwieldly controls.

Not all games need to have the same objective. And can provide fun in different forms. By that metric, games like Souls series are bad games becasue aren't fun from moment 0.
To me, they (or at least 3, which I played for 20 hours) are abysmal.

czk

Typical COD gamer
f zero is quake 3 arena
wipeout is unreal tournament

obviously the first one is better, totally different level of control and feel

you can like the latter more but one day you will grow up and understand

kromeo

f zero is quake 3 arena

This thread is just descending into shitposting now

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wipeout wins on the infinitely superior music alone. The fact that the best Wipeout game is better than every F-Zero game put together is just gravy.

F-Zero GX is pretty fucking great, though

At least your post is properly in the past tense.

GAFfer got an atom bomb. 22 megatons.

Skyzard

Banned
f zero is quake 3 arena

It's actually more like comparing Call of Duty to the Dick Tracy game.

It's kind of insane F-Zero fans are still pretending they are remotely close.

Not that Dick Tracy isn't fun, but wtf people.

tzare

In the spirit of the thread I provocatively put my personal preference in absolute terms, I am aware of this. The thing is, such technical games are just never fun to me, even if I fully learn them, they still annoy me to no end and I see not the slightest bit of value in controls that are not fine tuned to be perfectly intuitive and immediate. I prefer difficulty through extremely tight objective and level design design rather than unwieldly controls.

To me, they (or at least 3, which I played for 20 hours) are abysmal.

oh, don't get me wrong, i 'usually' enjoy direct/arcade games way more, and have a hard time(or just have the patience, to be honest) with more complex or not 'intuitive' controls.
But i also think there's enough room for different kind of games and that are not good or bad because they play different or aren't inmediately rewarding, or because are not complex, but those are just options, and you have to stick to what you like and respect what others like.
So i prefer fzero controls, in fact i prefer snes fzero controls and gameplay over fzero GX (despite this one being awesome and spectacular when released)
I also dislike Souls games because i am bad at them.

However the most perfect arcade game of all time is Motorstorm Pacific Rift :p

really, gamefaqs level

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My vote is for Wipeout, as much as I loved F-Zero X and F-Zero GX, Wipeout is a series that has consistantly been delivering great games since '95.

3 F-Zero games in 26 years just isn't enough. I suppose it's 4 if you add the GBA port, which I probably should as the last few Wipeout's have been ports/amalgamations of previous games.

I watched this thread for a few days and thought about it but in the end i'm not gonna vote. I can't decide and im just happy they both exist(ed :()

To the people who like one, but actually dislike the other... I'm sorry but that just shouldn't be possible. You're wrong, and it makes me wonder if you even realise what's so great about the one you do like. Frankly, you'd have to be a fool not to like either, assuming you like racing games in the slightest.

Top Bottom