• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Majukun

Why would Big Mom show up in person she's a Yonko. She had her crew do the work for her and when Luffy and co was captured she called up to mock them. To her Luffy's just an upstart from the worst generation who needs to learn respect but she doesn't see him as an equal.

and that's the point
she is either a sadist,so she enjoys watching people suffer and wants to be in the first row to see luffy struggle..or she is not,and she treats him as a nuisance like she did in that moment..and if he is a nuisance to her and she is not a sadist she had no motive to let him on her island instead of dealing with him in advance, putting him near the one chess piece she can't lose in her entire plan.

LotusHD

Banned
Either that or she's just emotional seeing him
Just hoping she doesn't lose it and try and attack him big mom is there after all

"Carrot, if you jump off this ship, don't you come back."

carrot_angry.png

Ray Down

Banned
No disrespect, but all of this is generic shit. She fell in love with him because he's kind and pure. So unique. Luffy's utter lack of reciprocation makes it a boring one sided love, and Hancock's position as the "most beautiful person in the world" who hasn't fallen in love, but manages to fall in love with our protagonist is just... convenient.

It's still not a very good romance, but at least it's 2-sided relationship. Certainly more nuanced than "I love you." "I love food."

Every romance in One Piece is understandable. Girls falling in love with powerful men that "saved" them in some way. Lol.

I disagree with that, Luffy rejecting her with him just not being interested is funny.

Oda doesn't care about romance, so you should expect it to be all to much. Just like how Sanji and Pudding aren't being lovey dovey towards each other then again none of OP romance is like that.

PK Gaming

I disagree with that, Luffy rejecting her with him just not being interested is funny.

Oda doesn't care about romance, so you should expect it to be all to much. Just like how Sanji and Pudding aren't being lovey dovey towards each other then again none of OP romance is like that.

It's the same joke repeated constantly. It doesn't really do anything for me past a certain point.

Seesaw15

problem is her plan failing didn't really required any strenght..even just sanji not being an idiot and talking calmly with nami and luffy instead of trying to make luffy desist by force (like that ever worked) would have allowed them to just take sanji away and flee from the island.
sure he would have abandoned the vinsmokes..but from the point of view of big mom,there's really no reason for sanji NOT TO do that

This is the last reply but I would suggest rereading the arc for stuff you forgot. Sanji couldn't have left at the point because there were bombs attached to his wrist and Zeff was being held hostage in the East Blue. Big Mom had every aspect of her plan in order and it would have worked if her kids weren't so scared of her. Luffy wasn't a factor but he has chaos/ the will of the D on his side.

Majukun

No disrespect, but all of this is generic shit. She fell in love with him because he's kind and pure. So unique. Luffy's utter lack of reciprocation makes it a boring one sided love, and Hancock's position as the "most beautiful person in the world" who hasn't fallen in love, but manages to fall in love with our protagonist is just... convenient.

probably that's the difference..i really don't care if the relationship is boring because i don't care for relationships in my shonen manga..if anything i like onepiece BECAUSE it has no relationships in it.
But even from that, loving someone because he is a good person trumps loving someone because he made a shallow compliment every day of the year..it doesn't really matter from a writing perspective if the love is one sided or not.

The point is that he still cares about her despite everything that's happened. The fact that he'd It's still be willing to call her beautiful in spite of her 3rd eye and in spite of her nasty personality meant something to her. It's still not a very good romance, but at least it's 2-sided relationship. Certainly more nuanced than "I love you." "I love food."
You do realize that her physical appearance didn't change right?
she was beautiful when she was "good" and she is still beautiful now that she is nasty..if anything sanji making that compliment shows how shallow that guy is more than anything..as in,the girl can be a total bitch,but as long as she is good looking I love her....great characterization...and for pudding is pretty much the same...I despise this lowlife scum of a man, i really don't like him despite him showing me how gentle and caring he can be..wait what? he likes my third eye? hold me my dear.

