• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

Sorry I had no idea that might happen when I asked.

Anyways, I just watched the 15th anniversary special. Why do they rarely kill anyone in this series? Of what I've watched so far, outside of Ace and Whitebeard, either everyone else has lived or they won't say flat out they're dead. Also two questions. What was the betrayal World was talking about with his brother at the end? Also, who was the blonde guy at Ace's and Whitebeard's grave? It didn't look like Marco.
Nobody dies in One Piece.

Except in flashbacks. Everyone dies in One Piece flashbacks.

:(

Dugna

Ep 727 is up, it's decent but legitmately I'm starting to not care about the dressrosa citizens....those panels in the manga went by fast while reading but they're kinda unbearable in the anime so far.

Yeah tonight's episode was a whole lot of nothing. Still not caught up yet (on Punk Hazard arc atm) but is
awakened devil fruit powers
going to start becoming a thing now?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah tonight's episode was a whole lot of nothing. Still not caught up yet (on Punk Hazard arc atm) but is
awakened devil fruit powers
going to start becoming a thing now?

*shrugs* Doffy is the only person to have showcased that ability so far.
Though people suspect that Kuzan and Sakazuki have it considering how they left Punk Hazard after their 10 day duel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Impel Down guards. It was just kind of glossed over there.

*shrugs* Doffy is the only person to have showcased that ability so far.
Though people suspect that Kuzan and Sakazuki have it considering how they left Punk Hazard after their 10 day duel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Impel Down guards. It was just kind of glossed over there.

Thanks.

Also :(

Moaradin

I hope there's still time to see some well animated action in Gear 4. While last episode looked pretty good in general, there was hardly any fighting going on. The best looking sequence was the transformation.

I didn't really see how the Birdcage could be prolonged to Namek levels at first, but now that I know Zoro's going to hold it off for a while (and Burgess is going to probably fight Sabo), I can see how this could go on for another 15-20 episodes.
More like they used up all their decent pacing.
Eh, the first half of the episode wasn't too bad. It just got really awful after the bumper.

Magwik

Banned
I didn't really see how the Birdcage could be prolonged to Namek levels at first, but now that I know Zoro's going to hold it off for a while (and Burgess is going to probably fight Sabo), I can see how this could go on for another 15-20 episodes.

Eh, the first half of the episode wasn't too bad. It just got really awful after the bumper.
Small spoilers:
iirc Zoro and the others barely hold off the birdcage at all, and Sabo absolutely destroys Burgess in a matter of minutes. So their fight is much more likely to be drawn out

Mikey Jr.

I want to rewatch One Piece from the beginning again. I think it would be fun knowing who all the major players are, and picking up on things I might have missed.

Buuuut, I'd only do it with a "Kai" version of One Piece. I wonder if something like that will ever happen. Just strip EVERYTHING out. Filler, "flashbacks", and just general padding. Episode only turns out to be 5 minutes long? So be it.

Zolo

Sometimes filler even adds in confusing things like that one reasonable marine guy after the Skypiea arc being Akainu's protege.

BatDan

Sometimes filler even adds in confusing things like that one reasonable marine guy after the Skypiea arc being Akainu's protege.

Yeah, as enjoyable as G8 is, that aspect is just bizarre.

There's also Zoro's claim that there's "nothing he can't cut" in the Apis arc (despite that being an important plot point in Alabasta) or Chopper eating a second Rumble Ball shortly after the first in the Davy Back Fight filler.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I want to rewatch One Piece from the beginning again. I think it would be fun knowing who all the major players are, and picking up on things I might have missed.

Buuuut, I'd only do it with a "Kai" version of One Piece. I wonder if something like that will ever happen. Just strip EVERYTHING out. Filler, "flashbacks", and just general padding. Episode only turns out to be 5 minutes long? So be it.

You are straight-up describing the manga. Check it out, it'd be a great way to re-experience the "true" story from the start.

Firestorm

I'm doing it with the manga right now and it's great. I highly recommend especially with the colour version out which adds a lot IMO. There are some scenes that the anime did better and some scenes that the manga did better. I liked the anime' version of Zoro vs Kuma at the end of Thriller Bark more for example but the Sabody Straw Hats vs Kuma felt better in the manga.

Highly recommend it. Oda does crazy foreshadowing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm doing it with the manga right now and it's great. I highly recommend especially with the colour version out which adds a lot IMO. There are some scenes that the anime did better and some scenes that the manga did better. I liked the anime' version of Zoro vs Kuma at the end of Thriller Bark more for example but the Sabody Straw Hats vs Kuma felt better in the manga.

Highly recommend it. Oda does crazy foreshadowing.
The color manga is so good. You're right in that some scenes are better in the manga vs. the anime and vice versa. It's nice to go back and read it again after so long and get a new perspective on things. The low key atmosphere of East Blue is so unique compared to the rest of the series.

Personally I feel as if Skypiea is the best anime adaptation of a manga arc; the music used was always on point, there was very little filler and the pacing was good.

I've done this (twice, actually), and I just ended up skipping past filler/episodes I didn't like (e.g. the entire Davy Back Fight, like I already mentioned on the previous page of the thread), and if an episode is a bit slow/poorly paced/showing a flashback I remember I just skip past those chunks. It does end up sort of making it a "Kai" version since a lot of later episodes end up becoming 7-10 minutes long with all the chunks I skip. Not all the filler's bad though- I actually really liked the extra Alabasta episodes (it really made it feel like the crew was crossing a long, harsh, unforgiving desert) and the Rainbow Mist mini-arc.

Oxn

I've done this (twice, actually), and I just ended up skipping past filler/episodes I didn't like (e.g. the entire Davy Back Fight, like I already mentioned on the previous page of the thread), and if an episode is a bit slow/poorly paced/showing a flashback I remember I just skip past those chunks. It does end up sort of making it a "Kai" version since a lot of later episodes end up becoming 7-10 minutes long with all the chunks I skip. Not all the filler's bad though- I actually really liked the extra Alabasta episodes (it really made it feel like the crew was crossing a long, harsh, unforgiving desert) and the Rainbow Mist mini-arc.

I just finished doing this myself. Skipped all the filler episodes and Im up to the timeskip now.

Firestorm

There is a Kai-like project called One Pace that I think is trying to make cut/combined versions of the anime. Lots of gaps though. It recommends watching the original anime up to Thriller Bark and then they're working on stuff after that. Will be interesting once it's completed / caught up completely.

There is a Kai-like project called One Pace that I think is trying to make cut/combined versions of the anime. Lots of gaps though. It recommends watching the original anime up to Thriller Bark and then they're working on stuff after that. Will be interesting once it's completed / caught up completely.

Hopefully they edit Buggy entirely out of Summit War.

Squishy3

They did a really good job with Doffy's awakening in the anime. In the manga it just kinda looks like white blobs instead of a bunch of strings making solid objects. Showing Doffy walking/touching things and them turning to string and back is a nice touch.

BatDan

Why did Tashigi's boobs become massive when Law switched her and Smokers hearts?

Post-timeskip women got breast expansions all around.
Smoker hates shirts, so he unbuttoned Tashigi's blouse while he was using her body. Much to Tashigi's embarrassment. Of course being a Shonen manga for kids, Oda couldn't go all the way.

The fight was probably not very even. How should Aokiji use his ice power to actually hurt Akainu? Even if he managed to freeze him the guy can just heat himself up to melt the ice. That and I doubt his attacks would do much against a magma shield or something while the other way around it would be quite effective. It's a bit like the Luffy vs Enel situation.
Sure, they both must have been using Haki but even then you see the devastating damage on Aokiji vs seemingly nothing on Akainu.

Dugna

The fight was probably not very even. How should Aokiji use his ice power to actually hurt Akainu? Even if he managed to freeze him the guy can just heat himself up to melt the ice. That and I doubt his attacks would do much against a magma shield or something while the other way around it would be quite effective. It's a bit like the Luffy vs Enel situation.
Sure, they both must have been using Haki but even then you see the devastating damage on Aokiji vs seemingly nothing on Akainu.

Though we have seen Aokiji in civilian clothes, but Akainu not in normal civilian clothes. So we could see more damage on Aokiji.

Oxn

Yea we saw how Ace vs Aokiji fight was at a stand still why Ace got beat up by Akainu

Finally finished the Punk Hazard arc. I was pissed at seeing an episode called "Aokiji vs Doflamingo" and how it actually went. This arc in general lacked decent fights outside of 2 with Smoker. The filler at the end was stupid (why does a fucking otter know Haki?) but whatever. Losing a bit of interest but I'll finish catching up eventually.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally finished the Punk Hazard arc. I was pissed at seeing an episode called "Aokiji vs Doflamingo" and how it actually went. This arc in general lacked decent fights outside of 2 with Smoker. The filler at the end was stupid (why does a fucking otter know Haki?) but whatever. Losing a bit of interest but I'll finish catching up eventually.
Punk Hazard is the new world equivalent of the random islands they went to during Arabasta. The real story starts now.

Moaradin

onepieceslide13spr3.gif

This shit cracks me up. How the characters just slide into frame. One Piece does it all the time but this one got me.

Firestorm

Punk Hazard to the next arc is like Jaya to Skypeia.

KtSlime

I liked the end of Punk Hazard. Aokiji vs Doflamingo standoff was great and suspenseful. He knows he's got nothing on Aokiji. It's great how Aokiji says that Smoker was his friend, like he's never said the word before.

Kaizer

Banned
One Piece Episode 728 - Luffy! An All-Out Leo Bazooka!

Really good episode this week, outside of the usual opening & recap padding. Loved seeing Luffy destroy Doffy, I should've known the fight wasn't over just yet. That one move Luffy did where he cranks his head back was hilarious lol

I haven't read in the manga yet, so I'm hoping we get to see Sabo fight Doflamingo next week while Luffy recharges. On that subject too, having to wait 10 minutes for his Haki to recharge doesn't seem like that bad of a side effect. Turning chibi from Gear Third seems worse to me.

One Piece Episode 728 - Luffy! An All-Out Leo Bazooka!

Really good episode this week, outside of the usual opening & recap padding. Loved seeing Luffy destroy Doffy, I should've known the fight wasn't over just yet. That one move Luffy did where he cranks his head back was hilarious lol

I haven't read in the manga yet, so I'm hoping we get to see Sabo fight Doflamingo next week while Luffy recharges. On that subject too, having to wait 10 minutes for his Haki to recharge doesn't seem like that bad of a side effect. Turning chibi from Gear Third seems worse to me.
Considering he can also barely move on his own during that 10 minutes, I'd say gear 4's drawback is way worse.

Cwarrior

Seriously doffy is a tank, even with gear 4 luffy would still get his ass kicked by doffy if it wasn't for interference(law weaking doffy and
everyone coming to luffy aid to hold of doffy from killing him off

Doffy won

BatDan

Dressrosa will never end. This arc already took 100 episodes, and it's not over yet.

I hope this is over by Easter Holidays.

We're in endgame. The arc ended in the manga.
However, the anime is about to enter a Namek-esque moment...

Top Bottom