• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

abrack08

I am really enjoying some of the GAF-Detective work in this thread.

I appreciate the investigation. I do have a question. What was the real purpose of this Interview? I mean, the little Fox Engine thing at the end couldn't have been what this short interview was about was it?

I honestly do not think it is CG, so I am really trying to find a purpose. There was nothing new revealed. Why do you meet someone in a hotel so they can tell you that they cannot say a thing then show you some images that reveal nothing on an iPad?

If Mogren is CG, then I get it, Kojima is god, trolled us all, and this is one of the most clever "advertisements" or PR stunts for a game I have seen. However, if Mogren is not CG, then this whole interview makes not sense. It was simply to say that at GDC you will not what the game is and what system it is for. Kojima could have tweeted that.

I think the fact that nothing was really revealed, the 2 were never shown together, and it was so short has people grasping for a deeper meaning.

I think it was to hype the GDC speech a little more, get people a little more desperate for information, then tease with the Fox Engine thing. This was a one minute interview mentioned a couple times on twitter, let's not act like this was a major advertised event that promised ground breaking information.

Tookay

I think the fact that nothing was really revealed, the 2 were never shown together, and it was so short has people grasping for a deeper meaning.

Maybe it was just Kojima trolling and the show killing time.

Sometimes people bet on things being funnier than they actually pan out to be, as opposed to everyone being in on some massive conspiracy.

Does anyone else feel like this is going way too far? I mean it's not even about the game anymore but rather some actor in bandages.

All that for a few images of the same gameplay they showed before and a reveal that it's on the Fox engine which we all assumed months ago.

flippedb

Banned
What if the Joakim and Geoff were never together? What if both sides of the interview were recorded separately and that's the reason they never appear on the same frame?

This could have allowed for the Joakim actor to perfect his movements, because they could just re-shoot the scene.

What if GAF is taking /v/ too seriously? What? What? What?

Mr. Fix

Cleared up the Twitter image a little. Tried to offer more definition. No matter what I did there was no definable definition on the neck area.

Also worth noting that messing with the levels of the image showed some rather interesting artifacts on everything apart from his head. Suggesting a higher resolution image has been layered atop the low resolution body.

Points worth noting:

• The upper eyelids only half drop. The attached skin doesn't move at all. (i.e. the eyebrow, the recess below the eyebrow)
  • The lower eyelids simply don't move. I don't know about you, but I can't move my upper eyelids independently of the lower. More-so, when you are shocked or taken aback by something, the natural is to winch/squint.
  • The point of light in his pupil doesn't move in relation to his head movement. In fact it's static within the pupil at all times.
  • The shadows around the bandages on the right of the image are not consistent with the head movement

What the fuck, Guiberu?

I think it was to hype the GDC speech a little more, get people a little more desperate for information, then tease with the Fox Engine thing. This was a one minute interview mentioned a couple times on twitter, let's not act like this was a major advertised event that promised ground breaking information.

Yeah I don't get the "then if it's not CGI what was the point of the interview?" argument.

Is "Hey guys, this IS MGS in case you were wondering. It's on FOX Engine and we are showing the engine on GDC. Stay tuned!" really not good enough?

Uiki

What if the Joakim and Geoff were never together? What if both sides of the interview were recorded separately and that's the reason they never appear on the same frame?

This could have allowed for the Joakim actor to perfect his movements, because they could just re-shoot the scene.

What if GAF is taking /v/ too seriously? What? What? What?

And the twitter photos from doripope?

Tookay

Well I'm sure Mogren's going to have bunch of self-image issues after dozens of posters claim his reactions/features are unnatural.

Yeah I don't get the "then if it's not CGI what was the point of the interview?" argument.

Is "Hey guys, this IS MGS in case you were wondering. It's on FOX Engine and we are showing the engine on GDC. Stay tuned!" really not good enough?

Apparently not.

Burt

You want bad things :(

This is all fun and games and all of us realize that Geoff isn't really a person we should be looking to for objective views on ANYTHING because you can't ever tell if he's being candid or if he's being the hype man he's paid to be by everyone in the industry.

I just wish he'd tone down the caricature a bit sometimes and at least try to appear genuine.

I don't want bad things. This Joakim Mogren thing isn't a bad thing. It's fun, it's playful, it's interesting.

There's a difference between a journalist and a reporter. Geoff is clearly the latter. He hosts big award shows, he breaks exclusive announcements through deals with companies, he's a producer and presenter of his own show within a larger company. He has every right to be candid and voice his own opinions, but no one should ever even attempt look at him as objective because his professional career disqualifies him from objectivity. As long as you accept that, it's all okay.