Every romance in One Piece is understandable. Girls falling in love with powerful men that "saved" them in some way. Lol.
hmm, people liking other people because of qualities of their character... how unusual.

LotusHD

Banned
She can swim right? Or maybe she can't anymore....I wonder why that would be shishishi

She can, it's just... I figured she wouldn't be able to catch up in time. And anyways, trying to have a battle with a DF user in the middle of the ocean would be boring as hell.

---

Alright, I think Perospero is currently the MVP for me on the villain's side. Katakuri is obviously pulling his weight, but I really have to give Perospero (Should I call him Peros or Spero, I need a nickname for him badly) his props. Went from this creepy yet seemingly not that strong of a dude, to this super versatile threat that's revealed to have a surprisingly high bounty. Now he's tanked a suicide bomb attack, and is already helping Big Mom again, and has now gone full Punisher mode with an arm made out of candy. Wacky looking characters being deceptively strong is not an uncommon thing in the world of One Piece, but Peropspero has gone above and beyond imo, it's just really neat when it slowly dawns on you that a character is pretty damn cool and/or threatening.

Also loved how he is partially motivated by him not wanting to be murdered by his own mother, so he lied his ass off, setting this entire chase in motion to begin with.

Pero, Candy boy(lol poor sanji), peroin, lickitung

I'll just stick with Pero then.

She can, it's just... I figured she wouldn't be able to catch up in time. And anyways, trying to have a battle with a DF user in the middle of the ocean would be boring as hell.

---

Alright, I think Perospero is currently the MVP for me on the villain's side. Katakuri is obviously pulling his weight, but I really have to give Perospero (Should I call him Peros or Spero, I need a nickname for him badly) his props. Went from this creepy yet seemingly not that strong of a dude, to this super versatile threat that's revealed to have a surprisingly high bounty. Now he's tanked a suicide bomb attack, and is already helping Big Mom again, and has now gone full Punisher mode with an arm made out of candy. Wacky looking characters being deceptively strong is not an uncommon thing in the world of One Piece, but Peropspero has gone above and beyond imo
Pero, Candy boy(lol poor sanji), peroin, lickitung

Majukun

This is the last reply but I would suggest rereading the arc for stuff you forgot. Sanji couldn't have left at the point because there were bombs attached to his wrist and Zeff was being held hostage in the East Blue. Big Mom had every aspect of her plan in order and it would have worked if her kids weren't so scared of her. Luffy wasn't a factor but he has chaos/ the will of the D on his side.

yeah you are right about that, i completely forgot about the brecelets since they ended up being a dud..still putting luffy so much near sanji when unnecessary seems like an unnecessary risk...especially considering how many unknown things could happen when you let the enemy run free in your own capital

also,take note of the fact about zeff being hostage,since depending on how this arc ends,it might open the biggest plothole in the entire arc..or pardon,it can't be a plothole..call it whatever you want.

Damn good chapter.

Big Mom pirates are fucking scary. Perospero has already made up for his lost arm and the whole fleet isn't too far away. I don't really understand why Prometheus and Zeus were left behind unless using them so much has drained their power (which in turn could be a weakness for Big Mom).

Pedro, seems to actually be dead and the crew took it pretty hard. Jinbe sort of takes the leader role Zoro and Sanji occasionally take up in moments without Luffy. This is definitely one of the moments of the Strawhats seeing what the New World is really like. Carrot is most definitely going to try and attack Perospero sometime in the future for revenge. I feel like her being a lookout for the ship maybe a slight hint of foreshadowing as well but who really knows.

Pudding is pretty great comic relief. I do wonder if they'll face any resistance from Big Mom's crew considering Sanji and Chiffon is with them.

Katakuri is like:

eNbWtDE.png

I'm pretty glad Oda is letting him kick Luffy's ass. Granted, Luffy hasn't used Gear 4 yet but I don't see that overcoming Katakuri if this is just his base level of strength.

NSESN

It was a rare instance where I wasn't feeling it because of the juxtaposition of how sad everyone was lol
Pedro died 2 chapters ago, I don't get it. If anything this chapter could have less of this and more of Luffy vs Katakuri or Pudding and Sanji finally making the cake.

