• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the most underappreciated anime: Infinite Ryvius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infinite-Ryvius-wallpaper.jpg

Alright GAF, lately I watched an anime I'd like to talk about for a little bit: Infinite Ryvius.

I'd like to start from the basics so that everyone is roughly on the same page.

Firstly listen to its main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEk5yWUu-ig

awesome isn't it? It sets the mood quite well for the whole show. Or if you want something more relaxing to play in the background while you read this post try this other track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM6TnBvJC2w

Alright, so what is exactly Infinite Ryvius about? The plot is as follows: In a distant future a bunch of teenagers find themselves aboard a space station to undergo training, either to become pilots or to prepare for other jobs aboard the station itself. Suddenly a group of terrorists boards the station, kills almost all the adults in control of its systems and sabotages the gravitational engine. The station is about to fall in the Geduld, a region of space containing a high pressure gas wich had been released by a solar eruption 80 years earlier in a mysterious event. If the station sinks in the Geduld it will be crushed by effect of the high pressure, so from now on the hundreds of kids who are still aboard need to work together in order to make it out alive.

A still from one of the early episodes, when the terrorists attack the station

Alright, I hope that the summary did not annoy you, and excuse me for my bad english (I'm not a native speaker). One thing that you may have noticed is that I have not mentioned the name of one single character: that was in fact intentional.

The reason is that Infinite Ryvius has a coral cast, and each one of the many kids play a vital role in the development of the plot. This leads me to the first great aspect of Infinite Ryvius: its cast.

THE CAST

The cast of Ininite Ryvius

There's no denying that Infinite Ryvius' authors had been inspired by Evangelion (more on that later). This is evident by the attention paid to the characterization of each element of the very large cast (we are talking about 10 or more very distinct characters). Each of the girls and boys reacts very naturally to the fear indulging situation that develops after the terrorists attack the station. As the story progresses you start to learn more about their past. The perilous situation forces the kids to cooperate and this brings to the surface the traumatic experiences that some of them had to go through in their childhoods. These revelations are gradual and never feel forced: in this regard I believe Infinite Ryvius excels and surpasses its model, Evangelion. These characters feel authentic in a way Asuka, Shinji and co didn't – at least to me . While Evangelion's protagonists are, in my opinion, mainly a vehicle for Hideaki Anno to convey his emotions to the viewer, Infinite Ryvius's are much more independent, by saying which I mean that it truly feels like they inhabit their own world. Their descent into madness and desperation is gradual and as believable as it can be and clues about the daemons that hide inside them are present from the very first episodes (obviously they become manifest only after the first viewing).

images

Emotional moments abound in Infinite Ryvius but the show slowly builds up to them

That's not to say that there aren't positive characters. Actually there are quite a few of them. The most surprising thing to me was that I ended up caring even for those characters who at first seemed less than likable.

Take Lucson, for example.

images

Houjou, Lucson, captain of the Zwei special unit

He is the commander of a special unit , called Zwei, formed by the most capable cadets. After the terrorists attack, since the adults have all been killed, they decide to take control of the situation. However Lucson far overestimates his abilities, being totally reliant on the other students' skills. Soon enough he is kicked out of the unit and he's practically abondend by everyone esle. Nonetheless he never shows any resentment and even though he remains as foolish as ever, he demonstrates to posses many qualities, which complement and round off his personality. Though time and again he is subjected to humiliation by the bullies who have started to gang up, he always stands for those who depend on him, proud of his title of commander of the Zwei unit.

I'm afraid I could not really convey what I like about the characters. Let me say one last thing: I never found myself thinking ”this is absurd", or ”this is really stupid of them", something that happens to me very frequently, even when I watch shows that I enjoy otherwise.

THE BATTLES

The mech controlled by the kids

Another thing that you may have noticed about my plot synopsis is that there is no mention of battles, even though Infinite Ryvius is, supposedly, a show about battles between mechs. This is another sign of Evangelion's inspiration: I would never recommend Evangelion for its battles. Sure, most of them look great, but the show as a whole is much more than that. Similarly, you shouldn't really watch Infinite Ryvius for its action sequences. There are few of them and the mechs start playing a meaningful role only 10 episodes in. Nonetheless Infinite Ryvius manages to be great in this aspect too. While the sequences are not as technically marvelous as Evangelion's, they are well thought out. They are slow paced, which means that strategy plays a vital role, and they also have a kind of hard sci-fi vibe to them, which makes them slightly reminiscent of those of Legend of the Galactic Heroes (even though the scale is much, much smaller). More importantly the mech at the kids' command must be operated by several users at the same time, which predictly gives rise to incomprehension and rivalries. There is another very ingenious element about the operation of the mech, but I cannot give that away without spoiling the plot a tiny bit. In the end I think that the battles are another valid reason why you should look forward to watching Infinite Ryvius.

