• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gomu Gomu said:
okay, this is F-ing ridicules :lol . Thanks for ruining this character for me :lol .

The manga, as Himuro has shown, has gotten bad itself and of course the anime takes every chance it can to up the fanservice. But there is this one animator lead who "goes beyond the call" (ughh) in terms of fanservice. You can easily tell when he's leading an episode as all the characters (and I mean ALL the characters) have huge breasts and occasionally bounce for no reason at all.

I miss the old Nami with attitude, but ever since Water 7 she's transformed into fanservice and nothing else. :/

BobLoblaw

Banned
Himuro said:
Shut up!

Nami's my favorite character next to Luffy! She's not fanservice and I refuse to accept this!
Word: denial
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: dismissal, refusal of belief in
Synonyms: abstaining, adjuration, brush-off, cold shoulder*, contradiction, controversion, declination, disallowance, disapproval, disavowal, disclaimer, dismissing, disproof, dissent, forswearing, gainsaying, nay, negation, negative, nix*, no way, nonacceptance, noncommittal, prohibition, protestation, rebuff, rebuttal, refraining, refusing, refutal, refutation, rejecting, rejection, renegement, renouncement, renunciation, repudiating, repudiation, repulse, retraction, statement abnegation, turndown, veto

It's true man. She used to be a favorite of mine, but no longer.

jvalioli

BobLoblaw said:
I wouldn't be surprised if one of them dies at some point in the next year or so.
I would. Not a lot of people die in One Piece.
Himuro said:
I don't know how long they've been out to sea. It's something I've wanted to know, however.

When you consider that on some of the more major arcs like Skypiea they were only there for 3 days tops, I really wonder how long it's been since Luffy "sailed" from his village.
It has probably been a while. Coby is all grown up now!

grandjedi6

Crazymoogle said:
wife appeasement
Yeah that undoubtably has alot to do with it. That and just fulfilling general fanservice quotas.

Himuro said:
Shut up!

Nami's my favorite character next to Luffy! She's not fanservice and I refuse to accept this!

Well lets see, her contribution in Enies Lobby was to walk around half naked and then participate in a fanservice fight, in Thriller Bark she got captured right away and was psuedo-raped by a invisible man and in Sabony she cried at appropriate intervals. Awesome character.

Hopefully Nami is the next Strawhat to get character development as she, as well as Chopper, could really use it.

none of that....!

I will not have Nami insulted in that manner! Just you wait until we see a recap of her current situation! I am sure she is involved in some scamming or other.

I agree that she has got more fanservice, but she is still an awesome character...anyway, she has been playing a role in various fights, but it has been clear from the start that she was one of the weaker characters...she will obviously be getting a power up

Neo C.

Himuro said:
I also disagree with grandjedi. Ignoring fights, which make up a small portion of One Piece's appeal for me anyway, Nami is clearly the person who keeps the Strawhats in order with her navigation and leader skills. While she doesn't make the more tough decisions like Luffy or Zoro, she's still the main player that keeps the crew on their feet.
I agree. If we split up the leadership in mental leader and command leader, clearly Luffy leads in the big scheme, while Nami does the command.

Shoogoo

I've started watching One Piece a month ago and so far I love it! (I'm at ~ep. 65)

Does it stay good all along? I found Naruto to be hella boring after a while (~ep. 80?)

grandjedi6

Himuro said:
I also disagree with grandjedi. Ignoring fights, which make up a small portion of One Piece's appeal for me anyway, Nami is clearly the person who keeps the Strawhats in order with her navigation and leader skills. While she doesn't make the more tough decisions like Luffy or Zoro, she's still the main player that keeps the crew on their feet.

Take that, grandjedi!
I don't disagree with that, it's just that has not been the focus of Nami for a long time.

Himuro said:
I don't think there's any ranking in the Strawhat crew. If it were any other normal crew, Zoro would be first mate. Luffy's the captain but he doesn't ACT like a captain besides in specific situations.

The main three that have the most leadership are Luffy, Zoro, and Nami.

Luffy makes the big decisions like where they're going to go, what they're going to do.

Zoro makes the tough decisions that Luffy just can't make such as telling Usopp flat out that he can no longer journey with them.

While Nami is the general go to person for normal crap like money ($_$), commanding the ship, and more.
Actually this is another case of One Piece taking something from history. Historical Pirate Captains from the 1600s weren't traditional authorities and the like but instead were just a strong fighter that the other crew members could place their trust in. Likewise the first mate was just the Captains right hand man. It was actually the Quartermaster who took care of the day to day operations and had the true authority outside of battle.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am on episode 324. And I will admit my eyes got wet at the end of the Ennies Lobby arc. More than once in fact. So epic,

gdt

Relix said:
I am on episode 324. And I will admit my eyes got wet at the end of the Ennies Lobby arc. More than once in fact. So epic,

While Water7/Ennies Lobby is the best overall arc, Thriller Bark has by far the best last act (meaning the final fights and especially after). Totally makes up for the ok start.

gdt

Himuro said:
Ok start? You're crazy.