LotusHD

Banned
yeah you are right about that, i completely forgot about the brecelets since they ended up being a dud..still putting luffy so much near sanji when unnecessary seems like an unnecessary risk...especially considering how many unknown things could happen when you let the enemy run free in your own capital

also,take note of the fact about zeff being hostage,since depending on how this arc ends,it might open the biggest plothole in the entire arc..or pardon,it can't be a plothole..call it whatever you want.

The sarcasm seems weird and unnecessary. No one is saying there is no such thing as a plot hole, we all just disagree with what you believe the plotholes in this arc are.

Now Zeff's situation on the other hand, that actually could present a plothole depending on how this whole thing plays out, so there you go. :p

Pedro died 2 chapters ago, I don't get it. If anything this chapter could have less of this and more of Luffy vs Katakuri or Pudding and Sanji finally making the cake.

They needed a moment to grief real quick. Anyways, it's not really anything to give much thought about, just wasn't feeling it for once.

Ogodei

I'm reading criticism for plot developments not plot holes here..

That's so dark lol and luffy can't he has a fruit he'll explode

Not if my theory that cannibalism doesn't count as eating a second fruit pans out (which explains the whole Blackbeard/Whitebeard thing).

So Luffy eats Katakuri and becomes a Gomu/Mochi man, inadvertently making a major powerup out of the arc.

caliph95

Not if my theory that cannibalism doesn't count as eating a second fruit pans out (which explains the whole Blackbeard/Whitebeard thing).

So Luffy eats Katakuri and becomes a Gomu/Mochi man, inadvertently making a major powerup out of the arc.
Big Mom ate caramel though we never see her with another devil fruit

Characters not acting the way you want is not a plot hole at least some times .
It a contrivance \poor writing .
Still the only reason things got so crazy for big mom was because her children dead scared of her and hid the truth .

If i remember right it was his famliy that had people watching Zeff not BM .

Ray Down

Banned
I doubt that too, especially with just the sheer fact Marco and even the Goro didn't seem to surprised Blackbeard could wield two.

It might have something to do with just Teach himself due to what Marco said.

and that's the point
she is either a sadist,so she enjoys watching people suffer and wants to be in the first row to see luffy struggle..or she is not,and she treats him as a nuisance like she did in that moment..and if he is a nuisance to her and she is not a sadist she had no motive to let him on her island instead of dealing with him in advance, putting him near the one chess piece she can't lose in her entire plan.
Didn't she keep him alive to help pressure Sanji?

Lunar15

I agree that not every character should be fleshed out. I'd never want that. It's just that characters aren't even getting enough time to make an impact at all. Pedro's a good example of that. He's just 1 of 5000 characters introduced in this arc.

The major "fight" in this arc looks like it's going to be between Mochiman here and Luffy. We didn't even learn about this character until the wedding which was maybe halfway through the arc? This is supposed to be Big Mom's arc, but she's more of a force of nature than an actual character. She has almost zero agency. And I'd be fine with that if there was another antagonist here that did have agency and was actually controlling the arc, but there's not. There's just cool looking strong people.

One thing I liked about One Piece is that characters stood for something. Luffy's viewpoint would clash with the viewpoints of the villains, and we'd see the result of that worldview take shape in Luffy's victory. It's a bit simplistic, but that kind of simplicity is where One Piece excelled. Over time, however, One Piece has just become bloated beyond belief. Oda's just indulging in drawing new character designs rather than focusing on characters that will move the story forward. The current arc has nothing behind it, there's no real central theme that ties it all together. Moreso than ever before, it really feels like Oda is making up completely random plot points with each chapter.