THE VISUALS AND SOUND

The visual design gets progressively darker (quite literally) as things go awry inside the station

Both the visuals and the soundtrack date very precisely Infinite Revyius as product of its era, the late 90's, and this of course can be a positive thing or a negative thing depending on who you ask. Therefore I'd like to start with some objective observations regarding the technical aspect of the presentation. The drawings can be rough at times and the animation is not always as smooth as one would hope for. Moreover the characters' design has been criticized by many people, even though I must say I like it quite a lot, due mainly to its simplicity and realism (with the exception of one very important character: I'll let you guess which one). The same criticism could be leveraged against the soundtrack: it's not for everyone, and the contamination of styles may sound jarring.
With that said I have nothing but praise for many aspects of the visual and sound design. Firstly, and this is admittedly very subjective, I like the feel of it all: many sets are very dimly lit, the soundtrack is composed mainly of atmospheric tracks and everything comes together to create an atmosphere which at times can be very ominous, even though it never really veers into horror. As I was saying Infinite Ryvius is a product of its time, and this for me was definitely a plus: if you like the soundtrack of games like Ridge Racer type 4, with its sporadic incursions into jazz, or Ridge Racer V, with its techno tunes, you're going to appreciate Infinite Ryviu's too. If you like other contemporary shows like Lain you're going to enjoy Infinite Ryvius' direction too, with its abundance of quiet moments and its art style only superficially bland.
In the end from a technical standpoint I don't think that Infinite Ryvius is going to impress anyone, but I do think that both the visuals and the soundtrack do their jobs quite well.

THE POLITICS

There's only one gun in the whole station: the symbol of power and responsability

Not only the kids trapped inside the space station must find the means to prevent the looming disaster, they must also learn how to live together: to this effect they establish a government. Infinite Ryvius has been summarized many times as ”Lord of the Flies set in space". I must confess that I've never read that novel (I know – shame on me!) but, knowing the general proceedings, I must say that the comparison seems on point. Anyway, as you can imagine, the establishment of this government leads to the creation of privileges for those affiliated with it. Soon enough an insurrection erupts and those in charge are forced to step down. Another group of kids try their hands at ruling the station, this time enforcing much more strict policies about food ratios, free hours and so on. Throughout the show the spectator will witness three different establishments trying to maintain order inside the station. While Infinite Ryvius is not heavy on political commentary, the way the characters' subplots are intertwined with the scheming of those who seek to gain power makes for a very compelling watch.

CONCLUSION

Having reread this impressions of mine I feel like I may have left you cold about Infinite Ryvius. The fact is that one of the qualities of the show is that of being generally quite subtle about its themes. Sure, technobabble abounds, but the character development is impressively coherent and believable and while the plot is thin and little more than an excuse to put the protagonists in a dangerous situation, there are many scenes whose outcome is difficult to predict. Being only 25 episodes it's not an enormous investment of time and in the end I'd recommend it to anyone who digs the psychological character portraits that Evangelion is known for.

Bebpo

Banned
I can get behind this. One of my favorite shows from that era. Made me a fan of Goro Taniguchi for years.

Lord of the flies in space with great execution and a hip soundtrack (Persona 3-5 before there was Persona 3-5). Awesome show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Loved it, but one part pissed me off.

Kouji Aiba never comes into his own. There were so many times where it seemed like it was finally going to happen.

watched it a few years back, and loved it too! Love this kind of show, when people are isolated and have to survive on their own

Osukaa

Hmm sounds like an anime id be interested in checking out. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope they have it on Crunchyroll -_-....

Lord of the flies in space with great execution and a hip soundtrack (Persona 3-5 before there was Persona 3-5). Awesome show.

The soundtrack is very divisive: some people (like me) love it to pieces, other hate it.

