• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Fillers aren't too bad in this show, though. What gets bad is needlessly extended scenes and poor pacing since there aren't a ton of actual filler episodes.

I've never been able to rewatch the Davy Back Fight filler arc. But even then, I would take another similar filler arc this year if it meant the pacing of the episodes following it got better.

Jaroof

726 was amazing. I had to keep going back to watch the fight/transformation scene.
Luffy's a monster now. I had my doubts about him going up against the more powerful characters in the show, since he couldn't even face Doflamingo. Man, was I wrong. I'm sure Doflamingo has something else up his sleeve, but Luffy is a beast.

I'm sad that Pirate Warriors is no longer going to be continued, though. Bounce-Man would have been amazing to play as.

Edit:
Just noticed Luffy's pose on the title for the new OP game coming out, Burning Blood.
latest

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really need to catch up on this, those gifs are insane. Last ep I saw was the Corazon flashback, which was really well paced for a change. How has he pacing been since then?

Squishy3

726 was amazing. I had to keep going back to watch the fight/transformation scene.
Luffy's a monster now. I had my doubts about him going up against the more powerful characters in the show, since he couldn't even face Doflamingo. Man, was I wrong. I'm sure Doflamingo has something else up his sleeve, but Luffy is a beast.

I'm sad that Pirate Warriors is no longer going to be continued, though. Bounce-Man would have been amazing to play as.

Edit:
Just noticed Luffy's pose on the title for the new OP game coming out, Burning Blood.
latest
There's already gameplay footage of it https://youtu.be/Z-0cA0einsM?t=267

ps this game is probably going to be a mess

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've never been able to rewatch the Davy Back Fight filler arc. But even then, I would take another similar filler arc this year if it meant the pacing of the episodes following it got better.

Davy Back isn't filler, actually.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kinda crazy when you think about 4th gear and the previous arcs.

Like, Luffy was never going to lose to Caesar and Hody.

Well, that's the thing about trying to base fights in One Piece on power levels. Luffy would've lost to Hody with or without Gear 4 if they fought underwater. Devil fruit and all that. And Gear 4 wouldn't help when Ceasar removed the air from the room. In fact, it would neutralize gears 3 and 4 entirely if he hadn't already activated them while far away (which I'm realizing right now is probably why he ran away from Ceasar before attempting the Grizzly Magnum).

Squalor

Please, let's not give Hody any credit whatsoever. He was a garbage villain and didn't deserve to be on the same battlefield as Luffy.

How many pills did he need just to still get wrecked while in his own underwater environment?

Caesar had a limit to how far he could affect the air in the given space. Luffy could have Pythoned him from really far away.

HeelPower

Luffy's a monster now.

He is and I love it.

He's actually finally measuring up to the top people in the world of OP.
He has to become a monster since pretty much everyone he's gonna come up against will be a monster.

Well, that's the thing about trying to base fights in One Piece on power levels. Luffy would've lost to Hody with or without Gear 4 if they fought underwater. Devil fruit and all that. And Gear 4 wouldn't help when Ceasar removed the air from the room. In fact, it would neutralize gears 3 and 4 entirely if he hadn't already activated them while far away (which I'm realizing right now is probably why he ran away from Ceasar before attempting the Grizzly Magnum).

Interesting point.Its funny how Caesar can counter luffy most powerful abilities despite being a terrible fighter.

This is why one piece is so interesting when it comes to the fighting.

Damn the first page of this thread is from 8 years ago. Crazy reading those posts. I was only at Thriller Bark back then...

I've only just gotten really into One Piece recently. Have watched the majority of the Thriller Bark and Summit War arcs in the last month and working on Fishman Island right now (which is currently my least favorite of the 3 so far).

1upsuper

There's a site that shows you which episodes you can skip. There aren't as many as Naruto, but there are enough.

Fillers aren't too bad in this show, though. What gets bad is needlessly extended scenes and poor pacing since there aren't a ton of actual filler episodes.

Definitely watch the anime.

Iconic voice performances and amazing music and the fact it is very faithful to the manga(and thus the artist's original vision) make it impossible to not recommend.

Awesome, thanks. I'll be starting shortly.

Davy Back isn't filler, actually.
Part of it is actually.

The roller skate race, dodgeball, and red light/green light race were filler.
Huh, I wouldn't have figured part of it wasn't filler. The way the whole arc begins is just so awkward and slow that I figured the whole thing had to be non-canon. Though, I would probably rewatch the arc if it didn't end up being three different fights (which, I guess the manga only has one without those extra events). It made the whole thing feel even more drawn out and awkward than it already did.

It is filler. It added nothing. It was hardly funny.
I did like the actual fight at the end. Afro Luffy was actually really great and got me to laugh. But yeah, most of the Foxy Crew's antics in the arc just felt annoying rather than comedic.

Yes, but Codealicious said the arc itself was filler. :p
ಠ_ಠ

At this point the pacing completely goes to hell. I actually stopped watching during Impel Down though I kinda want to watch through again at some point.

Buggy brings down Impel Down and the rest of the Summit War arc for me. He's ok at the beginning but then just becomes stupid and obnoxious the rest of the arc. Didn't care for Impel Down in general so I'm not sure if I'll ever rewatch it again. Really liked the arc outside of him and Impel Down though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Huh, I wouldn't have figured part of it wasn't filler. The way the whole arc begins is just so awkward and slow that I figured the whole thing had to be non-canon. Though, I would probably rewatch the arc if it didn't end up being three different fights (which, I guess the manga only has one without those extra events). It made the whole thing feel even more drawn out and awkward than it already did.