Majukun

If i remember right it was his famliy that had people watching Zeff not BM .

still she has the habit of killing people you know if you piss her off

and they ROYALLY pissed her off

if they go away from totland on these terms,there's really no reason for big mom not to send them a head every week of someone they know..she does that if you don't show up at her party...they DESTROYED her party and also foiled her plan and tried to kill her..there's enough for a thousand heads

LotusHD

Banned
I agree that not every character should be fleshed out. I'd never want that. It's just that characters aren't even getting enough time to make an impact at all. Pedro's a good example of that. He's just 1 of 5000 characters introduced in this arc.

I still really don't think it's supposed to be this super impactful death for the viewer, but rather we see how the protagonists (and Carrot) react to this, but I suppose I can't say that for sure until the arc is over at least.

The major "fight" in this arc looks like it's going to be between Mochiman here and Luffy. We didn't even learn about this character until the wedding which was maybe halfway through the arc? This is supposed to be Big Mom's arc, but she's more of a force of nature than an actual character. She has almost zero agency. And I'd be fine with that if there was another antagonist here that did have agency and was actually controlling the arc, but there's not. There's just cool looking strong people.

This is an assumption that you made. The only thing we knew for sure is that we'd meet Big Mom, and know more about her and her crew. The plan wasn't even to fight her, especially now that we know for a fact that Luffy has no chance in hell of defeating her in his current state. And even then, there's an Elbaf seed planted here, so who knows where that's going to go. The only thing really reiterated to us in terms of whose arc it's "supposed to be" was regarding the whole "Year of Sanji" stuff, which Oda has been following through with in spades.

And how do other characters not have agency exactly? Half of the reason this arc has gotten so chaotic was precisely because of their agency. Pudding with her shifting allegiance, Perospero and Opera lying to Big Mom, Katakuri taking charge in terms of how the Straw Hats and co. should be restrained, with him personally deciding how he'd deal with Luffy.

One thing I liked about One Piece is that characters stood for something. Luffy's viewpoint would clash with the viewpoints of the villains, and we'd see the result of that worldview take shape in Luffy's victory. It's a bit simplistic, but that kind of simplicity is where One Piece excelled. Over time, however, One Piece has just become bloated beyond belief. Oda's just indulging in drawing new character designs rather than focusing on characters that will move the story forward.

I mean, did you like not want Big Mom, a Yonko, to have a large crew? Out of all the forces in the OP world, you'd expect an arc where you venture into a Yonko's territory to feature a lot of new characters. And the characters he has focused on for the most part have been keeping things moving.

Are we saying we didn't learn about the big mom pirates here? Because I certainly have a grasp of the personalities and motives for a lot of them from this arc

Seesaw15

lol, ok ONE last reply :p. If my memory is correct on the whole Zeff situation Big mom was only threatening the Straw Hats in order to make Sanji marry Pudding and the Vinsmokes where threatening Zeff as extra insurance.

So since Sanji saved them/Big Mom betrayed them I don't think Sanji's dad is going to order the hit on Zeff.

Edit: Worse case BM captures Zeff and forces him to be her personal chef until the Straw Hats take down the Yonko in a later arc.

One thing I liked about One Piece is that characters stood for something. Luffy's viewpoint would clash with the viewpoints of the villains, and we'd see the result of that worldview take shape in Luffy's victory. It's a bit simplistic, but that kind of simplicity is where One Piece excelled. Over time, however, One Piece has just become bloated beyond belief. Oda's just indulging in drawing new character designs rather than focusing on characters that will move the story forward. The current arc has nothing behind it, there's no real central theme that ties it all together. Moreso than ever before, it really feels like Oda is making up completely random plot points with each chapter.

This arc central person was not BM but Sanji.
Yes we get some back story on her but it was base around Sanji .
Plus another point of the arc was for the SH to get a copy of the Poneglyphs .
Normal in a arc luffy would beat the big bad but that is not going to happen here .

It seemed pretty obvious to me that the theme of this arc was the effect that exploitative parents have on their children and how seeing your children as a means of satisfying your desires instead of what they love and want to do is one of the worst things you can do as a parent.

Like, how has this arc not been about that? From Sanji, to Pudding and Big Mom's children, Big Mom's homies and even Big Mom herself with her flashback.

