• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Skypiea gets a bad rap because it comes right after the really terrific Baroque Works Saga and right before the CP9 Saga, which is still arguably the best in the series, and it does drag on a little bit while seemingly being a diversion of the crew's logical progression through the seas (though their time in Skypiea has become more and more relevant to the main plot of the series as time has gone by).

All told, I would probably consider the Sky Island Saga the weakest of the 5 major sagas that have been completed thus far, but it's still really fun adventure stuff.

The next saga is where Oda really takes the series to the next level and starts mixing things up. Plot structure gets changed, the scale becomes dramatically larger and more epic, stakes become simultaneously both grander and more personal, and more and more "global plot" begins to creep into crew's story. Enjoy!

aechris

Skypiea gets a bad rap because

Because it's pretty awful. :(

I do not like Otohime at all at this point, but I am glad Fisher Tiger is awesome. He looks cool, he sounds cool, he does cool things. He's been built up so much as this fishman legend so I am happy that he did not disappoint in his reveal this episode.

SykoTech

Great episode. I love the One Piece universe and seeing events previously talked about or hinted at get filled in. And man, Jimbei looks so badass in the past.

And I see Kizaru is in the next episode, so I'm already looking forward to that.

Raxus

That 's pretty much the general consensus on the arc. Generally it's considered weak compared to the ones immediately prior and after, rather than truly bad.

I considered the actual fighting parts of the arc to be the weakest (Excluding Bellamy's OHKO) while the flashback and world-building aspects to be brilliant. Watching the crew figure out yhow to gwet into the sky was great and Norland's story is the best flashback in the show.

As I already mentioned the arc's battles fell flat for me. The stakes felt a lot lower and the enemies weren't as threatening. With the exception of Enel, none of the really felt powerful or like a legitimate threat for the main characters.

Satori and Enel made for some great fights and the arc sets up for some great pay offs in the 'short' (relatively speaking) run in terms of the merry and in the long run. There is an entertaining filler arc afterwards and it leads directly into my favorite arc so far in One Piece.

Satori and Enel made for some great fights and the arc sets up for some great pay offs in the 'short' (relatively speaking) run in terms of the merry and in the long run. There is an entertaining filler arc afterwards and it leads directly into my favorite arc so far in One Piece.

Yeah tbh Navarrone is probably one of the best fillers I've ever seen for a shonen anime.

Prison break in my Shonen? Fuck yeah :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
G8 is so good it makes me genuinely sad it isn't canon. I want more Jonathan, dammit. Dude is awesome.

Edit: They even hinted at him having some unrevealed power early in the arc, too. Maybe they'll bring him back for another post-timeskip filler.

Wiseblade

I find it weird that the Arlong arc is the "watershed" moment for One Piece when things start getting real on the Baratie. Zoro's fight with Mihawk was great.

The only good One Piece flashback are ones that involve Luffy, Ace, Sabo. This episode was really quite dull with Otohime. At least her gimmick is funny.

tumblr_m1iy88UcJA1r3252oo1_500.gif

PK Gaming

Clearly the best flashback is
Luffy's.

Glad to see you getting caught up dude, I agree with you Skypeia was fucking awesome (and its mad underrated around these parts for some reason)

Oh well!

Issue with Nami's etc flashbacks, is they are only good the first time and not really adventurous, and most all ended up in crying a lot.
Ace Sabo Luffy at least ended in laughs and smiles, Sanji's too.

Mr. Fix

You are both heathens for not saying Brook's is the best.

Oh yeah, that was a great one also. Though it's a shame it happened near the end of Thriller Bark when things were slowing down.

I'm hoping they do Fisher Tiger and the Queen's flashback well. For me it depends on what themes they play.

most all ended up in crying a lot.

All according to keikaku.

4 of my close buds are really into the anime as well. I recently got another friend to give it a shot. He's up to episode 10, and is enjoying it. I'm sure he'll enjoy Baratie, and be hooked on it if/when he makes it to episode 36.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Impressions time.

One Piece - Davy Back Fight Arc (207-219)

Well, first of all, I'd like to say that the filler arc that precedes Davy Back Fight was actually pretty cool.

kw8ck.jpg

And this... Well, I can definitely see why people dislike this arc, although I'd still rank it higher than the Captain Kuro one because of a couple of redeeming points:

- The concept of the Fight is neat.
-
Afro Luffy
was amazing.
- The
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
animals.
- The partnership between Zoro and Sanji.
The Groggy Ring event was surprisingly epic, and the animation in those last moments was top-notch.
-
Robin acting like a motherly figure when Chopper was crying was a pretty good moment. I just love all the characters in the crew.

The fact that I was drooling over the new OP and the widescreen resolution probably made me forgive a couple of this arc's mistakes, too. Like:

- There's almost no character development.
- I couldn't care less about
Tonjit, his grandkid, and the horse, although the fact that he stayed for 10 years standing on tilts is hilarious.
- The "main villain" is pretty annoying.
He reminds me of Wario.
- The filler events
were so obnoxious. Well, Roller Race was kind of fun, but the way the dodgeball match and the Oni game ended made me cringe. I know they were made to be funny, but they only frustrated me.

Although the anime team deserves a compliment for the way
they integrated the filler episodes in this arc. I honestly would never have guessed three of the events were anime-exclusive if I wasn't checking a guide.

Can't wait for the next "serious" arc.

SykoTech

Fisher Tiger and Jimbei are some seriously cool bosses. Makes me wonder how Arlong turned out to be such a douche.

Really liked the part with the little girl. Makes me feel that something pretty bad is about to happen though. After all, for every happy emotional part in One Piece, comes a sad one.

Can't wait for the next "serious" arc.

You're in for a huge treat after the Davy Back arc. Enjoy.

Fisher Tiger and Jimbei are some seriously cool bosses. Makes me wonder how Arlong turned out to be such a douche.

Really liked the part with the little girl. Makes me feel that something pretty bad is about to happen though. After all, for every happy emotional part in One Piece, comes a sad one.

That's the thing with OP no sugar coating the bad. The bad is always really bad.

deduce

I'm really liking this flashback sequence with Fisher Tiger.
That poor little girl, even the fishmen were able to see that the cruelty of man didn't extend just to fishmen.

That's the thing with OP no sugar coating the bad. The bad is always really bad.
Especially since we know the fates of both Fisher Tiger and Queen Otohime, there's no way for this flashback not end badly. They still haven't gone into detail about the fishmen/human blood transfusion law.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh damn, I had completely forgotten Fisher Tiger's flashback and the little girl :(

Anime is making the Fishman Island arc a LOT better than the manga. Seems to be flowing far better at least.

Cwarrior

one piece 541

Superb emotional episode, even my dead heart was moved :(

Seriously this one the few animes able to pull of emotional scenes and the best at it
dat gun in water scene

Fishman tiger is like angry jesus + john rambo + fishmen = Fishman tiger

is it just me or has Luffy's attack animations improved quite a bit since time skip?

Maybe it's cuz he fights so much like a DBZ boss ;P

And why is mermaid princess so adorable?

deduce

Wow,
I wasn't expecting Tiger's death was caused by his own pride.

Side question: I never really know, but in this thread should I spoiler tag or not spoiler tag current episode plot details?

upandaway

Wow,
I wasn't expecting Tiger's death was caused by his own pride.

Side question: I never really know, but in this thread should I spoiler tag or not spoiler tag current episode plot details?
If it's an eye-catching set of spoilery words (like ____+death) it's nice courtesy, especially because a lot of people who are not caught up post here. Nothing forces you though.

Top Bottom