• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the greatest things about NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Meadows said:
The post history thing is useful though, I often forget where I've posted the day before and am probably leaving replies to my post unanswered. Oh well.
Go to User CP -> Edit Options and change your default thread subscription mode to "no email notification."

Now every thread you post in will be listed on your subscriptions page.

The nice thing about GAF is that it has a pretty broad cross-section of people from all over the place, which means that for almost any occurrence or subject, there are at least a few people who know what they're talking about. Granted, there are still PLENTY of dumb people/arguments, as is the internet way, but I find that it's generally one of the more intelligent forums that I've seen, probably because there are actually a decent number of boundaries set up by the mods instead of the free-for-all that tends to get set up in other places.

I like gaf's simple forum layout (+ a userstyle)

That and the number of level headed people vastly outnumber the the idiots most other forums it's the complete opposite.

I just like the fact that GAF Premium allows me to have a signature like I do on all other forums I go to. Definitely worth the $50 a year, IMHO. Plus the fact that smileys actually show up, and I get an avatar gallery to upload my avatar directly to GAF's servers.

[CLICK HERE FOR A FREE PS3! 100% Legit!]

Meadows

Banned
Monocle said:
Go to User CP -> Edit Options and change your default thread subscription mode to "no email notification."

Now every thread you post in will be listed on your subscriptions page.

ta!

Minamu said:
Well, not really. I used the buttons for the smilies for the most part. I'm sure a lot of guys are doing it out of habit though. And as a way to fight the power so to speak. I'm not one of those who just quote and type :lol. I don't really see what you're being so moody about. Forum smilies aren't worthy of internet drama :)

:lol

elfinke

The abundant use of *.gifs - I love 'em.

The lack of signatures - sooooo good.

News either happens here, or is discussed here before the 7 o'clock news even knows of it, y'know, the Gaf -> Internet -> Gaf circle.

The site (well, the secondapps version of it) runs and looks great on my iDevice while I take a crap.

All these things make me laugh no end and make this a damn fine place to hang out.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's simple, which works great for me. I do miss the :lol smiley though and being able to view your post history. Aside from that, it's a great place.

tino

Banned
The best thing about GAF is being able to resist the temptation to split the OT into sub-forums. Now that I think about, it was probably what killed GBS for me in something awful.

Now I spend much more time in GAF than SA.

Tntnnbltn

speedpop said:
So people would stop abusing the post history comebacks to make others look like baboons, instead of focusing on the discussion/debate at hand. In a way it was similar to slipping in a racial/weight/looks insult into an argument just for the sake of feeling better about yourself whilst taking a weak stab at your opponent.
That's like... completely not true.

I just got my profile approved today after stalking this place for months, really looking forward to posting. I was really attracted to this place because of its maturity. You might laugh at that, but compared to places like Gamespot and IGN, Gaf is very refreshing.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
PushTheButtonMax said:
I just got my profile approved today after stalking this place for months, really looking forward to posting. I was really attracted to this place because of its maturity. You might laugh at that, but compared to places like Gamespot and IGN, Gaf is very refreshing.

I got my profile approved today as well. I have spent a year lurking and this place is great. I just fear the bans.

Amakusa

Funny pictures, gifs, memes, and how many different people from all over the world post here.
You guys are my World News.
NEOGAF since 2000 or 2001... can't remember.

It's simply the #1 site for gaming news that has a passably level headed community. Sure the community isn't the most diverse and tends to be very closed minded on certain subjects (especially those dealing with women). But it's 1000 times better than other forums (most likely due to the site's wonderful moderation). Outside of SomethingAwful I can't think of another place where I can have a deep discussion about politics or religion.

Another thing I really enjoy is how active the site is. With virtually only two boards there's tons of stuff to keep track of.

Also the site is very minimalistic, simple, and intuitive. Most other forums are a mess.

Gaf isn't perfect but it is the best. Perfect level of activity, great moderation weeding out (most) idiots and trolls, simple layout with no irritating bells and whistles, decent punsmiths... good shit.

The only thing it really needs is a functional search. Can't even find your own topics, that's a big problem.

Empty

revolverjgw said:
Gaf isn't perfect but it is the best. Perfect level of activity, great moderation weeding out (most) idiots and trolls, simple layout with no irritating bells and whistles, decent punsmiths... good shit.

The only thing it really needs is a functional search. Can't even find your own topics, that's a big problem.

going into settings and set it to autosubscribe to threads that you post in, then use subscriptions. i don't even know how i would go back to browsing gaf without that.

Dice said:
If you haven't taken the time to realize it, NeoGAF hasn't become bloated. It is still a focused, streamlined forum. I find that over the years, everything I love on the internet becomes so bloated that I don't want to use it anymore, one by one, whether it be gaming sites, tech sites, news sites, Facebook, Skype, etc.

However, GAF stays simple. It doesn't continue to add pointless features, and it doesn't pull other things in or sell itself to others. I really fucking appreciate that a lot. Here's to over a decade of consistency! We did it, GAF!

Hell, if anything we lose features. :lol

And we love it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
finding out about the User CP page after ~3 years of daily visits to gaf was glorious. so. damn. glorious.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I do appreciate the quality of the discussion here, and I really enjoy posting here. The size versus good content ratio is the best I've come across as far as internet communities go. I just wish there was more transparency on the admin/mod side. Nothing absurd, just, you know, something more than next to nothing and then the ensuing total block of any sort of questioning. It's a tad authoritarian. Maybe I'm just bitter.

Shadybiz

If not for Gaf, I probably would not have started to get into PC gaming (I was always more for consoles). I also would never have known about Steam. My backlog and I thank Gaf !!

who cares about search, that shit is for some bitchmade creepy ass psychostalkers who be taking shit too serious...got some weird emails even phone calls talking shit and saying my gaf name, yo you come at me like that in the streets you gon catch the buck fifty

daffy

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
who cares about search, that shit is for some bitchmade creepy ass psychostalkers who be taking shit too serious...got some weird emails even phone calls talking shit and saying my gaf name, yo you come at me like that in the streets you gon catch the buck fifty
Hahaha no way! They called you bafflewaffle in real life?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
EricHasNoPull said:
Thanks to GAF, I've become a GIF collecting maniac!

* wish I started labeling them earlier :(

60104538.jpg
Well I haven't labeled mine either, but within Firefox 4 you can create tab groups. This is one of mine.

bet0a7m.png

I use secondapps.com/neogaf on my phone (my old Android phone won't load the default site correctly), and there is a feature there that I like a lot: my comments (and quoted comments) appear highlighted.

What do you guys think about that feature?

Also... I love this forum not having signatures!

Empty

Fernando Rocker said:
I use secondapps.com/neogaf on my phone (my old Android phone won't load the default site correctly), and there is a feature there that I like a lot: my comments (and quoted comments) appear highlighted.

What do you guys think about that feature?

Also... I love this forum not having signatures!

i didn't really like it, personally. found it too distracting.

but i can see why people like it, and if it's your cup of tea and you want that feature for non mobile gaf there's a script that can help you

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395943

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom