• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Red Fire

unbenanntt5bxb.png

No wonder everyone loves the jello

Ogodei

King is a homie shouldn't Big Mom just be able to control him or is she just not in the state to do that I wonder.

Similar to the zombies, there's probably varying degrees of control. So yeah, with Big Mom directly present, King Baum's only gonna listen to her.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reading Water Seven again. The joke about Kaku=Usopp still cracks me up everytime. It's so subtle and even gets Sanji, the one guy who always pays attention to this shit.

Luffy's reaction to Hattori not fighting his own battles is also too good.

Gonna be the shortest arc yet thanks to Zoro

Lol, it could honestly be longer than Dressrosa considering the setup. We're talking an arc involving multiple of the worst generation, a Yonko who's been extremely hinted to being taken down in said arc, as well as one of the most foreshadowed nations in One Piece. No way is Oda rushing through this.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol, it could honestly be longer than Dressrosa considering the setup. We're talking an arc involving multiple of the worst generation, a Yonko who's been extremely hinted to being taken down in said arc, as well as one of the most foreshadowed nations in One Piece. No way is Oda rushing through this.

Yea, Wano now has even more hype than Elbaf in terms of countries we've been waiting to see forever.

Ray Down

Banned
Why are there two Luffys?

What are Ace and Whitebeard doing out of their graves?
A good party makes the dead come back!

Wano will be longer.

Metal B

Oda also build it up as the first arc in ages, where the whole crew will be together and have to face a true, beatable challenge. The Last time was Thriller Bark! In Sabaody Archipelago there were meant to be destroyed, while on Fishman Island and Punk Hazard they were overpowered and given handicaps (environment disadvantage and put into different bodies). So Wano is going to be as long but better as Dressrosa.

I can see Elbaf being a shorter arc after Wano, so that people can catch their breath, and build as a second part to the Whole Cake Island arc (since Big Mom is already introduced). All in all Big Mom's arc has been setup as a major in-between arc, which is a cool way of structuring it. I can't remember such a arc in any shounen manga seres before .. hell even stories in all media general (maybe in videogames, since you can takle different quest in different orders?).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I picked this up at 7-11 today

Has a cooking with Sanji section. Maybe I'll try to translate the recipes at some point

LotusHD

Banned
Pretty much.

Members in Dressrosa had more to do and had more character.

They were set up to join an alliance, so I'd hope so, though I dunno about them really having more character unless you're counting people like Bellamy. Pretty much just Barto.

As far as I'm concerned he is the main character get all might junior outta here

Lol, so many people seem so down/indifferent towards Deku

Carrot? She's with us now

At this point, yeah.

It will be some female character from Wano. Carrot wants to go out to sea because she's been stuck on Zou. That isn't enough. This Wano character will have even more restriction to freedom to not just travel, but for other things because it's feudal Japan. SH are her path to be free. Carrot is donezo folks.

I will die on this hill.
I want Bonney though tbh

Ray Down

Banned
It will be some female character from Wano. Carrot wants to go out to sea because she's been stuck on Zou. That isn't enough. This Wano character will have even more restriction to freedom to not just travel, but for other things because it's feudal Japan. SH are her path to be free. Carrot is donezo folks.

I will die on this hill.
I want Bonney though tbh

I've seen a bunch of people arguing for a female fighter due to early Oda art of characters of a women with an ask, ignoring the fact that it's clearly Nami who Oda just hasn't come up with her weather gimmick.

Or want Tashigi on, ugh.

If Oda has problems writing Robin in to fight due to Oda, we ain't getting Bonnery with her weird ass power, despite different female personality.

Jinbe just joined you guys.

Until the crew welcome him he isn't or on crew color spreads.
Also only Pekoms said that, which doesn't mean much.

They were set up to join an alliance, so I'd hope so, though I dunno about them really having more character unless you're counting people like Bellamy. Pretty much just Barto.

You can see from the last thread and other forums, many wanted certain members of Dress like Bart Cavendish and Bellamy to join its nigh the exact same people i've seen arguing for people like Carrot and Pedro that swore up and down that Bart or Cavendish would join.

Yet both characters haven't had as much impact,screen time, or focus as those characters (Bart, Cavendish and Bellamy).

Most of the people don't scream Nakama really compared to ones that have joined, mostly just come across as joining the fleet.

LotusHD

Banned
None of those people even made any sense outside of Rebecca, who in hindsight was also a huge stretch. (Only chance she had was revealing herself to be a badass when she actually tries to injure people) The alliance gave them a way to join Luffy, but yea, I never thought current captains would join. (Jinbe doesn't count for obvious reasons)

And then Bellamy is a discount Luffy, so that wasn't happening either.

Ogodei

I'll admit Carrot's lack of anything to do in the climax of Whole Cake Island has put me off the idea that she might be joining, although it still begs the question of why he brought her along in the first place. If he wanted her to be a one-and-done for this arc, he could have given her a story tie-in to it, like Pedro and his former association with the Big Mom pirates. Maybe she had been rescued from slavery by Pekoms or something.

Here we have a strong fighter (but not too strong that she'd tilt the balance of the crew like Jinbe would), with a dream to see the world, kind of quirky but otherwise a blank slate, who is also merchandise-bait to the nth degree, wandering around with the crew for no apparent reason.

Other temp allies have had some sort of tie: Ace being Luffy's brother and only being in Alabasta because he was on Blackbeard's trail (and we knew Blackbeard had been that way because Blackbeard is the one who'd caused Wapol to flee from Drum Island before that arc started). Vivi was only in it to save her kingdom. The Galley La shipwrights and Franky Family fighters were very tied to their arc, everyone on Dressrosa had a reason for being there, Law had a massive grudge against Doffy and now needs to work through the crisis he created by taking out Doffy. Kin'emon and Kanjuro were out to keep Momo safe from Kaidou. Even way back, Jonny and Yosaku were old friends of Zoro's.

So we still need to answer the question: "why Carrot at all, if not to join?"

Euphony

Banned
I'll admit Carrot's lack of anything to do in the climax of Whole Cake Island has put me off the idea that she might be joining, although it still begs the question of why he brought her along in the first place. If he wanted her to be a one-and-done for this arc, he could have given her a story tie-in to it, like Pedro and his former association with the Big Mom pirates. Maybe she had been rescued from slavery by Pekoms or something.

Here we have a strong fighter (but not too strong that she'd tilt the balance of the crew like Jinbe would), with a dream to see the world, kind of quirky but otherwise a blank slate, who is also merchandise-bait to the nth degree, wandering around with the crew for no apparent reason.

Other temp allies have had some sort of tie: Ace being Luffy's brother and only being in Alabasta because he was on Blackbeard's trail (and we knew Blackbeard had been that way because Blackbeard is the one who'd caused Wapol to flee from Drum Island before that arc started). Vivi was only in it to save her kingdom. The Galley La shipwrights and Franky Family fighters were very tied to their arc, everyone on Dressrosa had a reason for being there, Law had a massive grudge against Doffy and now needs to work through the crisis he created by taking out Doffy. Kin'emon and Kanjuro were out to keep Momo safe from Kaidou. Even way back, Jonny and Yosaku were old friends of Zoro's.

Maybe Carrot is going to be the New World equivalent of Vivi where she joins the crew for a couple of arcs for a sense of adventure and then leaves.

LotusHD

Banned
According to Ray and others, she's the cute additional mascot character that plays a similar role to Johnny and Yosaku from way back when. I really don't understand why we needed that role to be filled when One Piece has more than enough levity without her though...

Like you, I agree that it makes very little sense to make her be a stowaway, to give her that awesome first impression, only to dump her later. If she joined the exactly how Pedro did, then it would never even occurred to me that she's a potential member.

That said, obviously there's the whole issue of her probably needing a concrete dream or flashback, so here's to hoping Wano gives us that. In it for the long haul lol

Ray Down

Banned

They're both serving the role of allowing the Strawhats to be split in half and get better focus on those that were missing for a year, while still having enough characters to work with while adding freshness. They are the Jonny and Yosaku of the arc, The Conis and Aisa, the Paulie and Galleyla, the Lola pirates, the Bart and Cavendish, except with even less focus (at least compared to the last two).

There has been literally nothing said about Carrot that wasn't said about Margurite back when we were on Amazon Lilly. Including the "I want to see the world" (think even Mermaid princess had this) shtick and the "she adds this little bit of combat to thing that no one else has!".

The dream to see the world isn't special when everyone on the fucking crew barring Brooke, Zoro and Franky involve traveling.

She had an okay showing in her first chapter appearance with that flip move thing, but otherwise... her personality has been Chopper. Like... exactly Chopper. She's even been paired up with him.

Ogodei

They're both serving the role of allowing the Strawhats to be split in half and get better focus on those that were missing for a year, while still having enough characters to work with while adding freshness. They are the Jonny and Yosaku of the arc, The Conis and Aisa, the Paulie and Galleyla, the Lola pirates, the Bart and Cavendish, except with even less focus (at least compared to the last two).