I did like the actual fight at the end. Afro Luffy was actually really great and got me to laugh. But yeah, most of the Foxy Crew's antics in the arc just felt annoying rather than comedic.

ಠ_ಠ

(。◕ ∀ ◕。)

Firestorm

Oda's planning is insane. The events of the Paramount War arc start moving into place like 8 years and 3 full arcs earlier in Drum Island @_@ Not to mention the cover stories... Jeez.

I want to see if he ever uses Enel again.

Ahnez

Oda's planning is insane. The events of the Paramount War arc start moving into place like 8 years and 3 full arcs earlier in Drum Island @_@ Not to mention the cover stories... Jeez.

I want to see if he ever uses Enel again.

Yeah, Oda's planning is respectable

Other authors should take a note..

About Enel, Didn't he.. like.. Decided to go to the moon or something? lol

Zolo

Yeah, Oda's planning is respectable

Other authors should take a note..

About Enel, Didn't he.. like.. Decided to go to the moon or something? lol

Yep. With the moon aliens and space ruins that have some relation with the line of D. or the lost century you can be sure will be brought up again.

Firestorm

Yeah I was wondering about Enel because so many of the earlier cover story arcs became important later (Ace's hunt for Blackbeard, Baroque Works aftermath, Hachi's journey) and so I can't see any cover story without thinking about what Oda's planning...

I'm basically done with the Fishman Island arc (2 episodes left) but my internet's being a pain and I'll watch them after I wake up, so I'll give my thoughts on it now. I have no idea what other peoples thoughts are on it, but for me, so much of this arc was stupid. Luffy and Chopper mistaking the dumbasses at the beginning of the arc as crewmates. Sanji nearly dying from seeing women. Decken asks a 6 year old to marry him. There's 9 straight episodes that are almost all backstory. The King giving all his sweets to Luffy when Big Mam's crew are about to pick them up and the only reason they haven't been invaded yet. Luffy still picking fights against people he doesn't stand a chance again. There's a dude with a 200 million bounty unconscious in the streets that kidnapped 3 mermaids, a ton of treasure and tried to kidnap the princess and everyone is just leaving him there. Chopper says he can only be in berserk form or w/e it's called for 3 minutes but he stays in it for 3 episodes. And more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

Ok I'm done ranting, a few questions on things I might have skipped over:

Akouiji quit the navy after he lost to Akainu, but I didn't notice where they said he went.
Garp retired, but do we know where he went yet? (I don't mind spoilers btw.)
What did Robin learn from Dragon during the time skip (I noticed there's a movie after this arc that might explain it)?

Aokiji quit the navy after he lost to Akainu, but I didn't notice where they said he went.

Garp retired, but do we know where he went yet? (I don't mind spoilers btw.)

What did Robin learn from Dragon during the time skip (I noticed there's a movie after this arc that might explain it)?

1.-
He is working with Blackbeard at the moment

2.-
If i'm not mistaken, he's not been mentioned in a lot of time (save for one recent flashback).

3.-
We still don't know, but she met 2 important revolutionaries.

Ahnez

Yep. With the moon aliens and space ruins that have some relation with the line of D. or the lost century you can be sure will be brought up again.

There are so many things happening at the same time its hard to keep track lol

Yeah I was wondering about Enel because so many of the earlier cover story arcs became important later (Ace's hunt for Blackbeard, Baroque Works aftermath, Hachi's journey) and so I can't see any cover story without thinking about what Oda's planning...

I also wanted to know what happened to the CP9 members

Just watched the latest episode due to the internet hype, it was crazy.

Dropped one piece around the conclusion of the punk hazard ark - largely due to watching HxH 2011 and being unable to bring myself to return.

But the latest episode really has my hyped and I miss the characters of one piece and the spectacular premise of it's story.

May have to try and find time to marathon the dressrosa ark upon it's completion - best way to watch one piece in it's current state imho.

Squalor

Whatever is under that first black bar is definitely a manga spoiler.

In the anime's timeline, the answer is "We don't know." There would be no reason to tag that.

However, some manga reader decided to bring spoilers into here.

Sorry I had no idea that might happen when I asked.

Anyways, I just watched the 15th anniversary special. Why do they rarely kill anyone in this series? Of what I've watched so far, outside of Ace and Whitebeard, either everyone else has lived or they won't say flat out they're dead. Also two questions. What was the betrayal World was talking about with his brother at the end? Also, who was the blonde guy at Ace's and Whitebeard's grave? It didn't look like Marco.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Whatever is under that first black bar is definitely a manga spoiler.

In the anime's timeline, the answer is "We don't know." There would be no reason to tag that.

However, some manga reader decided to bring spoilers into here.

The first black bar references anime episode 650.

Squalor

The first black bar references anime episode 650.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't since we don't know what Kuzan has been up to since his defeat.

He went rogue. The anime has not disclosed what he has been up to other than his appearance on Punk Hazard when he saved Smoker from Doflamingo.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't since we don't know what Kuzan has been up to since his defeat.

He went rogue. The anime has not disclosed what he has been up to other than his appearance on Punk Hazard when he saved Smoker from Doflamingo.

I thought it was a manga spoiler too, but I just went and checked through Ep. 650 and
Burgess and Blackbeard have a few lines that heavily imply they're working with Aokiji
. It happens just around the mid-episode bumper.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

You are mistaken. Codeacious has got it.

Top Bottom