• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the greatest things about NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

I love NeoGAF's simple, uncluttered design. I love being able to post images and say "fuck" when I feel like it. I love how the mods attend to their business efficiently and with minimal fuss. Most of all, I love the community here; with your diverse tastes and opinions, your ability to laugh at silly memes yet hold intelligent conversations, and your willingness to help strangers in need, you're a cut above the posters on every other forum I've read over the years. GAF is a placid current amid the frothing rapids of the internets.

zoukka said:
GAF actually improves over time, see: the removal of smilies.

I'm with this guy,

See this is what makes GAF great.. I am certain this very same pixelated Mario/Solid Snake avatar sporting fucker was dissing me in the "Post pictures of Great Historians" thread not so long ago...

but now I agree with his point...(about the removal of Smilies) You argue with some bastard with bad taste today, but before you know it, you share the same taste and opinion with that same fucker in another thread/topic on another day...

I think that's one of the coolest things about GAF

Minamu

EricHasNoPull said:
Honesty what I really hate seeing nowadays is this :lol

I know some people have some stupid ass web browser plug in that translates this :lol to this
01laugh.gif

But not all of us have that now.. and it's really annoying to type this ":lol" when all are you trying to say is this "lol" or "LOL"

it makes you look retarded putting that ":" in front of the lol.

Glad to see people agreeing with me on this also (see next post)
forcechoke.jpg

What if smilies do come back? All :lol will magically turn to happy faces again. turn that frown upside down :D :lol is just a reflex by now.

Also, hatersdowhattheyalwaysdo.gif

To everyone saying they're glad they can cuss: it wasn't always that way! I remember a time when a lot of words were ****'d out here. Be grateful indeed!

Also, I like seeing people type :lol still because when I turn my head sideways it looKs like a little face with its mouth wide open laughing. Taking away smilies MADE THEM BETTER :O

The modding is the best things about Neogaf. The more moderators an internet forum has, the better the quality of discussion is (sure there exceptions, but in general it's true).

GAF mods should crack down ever more. Like, what I'm writing right now should be borderline bannable.

(Current mods are too lenient when it comes to discussion of gross pictures/movies/filth such as car accidents and tubgirl and all that.)

Dice said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395943

I use the Greasemonkey scripts with Firefox. As for blocking avatars, I did that myself. I forget how I did it because it was hard as hell targeting the exact code and it still for some inexplicable reason also removes the quote link (and thus multi-quote button) every few hundred posts or something, but anything is possible with script editing.

So where is the multi-quote thing?

Burger

dudeworld said:
lol yeah. I never watch CSI but is it really that shitty? or did they half-ass that particular episode because bieber was there?

Why is a forensic scientist blowing away a teenager with a sub machine gun outside the realm of possibility?

dmshaposv

Government-man said:
I love NeoGaf but the one thing bugging me is animated avatars. Some are worse than others though.

Edit:
AeYxX.gif
is gold.

kanyeavatar2.gif

But srsly, animated avatars give the much needed personality to the user. Without them, gaf would be too boring...the lol smiley was a huge blow already.

Minamu

EricHasNoPull said:
So you've been typing :lol so many times that now you've developed a habit of :lol-ing every time?

Thats just sad. ...development of affairs
Well, not really. I used the buttons for the smilies for the most part. I'm sure a lot of guys are doing it out of habit though. And as a way to fight the power so to speak. I'm not one of those who just quote and type :lol. I don't really see what you're being so moody about. Forum smilies aren't worthy of internet drama :)

GAF Forever, bitches.

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of decades from now we had prominent academics, CEOs and a political leader or two on here.

I await the inevitable:

Anchor 1: "What is that on his cuff?"
Anchor 2: "It appears to be some orange and grey circle, but there no known organization that sports something quite like that."
Anchor 1: "Interesting that such a tycoon would wear a symbol like that. Probably some clothing line we can't afford, hahaha."

Meanwhile, GAF freaks out.

MetalAlien

Banned
perryfarrell said:
The modding is the best things about Neogaf. The more moderators an internet forum has, the better the quality of discussion is (sure there exceptions, but in general it's true).

GAF mods should crack down ever more. Like, what I'm writing right now should be borderline bannable.

(Current mods are too lenient when it comes to discussion of gross pictures/movies/filth such as car accidents and tubgirl and all that.)

I've been to forums like that where you are constantly worried you might have stepped over bounds. They suck. The only people who stay are prick rule followers who need control in their lives.

MetalAlien

Banned
Is that so you can find the quoted post? I've always wondered why quotes are not clickable. 100 page thread and you want to read the post of the person who is quoted would be awesome.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
MIMIC said:
We still can't view post history :(

WTF ever happened to that?
So people would stop abusing the post history comebacks to make others look like baboons, instead of focusing on the discussion/debate at hand. In a way it was similar to slipping in a racial/weight/looks insult into an argument just for the sake of feeling better about yourself whilst taking a weak stab at your opponent.

beast786

Love the variety of users. the opinions range from all over the spectrum. And most know how to sustain a good discussion.