LotusHD

Banned
It seemed pretty obvious to me that the theme of this arc was the effect that exploitative parents have on their children and how seeing your children as a means of satisfying your desires instead of what they love and want to do is one of the worst things you can do as a parent.

Like, how has this arc not been about that? From Sanji, to Pudding and Big Mom's children, Big Mom's homies and even Big Mom herself with her flashback.

Also this.

Well, at least Capone seems to be a good father lol

Majukun

lol, ok ONE last reply :p. If my memory is correct on the whole Zeff situation Big mom was only threatening the Straw Hats in order to make Sanji marry Pudding and the Vinsmokes where threatening Zeff as extra insurance.

So since Sanji saved them/Big Mom betrayed them I don't think Sanji's dad is going to order the hit on Zeff.

Edit: Worse case BM captures Zeff and forces him to be her personal chef until the Straw Hats take down the Yonko in a later arc.

read 3 posts over your post and you'll get my answer

I've throughly enjoyed this arc as well. Big Mom lived up to the hype for me.
Big mom and her crew surpassed my hype I went in this arc like the strawhats I unfortunately severely underestimated this crew.

Imo kaidos crew has a lot to compete with especially if they really are all zoan they'll have to be some interesting ass characters and animals

still she has the habit of killing people you know if you piss her off

and they ROYALLY pissed her off

if they go away from totland on these terms,there's really no reason for big mom not to send them a head every week of someone they know..she does that if you don't show up at his party...they DESTROYED her party and also foiled her plan and tried to kill her..there's enough for a thousand heads

True but with sanji helping making the cake i can see that part being taken care of rather easy .

Still the chance Pudding can erase some memories too. Everyone might be on board because Perospero won't want her to figure out he lied and Dogtooth will be in Luffy's belly.

Daingurse

I don't get why people are feeling like this. She had one page in the last 3 chapters.

She was still highly annoying during her brief appearances. I don't like the tsundere trope at all, so Pudding has been rubbing me the wrong way for a minute now.

Big mom and her crew surpassed my hype I went in this arc like the strawhats I unfortunately severely underestimated this crew.

Imo kaidos crew has a lot to compete with especially if they really are all zoan they'll have to be some interesting ass characters and animals

Yep i love BM .
We see just how powerful the yonko who rule the seas are.
I mean we get a idea with WB but it always good to see again .

Ogodei

This arc has solid themes fitting back in with other arcs. This arc's theme is family: the one you're born with versus the one you choose (friend groups or spouses). Big Mom's twisted idea of family is the next ideology to try and break the Straw Hats.

Pretty much every villain has a theme of some sort.

Buggy -> What it means to be a pirate (his violent bullying vs Luffy's adventure-seeking)
Kuro -> Dishonesty, for his betrayal of Kaya but also his betrayal of himself (because he wanted to abandon his crew and abandon the pirate life).
Krieg -> Loyalty (how he abused his underlings as throwaway minions).
Arlong -> Racism/Cycle of Revenge (abused by the humans in youth to grow up to abuse humans).
Wapol -> Loyalty again (this time more in a filial piety sense, a king's loyalty to his own countrymen, or Wapol's lack thereof).
Crocodile -> Realism (the man who had his dreams crushed in the Grand Line and turned into a scheming power-monger).
Enel -> Megalomania (god complex, duh).
Foxy -> The meaning of nakamaship (how he steals crew members from other crews instead of making an honest effort to win their loyalty).
Spandam/Rob Lucci -> Authoritarianism.
Gekko Moria -> Fear of Loss (man who had his crew killed turns to zombies out of his fear of losing another crew).
Hody Jones -> Fascism, as unlike Arlong he had never really experienced human racism, just poverty, but his impoverished upbringing planted a hatred for Fishman society that he based in anti-human racism. Thematically one of the most powerful and on-point, despite Fishman Island's narrative weaknesses.
Doflamingo -> Nihilism. He hated everything and wanted to watch the world burn.

And now we deal with family.

Top Bottom