There's room in the industry for both journalists and reporters. It doesn't always have to be HARD HITTING STORIES and CORPORATE SCANDAL and BIG PUBLISHERS ARE FUCKING YOU OVER. If this Joakim Mogren thing was going through Polygon or Kotaku or Rock, Paper, Shotgun, I would have a problem. They present themselves as journalists, and they should be the ones covering serious business and providing objective analysis. It's not, though. It's going through the host of the Spike TV VGA's whose own Wikipedia page labels him as a "presenter", and even if Geoff says he's a "journalist", we should all know by this point it's only in the Extra/Access Hollywood/Entertainment Tonight sense. He's a personality. He's the go-to bridge for companies trying to reach gamers. His job is to be entertaining, not enlightening. Once you recognize that, what does anything matter other than him being entertaining?

pGNwNhI.png

Cleared up the Twitter image a little. Tried to offer more definition. No matter what I did there was no definable definition on the neck area.

Also worth noting that messing with the levels of the image showed some rather interesting artifacts on everything apart from his head. Suggesting a higher resolution image has been layered atop the low resolution body.

9GXNPVB.gif

Points worth noting:

• The upper eyelids only half drop. The attached skin doesn't move at all. (i.e. the eyebrow, the recess below the eyebrow)
  • The lower eyelids simply don't move. I don't know about you, but I can't move my upper eyelids independently of the lower. More-so, when you are shocked or taken aback by something, the natural is to winch/squint.
  • The point of light in his pupil doesn't move in relation to his head movement. In fact it's static within the pupil at all times.
  • The shadows around the bandages on the right of the image are not consistent with the head movement

if there was a like option on gaf, this would be a like moment, the only way this dude is real in this image is if he is a reptile

Guiberu

I like photoshop.

I like investigating.

Thus. Things.

I probably shouldn't mention that I mapped out the skull structure of "Joakim" using the Twitter image - and either he has a large amount of hair under those bandages, or his head is an inch or two too big.

Well I'm sure Mogren's going to have bunch of self-image issues after dozens of posters claim his reactions/features are unnatural.

Apparently not.

you're delusional now, of course thats not enough, he doesn't need GT to announce any of the above with a looney interview.

Tookay

I probably shouldn't mention that I mapped out the skull structure of "Joakim" using the Twitter image - and either he has a large amount of hair under those bandages, or his head is an inch or two too big.

Even if this was CG, you realize that his head would be SCANNED, MODELED, and MOCAPPED, right?

His proportions wouldn't change.

Blinck

If it is CG, I can absolutely tell you that it isn't using any in-game engine. I would love to be proved wrong of course.

R1CHO

pGNwNhI.png

9GXNPVB.gif

Points worth noting:

Yes.

Believe.

MormaPope

Banned
pGNwNhI.png

9GXNPVB.gif

Points worth noting:

Adding this excellent post to the OP.

I'm a believer, but this one doesn't make sense. The point of light DOES move, slightly. Also if you have a light source that isn't RIGHT in your face that reflection isn't going to move very much. Try it with a mirror in the bathroom.

mattp

for everyone who thinks this is cg
can i just ask, what would be the point?
it's not selling the fox engine. if it were cg, it's prerendered not running in a realtime game engine. it would look NOTHING like this in a game. so making this cg proves absolutely nothing and really all it would do is disappoint people who would then expect mgs5 to look like this

I like photoshop.

I like investigating.

Thus. Things.

Keep going bro.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Kojima should announce that the interview was CG (even if it wasn't), and offer no further follow-ups or demos.

More-so, when you are shocked or taken aback by something, the natural is to winch/squint.

Yeah, but that's just a case of horrible acting more than anything.

Guiberu

Even if this was CG, you realize that his head would be SCANNED, MODELED, and MOCAPPED, right?

His proportions wouldn't change.

After looking at it all, I'm of the opinion it's a real guy sitting in a studio, wearing a green mask that covers his head and neck. They've then used a Fox Engine rendered head and superimposed it over the top, matched up the movements at much as possible, but most likely over-zealously enlarged his head to cover any remaining aspects of the real person.

Of course, this is all opinion, and I could be entirely wrong.

But hey. It's fun to speculate.

genjiZERO

for everyone who thinks this is cg
can i just ask, what would be the point?
it's not selling the fox engine. if it were cg, it's prerendered not running in a realtime game engine. it would look NOTHING like this in a game. so making this cg proves absolutely nothing and really all it would do is disappoint people who would then expect mgs5 to look like this

It's viral marketing. Getting the fan base pumped. Because Kojima can.

Top Bottom