• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

So while good-intentioned, Caramel enabled Linlin to become a spoiled brat...but something else is also going on with why she ended up the way she did. Much larger than her supposed birth parents and the strength of a giant at such a young age...what is going on Oda?!

Linlin is less a spoiled brat at this time and more like a special needs child completely out of anyone's hand. She means well in trying to help people and animals but she's so incredibly strong and ignorant of what the world is like that she routinely hurts and destroys what she touches. Caramel constantly forgives her because she knows she innocent of malice at the time which only gives Linlin a false sense of goodness in her eyes. It's pretty sad when all is said and done.

This is a very different backstory than most. Rarely is a character presented as so powerful even in childhood. We're almost always looking at underdogs in these pasts yet here it's the reverse, someone so dangerous no one wants to mess with her.

Hell Linlin's life wasn't even that bad in the sense that no one mistreated her, it was the result of misguided (but not cruel) upbringing combined with her particular biology.

ckohler

yeah, it's also there in the background behind lin lin too, so it's deliberately drawn

They could be waterfalls coming from either the top of the giant tree or the clouds above.

you guys think elbaf is the other way to skypiea? there was a theory that the root of the beanstalk (giant jack) on skypiea was on elbaf

I think Elbaf is the other way to get to Skypia but not directly. Just another way up to the clouds besides the Knock Up Stream.

LotusHD

Banned
Mihawk's cutlery

tumblr_oqimsjyTs21wpjmk1o1_540.jpg

Mihawk's weapon in the Toriko universe.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece 866:

So besides the giant cameos from characters like Kashi and Hajrudin, were any of the Mother Caramel kids "important" to the current story/people we've seen before, particularly the prince and the kid with the shades?
Keep in mind that this flashback is from 63 years ago so any of these kids would either be dead or super old. Other than the giants of course.

Big One

Banned
I do wonder if this flashback will trigger Luffy's Voice of All Things thing and will cause him to rethink the plan to kill Big Mom and turn on Bege. Depends on the direction of the flashback though. It's clear Big Mom has a real disorder of sorts but Mother Caramal isn't really helping by just waving off everything she's doing.

caliph95

Wonder what happened to make her cruel and sadistic she clearly meant well as a kid and was trying to help people Caramel just didn't discipline her enough to teach her.

Something tragic how everything she does is twisted version of Caramel would do just wasn't taught right and wrong as a kid

Crew curing Big Mom a lock?

I mean...they still sort of crashed her party and destroyed her picture of Mother Caramel so that they could murder her. With a bazooka. I think we've crossed the Rubicon here, even assuming anyone on the strawhat's side would have any knowledge of what's going on in her head.

Ray Down

Banned
Wonder what happened to make her cruel and sadistic she clearly meant well as a kid and was trying to help people Caramel just didn't discipline her enough to teach her.

Something tragic how everything she does is twisted version of Caramel would do just wasn't taught right and wrong as a kid

Giants really turning on her maybe.

Elbaf where she may have felt like she was at home.

Ray Down

Banned
I mean...they still sort of crashed her party and destroyed her picture of Mother Caramel so that they could murder her. With a bazooka. I think we've crossed the Rubicon here, even assuming anyone on the strawhat's side would have any knowledge of what's going on in her head.

Curing her may have a temp forgiveness.

Maybe Vinsmokes works some deal with her in helping saving her.

Depends on how this arc will continue.

Maybe Oda has Pudding remove some memories (that fruit HAS to be used for something else).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's possible that the prince is with the revos or something now (deposed from his kingdom and all), but he'd be really old, yeah.

She destroyed an entire town of giants just because she was hungry bro.

caliph95

"You know what *insert villain* stop talking about Akainu he followed his dreams, he was a cool dude"

Though we might get a sympathetic backstory

I dont think Linlin did it. It's a framejob by her doppelganger Big Sister

I havent liked this arc so far but a team-up and reconciliation would rationalize it more to me than a Yonko being so easily/quickly taken down in such a self-contained fashion

caliph95

I dont think Linlin did it. It's a framejob by her doppelganger Solidus Mama

I havent liked this arc so far but a team-up and reconciliation would rationalize it more to me than a Yonko being so easily/quickly taken down in such a self-contained fashion
I could see that

Is the weather thing her powers or is that an excuse for Oda to have a light shining on Mother Caramel

I'm starting to think that Bege's plan to kill is deserved at this point. She's truly a demon. Of course thst plan to kill her won't work unfortunately.

