• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG Bugbear's 'Next Car Game' has the most incredible destruction ever!

You buy it through their site and redeem it on Steam right now.

Also, from my experience with the demos, it's incredible. I threw so many physics objects on the field, with zero lag, it was insane.

And the second I started driving, the FlatOut memories started pouring back in. Felt really nice.

Sounds good going to have to grab it soon,I was about to do the same for beamng but I wasn't exactly sure what their goal for that tech demo is.

Chrscool8

Neo Member
I'd imagine you'd need a pretty beastly GPU to do all those physics in the video linked in the OP.

Well, with my GTX 560 SLI, I could throw the house walls straight down constantly (they shatter into even more) for a looooong time. I was certainly impressed. Honestly, it's the best physics engine I think I've played with (in terms of quality/speed).

nikos

Hadn't heard about this until now. Been wanting some kind of Destruction Derby successor since DD2. Definitely going to pick it up!

Gameplay videos look great so far.

Sentenza

11849280864_82dc87fb8e_o.gif

Since the rest of the gifs are pretty big ~30MB I'll just link them.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/11848567685_9c8aa9ee8b_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11849901844_f3195bfa34_o.gif
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/11850290646_6178026531_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/11850279196_8fa2e7a5c6_o.gif

Can't wait until there's more to this game. Some of these crashes kinda reminds me of that first Motorstorm trailer when the yellow car crashes at the end.
I... I think you just sold me on this as soon as my new PC arrives, and I don't even care that much about racing games, usually.

Seanspeed

Banned
It doesn't have a name yet, do you really think that's the title the game will ship with?

Really?
Its the name of the damn website and what was mentioned in the title of the thread, so yea, that was the impression I was under? Not sure whats so crazy about that.

Like I said, there's a game out there called 'Game Stock Car', so its not unheard of.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just snapped this up myself. Looking forward to mucking around with the physics engine.

The game is out on Steam Early Access right now, in case you missed it.

I hope nobody jumped on the DDE because it just dropped in price from $50 to $35 (which, incidentally, is just the push I needed).

Kura

Banned
That feeling when you are in the last position in a race and suddently you see all cars wrecking on the same turn... that's truly awesome.

BTW I'm having some problems with my AMD card, but man, the game is really really addictive. Happy with the buy.

Denzar

Bought it.

I've got a raging suspicion that the extra tech demo is a lot more fun than the game itself.

Not really feeling the game ATM.

That tech demo has delivered me a lot of fun already though!

Here's some shots of me messin' around.

Oublieux

PhysX also has a quite good general CPU physics system.

Does it? I remember reading an article a few years back where CPU-offloaded PhysX was purposely gimped by Nvidia. They were using a rather archaic coding methodology that caused it to run inefficiently on modern CPU's at the time, which is why performance would often tank when enabled without a Nvidia GPU.

Not sure if they remedied that over time though...

MaLDo

if I buy the game on the nextcargame.com site, they send me the steam key for early access. Or only when the steam final version comes out?

Thank you.

Denzar

if I buy the game on the nextcargame.com site, they send me the steam key for early access. Or only when the steam final version comes out?

Thank you.

They send you the code and you can play it. It's still in pre-alpha though.

EDIT: Beaten.

Physx is usually used for things like cloth, smoke, and other particle effects which would be somewhat different no?

No it's not really different. They all use pretty much the same basic system whether its just a particle cloud or cloth. This tech demo i was able to spawn way more physics based "particles" then physx did in borderlands 2, with the added benefit of not losing more fps to using the gpu for the physics.

PhysX also has a quite good general CPU physics system.

No it doesn't. At all. Not even a little. Infact they purposely make it not multithreaded or playable without it being a stuttery mess.

Shaneus

Carmageddon Reincarnation supporting soft-body physics would be the most amazing thing.
I've just realised something. Unless the new Carma has similar car damage/destruction in it, I'm going to be at least a little disappointed.

That's a hell of a lot to live up to! But if any game can (and has to) do it, it's the new Carmageddon. How long until that bloody thing is out again? Edit: "Feb 2013" :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've just realised something. Unless the new Carma has similar car damage/destruction in it, I'm going to be at least a little disappointed.

Yeah, I said much the same thing in the Steam thread a little earlier. It'd be the perfect addition to a game such as Carmageddon.

That's a hell of a lot to live up to! But if any game can (and has to) do it, it's the new Carmageddon. How long until that bloody thing is out again? Edit: "Feb 2013" :/

I'm not sure on the date but a project update e-mail from last November mentions "We’re getting closer to our Steam Early Access launch" so it can't be far off.

Shaneus

Yeah, I said much the same thing in the Steam thread a little earlier. It'd be the perfect addition to a game such as Carmageddon.
Still OT, but if you look at the *very* end of the most recent Carma video (the suspension modelling one) we get a very brief glimpse of what sort of destruction we'll see. And even though it's obviously super early footage, it's promising :)

jonnyp

The amount of debris coming off the cars by every hit seems a tad bit over the top and unrealistic IMHO. Car metal body parts are usually not that brittle are they?

Shaneus

From what I can tell, there hasn't been that many changes that I can see, but I'll sum up what I can:

* Engine upgrades (not visible)
* Different tyres (road, slick, dirt)
* Provisions for tuning, repair etc. (menu items are there, but cannot be clicked)

Don't think there were any new tracks.

Top Bottom