• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

NSESN

While the marines aren't all good people. The likes of Smoker and Tashigi are definitely better than some of the SH.

Ogodei

OP sees government v pirates as more "order v chaos" than "good v evil." Chaos can be liberation and change, order can be law and peace, chaos can be lawless brutality, order can be despotic oppression.

Smoker, Tashigi and Coby are the only marines I'll ever respect. Because they deserve it. Also Garp is a punk bitch, I don't care how well he can throw cannonballs.

Smoker and Tashigi need to become admirals. Nuff said.

1QS2oUs.png

Smoker's pants eating the little girl's ice cream was a great introduction, just because you fully expect him to be a shithead like most marines up to that point.

Veelk

Banned

*Throws suggestion to make Smoker and Tashigi admirals right in the trash and burns it with fire.*

This is why Akainu is such a great admiral.

He took the first fleet commander of a yonko with the largest bounty of any Pre-timeskip era pirate and he solo'd him without any damage.

Frikken hero.

talking about marines being good or evil, whats your take on sengoku?

also, garp is good, he saved ace

PEkvVoK.png

Sengoku is a piece of shit, remember. He was totally down with indiscriminately murdering civilians for studying history - it's actually kind of depressingly realistic that he gets to retire peacefully in the end.

I'm going to say that I'm not convinced Garp is genuinely a good person either. He's absolutely someone who would willingly go around hurting innocent people - but let's not forget all the effort he put into getting Luffy and Ace (and probably Dragon) into the Marines. Garp's passion for the marines would be one thing if he were a rookie like Coby or something, but he's near the top of the organization. He knows full well that the marines will do things like raze islands to the ground for studying history, slaughter pregnant women and babies for potentially being tied to criminals, help the Celestial Dragons kidnap people and condemn them to the horrors of slavery, etc. So not only did Garp decide he was 100% fine with the way the World Government runs things and how they treat the common people (he must have been, or he wouldn't have fought so hard for so long on their behalf), but he seemed pretty excited to give Luffy and Ace the chance to go out on a marine ship one day so they could kill civilians or capture escaped slaves for their own.

I don't think Garp is truly malicious but I'd probably say he's an evil person with no courage or moral backbone. If he wasn't, he would have jumped ship and helped the Revolutionaries.

This is why Akainu is such a great admiral.

He took the first fleet commander of a yonko with the largest bounty of any Pre-timeskip era pirate and he solo'd him without any damage.

Frikken hero.

He's a piece of shit in my eyes and always will be. I hope he gets his just desserts sooner than later.

Edit: Now I want Sengoku to suffer along with him.

I'm really looking forward to the backstories for Sakazuki, Kuzan, and Borsalino. That'll be ripe with character drama.

The Marines have some of the most intriguingly gray characters in the story. I'd love an entire volume of the adventures of Garp, Sengoku, and Tsuru in their prime.

Top Bottom