• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG Bugbear's 'Next Car Game' has the most incredible destruction ever!

Shaneus

I got an email about an update, but when I checked it on my phone, it was just about registering the game in steam (and didn't give me a key to do so). Very odd.

epmode

I got an email about an update, but when I checked it on my phone, it was just about registering the game in steam (and didn't give me a key to do so). Very odd.

The key is for the tech demo 2.0 that early purchasers didn't have in Steam. You have to click a link in the email for your key.

Shaneus

Ahhh. My other problem (other than knowing exactly what it was for) was not seeing the key... which was because I was on my phone. Regular web browser = all good :)

jediyoshi

New screenshot mode
W6f2lbu.png

Recorded some gameplay of the figure 8 track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIRzMeFgDA&hd=1

The track and car it seems weren't the only additions that arrived with the patch. A few things I've noticed so far...

• New upgrades inc. gearing, suspenion and paint jobs
  • Random starting grid placement
  • Random time of day for races (no night though)
  • Tyre walls/stacks now have a bit more weight to them
  • Damage seems to be more sensitive, I'm noticing a lot more wrecked cars on the tracks now

Danneee

Hope this comes to PS4, I need this

Yeah, the Flatout series is awesome and Bugbear is a fantastic developer seeing how good their games run on even modest hardware while still looking great.

So if a console version comes out I'll preorder the day it's announced.

Edit: and allmost all their games have been on consoles so that's a good sign.

Aerocrane

I got lucky with the random grid placement and started a race from 2nd place. The AI isn't much of a challenge then. The AI does seem to wreck more often after the patch.

Aerocrane

The sedan is probably the strongest car in the game right now, it can take hits to the front better than the muscle car. I think they have fine-tuned the damage some already in the updates. There is still some inconsistency with the visual damage and the damage shown on the UI though.

JaoSming

Neo Member
New update today - http://nextcargame.com/update-3-2014-04-17/

• Tracks:
  • New sandpit race track featuring both normal and reverse layouts, work-in-progress.
  • New mudpit derby stadium, work-in-progress.
  • New small derby stadium, work-in-progress.

Environment Art:
  • Smoothed out track-sides and improved gravel race track readability.
  • New work-in-progress spectator models – some previous ones remain.
  • New concrete barriers, used in various derby stadiums.

Weathers:
  • Two new weathers: stormy evening and misty evening.
  • Weather can be now specified in the event setup.

Vehicles and Handling:
  • New driver model, as of now simply static.
  • Improved suspension and tire physics.
  • More responsive handling with a game pad.
  • Improved player vs. AI collision physics.

Damage:
  • Improved deformation physics so that visual car damage is more accurate.
  • Improved gameplay damage to prevent cars from getting too torn up and still going.
  • Fixed a case where cars would get damaged and eventually destroyed from rubbing against a static barrier.

Replay:
  • New replay mode with slow motion and fast forward time controls (-16.0x … 4.0x), a number of different cameras, target locking & switching, depth-of-field and field-of-view settings.

User Interface:
  • Race timer now correctly displays hundredths as well instead of random numbers.
  • Game is no longer unpaused when exiting Steam overlay if the game was paused.

Input:
  • Implemented multicontroller support (e.g. wheel and pedals in separate USB ports).
  • Sensitivity & deadzone adjustments now take effect without a restart.
  • Added saturation, sensitivity and dead zone settings for XInput controllers.
  • Game now defaults to DirectInput for wheels, hopefully making some wheels behave better.
  • The game now detects more than one XInput controllers that are connected simultaneously.
  • Force feedback is disabled for Microsoft Sidewinder FF wheel in an attempt to work around buggy driver causing lag.

Audio:
  • Increased AI engine volume.
  • General improvements.

http://a.pomf.se/ztbaan.webm

jet1911

That new track is awesome. Seeing the AI crash everywhere sending debris and tires flying around is still amazing. I wish the performences were better but my GPU is getting pretty old lol.

Xyber

That new track is awesome. Seeing the AI crash everywhere sending debris and tires flying around is still amazing. I wish the performences were better but my GPU is getting pretty old lol.

I'm guessing it will be a while before they start to focus on performance over content. While it is perfectly playable on my 680 I also wish it would run better.

JaoSming

Neo Member
Anyone know if it has full controller support (meaning all the menus work with the controller)?
Yes, the menus do work with the controller, but they suck with it. The UI is designed for a mouse but functional with the controller. You can exit the game with it though, so it works with "fully" with big picture mode.

red731

Bought it and did some testing.

To give people idea on how it runs on my PC -

i7 3770k
7970 3GB GHz
16GB RAM
game is on 7200rps disk, while OS is on SSD / Win 7 64bit

settings:

1920x1080x32
ingame vsync
aniso max
shadows disabled - performance eater // can run them max with performace drops - better be in the front lines and don't look back :D
cube maps max
textures max

AO on
AA on
Dynamic reflections off
Particles on

60fps with 23 AI opponents on everything I've tried

edit: Weather - Misty evening - is performance eater. This cuts my fps to 30. All other weather options doesn't swallow such a great deal of performance as this.

Flunkie

Banned
New track is great. My friends probably hate me because every time I play this I take no less than 10 pictures, lol.

Skyzard

Banned
Just picked this up for my new build straight after BF4, can't wait to play it...once all the BF4 stuff downloads :/

Need a next-gen internet. Hurry up google.

curlycare

Bought it and did some testing.

To give people idea on how it runs on my PC -

i7 3770k
7970 3GB GHz
16GB RAM
game is on 7200rps disk, while OS is on SSD / Win 7 64bit

settings:

1920x1080x32
ingame vsync
aniso max
shadows disabled - performance eater // can run them max with performace drops - better be in the front lines and don't look back :D
cube maps max
textures max

AO on
AA on
Dynamic reflections off
Particles on

60fps with 23 AI opponents on everything I've tried

edit: Weather - Misty evening - is performance eater. This cuts my fps to 30. All other weather options doesn't swallow such a great deal of performance as this.
I think the game doesn't have triple buffering, so you should force it through d3doverrider or some similar program and turn in-game v-sync off.

Komo

Banned
I absolutely love NCG, but I can't even play if I enable AA.
Sucks, because I'd love to take some more screenshots!

Nethaniah

Multi-monitor support out of the box, wheel support, decent frames while running a huge resolution, insane destruction, fun handling, yeah this game is fantastic, i wouldn't mind them porting it to consoles eventually but i hope they only start working on that after this has shipped for pc.

microtubule

Steam just downloaded a 1GB update:

Changelog:
* Added support for one additional DirectInput device.
* Input bindings are reset for all users to avoid weird issues.
* Reset and reverse camera can be now mapped to different inputs.
* Handling no longer gets locked to right with certain gamepads.
* Replay no longer exhibits black screen in some cases.
* Steering wheel input is now disabled in photo mode.
* Force feedback is now disabled in replay mode.
* Improvements to the sandpit track.
* Fixed an issue with car controls.

http://nextcargame.com/update-4-2014-04-25/

Thrakier

So I bought in steam sale. Has some good premise, but so far surely not worth the price tag. Anyway, I hope they fix the performance. It's pretty horrible.

NoPiece

So I bought in steam sale. Has some good premise, but so far surely not worth the price tag. Anyway, I hope they fix the performance. It's pretty horrible.

I was coming to post just the opposite. Just bought and played for about an hour. Amazing ridiculous fun. It reminds a bit of old school over the top gaming - I had a smile on my face the whole time.

I have a GTX 670, an old i7 (860 - at 2.8ghz), and 12GB ram, and it ran great with all the settings up except shadows which I left in the middle.

This game really made me happy - it was a steal at $17.99, even if it never gets another car, track, or improvement.

edit: I also had dynamic reflections off.

What kind of performance are people getting? At max settings, 1080P the game locks to 30 with a 780Ti and i53570K. What setting is the most intensive with little gain? Turning vsync off has it jump all over the place framerate wise.

NoPiece

What kind of performance are people getting? At max settings, 1080P the game locks to 30 with a 780Ti and i53570K. What setting is the most intensive with little gain? Turning vsync off has it jump all over the place framerate wise.