In the context of this flashback, is she really a demon?

She's sorta not doing anything different than what a regular five-year-old child would do.
Lil Linlin is a misguided, probably mentally-ill girl with gigantism.
Throughout the entire chapter, she hasn't done anything with malicious intent. Even at the last page, she's throwing a hunger tantrum, and it looks like it's the beginning of her "food illness".

Mother Carmel is partially to blame for not letting her know right from wrong. She just forgives everything she does, and never tries to instil any kind of discipline.

In the context of this flashback, is she really a demon?

She's sorta not doing anything different than what a regular five-year-old child would do.
Lil Linlin is a misguided, probably mentally-ill girl with gigantism.
Throughout the entire chapter, she hasn't done anything with malicious intent. Even at the last page, she's throwing a hunger tantrum, and it looks like it's the beginning of her "food illness".

Mother Carmel is partially to blame for not letting her know right from wrong. She just forgives everything she does, and never tries to instil any kind of discipline.

She was a naive and unfortunate kid until she destroyed a village because they wouldn't give her sweets during a fast. Look at the people she's killed. Look at her eyes! Demon seems apt.

caliph95

She was a naive and unfortunate kid until she destroyed a village because they wouldn't give her sweets during a fast.
She was a ( maybe mentally ill) kid having a tantrum it wouldn't be a problem if she wasn't so strong as a kid it doesn't make her kid of the year but doesn't make her a demon

When a child has superhuman strength and goes on a tantrum, that's what I'd expect to happen.

Her food craving episodes lean more and more towards mental illness.

Not sure if Oda will go too deep into that topic, but that's what I'm getting.

LotusHD

Banned
She was a naive and unfortunate kid until she destroyed a village because they wouldn't give her sweets during a fast. Look at the people she's killed. Look at her eyes! Demon seems apt.

It's an atypical situation in where she's a kid who clearly doesn't know better, but at the same time she has clearly crossed the fucking line, so I'm not surprised that Elbaf elder wants to execute her. Kinda tragic.

Mother Carmel, do better with your children lol

caliph95

It's an atypical situation in where she's a kid who clearly doesn't know better, but at the same time she has clearly crossed the fucking line, so I'm not surprised that Elbaf elder wants to execute her. Kinda tragic.

Mother Carmel, do better with your children lol
Mother Caramel was a saint of a person but a shit parent

LotusHD

Banned
Mother Caramel was a saint of a person but a shit parent

It's darkly ironic in that probably only someone with her personality could nurture Linlin and give her the love she needs instead of not wanting anything to do with her, where they forgive her even in spite of her innocently harming or killing others, etc.. But at the same time you probably could not count on a such person to properly scold their children when necessary.

I wouldn't call Big Mom 'mentally ill', she was 5. She's pretty devious and cognizant as an adult.

I don't know why they have to be mutually exclusive.

turmoil

Banned
We can't call her evil for the stuff she does when she is out of her mind, the problem is that she has the power of a natural disaster instead of a child's

Also, can't wait for the appearance of hakuba in the cover story

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hakuba was my favorite thing about Dressrosa. What a curveball for that character. I loved how nobody could touch him, even the really powerful people

Hakuba.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
Hakuba was my favorite thing about Dressrosa. What a curveball for that character. I loved how nobody could touch him, even the really powerful people

Hakuba.jpg

Yea that shit came out of nowhere. I was like, who could this possibly be, then it turns it's the guy I kinda thought was a joke lol

I also liked how it indirectly reminded me how great Robin is (if they'd actually let her do more stuff) since she caught him with no trouble at all.

Top Bottom