• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

What asspull? The healing dandelions? It was already established that Mansherry had an ability that can heal and reenergize people, so I don't see how it's an asspull

I've skipped most of this arc so I had no idea. More annoyed at how it's going to be probably 2 more episodes until they actually heal Luffy.

I've skipped most of this arc so I had no idea.

confused010.gif

I wouldn't advise it. The arc is going to be longer in the anime (102 chapters in the manga, and this is the 101st episode and it's still not over).
Dressrosa is actually my favorite arc but if its as bad as you say I'll probably just pick my favorite episodes out and watcg than.

Moaradin

eh. Dressrosa in the anime is good. It's long yeah but so is the manga version. They did justice to most of the big moments. All the flashbacks were great.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I really hope they figure out a way to have full filler episodes after Dressrosa. Or just have the anime take a break.

A few days or weeks pass after Dressrosa in the manga that could easily contain a wide variety of travel filler arcs, kinda hope they do some. Or a lot. Space this shit waaay out.

Dugna

f7104617950244ef595193c4c0e009fa.png

Not sure if its just Crunchyroll not being able to sum up a long arc while its still going, or just how long this arc is in general but even Marineford is one tab.

Cwarrior

ZCIbo1a.jpg

swag piece

Looks like where going to get promo art drawn by oda for the new Film Gold movie soon (movie comes in 5 months in japan).

staff so far we know of are

Executive Producer: Eiichiro Oda

Film Director: Hiroaki Miyamoto
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=44679
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/02/15/interview-with-one-piece-series-director-hiroaki-miyamoto/

Scenario writer: Tsutomu Kuroiwa
http://asianwiki.com/Tsutomu_Kuroiwa

I like the fact they been working on the script for over 2 years, in most anime movies the script is an after though.

Eiichiro Oda:

"So, I’ve accepted the role of “executive producer” again. Time to make a movie!! The film director is Mr. Miyamoto, a trustworthy man who has been integral to the [One Piece] anime for six years. The script, written by the clever Mr. Kuroiwa, does not disappoint! The animation is done by this guy, and the music by that guy… wait, how am I supposed to advertise this thing without revealing anything!? We still have a lot of work to do, so development will likely continue behind the scenes until it hits theaters. We’re aiming for the summer of 2016! We’ll present to you a cool and gorgeous One Piece like you’ve never seen before! Please hold on tight to your seats as you wait for it in excitement and anticipation!"

Tsutomu Kuroiwa:

"My goal was to make a profoundly entertaining movie that would knock the socks off people from all over the world. I’ve spent over two years to refine my script, adding everything from excitement and humor to emotional moments. The days I’ve spent discussing the movie with Oda and Miyamoto were some of my best. At times, we worked on the movie during takoyaki parties and barbecues, and it was as if I’d hopped onto a ship and ventured on a great voyage. I am certain that this will become an amazing and unforgettable movie for many people. Please look forward to it!"

Hiroaki Miyamoto:

"As the movie title GOLD suggests, we’ll be bringing to you a super dazzling and insanely fun movie, and we’ve assembled the best staff to do just that! The numerous meetings I had with Kuroiwa and Oda were tough, but thanks to those we’ll be able to show you the Straw Hat crew at their coolest yet. Please wait for a while longer until next summer. Our goal is to make “the ultimate entertainment movie”! Please look forward to it."

Magwik

Banned
Looks like where going to get promo art from the new Film Gold soon (movie comes in 5 months in japan).

staff so far we know of are

Executive Producer: Eiichiro Oda

Film Director: Hiroaki Miyamoto
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=44679
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/02/15/interview-with-one-piece-series-director-hiroaki-miyamoto/

Scenario writer: Tsutomu Kuroiwa
http://asianwiki.com/Tsutomu_Kuroiwa

I like the fact they been working on the script for over 2 years, in most anime movies the script is an after though.

Eiichiro Oda:

"So, I’ve accepted the role of “executive producer” again. Time to make a movie!! The film director is Mr. Miyamoto, a trustworthy man who has been integral to the [One Piece] anime for six years. The script, written by the clever Mr. Kuroiwa, does not disappoint! The animation is done by this guy, and the music by that guy… wait, how am I supposed to advertise this thing without revealing anything!? We still have a lot of work to do, so development will likely continue behind the scenes until it hits theaters. We’re aiming for the summer of 2016! We’ll present to you a cool and gorgeous One Piece like you’ve never seen before! Please hold on tight to your seats as you wait for it in excitement and anticipation!"

Tsutomu Kuroiwa:

"My goal was to make a profoundly entertaining movie that would knock the socks off people from all over the world. I’ve spent over two years to refine my script, adding everything from excitement and humor to emotional moments. The days I’ve spent discussing the movie with Oda and Miyamoto were some of my best. At times, we worked on the movie during takoyaki parties and barbecues, and it was as if I’d hopped onto a ship and ventured on a great voyage. I am certain that this will become an amazing and unforgettable movie for many people. Please look forward to it!"

Hiroaki Miyamoto:

"As the movie title GOLD suggests, we’ll be bringing to you a super dazzling and insanely fun movie, and we’ve assembled the best staff to do just that! The numerous meetings I had with Kuroiwa and Oda were tough, but thanks to those we’ll be able to show you the Straw Hat crew at their coolest yet. Please wait for a while longer until next summer. Our goal is to make “the ultimate entertainment movie”! Please look forward to it."
God damn this movie is going to be amazing, isn't it?

marmoka

Banned
At least more things happened in this episode than last week's one, with too many flashbacks about things nobody forgot.

I don't remember much about the manga, but the fight should be over in 3 episodes the most. But we all know how Toei is.

Just started the Dressrosa arc from the beginning. Is this a bit like DBZ where Episode of Sabo came first and then they built the arc around it? Also great introduction to the new Navy Admiral.

Just got up to where Sabo first appeared in Dressrosa. Saw someone say fuck for the first time I can remember awhile ago. Their reasoning for why Doflamingo can fly is lame as hell. Just that he could moon walk or jump from strings he put under his feet would have been cool but he needs clouds to do it?

Jaroof

Did she? I don't remember seeing it. I was thinking that was a new one.
Edit: Just went back and skimmed through 641. It was an old move! Man, so much has happened. Can't believe that was almost 100 eps ago!

Oh, and I knew how the end of 731 was going to go as soon as I saw Viola and Rebecca.

So that's how they went 25 episodes between Luffy fighting Doflamingo and him going into Fourth Gear; with lots and lots of backstory. Just finished episode 706. Should be getting near the end of it.

I still think it's a stupid plot device that no one can harm that bird cage. In particular, Zoro. Even Kyros cut clean through a whole bundle of strings, the clone, and IIRC the cage is made from that... Luffy does not seem to have a problem with destroying Doffy's strings either.
Not even an admiral with gravity powers can push against it...

Then again, at it's full size the strings would have been so much further spaced out compared to now, that you should have been able to just walk past the cage :p

Jaroof

I still think it's a stupid plot device that no one can harm that bird cage. In particular, Zorro. Even Kyros cut clean through a whole bundle of strings, the clone, and IIRC the cage is made from that... Luffy does not seem to have a problem with destroying Doffy's strings either.

I thought the same thing. He's able to have the full strength bird cage going, fight against ridiculously strong people with not much of a problem, control multiple people, and repair his insides. Dude's so OP.

I would have thought that the admiral and Zoro would have no problem whatsoever holding/cutting the birdcage, but apparently not. I never would have thought both of them combined would have trouble with it! Turns out it takes those powerhouses, plus the entire population to hold back Doflamingo's power, somehow.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Don't forget that Doflamingo also sustained heavy damage from Law's Gamma Knife attack. His healing abilities aren't quite regenerative, but more emergency first aid.

He's a beast

marmoka

Banned
Hierro Lagrima!
Tearwhales!

What's up with the tear-based powers from the last few eps?

Actually, "Hierro Lagrima" means "Iron tear" in Spanish, using bad grammar, the correct way to express it would be "Lagrima de Hierro".

