• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S5 |OT| New blood. New rules - Netflix June 9th

I may get around to it anyways, but this thread doesn't have my enthusiasm renewed after losing stamina about midway through S4. I appreciate things like the Pennsatucky arc and some other messages throughout, but damn...

The absolute high point, for me, may have been S2 EP1 (Chicago).

Zalasta

Well, have to say that their choice to end the riot really soured me on the entire season. I was fairly positive until the last episode. It would suck to see OITNB getting a renewal in the face of Netflix cancelling other series I have found more entertaining.

Bluth54

I finished the season today and thought it was another solid season. I enjoyed the tight focus this season had on the riot and it will be interesting to see where they take it next year.

was a weird season, had some incredible and some very emotional and hard hitting moments

but also some very out of touch and useless ones too

still excited for more though!

Blader

Well, have to say that their choice to end the riot really soured me on the entire season. I was fairly positive until the last episode. It would suck to see OITNB getting a renewal in the face of Netflix cancelling other series I have found more entertaining.

The show was already renewed last year to run up to S7.

Zen Aku

10 episodes in. Show is getting much better.

Tastee has basically taken the mantle of the show's main character from Piper, and I approve whole-heartedly.
Yeah, she's great. I miss Poussey but I'm glad they didn't abandoned the black inmates completely and that Poussey death has such a rippling consequences.

Bladenic

I'm so sick of Suzanne. Throw that bitch in psych. Ugh.

And the ridiculous way they
got rid of Sophia was hilarious. Why is she barely in the show every season? I can't imagine she's that busy (well she had Doubt but...)
plus this show made her famous.

Is there some reason so much of this season continues to focus on the two meth heads? Christ I can't stand either of them.

More Maritza and Flaca please.

aBarreras

i think my favorite part was episode one with all the referenes to mass shootings in US.

at first i think i was very insensible, then as the episode passed i realized it was kinda of genius

10 episodes in. Show is getting much better.

Tastee has basically taken the mantle of the show's main character from Piper, and I approve whole-heartedly.

fuck taystee

I forgot to remind the woman about this despite her getting me into the show.

Eh. It's not bad, I always found you know whose death convoluted and silly as hell, and this season picks up where the fourth left off.

At this show I'm watching it because I'm invested, and there's nothing else like it. It jumped the shark way too long ago, and some elements, like the flashbacks, aren't utilized a fraction as well as they were in the past.

Sunster

Is there some reason so much of this season continues to focus on the two meth heads? Christ I can't stand either of them.

More Maritza and Flaca please.

I feel like we got way too much neo nazi/ white nationalist play this season. but I guess that makes sense since Piper rallied them together last season.

i think my favorite part was episode one with all the referenes to mass shootings in US.

at first i think i was very insensible, then as the episode passed i realized it was kinda of genius

fuck taystee

Taystee is a great character. The writers wrote her into a hole this season. She's shown herself to be one of the smartest inmates,
no way she would have realistically thrown that deal away, pride or not.

Coolluck

Show gets a B- from me for the season. That may adjust down as I reflect more on it. I really liked some of the ideas they had for the season but it felt like they ran out of steam but committed to it for whatever reason. There was so much foolishness throughout that it's hard to recommend it, though. The end of the season was unsatisfying but interesting enough for me to tune in for a couple episodes next year. They're terrible at the last shot of a season too.

The season overall was meh, but that one scene with Sophia and the doctor in episode 3 was just so inexplicably awful that I'm genuinely curious how it made it into the show.

"Hey...where'd you go?"

"We can fix that."

Ughhhhhhhh....

Not really spoilers, but
I'm confused about the timeline and that nurse still in the prison. This took place over several days, yes? Did that guy not sleep? He seemed rather indifferent considering all the guards had been rounded up and taken hostage.

Mimosa97

I'm near the end of episode 3 and I feel like giving up. This is just terrible. I can't believe they managed to ruin one of my favorite shows.

Does it get any better ?

LotusHD

Banned
I'm near the end of episode 3 and I feel like giving up. This is just terrible. I can't believe they managed to ruin one of my favorite shows.

Does it get any better ?

Hmm... I guess not? If you don't like it now, it won't dramatically improve or anything, may even think it gets worse.

Bladenic

Not really spoilers, but
I'm confused about the timeline and that nurse still in the prison. This took place over several days, yes? Did that guy not sleep? He seemed rather indifferent considering all the guards had been rounded up and taken hostage.

Lmao the nurse was so random. It seemed he was trying to be all heroic but then
whats his face died under his watch, and then the way the hick threatens him when he could easily fight back or later run away and he just doesn't care lmao. I don't think I even saw him after he's put into the Poo.

Epcott

On episode 11...
A few episodes prior, it was really dragging. The pacing this season is pretty bad, probably since they've been
dragging this riot out. Didn't really care for the horror movie spoof.
Then again, binging is probably a bad idea and has made me cranky.

Morello and Suzanne are unbearably annoying this season too.

At this point, I just want this
riot
to end, so they can probably end the season on another cliffhanger or status quo with the prison still in the shitter.

Bladenic

Morello had her moments although she had plenty of funny moments too. But yeah Suzanne was completely insufferable. Now that Poussey is gone I only care about Taystee from the black crew. Black Cindy is good for one liners but otherwise, meh. Actually Amanda is cool.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the Season. Amazing start, middling middle but amazing finale. "To Build a Home" always gets me worked up so they really hit that final scene out of the park for me.

Really glad they went another direction this season and it looks like next season will continue that way. Wonder if they'll try to wrap it up next year too.

Weird that basically everyone else hated it. I was getting bored with the show after season 3 and 4 but they really kicked it up this year and renewed my interest. Still in love with the characters and the way they juggle dozens of storylines at once is amazing.

KarmaCow

Not really spoilers, but

I think it was only four days and there was a bit where he sounded frustrated with the situation when the meth heads kidnapped him but yea, he was way too disaffected most of the time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm two episodes deep, but I'm liking it so far. I love Big Boo's and Pennsatucky's friendship.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Not really spoilers, but

they made it clear in the first few episodes he wanted to help as many people as he could. He recruited Sophia to help him as much as he could and then was basically alone keeping his head down without sleep for three days before the meth heads kidnapped him.

Humps died because of massive blood loss, a stroke, and being moved around a lot. The nurse probably stabilized him best he could but he probably had another stroke when he was kidnapped and died.

Galang

Banned
While the season does drag... I'm enjoying it.. surprised at all the hate. On episode 10, but it's not really as dark as I expected the way everyone was talking. The rat scene with maritza and the scene where piper gets marked last season was far worse than anything else this season. Not to mention poussey... Overall I suppose it's a lot more intense, but eh

Mimosa97

LotusHD

Banned
Well that's just sad. House cards season 5 was trash and now OITNB is even worse.

They canceled Marco Polo and Sense 8. I don't know if there are any netflix show left that i like.

Well, unlike House of Cards this season, OITNB was still bingeable even with its missteps. HoC on the other hand, that was such a slog to get through. But yea, both seasons weren't that great at the end of the day.

Episode 13:

How is their count showing they are missing 10 people if Pensatucky and that old lady escaped thru the fence? There are still 10 people in the pool, right?

Maybe I got my math wrong.

Episode 13:

How is their count showing they are missing 10 people if Pensatucky and that old lady escaped thru the fence? There are still 10 people in the pool, right?

Maybe I got my math wrong.

Nope, you are right. Two other people
escaped. The older asian lady and Pen.
Oh, and the one who got to see her daughter but maybe she was counted. I don't know.

What do you mean?

Personally, I hate how they made the nazi/white power people "just one of the girls" considering all the shit that's going on today but that's a personal thing.

Tasty, a strong black woman who's incredibly smart and finally finds her calling, caves in and let's discussions get fucked over because the killer of her friend may or may not go to jail, despite knowing how shitty the system is and how hard it is already to work within their means. Really set me back on her character. Like, I get it, but she was doing all this so that shit doesn't happen again.

How they dealt with Crazy Eyes. Thought it was going to be about loving yourself but really actually you need drugs because you aren't normal.

The Rape Cop, who's a likeable and fun character now finally gets the girl.

Had a few more, but those stood out to me. Also thought the pacing was absolutely shit, the flashbacks were pointless for the most part, Piper was insufferable again, too many moments of moodwhiplash, and some of the characters just felt like they were back to square one with development.

LotusHD

Banned
Personally, I hate how they made the nazi/white power people "just one of the girls" considering all the shit that's going on today but that's a personal thing.

Tasty, a strong black woman who's incredibly smart and finally finds her calling, caves in and let's discussions get fucked over because the killer of her friend may or may not go to jail, despite knowing how shitty the system is and how hard it is already to work within their means. Really set me back on her character. Like, I get it, but she was doing all this so that shit doesn't happen again.

How they dealt with Crazy Eyes. Thought it was going to be about loving yourself but really actually you need drugs because you aren't normal.

The Rape Cop, who's a likeable and fun character now finally gets the girl.

Had a few more, but those stood out to me. Also thought the pacing was absolutely shit, the flashbacks were pointless for the most part, Piper was insufferable again, too many moments of moodwhiplash, and some of the characters just felt like they were back to square one with development.

Oh yea, you are completely spot on with all of this.

I fucking hate the white supremacist/Nazi characters, as well as the meth heads who are barely different from them this season. And on a smaller note, the majority of these newer characters just aren't likable or nuanced at all. Just awful all around, only there to provide cringeworthy humor, or randomly cause grief for the OG characters.

