• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

semla.jpg

NEED

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think it's kind of just ingrained into their culture, though. I doubt many other societies in the One Piece world would be on board with their leaders leaving for decades, it's Just A Giant Thing™. Luffy and Usopp idolizing it is just because they're teenagers and all about cool masculine things.

One Piece 866:

So besides the giant cameos from characters like Kashi and Hajrudin, were any of the Mother Caramel kids "important" to the current story/people we've seen before, particularly the prince and the kid with the shades?

This kid:

CYrN4O9.png

Could be Stansen, the auction house giant:

latest

And these two might be important:
latest
latest

Although whether we've seen them before or will see them later is hard to tell.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No, but it just makes the whole thing look a lot more selfish.
I don't see how. They were a notorious pirate crew to begin with and it was a few stragglers who happened to get caught after they left. It's not like they directly led to their capture or anything, they weren't with the main crew and were being hunted long before their captains up and left.

Also, I just realized there's a female giant child in this chapter.

Edit: Actually there's several adult ones as well

w5p81wY.png

TerMJtY.png

Veelk

Banned
I think it's kind of just ingrained into their culture, though. I doubt many other societies in the One Piece world would be on board with their leaders leaving for decades, it's Just A Giant Thing™. Luffy and Usopp idolizing it is just because they're teenagers and all about cool masculine things.

I vaguely recall someone, maybe on here, theorizing that, when they actually get to Elbaf, Usopp is going to be more mature about violence and be all "What the fuck was I thinking thinking this was cool" and denounce his previous beliefs of idolizing the fight before.

Though if we're only one or two arcs away, I don't see what development would lead him to that.

Big One

Banned
I'm surprised Big Mom's parents are just...normal people. I wonder how that works. Maybe we'll get an explanation for why oversized humans exist in One Piece.

Veelk

Banned
Why do we need an explanation for why she's so strong/freakish anyway? Plenty of other characters look like freaks that are perfectly human (Moria, Ivankov, etc) and their strength isn't explained beyond "They're just really strong."

Big One

Banned
Why do we need an explanation for why she's so strong/freakish anyway? Plenty of other characters look like freaks that are perfectly human (Moria, Ivankov, etc) and their strength isn't explained beyond "They're just really strong."
Ivankov and Moria are oversized humans too....wouldn't call them normal at all.

I3wb7ro.png

What is that giant shadow in the middle of the panel? Its definitely not the tree, that is on the right end. Could there be multiple ones? It also isn't visible later in the chapter...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I3wb7ro.png

What is that giant shadow in the middle of the panel? Its definitely not the tree, that is on the right end. Could there be multiple ones? It also isn't visible later in the chapter...
I was wondering this as well. A giant pillar to the sky is pretty suspicious. Lots of teasing going on in this chapter.

Yeah I'd prefer it not be explained.

I3wb7ro.png

I think it's in the same ballpark as Zou. Probably just a big ass tree back there.

Veelk

Banned
Ivankov and Moria are oversized humans too....wouldn't call them normal at all.

I mean, there's nothing to suggest there is anything biologically inconsistent. Atleast, no character really commented on it. Moria just...happens to look like a fat, blue devil, but no one thinks to question, atleast to the best of my memory, whether he was of another species.

My point is, humans in One Piece have a REALLY wide breadth of diversity and no one in the series really seems to think anything about it. You have humans with impossible body structures or features and people just take it in stride.

But with Big Mom, people are seeking an explanation. And maybe that's because her own parents seem baffled by it, so the narrative is prompting people to wonder, but I just find it odd because having some wierdo with an impossible body is kind of par for course in OP.

Charlotte was way too lenient on Big Mom. Her parents knew what was up when they dumped her.

Edit: Derp. Meant to say Caramel was too lenient.

Taborcarn

This just makes the candy/giant kids thing on Punk Hazard even creepier. She had such a messed up childhood being huge and abandoned, and she wants to put them through the same thing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Linlin does seem to have major abandonment issues. The whole roulette, and even outright stealing your soul if you wish to leave. Thinking about it, I don't think Carmel was killed, she likely left. At the end of the last chapter, she said "Mother, why did you leave?"

Also, people need to remember Charlotte is the FAMILY name, multiple characters have it. The world of One Piece operates on Japanese naming conventions where the last name is said before the first name, only unlike translating Japanese to English where it's reversed, it's stays the same no matter what. Nobody calls him "Luffy D. Monkey" even if it's "accurate".

So it bothers me when people refer to her as "Charlotte" and not "Big Mom" or even "Linlin". It's lazy!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Seriously though is nobody questioning how Caramel made a storm happen at those gallows. It sure fuckin feels like a Loguetown parallel. And if it's not, you could at least argue that Caramel has the soul fruit and stuck her soul in a cloud just like Big Mom has.

Linlin does seem to have major abandonment issues. The whole roulette, and even outright stealing your soul if you wish to leave. Thinking about it, I don't think Carmel was killed, she likely left. At the end of the last chapter, she said "Mother, why did you leave?"

Also, people need to remember Charlotte is the FAMILY name, multiple characters have it. The world of One Piece operates on Japanese naming conventions where the last name is said before the first name, only unlike translating Japanese to English where it's reversed, it's stays the same no matter what. Nobody calls him "Luffy D. Monkey" even if it's "accurate".

So it bothers me when people refer to her as "Charlotte" and not "Big Mom" or even "Linlin". It's lazy!

I think Linlin killed her but doesn't remember because it was during a fit (just as she didn't remember destroying the castle during the croquembouche fit) and so she was either told or convinced herself the mother just left

Ray Down

Banned
I think Linlin killed her but doesn't remember because it was during a fit (just as she didn't remember destroying the castle during the croquembouche fit) and so she was either told or convinced herself the mother just left
Most likely this.

If people try to say she did she just get angry and get irrational.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Inb4 HUR HUR PUDDING DID IT BECAUSE I'M AN UNORIGINAL MORON THAT WON'T STOP SPEWING MOUTH DIARRHEA

Anteater

I3wb7ro.png

yeah, it's also there in the background behind lin lin too, so it's deliberately drawn

you guys think elbaf is the other way to skypiea? there was a theory that the root of the beanstalk (giant jack) on skypiea was on elbaf

I3wb7ro.png

A beanstalk on an island whose name is fable spelled backwards where giants live while perfectly normal sized people live in the clouds would be my theory.

turmoil

Banned
Can't wait for the next chapter. Want to see BM wreaking havoc as a pirate. More Elbaf. Getting her fruit. Get to know if she met Roger.

It's nice wanting to know more about a villain, I didn't give a shit about Doffy and Law's past but this is intriguing.

Ogodei

I'm surprised Big Mom's parents are just...normal people. I wonder how that works. Maybe we'll get an explanation for why oversized humans exist in One Piece.

Probably has something to do with how Merfolk and Fishmen can produce offspring of a different subspecies than either the mother or father: as long as she had giant somewhere in her ancestral history, there was a chance of her being born a giant. Genetic psuedoscience, as it were.

Lil' Big Mom is actually....kinda cute???
Destructive, but cute.

Oh, man. Oda is barely showing us all of Elbaf. I bet we haven't even seen 20% of the entire island.
And it's hype to see lots of cameos like Oimo, Kashi, Hajrudin, and Stansen.

SolVanderlyn

How would Elbaf be connected to Skypiea? Skypiea was way back in the first half of the Grand Line. Unless the entrance to Heaven/Skypiea/Upper Yard are way further apart than I thought

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think all the islands up in the sky are connected somehow or close enough that you can fly between them with the proper technology.

Top Bottom