I know this is irrelevant, but it's funny how Oda uses many names for attacks and different stuff in other languages, and those names have many times grammatical or orthographical mistakes. He even mixes languages, like Robin's "Veinte fleur" (20 flowers), where we can find Spanish and French words in the same name. I can't speak French, but if I'm not wrong, that "fleur" is written in singular instead of plural.

Funny or not, I like Oda's references to different worldwide languages.

Actually, "Hierro Lagrima" means "Iron tear" in Spanish, using bad grammar, the correct way to express it would be "Lagrima de Hierro".

I know this is irrelevant, but it's funny how Oda uses many names for attacks and different stuff in other languages, and those names have many times grammatical or orthographical mistakes. He even mixes languages, like Robin's "Veinte fleur" (20 flowers), where we can find Spanish and French words in the same name. I can't speak French, but if I'm not wrong, that "fleur" is written in singular instead of plural.

Funny or not, I like Oda's references to different worldwide languages.
I've basically concluded that Oda picks attack names based on how exotic they sound to him. Loosely related to the attack, but phonetically cool sounding. Ursus Shock! Diable Jambe! Roseo Colonnade!

I still think it's a stupid plot device that no one can harm that bird cage. In particular, Zoro. Even Kyros cut clean through a whole bundle of strings, the clone, and IIRC the cage is made from that... Luffy does not seem to have a problem with destroying Doffy's strings either.

Then again, at it's full size the strings would have been so much further spaced out compared to now, that you should have been able to just walk past the cage :p

I feel like the bird cage is an ability he has to build up over a long time. Store a little power for it each day, and once he uses it it'll be a while before he can use it again

Finally caught up on Dressrosa. Only real question I have is what happened to Koala? She was (I think) inside the castle and called for Sabo but hasn't been seen again. Still want to know how Sanji, Chopper, Brook and Nami are doing against Big Mama but I doubt that's coming until the very end of this arc.

Finally caught up on Dressrosa. Only real question I have is what happened to Koala? She was (I think) inside the castle and called for Sabo but hasn't been seen again. Still want to know how Sanji, Chopper, Brook and Nami are doing against Big Mama but I doubt that's coming until the very end of this arc.
Yea she kind of just disappears for the most part afterwards I think you see her again one more time go. Sanji and co.. Should be up fairly soon tho. How you liking the arc so far

Yea she kind of just disappears for the most part afterwards I think you see her again one more time go. Sanji and co.. Should be up fairly soon tho. How you liking the arc so far

It started REALLY slow. Having watched Episode of Sabo before it I didn't have a lot of interest in anything it covered. Everything with Fujitora early though was cool. Just became an Admiral and already wants to change the complete structure of the world. Everything after the tournament I mostly enjoyed except for King Riku's family backstories which I mostly skipped over.

Once all of the executives came out it started to get interesting. Hated Senor Pink at first but started to like him after awhile and getting backstory on him was nice. Pica's voice is hilarious and Zorro was pretty much just trolling him the whole time because he knew nothing he did could hurt him. None of the other executives stood out that much and I can't even remember what happened to the helicopter guy. All the random fighters taking out executives was decent but outside of the large guy with the pointy head (I'm terrible with names), none of them are really given any backstories to care about them.

Doflamingo's, Corazon's and Law's backstories were for the most part interesting. They keep trying to balance Doflamingo being a complete psychopath and really caring about his family and just comes off as weird. How did the World Government allow him to become a Warlord after all of the shit he's done? Did he hold his blackmail over the Celestial Dragons and convince them to?

Corazon's doesn't make a ton of sense to me. How long was he gone when he became a double agent? He just wanders off, finds and joins the navy, eats a devil fruit and convinces Doflamingo he can't talk now because of a random injury? Law is about as big of a psychopath as Doflamingo at first but eventually mellows out. I'm a little confused at how he ended up where he was during Punk Hazard. Doflamingo offered him a seat as a top executive so he didn't see him as a serious threat and he wasn't as determined to make him immortal as he was before. Law always held a grudge but Doflamingo wasn't exactly determined to stop him from doing anything.

Overall everything Episode of Sabo covered except for everything with Fujitora I didn't really care for but everything after that I've mainly enjoyed.

Top Bottom