Manga or anime?

I thought that when I read it in the manga it was a dream come true, like Oda planned it from the start. Pirates + haunted ships = zomg, so I was jizzing pretty much the entire arc.

Eh, I just really, really hate haunted houses/ships/mansions etc.

I loathe them.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I was talking to my brother about this anime and we came to a conclusion that this is easily the best anime that has such remarkable characters and the lore is insane! The only person that I'm having a hard time enjoying is Franky...probably because he doesn't have pervert characteristics like Sanji and Brook

grandjedi6

SteveO409 said:
I was talking to my brother about this anime and we came to a conclusion that this is easily the best anime that has such remarkable characters and the lore is insane! The only person that I'm having a hard time enjoying is Franky...probably because he doesn't have pervert characteristics like Sanji and Brook
What?

Dartastic

Himuro said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg/800px-20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg[img]

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.[/QUOTE]

HOLY SHIT. O.0

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
404!
GIF time!: epic save

Of course next week is a very important episode and then we will have 2 filler episodes afterwords. But thankfully they're on Detective Luffy, and everyone loves Detective Luffy! After that we'll go back to the main plot in July.
That happened. I scrolled back. Watched it again. Man oh man.

NomarTyme

Himuro said:
[/img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg/800px-20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg[/img]

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.
:lol Awesome.

Himuro said:
The thing about Chopper is that they've always hinted that he's fucking strong as hell but he always gets the short end of the stick and is made to be "weak" because he's cute.

Seriously. It's always awesome when he gets serious and really does some damage. Then he goes back to pet.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Himuro said:
The thing about Chopper is that they've always hinted that he's fucking strong as hell but he always gets the short end of the stick and is made to be "weak" because he's cute.
THIS. Rob Lucci was tough as hell (not counting his Tekkai stance thingy) and he was a Zoan user. If only they would stop bitchifying Chopper and make him "weak" in his normal form and beastly in any other form, I'd be happy.

Twig

Banned
I can't wait to see the anime people's responses to the current manga arc.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man.

404 is indeed awesome isn't it?

Also I love Chopper! He's one of my favorites. Not that this means much. I like them all.

Say what you will about Chopper but I crack up every time he is handed candy or shown the wanted poster. :lol

He definitely has room for improvement as a fighter, but his childish behavior makes for a lot of good jokes (particularly his total gullibility).

All caught up with the manga. Pretty epic stuff.

Now I have to start watching out for the weekly spoilers. Never liked those when I was up to date about a year ago. :lol

Firestorm

You know. If there's ever a good One Piece game. This forum needs to go into full straw hat avatar mode. Charmander needs a straw hat.

Jcdragon

WOW at 405.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still found myself almost at the edge of my seat. It really made you feel for the characters. Especially the flashback near the end.

This thread needs to be bumped again for those who don't know 405 is out. Such an awesome episode. Especially how Luffy acted at the end. Just that raw emotion seeping through him.

I really hope they animate the cover stories that are going on now in the manga. Either that or add them in in a specific episode.

gdt

Relix said:
Thriller Bark is so bad in anime form... >_>

???????????????

The beginning of TB is meh (to me, I hatehateHATE haunted/ghost stuff), but the final battles are SO FUCKING EPIC.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
gdt5016 said:
???????????????

The beginning of TB is meh (to me, I hatehateHATE haunted/ghost stuff), but the final battles are SO FUCKING EPIC.

The beginning is horrible. I am on ep 347... will just keep going.

Obviously manga readers have known about 405's events for a long time, but it's what finally cemented Oda as the best manga writer to have ever graced Shounen Jump by far.

Unlike all the other "popular character" driven shounen's, Oda actually dared to split Luffy off from every single member of the main cast and still has for over a year, because the story demanded it. And thats the difference. One Piece actually is a story, it has events that link in to previous ones and there is an ultmate goal. All the other manga just feel like randomly stitched together fights with the explanation for the conflicts often a complete afterthought.

I wish Japan would somehow revolutionise it's anime production and switch to seasons instead of weekly episodes. When its firing on all cylinders (like the last 2 eps) the OP anime is utterly fantastic, but when it drags and its the bottom tier animation it's just not even worth watching.

gdt

So, I had a little catching up to do, and wow wow wow at 405. Tears were literally streaming down my face.

I miss the Strawhats :(.

tri_willy

Himuro said:
:( Oh God, grandjedi was right. They really have turned Nami into pure fanservice. :(

I just can't accept it.

my explanation is that since the storyline progressed, nami matured physically but yea, the bust is quite exagerrated if you make the comparisons.

damn another week til the anime resumes its canon plot

Twig

Banned
Himuro said:
I'm talking about the part where Nami changes in the train on the way to Enies Lobby, not just her bust size.
Yeah shit is rank, yo.

Nami was at one point a favorite, but... )':

I still don't dislike her but she's nowhere near the top anymore.

Not that she could stand up against ol' bonesy anyway.

ps manga still awesome

Top Bottom