I was just checking with FRAPS, and I am getting 50-120 FPS, with it mostly in the 70-90 range. It weirdly seems to dip less when there is are a ton of cars and chaos, and more when there is a lot of draw distance. Anyway, for an early game, I think it runs really well.

edit: Try turning VSYNC off. With it on I get 30 fps, with it off I get ~80fps with an occasional dip into the 50's, but don't really notice any tearing or fluxuation.

Word on the game's forum is that there's a new update imminent. It's to include a new car, track (though apparently it's unfinished) and LAN multiplayer. Hopefully something like Tunngle will allow semi-proper multiplayer. It's also going to include the new engine update which will change how damage is calculated. Patch should be live with in 24 hours.

New update!

http://nextcargame.com/update-5-2014-07-03/

Includes the game running on a revamped engine, LAN support, a new car and a new track. The new car looks bad ass, like a Pontiac GTO The Judge.

newmusclecar2.jpg

The changelog:

Engine:

*Rewrote the engine.
*Significantly simplified gameflow logic.
*Added support for data hotloading.
*Wrote a shiny new property editor.
*Removed a ton of old legacy code.
*Rewrote the effect system, note that certain effects are missing as of now.
*Added a launcher option to set grass rendering distance.

Multiplayer:

*Implemented LAN multiplayer for both race and derby, currently supports 12 players.

Input System:

*Added remapping support for XInput devices such as the X360 gamepad.
*Added D-pad and look-around support for DirectInput devices.
*Increased the amount of rebindable controls.
*Added analogue handbrake support.
*Added proper H-shifter support.

Gameplay:

*Improved AI behavior to help it stay on track better.
*Added support and first draft scoring events.

Damage:

*Implemented new damage system based on tracking deform instead of impacts.
*Improved deformation to make the cars break apart in a more realistic manner.
*The car that is heavier and traveling faster will now have an advantage in collision.
*Fixed an issue where unlocked panels such as doors would not animate correctly.
*Added a placeholder smoke effect for the critically damaged engine state.
*Added a release state to all wheels so that they can be torn off.

Cameras:

*Implemented an improved camera system.
*Reworked all cameras, FOV, position, etc.

User Interface:

*Rewrote the user interface platform.
*Implemented new Replay user interface.
*Added a preliminary scoreboard to post-race.
*Improved the main Garage UI somewhat to enhance usability.
*Removed the vignette effect when getting damaged during gameplay.
*Added support for fetching Steam user name and avatar.

Vehicles and Upgrades:

*Added a new American Muscle car.
*Reworked engine upgrade parts to mimic real-life parts.
*Reworked the suspension setups for more authenticity.
*Added first upgrade part descriptions.
*Improved gamepad controller functionality.
*Switched Anti-Spin assist to an improved Stability Control assist.

Vehicle Dynamics:

*Added simulation of Ackermann steering geometry.
*Improved shifting center of mass calculation when vehicle is airborne.
*Improved simulation of viscous forces when driving on loose surfaces such as gravel.
*Added engine shake calculated from the piston movement to simulate engine rumble.
*Added support for turbochargers and superchargers, upgrade parts using this feature coming later.
*Improved suspension simulation; center of mass now affects suspension.
*Improved suspension geometry simulation.

Weathers:

*Improved weathers to give a better sense of light.

Tracks:

*Added a new Sandpit race track, still work-in-progress!
*Enhanced various bits and pieces of the existing tracks.

microtubule

Yeah, the driving model is very good. So much so in fact that I'll throw a few cars around the track in Assetto Corsa and afterwards play this for a few...and the driving model is not a huge step down! Kudos to Bugbear.

It says EARLY ACCESS. You are buying an alpha. The game is not done yet on any level.

The name "Next Car Game" should be a tip off to howl unfinished it is. But as it stands, I think the early access looks great. I might even pick this one up, because I was a big fan of Bugbears Flat Out series.

microtubule

Re:performance - No huge difference here as well and the game still runs good for me. However, judging by some of the comments in the game's Steam forum there are those that are having issues with the new patch.

Top Bottom