It is also hard to BS because there is always someone here who knows. The variety of people here is just astounding. I luv Gaf

UrbanRats

The only thing i miss, technically speaking, is a button next to the quoted's nick, to jump to the original post.
Some forums have it, it's quite useful, if you want to put that quote into context.

MetalAlien said:
I've been to forums like that where you are constantly worried you might have stepped over bounds. They suck. The only people who stay are prick rule followers who need control in their lives.

I've submitted your post to the GAF mods in order to have you banned. Nice knowing ya. Pfff, to reply to me like that.... tks tsk

wink-emote.jpg

dschalter

speedpop said:
So people would stop abusing the post history comebacks to make others look like baboons, instead of focusing on the discussion/debate at hand. In a way it was similar to slipping in a racial/weight/looks insult into an argument just for the sake of feeling better about yourself whilst taking a weak stab at your opponent.

it wasn't just about saving bandwidth or whatever?

dudeworld

Burger said:
Why is a forensic scientist blowing away a teenager with a sub machine gun outside the realm of possibility?

I was talking about the awful acting and the inconsistency of the scenes. But you raise a good point.

Love GAF!

The GAF community is really great and the simple look of it all is indeed a huge plus....

This place is such a massive upgrade coming from the IGN Boards all those years ago.

Calcaneus

I would be fine with just being able to search my own post history. I don't really care as much about stalking you guys than stalking myself.

perryfarrell said:
I've submitted your post to the GAF mods in order to have you banned. Nice knowing ya. Pfff, to reply to me like that.... tks tsk

wink-emote.jpg

:lol

But really though, I particularly enjoy the somewhat laid back atmosphere this place brings.

The people here, are awesome and they're truthful (for the most part).

The mods are great and communicate with you as fellow members, yet do their job at the same time. It's fair and it really makes you feel at home.

Some forums have mods who sound like robots all the damn time.

Kudos to GAF!

speedpop said:
talk about hilarious damage control when the issue was just saving money and/or bandwidth by using fucking shitty google search

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This place is my online home, literally.
I love you all...yes even the juniors.
I love the mods. And Evil. <3
I love the mini communities like Street Fighter GAF <3 <3 <3, Cannabis GAF-ja rasssta, SNSD GAF-Taeyeon fo life and much more.
I love the realness, the good puns, the gifs, the politics and everything else. Gaming side, OT, Community section; I reside in all and all reside within me. We are one. Ja Bless.

Also shout-outs to still not being able to make threads. I love it all baby.
Live, love, smile, experience, communicate, appreciate. Let it rock till you depart this lovely planet of ours.

Meadows

Banned
The post history thing is useful though, I often forget where I've posted the day before and am probably leaving replies to my post unanswered. Oh well.

Hi... My name is Fernando.

I was a long time lurker and now I'm finally a member. I was a regular poster at Joystiq and CAG.

I'm from Mexico. English is not my primary language. I'm a graphic designer (I will try to contribute in the Photoshop threads) and I currently work at Sony.

I just want to say that I love the community here. It feels good to be part of this great site.

Believe!

DanteFox

Fernando Rocker said:
Hi... My name is Fernando.

I was a long time lurker and now I'm finally a member. I was a regular poster at Joystiq and CAG.

I'm from Mexico. English is not my primary language. I'm a graphic designer (I will try to contribute in the Photoshop threads) and I currently work at Sony.

I just want to say that I love the community here. It feels good to be part of this great site.

Believe!
Oh shoot I remember your username from when I visited Joystiq back in the day! Lol Neogaf is sooooo much better. :]

speedpop said:

It was rarely used that way. The only time it was used to call people out was when they were making fools of themselves anyway.

There are times when a persons posting history can be used in a discussion besides attempts at petty insults.

Not to mention it was useful for looking up your own posting history.

DanteFox said:
Oh shoot I remember your username from when I visited Joystiq back in the day! Lol Neogaf is sooooo much better. :]
Hahaha... yeah. I used to be one of the most popular posters over Joystiq, but things changed.

The bloggers became Wii haters, big time. I know it's a blog, but still... the writers should be more neutral, in my opinion.

CzarTim

Fernando Rocker said:
Hahaha... yeah. I used to be one of the most popular posters over Joystiq, but things changed.

The bloggers became Wii haters, big time. I know it's a blog, but still... the writers should be more neutral, in my opinion.
Your avatar doesn't work btw.

dudeworld

speedpop said:

you can still do that using google. it's not as efficient and organized, but you can still do it pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom