• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition Announced (PC/XB1)

Head.spawn

Sorry for the bump but do we have any idea when this is coming? Surely its not being sent out during silly season to disappear into the ether?

I would have expected it before October.

dammit

the_empty_fridge_feel-68996.gif

this is on their twitter page:

Soon we'll invite you to join Nibel again! :)

Kyuur

Kind of weird. I didn't feel Ori needed additional content, it was pretty much perfect barring some points of no return.

Don't think I'll pick this up unless people really feel the additional content adds something. Metroidvania games need a certain balance in their world design, you can't really just tack on content like you do in other genres.

Az987

all good things
I didn't pay much attention to this when it got announced because I didn't have an Xbox One but is this getting a physical release too or just digital?

I didn't pay much attention to this when it got announced because I didn't have an Xbox One but is this getting a physical release too or just digital?

Moon wants to do a physical release but it's up to Microsoft. I believe they're pushing for it, but nothing has been announced yet.

MissChief

I just hope they fix the controller issues on windows 10. Even with the official drivers, the right trigger isn't working properly

Miletius

I'm really looking forward to the definitive edition. I have the main game but am holding off playing it because of the announcement. I hope "soon" means really soon.

W.S.

At this point just upgrade to the One/PC version whenever you get the chance to, I feel like a 360 version wouldn't really do it justice.

TaterTots

Banned
I completely missed this news. Ori was the last game I beat several months ago. Its fantastic. Anyone who missed out should give it a shot.

wouwie

Since it is intended to come out before the end of the year, i hope we'll have some news and details on the definitive edition soon. I feel a strong urge to replay the game once more (3rd time) before the end of the year but i'm holding out for this version.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm sure thomasmahler is still busy at the game awards, but maaaaaaaan, seeing Ori win that award reminded me that we still haven't heard anything new on this yet. I really want it.

Sorry for the bump.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I really love this game and it is one of my favorite games of this year, but Windows 10? Really? Thanks, but nope.

jonjonaug

Wtf is this shit? A game getting a Win 10 port = a no buy?

You realize the game is already on Steam, right?

I think he thinks it'll only be playable on Windows 10. I'm pretty sure that actually means some kind of app store that's built into Windows 10. I don't see why it wouldn't still be playable on Windows 7.

Head.spawn

I think he thinks it'll only be playable on Windows 10. I'm pretty sure that actually means some kind of app store that's built into Windows 10. I don't see why it wouldn't still be playable on Windows 7.

Well yeah, the way I understand it is the Xbox One and Steam versions will have upgrade paths; the Windows 10 (Windows Store) version is a new port.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
A game getting a Win 10 port = a no buy?
Yes, no buy for me, especially if it will only be playable on Windows 10 - I have no desire to install this piece of shit on my PC even if it will be offered to me for free.

You realize the game is already on Steam, right?
Steam? What is this?))))))))))))

I've purchased the game on Steam day 1 and finished it 5 times already.

Yes, no buy for me, especially if it will only be playable on Windows 10 - I have no desire to install this piece of shit on my PC even if it will be offered to me for free.

Steam? What is this?))))))))))))

I've purchased the game on Steam day 1 and finished it 5 times already.

You'll have to install Windows 10 sooner or later. DX12 is Win10 only, so you have no choice if you want to play new games in the future.

Mivey

Would surprise me if they lock users of Windows 7 out. Still has a sizable market share on Steam, would only hurt themselves. Also, Unity does not yet support DX12, right? So how would that even work, I don't see a small indie studio porting Unity to DX12. Also, why would they even need a low-level API that is just going to be more work for them?

Games can support older versions of DX so that's not completely true.

They can, but they won't. There are already plenty of games that are DX11 only, and there will be plenty of games that will be DX12 only in the future. Eventually all AAA games (and most likely all games using DX) will only support a DX version that is Win10 exclusive.

Aklamarth

family_guy said:
Games can support older versions of DX

And the irony here is that DX12 is a few months old already and there isn't a single fucking game out that properly supports it. The sooner DX12 becomes the default, the better.

Btw all i want to definitive edition is support for 21:9 aspect ratios. Its pathetic to have a UW monitor and still be confined to 16:9.

They can, but they won't. There are already plenty of games that are DX11 only, and there will be plenty of games that will be DX12 only in the future. Eventually all AAA games (and most likely all games using DX) will only support a DX version that is Win10 exclusive.

I think the market will dictate that for a bit longer though so there's no reason to rush to upgrade to Windows 10. Even if it's free to upgrade to Windows 10, there's still very little people that have DX12 cards.

Regarding Windows 10, I think what the materials mean is that it'll better support Windows 10. I believe Ori has had W10 issues in the past, so a fix for those problems would be great.

Though, I've played this on W10 for 3 months now and never had any issues at all. Actually, almost all of my games are working better in W10.

Top Bottom