• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Started the series over again after literally years off from it. I didn't want to, but I couldn't even remember where I stopped (somewhere just after Water7 I think?), so I was kinda forced.

Just finished Arabasta and man... Vivi's voice actress is all kinds of annoying, isn't she? Her whispering "...Leader" and then alternately shouting "KOOOHZAAAA!" almost made me give up.

In fact it's not just the voice... her whole character is kind of a buzzkill. The Strawhats are all laid back and she's always extremely worried about everything.

Very glad to be moving on to Skypeia... although I remember the back half of that arc being very drawn out too, just like Alabasta.

tumblr_lxup4qFsBf1r2r2x7o2_500.gif

I enjoyed when Luffy called out on Neptune saying jamon jamon jamon neptune or something. As well as his loitering around the palace. Luffy looked so happy. Otherwise felt pretty slow paced.
Weakyhoshi!

Gaaraz

Only on episode 341 so will try and avoid reading anything on this thread, just wanted to say that the scene with Luffy and the
Cerebus
must be one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV :D

Neo C.

There's always something you can in your life, isn't it? Today I have learned some French vocabulary and found out that belle-mère is French for step-mother. I know mère is French for mother, but still surprises me.

All I can say is One Piece's Belle-Mère is best belle-mère.

lol this ep.

Zoro: I don't give a fuck.

"If you don't want me to kill them, prepare for us to set sail!"

"And we need the rest of our crew - a gloomy woman, a robot, a racoon, and a dirty water imp."

"Why are we being ordered by our hostages?"

FreeMufasa

Can't believe it's already been like 2 years since I last watched OP. I stopped because I like watching it in ep bulks. I think the last episode I watched was when he landed on the Isle of Women.

I'm getting the PS3 game so i'll probably start watching again then. Think i've got about 100 episode to tuck into ^^

Entropia

No One Remembers
Can't believe it's already been like 2 years since I last watched OP. I stopped because I like watching it in ep bulks. I think the last episode I watched was when he landed on the Isle of Women.

I'm getting the PS3 game so i'll probably start watching again then. Think i've got about 100 episode to tuck into ^^

If you've been keeping with the manga, you know some cool stuff is about to go down!

tumblr_lykqyqLkZQ1r6kceto1_500.png

Zoro is definitely the best, the most pirate like of their crew. This was vastly way more enjoyable than the manga portrayed. All of his lines were awesome.

I didnt even realize he started calling her that.

Pretty sure he did cause I definitely heard "hoshi" when the sub said coward. It certainly didn't say Weakihoshi or Shirahoshi.

johnsmith

remember me
Is there any place I can stream this in HD and commercial free? I don't mind paying, and I'd rather pay than sit through Hulu's commercials.

I watched about the first 60 episodes of this a few years ago, and feel like catching up on it.

PK Gaming

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_54

D: Hey, Oda. In volume 53, chapter 518, Hancock's "Mero Mero Mellow" had no effect on Luffy at all, but in volume 23, chapter 213, it looked like he had a reaction to Nami's "Happiness Punch". Why did he respond to Nami's naked body but no to Hancock's? Is Nami's body just that amazing? -Kazu

O: Wow, I got a lot of questions about this. Is this what you guys are paying attention to? Don't just read manga all day, go study some more!! Okay? Well, I say that, but I do nothing but draw manga. I noticed this when we were drawing it, but if Luffy had a nosebleed when he saw Hancock's body, I think you would all be like "Ehh!?". That's not the Luffy we know. I believe that Luffy reacted to Nami's naked body twice, in volumes 18 and 23, and both times it happened, Usopp was with him! He's the suspicious one! In other words, when Luffy is alone, his reaction is what it was with Hancock. He's interested, but he's not entranced by her. But when he's with Usopp, who's the same age, it's like a kid on a school trip: his bad side comes out!! Yeah, both sides of Luffy feel right to me, so the culprit is definitely Usopp!!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pretty open and shut. People always forget these older scenes, and are under the impression Luffy is asexual because of the hancock scene. If you consider what Oda says (ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT ACE WAS ABOUT TO GET EXECUTED) it makes perfect sense why he isn't entranced by her. Regarding woman, Luffy is on the same level as Usopp. Interested, but no overly obsessed with them like Sanji.

I'd argue that Zoro is the asexual one considering he has shown 0 interest in Woman.

Wiseblade

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_54

D: Hey, Oda. In volume 53, chapter 518, Hancock's "Mero Mero Mellow" had no effect on Luffy at all, but in volume 23, chapter 213, it looked like he had a reaction to Nami's "Happiness Punch". Why did he respond to Nami's naked body but no to Hancock's? Is Nami's body just that amazing? -Kazu

O: Wow, I got a lot of questions about this. Is this what you guys are paying attention to? Don't just read manga all day, go study some more!! Okay? Well, I say that, but I do nothing but draw manga. I noticed this when we were drawing it, but if Luffy had a nosebleed when he saw Hancock's body, I think you would all be like "Ehh!?". That's not the Luffy we know. I believe that Luffy reacted to Nami's naked body twice, in volumes 18 and 23, and both times it happened, Usopp was with him! He's the suspicious one! In other words, when Luffy is alone, his reaction is what it was with Hancock. He's interested, but he's not entranced by her. But when he's with Usopp, who's the same age, it's like a kid on a school trip: his bad side comes out!! Yeah, both sides of Luffy feel right to me, so the culprit is definitely Usopp!!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pretty open and shut. People always forget these older scenes, and are under the impression Luffy is asexual because of the hancock scene. If you consider what Oda says (ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT ACE WAS ABOUT TO GET EXECUTED) it makes perfect sense why he isn't entranced by her. Regarding woman, Luffy is on the same level as Usopp. Interested, but no overly obsessed with them like Sanji.