There has been literally nothing said about Carrot that wasn't said about Margurite back when we were on Amazon Lilly. Including the "I want to see the world" (think even Mermaid princess had this) shtick and the "she adds this little bit of combat to thing that no one else has!".

The dream to see the world isn't special when everyone on the fucking crew barring Brooke, Zoro and Franky involve traveling.

She had an okay showing in her first chapter appearance with that flip move thing, but otherwise... her personality has been Chopper. Like... exactly Chopper. She's even been paired up with him.

Everybody had a reason for being there, though. Not that i disagree, but this would make Carrot unique compared to other "companion of the arc" characters.

She had a reason to be there at Zou. She has not had any reason to be in the plot since then, and Oda doesn't do that. When characters exhaust their plot use, they're discarded at the nearest opportunity until the next time that they become relevant.

LotusHD

Banned
People that say Carrot is exactly like Chopper will always baffle me, like I have to assume people say that because they're both animals, otherwise I just don't get it. She has more in common personality-wise with Luffy if anything. The only thing you can say is that the dynamic between them is clearly trying to mimic Chopper's relationship with Usopp, as now Chopper has someone that looks up to him, something that he's used to doing with several members of the SH crew.

Ray Down

Banned
Everybody had a reason for being there, though. Not that i disagree, but this would make Carrot unique compared to other "companion of the arc" characters.

She had a reason to be there at Zou. She has not had any reason to be in the plot since then, and Oda doesn't do that. When characters exhaust their plot use, they're discarded at the nearest opportunity until the next time that they become relevant.

Her and Pedro are mostly here to fill in for half missing crew so new characters do that while having the new character smell of being new and people speculating what they can do.

She deosn't really hasn't shown any signs of having a deeper element and motivation like Robin did in Arabasta or having a dream with some tragic past so I doubt she like Nami.

It can just be Oda wants us to get familiar with people who will most likely be parts of the mink fleet.

I really don't see there being some special purpose for Carrot like some moon Rabbit fanatics throw around.

Both are the young quirky energetic naive souls that believe anything and wanted to eat all the chocolate furniture and got distracted by the sweets except one is a bit more of a coward then the other and one rushes blindly in to battle. Both can cry at the drop of the hat.

NSESN

Now seriously, what is the difference between Carrot and Pedro in this arc that makes people believe she will join and he won't? You can even argue that Pedro did more by beating Tamago.

Now seriously, what is the difference between Carrot and Pedro in this arc that makes people believe she will join and he won't? You can even argue that Pedro did more by beating Tamago.
He didn't beat him. All he did was stall the dude for Brook. In comparison carrot helped chopper with the mirror shenanigans Pedro certainly didn't do more

Her and Pedro are mostly here to fill in for half missing crew so new characters do that while having the new character smell of being new and people speculating what they can do.

To add to this, it better allows the crew to feel like it's actually been split without really having too many fewer characters to follow or act in the story. We're down Robin, Zoro, Usopp and Franky - Law too if we wanna count him as a de facto member for now - but got Pedro and Carrot, while we still receive Sanji's perspective. Without either of them the only partner in crime for Brooks' daring little raid would have been Chopper, which cuts off the capture of Brulee which is essential to how the Strawhats plan and operate for the rest of the arc.

LotusHD

Banned

It's not about who did more (This is a long ass manga, Oda can easily give Carrot more to do in Wano, right now is mainly Sanji's time to shine), but rather how they joined. Pedro took the task of joining the Straw Hats, so he's there, doing his thing. He has his obvious reasons for joining. Meanwhile Oda had to be all extra about Carrot joining the crew, when he could've simply had Carrot ask to tag along when Pedro decided to join them. It's weird, unnecessary and makes her stand out in a way that Pedro and past characters haven't. Like seriously, if it wasn't for that, she'd be Dressrosa-tier in terms of a character that you'd hope would join the crew. So as always, blame Oda.

She deosn't really hasn't shown any signs of having a deeper element and motivation like Robin did in Arabasta or having a dream with some tragic past so I doubt she like Nami.

It can just be Oda wants us to get familiar with people who will most likely be parts of the mink fleet.

I really don't see there being some special purpose for Carrot like some moon Rabbit fanatics throw around.

Both are the young quirky energetic naive souls that believe anything and wanted to eat all the chocolate furniture and got distracted by the sweets except one is a bit more of a coward then the other and one rushes blindly in to battle. Both can cry at the drop of the hat.

The part about her blindly rushing to battle is part of why saying she's exactly like Chopper makes no sense lol

Top Bottom