Regarding the spoiler I can't say that I agree with you, Trojita.
Even though it took the whole show in the end Kouji is the one who comes off as the most sensible guy. At the beginning he was very much like Evangelion's Shinji but by the end he matured into a more adult person, by virtue of upholding his principles. I thought it was a refreshing take on the moping teen stereotype.

watched it a few years back, and loved it too! Love this kind of show, when people are isolated and have to survive on their own

Yeah, me too! The atmosphere is so tense throughout the show.

Your English is excellent by the way, didn't have any trouble understanding that summary.

Thanks! It took me quite a while to write the OP down and I still feel like I couldn't really express why I like this show so much.

Alright, it's quite late where I live, therefore I won't be able to respond to further comments until tomorrow. I hope you enjoyed the reading.

Bebpo

Banned
I also wanna stress how well directed it is. The way the scenes flow and cut, the editing is just superb. It was Goro's first time directing iirc, and it's the equivalent of an indie movie director making a splash with their first major film like Requiem for a Dream or Rushmore or something.
Then he did Scryed, which is has issues, mostly relating to the script, but I still loved it for the hot-blooded action and one of the best final episodes ever. 25 mins of two people punching each other and screaming. Can't beat that for a hot-blood show.

Then the Planetes adaptation, which was great since he had a good script to work with.

Then...Code Geass...lol, and that was pretty much the end of his career even if it was mighty entertaining. But it was the beginning of him just sticking to mainstream junk food food TV. Though he did a Kimba the Lion movie that I never saw and I heard it was good.

Thanks! It took me quite a while to write the OP down and I still feel like I couldn't really express why I like this show so much.

Alright, it's quite late where I live, therefore I won't be able to respond to further comments until tomorrow. I hope you enjoyed the reading.

Yeah, your opening post is great!

I also wanna stress how well directed it is. The way the scenes flow and cut, the editing is just superb. It was Goro's first time directing iirc, and it's the equivalent of an indie movie director making a splash with their first major film like Requiem for a Dream or Rushmore or something.
Yeah, your opening post is great!

Absolutely, I found the editing to be stellar at times. I especially liked the juxtaposition of some scenes, like for instance when the terrorists size the control room and then it abruptly cuts to Kouji and Aoi wandering aimlessly inside the station.

There are also some excellent scenes, where the writing, the editing and the soundtrack come together to create very memorable moments. I especially liked the
alleged rape scene. Other shows, perhaps aimed at a different audience, would have probably been less tasteful in the execution of that scene. But Infinite Ryvius leaves almost everything to the imagination (to the point that it's never explicitly clarified what actually happened) and instead focus on the aftermath,
through the lens of the victim's friends.

Thank you for the kind compliment!

klee123

Great anime, pretty much Lord of the Flies in anime form.

Not a fan of the character designs, similar to Gundam Seed and Scryed.

Interesting, I'll need to check this out.

Well, you got me interested. I'll throw this on the list.

Thanks OP. Sounds great. Going to watch it as soon as possible.

I've actually been meaning to watch this. Your post put me over the edge OP.

Glad to hear that! It would make me happy if more people watched this anime based on my recommendation.

Great anime, pretty much Lord of the Flies in anime form.

Not a fan of the character designs, similar to Gundam Seed and Scryed.

Yeah, the character design, the soundtrack and the editing are the more divisive aspects of the show. The character design and the soundtrack as well are a relic of the 90's, and this is one of the reasons why I cherish them. But I do think that they have their merits, especially the soundtrack. On the other hand I believe that the character design was not served well by the animation, which at times it was clearly constrained by budget issues (the production expertise is not in question since, if memory serves me well, it's the same team which made Cobwoy Bebop)

Can't have an under appreciated anime thread without Earth Maiden Arjuna being mentioned.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll remember to check it out.

Did you guys know the director and writer of this have reteamed for a brand new anime this season?!

Lol.

Interesting, thank you for the info! But why lol?

I think duckroll's just poking fun at how far the pair have fallen in quality these days. I googled it and the new show ID-0 looks ok, but I'm not really a fan of CG anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

ah...

well, the video doesn't reveal much about the anime. Maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise! But then again, there are so many quality anime, especially old ones, that nowadays something needs to be exceptionally good to grab one's attention. (By the way cg anime in my opinion can be done right: take for instance Kill la Kill. The way the cg blends with the traditional animation is impeccable. Though obviously an entire show made using cg is a different thing.)

