• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG Bugbear's 'Next Car Game' has the most incredible destruction ever!

Sendou

Buy it through the website rather than Steam, you still get a Steam key and it's much cheaper.

... and Bugbear gets more money (at least that's what I would assume. I'm not 100% sure what PayPal's cut is). Valve has enough money already!

i hope there is going to be extras like it was in the flatout series

DriverDart

DriverBowling

etc..etc..
I'd be disappointed if there wasn't bonus modes like that. Considering the fun stuff there is in the initial preview, I'm pretty confident they will deliver.

PaulLFC

This and BeamNG Drive are finally delivering on the promise of that XNA tech demo from years ago with the blue car that would crash and deform realistically.

Bought both, very pleased with Next Car Game, haven't had chance to try BeamNG yet but from reading the forums I like where they're going with it.

MaLDo

0x02D08205 (AFR2) for partial SLI support. Good scale but flickering in Start Race button and some visible glows through geometry.

If you see flickering in car glass, alt+tab to desktop and alt+tab to game again to fix it.

If you see flikering over cars, change cubemap quality or disable reflections.

In my Tri-SLI I can play with reflections but sometimes 2xSLI works in a different way.

Aerocrane

Patch notes for Update 2013-01-15

To get the Steam Early Access going in style, we've already updated the build. It's only been a week or so after resuming work since the holidays so there's not *that* much that's been done yet, but we feel it's still definitely something that we want to get out of the door and into your hands.

Here are the most important changes:

- Implemented iterative engine component damage + related HUD visuals.
- Fixed damage direction deduction so that damage is allocated correctly.
- Fixed position counter so that the player cannot be further back than the last.
- Changed the position counter to always show the number of cars that started.
- Removed player kill areas from environments.
- Reduced arm-co friction and wooden fence mass.
- Implemented environment geometry fixes and polishing.
- Implemented lighting tweaks, and added lens flares.
- Implemented constant vertical FOV to support widescreen resolutions.
- Fixed user interface bugs and added general polish.
- Fixed a couple of minor audio issues.
- Improved general build stability.

Everdred

Just bought from their website, downloading now!

EDIT: Another request... a rally game with this engine would be awesome.

Shaneus

... and Bugbear gets more money (at least that's what I would assume. I'm not 100% sure what PayPal's cut is). Valve has enough money already!
There are two schools of thought, which I found out when tweeting the Gone Home developer: a) Buy from their own website, dev gets more money (not sure how much), or b) buy from Steam, dev may get less money but if the game charts on the front page, dev gets more sales.

Just bought from their website, downloading now!

EDIT: Another request... a rally game with this engine would be awesome.
When playing the dirt/mud track in the Euro car with mud tyres and the more powerful engine, the thought that kept coming to mind was "this feels exactly like Sega Rally (Revo)".

jediyoshi

Since the rest of the gifs are pretty big ~30MB I'll just link them.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/11848567685_9c8aa9ee8b_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11849901844_f3195bfa34_o.gif
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/11850290646_6178026531_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/11850279196_8fa2e7a5c6_o.gif

Can't wait until there's more to this game. Some of these crashes kinda reminds me of that first Motorstorm trailer when the yellow car crashes at the end.

May I suggest an html5 video converter in the future
http://gfycat.com/about

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hurrgh...while I can't last for more than a couple min of the video in the OP, this game does look amazing. Not ready to jump in at the alpha state, but will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Omeyocan

Please bring it on PS4 and Xbox one! Would absolutely love to play this game on console !

Considering Sony's approach toward indies, I hope they do something to bring this gem on their console.

Zukuu

Banned
I want this. I really really want this. the last time I had such an urge to play a car game was with Need for Speed Unterground and Destruction Derby.

Sooo gonna get it once it's released.

Also this:
Please bring it on PS4 and Xbox one! Would absolutely love to play this game on console !

the part with the hammer really showcases the damage model best. THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. How could this kickstarter fail? Why no one told me? D:

How could this kickstarter fail? Why no one told me? D:

Sadly the gaming press wasn't reporting on it at the time and there was only like three article mentions. The only time it got a decent amount of exposure was when they decided to cancel the Kickstarter and the gaming press picked up on its failure.

Gaming press needs to give more exposure to this game.

Bullza2o

Looks like a game I will really enjoy --if I can run it fine. I hope my i3 330M and Mobility Radeon HD 5470 can handle it.

FACE

Banned
I want this. I really really want this. the last time I had such an urge to play a car game was with Need for Speed Unterground and Destruction Derby.

Sooo gonna get it once it's released.

Also this:

the part with the hammer really showcases the damage model best. THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. How could this kickstarter fail? Why no one told me? D:

The KS may have failed, but the crowdfunding campaign through their own website has been very succesful: http://nextcargame.com/

whoszed

The tech is incredible, I mean holy shit the game looks impressive. The racing model looks like fun too, the cars definitely have a sense of weight so it's not too arcadey and braindead,Now they just basically need to make an exciting racing game out of this. Add a bunch of gorgeous and dangerous environments and you got a winner.