They aren't funny, or bring anything of value to the show. And I swear if they get a backstory next season (Assuming I even watch), I will likely drop it right then and there.
I already see they seem to be kind of fleshing out one of them who had her boyfriend cheat on her or some shit, and I just do not give a fuck.

I also didn't like the resolution to Taystee's arc. I found it hard to believe that she would be that stubborn and ruin everyone's chances at bettering the prison and their living conditions. Just dumb.

Crazy Eyes, yea, just this one-note character this season. Only mourning Poussey,
and acting crazy all the while doing it. Was treated very poorly this season.

As for the Rape Cop, under no circumstances would I ever let this relationship even happen to begin with. That said, I thought that at the very least there would be some resolution to this disgusting relationship, where Coates finally gets his ultimate comeuppance. You know, where Pennsatucky finally realizes that she needs to get the fuck away from this dude. But nope, nothing bad really happened to him, and he gets to snuggle with the girl he raped. We have to wait until next year just for the possibility of this plot thread finally getting resolved. Extremely poor decision on the writers' parts.

Dabanton

One problem I had this season is how CO Bayley is portrayed it's almost too flippant not sure whether to laugh or not at his scenes. As their played pretty light.

It's kinda fucked up.

ScribbleD

Some of this probably doesn't need to be tagged, but it's just easier if I spoiler tag all of it.

Season 5 drags its feet early on, but it settled into a rhythm I was happy with by episode 4 or 5. Enjoyed it for being just outlandish. Reminds me of Hamsterdam in The Wire. There are some really powerful moments mixed in there, too. A big one is Poussey's library memorial. Brooke has grown on me a lot over time, and I haven't fully appreciated that until recently. Mostly, though, it's an absurd cartoon that provides an entertaining ride. It's really dumb and it falls apart under slight scrutiny, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a character focused dark comedy. If the threads are loose I'm willing to give it a lot of slack if it's making me laugh or at the very least showing me something new while these interesting chars do their things.

Couple of other random thoughts and specific criticisms

Jenji Kohen is the horniest person on the planet.

Piper's hollow token activism rears its head again. She keeps getting away with getting portrayed as naive and out of her depth and that's kind of supposed to be seem irreverant instead of how it actually is which is shitty. Her romance subplot with Alex is finally in a place that I would call inoffensive since they spend most of their time focused on each other and being cute together and out of the way, except when Piper can't help but stick her nose into the commotion. She's become less of the focus each season, which I'm grateful for, but I still see no redeeming qualities in her and has developed, but hasn't grown, and she doesn't become less insufferable over time, she just finds radically different ways to be insufferable each season.

Characters that I'm now completely over, moreso than even Piper: Dy, the meth heads, and Lorna. I'm done with all of them. Dy has been the show's dumbest character for a while, and I can't stand her this season. OITNB uses gaping lapses in char consistency to get away with moving the plot forward when it's convenient, it's guilty of that a lot, but no more often than with her. Her shooting a guard and then deciding to wash her hands of everything is baffling. The meth heads and Lorna share the same problem in that they've been allowed to get more and more one dimensional and flanderized over time, and they are so far over the edge that there's no salvaging them anymore. What prospects do these characters have to do anything interesting or redeemable at this point? It would require tearing any suspension of disbelief apart to rework them into actual characters again. Also, a gigantic fuck you to Lorna and the late-game decision to have her tell people with severe mental illnesses they don't need to take their meds.

Taystee is generally awesome, but I cannot follow her character's logic in episode 12. Throwing the deal in the trash because they cannot arrest and charge Bayley on the spot is childish and betrays how intelligent her character otherwise is. They try to explain it away as her being proud and too attached to one single demand, but it's not believable. Taystee is smart enough and generally mature enough to understand how things work, so dumpster-ing everything the way she did just seems odd.

What did the Muslim girl do to get sent to prison? I honestly don't remember if they covered that in a flashback last season. Also, her flashbacks this season were pretty strange.

There's a lot of problematic stuff regarding sexual assault in this season. First there's the playful use of it as a punishment for the guards, which is gross. Like really disgusting. Plus Pennsatucky and Donuts is disappointing and not handled well. I think I can see what they wanted to do with them, but even giving the writers that much credit, it feels wrong. Penns has developed into probably one of my favorite characters on the show, and this feels like a grave disappointment.

As always, Boo, Taystee, Gloria, Frieda are all amazing. Even though I'm disappointed with some of the directions they're taking Pennsatucky's character I still enjoyed her seens, too. Even Alex is super tolerable this season.

MC Safety

Some of this probably doesn't need to be tagged, but it's just easier if I spoiler tag all of it.

What did the Muslim girl do to get sent to prison? I honestly don't remember if they covered that in a flashback last season. A

Bigamy is a crime. She may have committed another offense, but that would be enough to land her in jail.

Top Bottom