• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

My major league team fan interest dropped 5 points because Aronnry Cruz, a guy in AA last year that sported a 6.43 ERA, left as a FA to Cincinnati.

This game.

I was interested in Gallo, but even with the scrimping and coupon-clipping over the years, we just don't have the budget, realistically. I made him a very fair offer imo, and he acknowledged that it was close, but not quite enough.

In reality though, that kind of spending isn't really in my organization's DNA. It's just too big a handicap on flexibility for me. I'm kind of relieved that he wants more than I offered because even my slightly low (by his demands) offer would have really tightened the wallet for a long while for the Twins. And it's such a big gamble to pay such a big contract to one player. Injury or a drop in performance can really kick you in the junk on such mega deals.

I mean when will it get to the point that a player says, "Sure, I'll sign with your organization...as soon as you call it MY organization." That's about what some of these contract wishes approach.

Oh, to be swimming in Dodgers' money.

After you sign with the Tigers, I wouldn't crowd the plate when you're playing the Twins buddy. We're coming in high and tight. ;)

Rommel

I was interested in Gallo, but even with the scrimping and coupon-clipping over the years, we just don't have the budget, realistically. I made him a very fair offer imo, and he acknowledged that it was close, but not quite enough.

In reality though, that kind of spending isn't really in my organization's DNA. It's just too big a handicap on flexibility for me. I'm kind of relieved that he wants more than I offered because even my slightly low (by his demands) offer would have really tightened the wallet for a long while for the Twins. And it's such a big gamble to pay such a big contract to one player. Injury or a drop in performance can really kick you in the junk on such mega deals.

I mean when will it get to the point that a player says, "Sure, I'll sign with your organization...as soon as you call it MY organization." That's about what some of these contract wishes approach.

Oh, to be swimming in Dodgers' money.

After you sign with the Tigers, I wouldn't crowd the plate when you're playing the Twins buddy. We're coming in high and tight. ;)

My biggest mistake was caving to my owner and signing Ozuna.

Really bummed I wasn't able to re-sign Aaron Brown after I didn't offer him arbitration. Washington got him on a pretty great deal, I just couldn't give him $9 million in arbitration when I need to cut salary. He completely outplays his rankings and has great intangibles. He's not a guy that I can really replace, and I doubt I find a guy like that again.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Dec 11, 2021
Notes:

SD - SS S. Castro (1.3M, 1y)
HOU - 1B A. Lavisky (30M, 3y)
LAD - SP K. Graveman (156M, 7y)
PHI - 1B H. Morris (48M, 2y)
LAD - 2B F. Perez (38M, 3y)

Cleveland traded SP Santiago for Kanas' C McCann. I have too many young pitchers that need to stay in the lineup to keep Santiago around and could use another intelligent vet behind the plate that I don't have keep around forever.

Probably start moving back to 7 days sims here. Best offers should be getting made.

brentech

Sim: 8 days
Date: Dec 19, 2021
Notes: Simmed 8 days to bring us to the Winter Meetings

Bigger signings
STL - LF M. Marcelino (22M, 5y)
NYM - RF Garcia (176M, 6y)
PHI - CF G. Springer (37M, 4y)
KC - CL C. Smith (18M, 3y)
MIN - RF S. Piscotty (60M, 4y)
BOS - SP Z. Petrick (26M, 4y)
TB - CF N. Ishida (47M, 6y)

Rommel

Sim: 8 days
Date: Dec 19, 2021
Notes: Simmed 8 days to bring us to the Winter Meetings

Bigger signings
STL - LF M. Marcelino (22M, 5y)
NYM - RF Garcia (176M, 6y)
PHI - CF G. Springer (37M, 4y)
KC - CL C. Smith (18M, 3y)
MIN - RF S. Piscotty (60M, 4y)
BOS - SP Z. Petrick (26M, 4y)
TB - CF N. Ishida (47M, 6y)

From best offer to signing with another team before I could counter... Lame. Oh well he was getting a bit pricey anyways.

Couple of Cards went in that sim. Petrick went cheaper than I thought. Glad I got Marcelino, he was my main target, solid offensive player, great in the OF which is what I need. I'm basically done in the market now.

brentech

Sim: 6 days
Date: Dec 25, 2021
Notes: Rule 5 draft is just around the corner. Get your guys on that 40 man if you need to protect them. This is your first and last warning.

Tomorrow will we update the league file so people can see the rule 5 updates.

Signings:

Code:
SEA - RP Melancon (3.2M - 1y)
CLE - 3B Garcia (57M - 4y)
NYY - 1B Singleton (163M - 7y)
SD  - SP deGrom (25M - 2y)
CLE - 2B Panik (1.7M - 1y)

Sim: 6 days
Date: Dec 25, 2021
Notes: Rule 5 draft is just around the corner. Get your guys on that 40 man if you need to protect them. This is your first and last warning.

Tomorrow will we update the league file so people can see the rule 5 updates.