It's a shame they don't have more money than that because I don't have a PC capable of running this game. Seems like the console versions depend on the sales so fingers crossed. This could be one of those games that'd make me buy a PS4.

Considering Sony's approach toward indies, I hope they do something to bring this gem on their console.
In the event of Sony lending out the Destruction Derby name, the problem would be that (as far as I know) they have no real precedent about allowing games they hold the rights of to be ported over to PC. Heaven forbid if Microsoft bought any kind of exclusivity; they've been making horrible business decisions as of late for everyone involved.

I don't know anything about Bugbear, but it depends on their resistance to piles of cash being offered to them.

This is just some great shit.
Piles of cash can be resisted with a little bit of research looking into how EA and Activision fuck over the studio's they have deals with. Especially EA nowadays. In their reveal or Kickstarter video Bugbear also brought up that various publishers have shown genuine interest in the game in its early stages before, but they wouldn't have allowed them to retain the degree of control they asked for should they have signed an agreement with them.

I'm all for Next Car Game becoming a big franchise on a number of appropriate platforms if given the right financial support; just don't want the PC version or Bugbear's vision to be compromised due to a publisher like what happened with FlatOut in the end.

Sendou

I think what people are missing when talking about Bugbear is that they had some serious troubles finding a publisher to work with last-gen before Ridge Racer happened. It's not like they have Sony, EA and others lining up behind their doors to fork them cash and IP's to work with. The tech is obviously great but it's not like it wasn't known before that they are a talented studio capable of doing things like this.

I wish I enjoyed the Flatout games more. I have all of them on Steam, but when I finally got around to playing them I didn't really enjoy the handling of the vehicles.

THis destruction stuff looks incredible and it's what I've always wanted in Burnout. Damn you and your NFS games Criterion!

aravuus

Hoping this is moddable and I can play Twisted Metal/Vigilant 8 using this engine. Hop to it, internet

Somehow something like this never crossed my mind. While I prefer races, the destruction derby stuff would also keep me occupied for a long time if I could mod in some crazy impossible arenas. Something like in Twisted Metal, although of course smaller.

I have full faith in Bugbear and the only feature I'm specifically hoping for now is proper replays and a replay editor with slow-mo, free camera and stuff like that.

i hope there is going to be extras like it was in the flatout series

DriverDart

DriverBowling

etc..etc..
I wouldn't expect anything that's not in the "Upcoming Features" list. At this point I'm not sure if they've even made the decision to bring back ragdoll drivers.

I reckon the crash test arena could stand in for the minigames, if there's not enough resources to make proper competitive/leaderboard ones happen.
Ragdoll drivers must return.
Huh...it's 25$/35$ on the official website too.... Where is it cheaper than Steam?
Regional pricing. $30 on Steam here.

Lemonte

I remember reading somewhere that rag doll driver is flatout thing and it won't be in NCG. I think it was in kickstarter q&a.

Exuro

My roommate bought this and the 2.0 sneak peak thing is amazing. They should focus on more whacky type levels like that imo.

Also the physics shooting stuff is amazing. There should be a multiplayer mode where you can just mess around with that crap. Funnest thing ever.

So... windows only, I'm guessing?

I don't see anything about Mac or Linux on the site, so I assume so, but I can't really tell.

Looks like it's coming along tremendously. I'd make a joke about "can't wait to race online with this", but ... uh... yeah. Not really looking forward to that, even when game comes out for all platforms. :lol

THIS SHIT IS SO DUMB.

btw, it's completely 360 controller compatible. i think. i didn't try the copy-object stuff, but everything else worked great.

ncgt-1ezf5e.gif

ncgt-2ete8c.gif

I remember reading somewhere that rag doll driver is flatout thing and it won't be in NCG. I think it was in kickstarter q&a.

I really hope not that's not true, that was one of my favorite things about flatout 2. Hopefully they reconsider since they've made more than double their kickstarter already

Since when could you shoot missiles in it?!?

Damn, now I want them to do Roadblasters 2.0

That's just part of the Sneak Preview 2.0 tech demo that you get along with the main game when you buy the Early Access version of it. It's not indicative of the actual racing game that Bugbear is making, but it is loads of silly fun.

Shaneus

That's just part of the Sneak Preview 2.0 tech demo that you get along with the main game when you buy the Early Access version of it. It's not indicative of the actual racing game that Bugbear is making, but it is loads of silly fun.
Oh I know, but I've bought into NCG and don't remember seeing that in the tech demo. Haven't fired it up since it was first available, though.

I really hope not that's not true, that was one of my favorite things about flatout 2. Hopefully they reconsider since they've made more than double their kickstarter already
No, Bugbear did say something along those lines. However I also recall something about them looking into a replacement of sorts if there's demand for it, so I assume that'll be what the sandbox in the Tech Sneak Peek will eventually turn into.

Top Bottom