I'd argue that Zoro is the asexual one considering he has shown 0 interest in Woman.
I knew you were going to use that quote, but that's hardly conclusive. "Interested" can be interpreted in any number of ways. All that really says is "Usopp is a bad influence".

I don't think Luffy is asexual either, but playing Devil's advocate is so much fun!

PK Gaming

I knew you were going to use that quote, but that's hardly conclusive. "Interested" can be interpreted in any number of ways. All that really says is "Usopp is a bad influence".

I don't think Luffy is asexual either, but playing Devil's advocate is so much fun!

How so? Interested when placed right before the word "enthralled" strongly implies that Oda is talking about his romantic sense. Even if Oda never stated that, you're still ignoring the two times he had a nosebleed. Usopp being a bad influence makes a ton of sense. When i'm around my friends, I'm 1000000% percent more likely to act lewd and perverted, but on my own i'm pretty reserved.

Ok, I take it you like arguing as much as I do?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Reading through the Kaizoku Musou thread, a lot of people were saying how much they hate the dub. Am I the only one that likes it? Funimation has done an excellent job with the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh right, 4Kids. Sad how that travesty sticks with people so much they refuse to try the Funimation version. There needs to be a comparison guide for people tainted by the 4Kids version showing the better voice actors and lines.

You know, it's a good thing the 4Kids dub was dropped before Skypiea, it only gets worse (in content) from there.

At least the latest Collection (#4) is doing really well. Probably because Chopper is on the cover.

PK Gaming

Oh man, me too. I couldn't take the awful (but memorable) opening, bad voice acting and terrible censors.

Fuck, and you know whats the worst part? Funimation was gunning for One Piece back in the day, but 4Kids managed to get their dirty hands on it. Glad those bastards are bankrupt.

Oh man, me too.

Fuck, and you know whats the worst part? Funimation was gunning for One Piece back in the day, but 4Kids managed to get their dirty hands on it. Glad those bastardds are bankrupt.

I wish they werent then they could have released the best season of Yugioh completely on DVD. I wanted relive the experience to get my game on and throw down a face down

PK Gaming

Hey guys, I have a request... err a mission should you choose to accept it. I was watching the anime and came across I song that enthralled me. Only problem is, I can't find it anywhere!

Here's the song in question:

(When Luffy & the impel down prisoners arrive at Marineford)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uVboAzG770s#t=35s

The song sounds similar to:
I won't fall to something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3odad-mGO8&feature=channel_video_title

But, that isn't the song. There are a ton of differences, and the ending is completely different. If anyone can find the song I was looking for, that'd be swell.

Piecake

I usually prefer anime to manga, and tried to get caught up on the One piece anime this week. I just couldnt do it though. I find it so freakin annoying that they actively try to find ways to stretch out the time. It really just makes for poorly paced, boring episodes

right now Im at episode 531 when they are flying up to the palace. Holy crap, everyone just starts saying Whale, Shark, and neptune for 5 minutes with like 2 minute pauses in between. Absolutely unbearable. I had to shut it off.

Its to the point where I am just going to wait for One Piece Kai

What? I find the anime pacing to be quite good and easy to take in the great set pieces Oda made and the music/environmental ambiance.

Though its not like this arc has been as enthralling as other ones.

survivor

Banned
I usually prefer anime to manga, and tried to get caught up on the One piece anime this week. I just couldnt do it though. I find it so freakin annoying that they actively try to find ways to stretch out the time. It really just makes for poorly paced, boring episodes

right now Im at episode 531 when they are flying up to the palace. Holy crap, everyone just starts saying Whale, Shark, and neptune for 5 minutes with like 2 minute pauses in between. Absolutely unbearable. I had to shut it off.

Its to the point where I am just going to wait for One Piece Kai

That's why I rarely watch the anime. I just watch ones that have good fights or scenes I want to see animated and even then, I just end up skipping most of the parts.

Guess everyone must be in the one piece pirate warriors thread and failed to see the episode.

It was pretty nice, hyped about the next episode, Ive been waiting so long.

Nico Robin was epic and Luffy was silly.

Cwarrior

been trying to go cold turkey on one piece for a while and watch the eps pile up but it's just too hard, I need my fix.

One piece 532

Am already liking vander decken his got style and likes his females big.

One piece 533

HAHA
Haha kunfu point
weakyhoshi hiding sharks mouth
zoro had this episode with his hostage taker antics and demands

One piece 535

-poor shark his trying so hard not to vomit
-vander decken one crazy four legged mofo
I recognize the bus top robins waiting at, its the same one in the cover art

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As per my post from several weeks ago, I started OP over again from the start. Hitting a dilemma, though. What's the best way to fill the gap between K-F and the official Funi subs?

K-F stops at 299. Funi subs don't start until 391 :/ That's 100 eps I'll need to get from "lesser" groups and IDK who is reliable.

As per my post from several weeks ago, I started OP over again from the start. Hitting a dilemma, though. What's the best way to fill the gap between K-F and the official Funi subs?

K-F stops at 299. Funi subs don't start until 391 :/ That's 100 eps I'll need to get from "lesser" groups and IDK who is reliable.

I would say Vegapunk and then Nakama Fansubs when you run out of those.

Top Bottom