Signings:

Code:
SEA - RP Melancon (3.2M - 1y)
CLE - 3B Garcia (57M - 4y)
NYY - 1B Singleton (163M - 7y)
SD  - SP deGrom (25M - 2y)
CLE - 2B Panik (1.7M - 1y)

Aww yeah, World Series!

Only one of my starting fielders from last year is going to be in the same role this year. I got rid of a lot of guys.
So most player personnel and all of my major league team personnel is new for next season.

I'm just excited to have a half decent reliever. I have some guys on my roster who might pan out, but having at least one proven guy will help, my team lost a lot of close games last year.

I was really tempted to offer a deal to McCutchen as a make-nice, but then I looked at his fielding performance. Yikes. That man should be a 1B or DH.

Only one of my starting fielders from last year is going to be in the same role this year. I got rid of a lot of guys.
So most player personnel and all of my major league team personnel is new for next season.

At least it will be an exciting and unpredictable season.

I'm on the other side of that coin currently, having a pretty locked-in base. I felt like I didn't have to sign anyone to be competitive, but Piscotty will be an upgrade @ RF for me. (Hopefully, anyway.)

I did bring up a AAA guy to tentatively slot into the 5th spot in my rotation, but other than that and Piscotty, I'm status-quo, hoping for team health and productivity.

My biggest gamble/move was certainly bringing up a rookie-ball guy as my big-league skipper, but he's just been so successful and I wanted to give him a shot to see if he's something special after Bannister's contract expired.

Every season is a new animal, and it's always exciting as we work through the off-season with all organizations reshuffling and full of hope for the new spring and 162 (and beyond).

brentech

My biggest gamble/move was certainly bringing up a rookie-ball guy as my big-league skipper, but he's just been so successful and I wanted to give him a shot to see if he's something special after Bannister's contract expired.
Yeah, the other day when I was asking if people wanted all GMs to have the ability to set rotations/lineups was because our Dodgers owner, FrenchMovieTheme, basically has nothing to do so he just updates and looks at the file - doesn't even export. Which, I'm okay with, but I just wanted to make sure there was an interest in the game for him and that it was still fun.

Then...two nights ago I realized that the AA manager that I promoted to replace Francona actually takes full control. I don't think it tells you until they are in the majors, because after checking I noticed all of my minor league mangers allow full control of all strategy.
I could have sworn I checked my manger before deciding to make that move.
Anyways, it might help with the baby on the way. Half the time now days I only have time to update the league and I don't do anything with my team at all -- so maybe it will help me. I'm just really excited about the season because my team and organization is like a 95% overhaul.

Well, that would make me change how I felt if there was no way to know in advance whether a potential manager hire would give you control or not. I didn't realize that. I've always had control, but I would honestly enjoy it less if I did not. It would still be fun from a roster building standpoint, but it's nice to be able to tinker with your team if you want to.

Anyway, having a newborn, you'll be better off with as little on your plate as possible. Trust me, I speak from (past) experience. ;)

brentech

TODAY'S UPDATE IS COMPLETE. DO NOT ADJUST ANYTHING ON YOUR ROSTER, BUT MAKE SURE YOUR RULE 5 LIST IS FILLED OUT IF YOU WANT TO DRAFT SOMEONE.

Hey, like, no one bother with the Rule 5 guys, okay? It's... they're all bad and stuff? So, don't waste your time. It's totally cool, just don't even worry about 'em.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Jan 1, 2022
Notes: WELCOME TO 2022
Rule 5 draft is complete. We'll be chugging along with 7 day sims for a bit now. Last year we got through the final month prior to spring ball with 14 day sims,

-14 players were taken during the Rule 5 draft
- At the end of the season, we found out Miami's Jeremy Ovalle put out a rap album. Today, we found out his album flopped.
VrTmqn2.png

Bigger signings
Code:
CWS - RF Cespedes (3M - 1y)
TOR - CL Gonzales (26M - 5y)
PHI - CL Britton (35M - 3y)
NYY - CL Barrett (14.6M - 3y)
COL - CL Valdez (10M - 1y)
LAD - RP Ryu (16M - 2y)

Real bummer about the album. It started with such promise. Him and Shaq got something in common now at least.

EDIT: Oh. Oh, dear. I didn't think I'd actually get 3 Rule 5 guys. Hmmmm. Sure, I put in three rounds, but I never thought it'd actually happen. I'm like the brexit of OOTP. Whoops.

Rommel

Available Players

SP Tim Berry - 2 Class A lottery tickets or one AA/AAA decent prospect
SP Marco Gonzales - 2 Class A lottery tickets or one AA/AAA decent prospect
SP Michael Pineda - Class A lottery ticket
SP James Paxton - Class A lottery ticket
CF Marcell Ozuna - Whatever scrub you want to give
2B Kolten Wong - 1 Elite Prospect (near MLB ready) + 2 Good Prospects AA/A
SS Jurksion Profar - 1 Elite Prospect (near MLB ready) + 3 Good Prospects AA/A
RF Mikie Mahtook - 1 Elite Prospect (near MLB ready) + 2 Good Prospects AA/A

Top Bottom