JCG

Infinite Ryvius is one of those shows that can be frustrating to watch when the characters are being extremely terrible to each other, but that works very well with the premise and its themes..

Then he did Scryed, which is has issues, mostly relating to the script, but I still loved it for the hot-blooded action and one of the best final episodes ever. 25 mins of two people punching each other and screaming. Can't beat that for a hot-blood show.

Then the Planetes adaptation, which was great since he had a good script to work with.

Then...Code Geass...lol, and that was pretty much the end of his career even if it was mighty entertaining. But it was the beginning of him just sticking to mainstream junk food food TV. Though he did a Kimba the Lion movie that I never saw and I heard it was good.

I think the point is each of those projects involves different goals and methods, so the results are naturally going to vary and so will their audiences. Scryed was dumb shounen fighting action starring two stubborn macho characters who hate each other's guts and fight with over-the-top superpowers, so the script is more about feeding that than trying to explore anything else. Planetes did benefit from a solid framework, but it still took quite a surprising number of creative liberties with the source material rather than just being a strictly faithful adaptation. There are folks who have various issues with this based on principle or personal preference, but I think the darker and more politically-oriented second half was great. There's barely any of that content in the manga.

Code Geass is a whole other can of worms with a wide range of positive and negative reactions. Even so, the series accomplished its main objective of being highly entertaining and there's enough good in the direction that contributes to explaining why it's still popular (even some of the critics will acknowledge this much). I should say there was also GunXSword, a mecha adventure/revenge tale that is finally getting a BD release in Japan this year. That was entertaining too, though just a cult hit in comparison..

Not quite sure about what you mean by "sticking to mainstream junk food" since Taniguchi didn't direct any TV anime for years after R2 ended. Unlike his writing partners, Taniguchi basically stopped working until 2015, but I'd be hard-pressed to call his newer TV projects particularly "mainstream" for all sorts of reasons. In fact, I'd say they've all been risky in their own ways (I am obviously not talking about the upcoming Code Geass sequel here, since that's guaranteed to gain attention).

I think duckroll's just poking fun at how far the pair have fallen in quality these days. I googled it and the new show ID-0 looks ok, but I'm not really a fan of CG anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

ah...

well, the video doesn't reveal much about the anime. Maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise! But then again, there are so many quality anime, especially old ones, that nowadays something needs to be exceptionally good to grab one's attention. (By the way cg anime in my opinion can be done right: take for instance Kill la Kill. The way the cg blends with the traditional animation is impeccable. Though obviously an entire show made using cg is a different thing.)

I would say it's more about a fall in relevance or, if you prefer, popularity. Kuroda did a very nice job on Gundam Build Fighters (not so much the sequel, Try) and Taniguchi did some good work on Maria the Virgin Witch (less so with the completely niche Super Sentai-inspired project that came afterwards).

More importantly...the sad thing is ID-0, the new show they're both working on, actually happens to be pretty good! It is closer in spirit to Outlaw Star and other space adventure series from the 1990s than to what is considered as cutting edge these days, but the script is building up some interesting links between a strange mineral, mind transfer technology and memory loss while still being reasonably fun to watch. It's not quite as dramatic as Infinite Ryvius yet, but it'll probably end up going to some dark places by the end of the story. There's also this video suggesting as much. If you're ever interested, try checking out 2 or 3 episodes.

Mind you, I realize that my explaining this probably doesn't matter because most people either can't watch it (Netflix has the rights but isn't officially streaming the series in English yet) or they won't even give the show a chance in the first place due to the 3D or whatever else.

Hi JCG, sorry if I did not reply earlier, but I didn't expect that anyone would notice this thread, since it had been buried so soon by the daily stream of news!

Lots of interesting info in your post, especially regarding this newer show, ID-0, which I'm now tempted to track down. Thank you very much for your contribution!

Oxn

I watched it over a decade ago, and its one of the best animes ever. Every time i mention it no one knows wtf im talking about. Like you got hardcore anime fans that has never heard of it.

I watched it over a decade ago, and its one of the best animes ever. Every time i mention it no one knows wtf im talking about. Like you got hardcore anime fans that has never heard of it.

There is such an abundance of good shows that it is no wonder that one who have seen even a hundred of them may have missed this one. But yes, it is certainly overlooked and underappreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom