• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I'm going to say it here: The Definitive Edition needs to have an achievement for .... wait for it .... a ZERO DEATH RUN UNDER 3 HOURS WITH NO SAVES!

That's right, you heard me, no saving and quitting out of the game to erase deaths. Maybe extend the time to 4 hours if the new areas are super big.

You could make it a "challenge" on Xbox One rather than an achievement so that achievement hunters don't get their panties in a twist, but man it would be so awesome to have that as a badge of honor for only the most faithful, dedicated, and skilled Ori fans.

Thomas, I'm looking at you man.

On a side note, I am glad this came out on Steam. Console wars aside, as many people as possible need to play Ori.

It's coming:

Cannot. Wait. Well, I CAN technically, but I don't want to!

Did a Podcast regarding Ori's story with Josh Hillyer:

http://digitalwrites.libsyn.com/

Should shed some light on our process :)

This will be listened to this evening. :)

Release Date is still the Holiday Season. If you already own Blind Forest, you'll only play a very small upgrade fee to get the Definitive Edition with all its new content :)

Unexpected! I'd pay $20 all over again for it, but I'll take it lol. This should help quiet some of the naysayers about the definitive edition being released so soon after the original.

Incredible.

I'm huge huge huge metroidvania fan. If I'd made a top100 goat list it would probably have 10-15 metroidvanias. I just can't get enough of them.

But Ori... I'm speechless. Only Super Metroid surpasses it. It was so good! Better than SotN, Zero Mission, Guacamelee etc.

Such an emotional, beautiful, gorgeous game. The soundtrack alone is worth it. But then add everything else like the graphics, the gameplay, great powerups, smart saving system.

This is my GotY atm and it will be high on the GoAT list too.

And there's already definite edition coming? Can't wait. Really can't!

Another convert, hehe.

jfoul

I finally got around to playing this game, and unfortunately this game on PC has a weird controller bug. Input is constantly going left, making the game totally unplayable. I searched around and found other people having the same issue, but I haven't been able to fix it.

I've tried two XB1 controllers, one X360 controller, reinstalled the drivers, and made sure no controller mapping software is running or installed.

Bummer.

I finally got around to playing this game, and unfortunately this game on PC has a weird controller bug. Input is constantly going left, making the game totally unplayable. I searched around and found other people having the same issue, but I haven't been able to fix it.

I've tried two XB1 controllers, one X360 controller, reinstalled the drivers, and made sure no controller mapping software is running or installed.

Bummer.

It's the Windows 10 / XboxOne Controller bug every Unity game has at the moment, but I think we recently found a solution:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/261570/discussions/0/530646080866733155/

nib95

Banned
Started the game earlier on the Xbox One. It is aesthetically absolutely stunning, almost mesmerising how pretty it all is. Adore the art direction, and the controls, sound score and overall atmosphere are all really well done.

Edit: I'd love an option to add some opacity to the UI on screen, especially the white circle in the centre bottom of the screen. That's the only bit that won't agree with my VT65 plasma for extended hours of play!

RoKKeR

Started the game earlier on the Xbox One. It is aesthetically absolutely stunning, almost mesmerising how pretty it all is. Adore the art direction, and the controls, sound score and overall atmosphere are all really well done.

You're in for one hell of a treat. Still my frontrunner for GoTY.

Thomas, any word on the Definitive Edition? Haven't heard anything recently.

nib95

Banned
You're in for one hell of a treat. Still my frontrunner for GoTY.

Just stopped playing after a 3-4 hour stint. So far I am seriously impressed. Seems to marry a multitude of different ideas, some familiar to the genre and others more unique, which come together to make things feel fresh, exciting and surprisingly creative. My only worry is that the game might end up getting uncompromisingly difficult later down the line. It's already requiring a fair degree of multi tasking and timing expertise, and I've only just got past the Ginso Tree! Then again, that's a good thing, as it's getting harder and harder to find genuinely challenging games these days.

My only real complaints so far are that sometimes I don't feel the wall climbing registers perfectly (now and again off of logs and things of that nature), and often times the gameplay can be a bit trial and error based. Other times on rare occasion things can feel a little cheap, e.g. a concrete block dropping on your head out of nowhere for an insta death. But otherwise so far it really is a wonderful, captivating and truly beautiful experience.

TheYanger

Just stopped playing after a 3-4 hour stint. So far I am seriously impressed. Seems to marry a multitude of different ideas, some familiar to the genre and others more unique, which come together to make things feel fresh, exciting and surprisingly creative. My only worry is that the game might end up getting uncompromisingly difficult later down the line. It's already requiring a fair degree of multi tasking and timing expertise, and I've only just got past the Ginso Tree! Then again, that's a good thing, as it's getting harder and harder to find genuinely challenging games these days.

My only real complaints so far are that sometimes I don't feel the wall climbing registers perfectly (now and again off of logs and things of that nature), and often times the gameplay can be a bit trial and error based. Other times on rare occasion things can feel a little cheap, e.g. a concrete block dropping on your head out of nowhere for an insta death. But otherwise so far it really is a wonderful, captivating and truly beautiful experience.

If you can beat the Ginso Tree you can beat the game easily. I wouldn't say it doesn't get harder, but it progresses your skills at a similar rate, that's probably the first 'hard' part of the game and onyl a few more will test you like that, at least in terms of being forced to become significantly better than you might have been.

nib95

Banned
If you can beat the Ginso Tree you can beat the game easily. I wouldn't say it doesn't get harder, but it progresses your skills at a similar rate, that's probably the first 'hard' part of the game and onyl a few more will test you like that, at least in terms of being forced to become significantly better than you might have been.

Cool. I'm seriously enjoying the game so far. Though I'm not quite as big a fan of this Misty Woods location as some of the other areas. Graphics and art direction continue to stun me.

nib95

Banned
So I just finished the game, took me around 12 hours not including the time I left the game running whilst eating or doing other random things. Managed to collect all the Life Cells, and nearly everything else too.

Whilst there were elements of the game I disliked, or found highly frustrating, overall it was a magnificent experience. Truly wonderful. Creative, precise, fantastic to control, immensely fun, emotionally resonant and captivatingly beautiful. I'd go as far as to say it was one of the best platform adventure games I've had the pleasure of playing. The ending was also perfect. It's rare that a game ends on such a poignant but still subtle note.

I'd probably give it between a 9 and 9.5 out of 10. A definite must buy.

So I just finished the game, took me around 12 hours not including the time I left the game running whilst eating or doing other random things. Managed to collect all the Life Cells, and nearly everything else too.

Whilst there were elements of the game I disliked, or found highly frustrating, overall it was a magnificent experience. Truly wonderful. Creative, precise, fantastic to control, immensely fun, emotionally resonant and captivatingly beautiful. I'd go as far as to say it was one of the best platform adventure games I've had the pleasure of playing. The ending was also perfect. It's rare that a game ends on such a poignant but still subtle note.

I'd probably give it between a 9 and 9.5 out of 10. A definite must buy.

Glad you had a good time :)

I'd love for you to list a few more of the things you disliked - I think there's a very good chance we ironed out everything you didn't like in the Definitive Edition, but I'd still be interested to know! :)

Well, we're playtesting like crazy right now :D

And we're quite proud of all the stuff we added! We invited some of the crazy speedrunners out there to also help playtesting and provide feedback - I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it, I'm pretty sure we addressed every single one of the critiques that people brought up and added a whole slew of new features and things people requested, so I hope that even those that played Ori already will have a super amazing time playing the Definitive Edition :)

nib95

Banned
Glad you had a good time :)

I'd love for you to list a few more of the things you disliked - I think there's a very good chance we ironed out everything you didn't like in the Definitive Edition, but I'd still be interested to know! :)

No problem. These are mostly minor nitpicks mind, overall as I mentioned above, I thought it was an incredible game.

Off the top of my head, some negatives.

- I found the wall jumping hit detection was off on a few rare instances
- I dislike the fact that stomp is assigned to down on the stick. I accidentally pressed it way too many times.
- Perhaps the wall grab/climb and leaf glide abilities could be assigned to different buttons, because now and again you'll be gliding down, but because you've just clipped the side of a wall you'll stick to it instead of continuing your glide.
- The segment where you're escaping the wind, I didn't feel the cannons that blasted the weird ice energy gave enough aesthetic messaging before firing. With all the other elements and effects going on screen, the pre gas warning is barely perceivable or visible.
- Because a lot of the Health/Ability etc cells and orbs are only available when you gain future skills, a lot of time and deaths are as a result of otherwise fruitless experimentation. Not sure how you might rectify that.
- A few of the instances where a random block or whatever falls on your head out of nowhere, can lend to cheap deaths. If perhaps there was some pre-warning that a particular area was more precarious in that regard, it might help prevent being caught completely off guard.
- Trial and error gameplay is I suppose part and parcel of this kind of genre, so that's not really something that requires fixing per se.

dLMN8R

So should I play on playing through Ori from the beginning again when the Definitive Edition comes out? Or will the new stuff be discoverable from an existing save?

I'm hoping I have a good excuse to play from the beginning :-D

RoKKeR

And we're quite proud of all the stuff we added! We invited some of the crazy speedrunners out there to also help playtesting and provide feedback - I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it, I'm pretty sure we addressed every single one of the critiques that people brought up and added a whole slew of new features and things people requested, so I hope that even those that played Ori already will have a super amazing time playing the Definitive Edition :)

Great. Any release window? I know you guys have said this year but the weeks are running out! Been wanting to hop back in and run through this game again, so I'm looking forward to the DE being out.

Also - has Gareth recorded any new music for the DE?

You guys are the best. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I hope you can keep most of the crew from Ori on for any future endeavors. So looking forward to getting my hands on the DE.

Better not be too easy! ;p

Great. Any release window? I know you guys have said this year but the weeks are running out! Been wanting to hop back in and run through this game again, so I'm looking forward to the DE being out.
Same, I'm really looking forward to it! I recommend this game to everyone lol, but since they announced the Definitive Edition, I tell people to just hold off until then.

Seriously can't wait for it! Ori is one of my favorite games this gen.

valeo

After several months, I am finally up to what I assume is the last part of the game (Mount Horu)

I don't finish many games (I don't have the time) but Ori has kept me coming back. Terrific game.

Violet_0

Banned
finally got around to playing and finishing this game, I quite like it. Some random thoughts:

the map is a bit too fractured and there are too many dead ends for my taste. Many of the outer areas are only accessible by one or two paths. You can never really go wrong with more shortcuts and a more interconnected overworld

even though it makes sense in the context of the story, I'd have liked to see more brighter, friendly areas. A large part of the map is underground or spooky forest, but I prefer the look of the more memorable, eye-catching parts like the waterfall area of the swamp or the mountain peak, of which there aren't many

pity that there aren't really any boss fights, but that was probably a budget issue. I didn't mind it much

the escape sequences can be a bit annoying because of the trial-and-error gameplay. The last escape was particularly bad about is, there are too many instant-deaths and you can't really react to them unless you memorize everything

areas with collectibles that can't be accessed again later on in the game are a big no-go in Metroidvanias, in my humble opinion

http://www.gamesradar.com/ori-and-blind-forest-wins-best-audio-golden-joystick-awards/
http://www.gamesradar.com/ori-and-blind-forest-best-xbox-game-2015-golden-joystick-awards/

We are all going crazy here seeing Ori win Best Xbox Game 2015 and Best Audio on the Golden Joystick Awards.

Thanks so so much to everyone of you who have voted for Ori and supported us. We absolutely can't wait to get the Definitive Edition into everyones hands!

Congrats. You deserve all the accolades for sure.

Fardeen

i cant wait to play this definitive edition, could u please tell me if i could upgrade to the definitive edition even if i got the game as a gift on steam?

RoKKeR

Congrats to Tom and the team for being nominated in 4 categories at the Game Awards. Pretty impressive stuff, hopefully it can take home a win in one of them! Still my front-runner GOTY so I'm glad it's getting some positive run at the end of the year.

Congrats to Tom and the team for being nominated in 4 categories at the Game Awards. Pretty impressive stuff, hopefully it can take home a win in one of them! Still my front-runner GOTY so I'm glad it's getting some positive run at the end of the year.

Thank you :)

I hope we'll win some, too! :)

We're currently playtesting the DE and I can't wait to hear what you guys think about it - Personally, I think it gave Ori a whole new twist, the new abilities that you can get are seamlessly integrated into the game and let you go through everything in a whole new way.

And then there's more stuff going on in the backgorund at Moon that'll be fun to talk about at some point... ;)

Lima

Any word on the date of the DE edition?

Also will it have a separate achievement list Thomas or will new achievements be added to the existing list maybe?

We're currently playtesting the DE and I can't wait to hear what you guys think about it - Personally, I think it gave Ori a whole new twist, the new abilities that you can get are seamlessly integrated into the game and let you go through everything in a whole new way.

And then there's more stuff going on in the backgorund at Moon that'll be fun to talk about at some point... ;)

Please let there be a sequel. Please.

As long as Gareth Coker is involved in some way, I'm in. His soundtrack for this game was breathtaking, and I need to hear more of his work.

RoKKeR

Aw yeah, pretty hyped for the DE and what else is to come from you guys!

Please more Ori!
Although if you guys choose to go the new IP route I'm sure it will be worth waiting for.

As long as Gareth Coker is involved in some way, I'm in. His soundtrack for this game was breathtaking, and I need to hear more of his work.

Gareth will probably do the scores for all of our games, but I'm pretty sure at some point he'll become the next Thomas Newman and will be super busy with Hollywood signing him up for stuff all the time :)

Aw yeah, pretty hyped for the DE and what else is to come from you guys!

Please more Ori!
Although if you guys choose to go the new IP route I'm sure it will be worth waiting for.

Wait and see! :) We already have projects and prototypes for the next decade mapped out (I know it's a bit nutty to talk about the next 10 years when it comes to tech, but we already have 3 prototype projects we definitely want to make and these things take some time to pull off...).

I think the next couple of years will be super, super interesting for Moon - Ori was our first 'little' step, but we definitely want to improve even more from here on out and the stuff we're creating on a daily basis now is pretty dang cool! And I'll guarantee you guys that we'll stick to our quality standard and will only release games when we think they're masterpieces :)

Our team has grown a bit as well, we hired quite a few unique talents that previously worked at Unity, Blizzard, Ubisoft and the likes - Exciting times ahead, we want Moon to become what Blizzard was before WoW made them huge :)

Wait and see! :) We already have projects and prototypes for the next decade mapped out (I know it's a bit nutty to talk about the next 10 years when it comes to tech, but we already have 3 prototype projects we definitely want to make and these things take some time to pull off...).

I think the next couple of years will be super, super interesting for Moon - Ori was our first 'little' step, but we definitely want to improve even more from here on out and the stuff we're creating on a daily basis now is pretty dang cool! And I'll guarantee you guys that we'll stick to our quality standard and will only release games when we think they're masterpieces :)

Our team has grown a bit as well, we hired quite a few unique talents that previously worked at Unity, Blizzard, Ubisoft and the likes - Exciting times ahead, we want Moon to become what Blizzard was before WoW made them huge :)

Can I come work for you? I'll make tea.

I would work for Moon Studios in a New York minute. Can't WAIT for the definitive edition. Listening to Gareth's masterful soundtrack while flying to visit family atm.

Prob still fine tuning and looking for bugs. They caught a lot of flak for the game breaking glitch when Ori launched even though it was relatively uncommon. I'm fine with them taking their time :).

Plus it would get buried in a sea of new releases. Best to release it in Jan/Feb after the rush.

lt519

Thomas, congrats on all the critical acclaim you've been receiving in awards so far. It's amazing considering you had an early year release (the press have memories like gold fish)! I can't wait for the DE and will be there day one to experience it all over again. I expect a strong showing in the GAF GOTY thread too! Still have my vote.

wouwie

Since last playing Ori, i have upgraded my pc to Windows 10. So i thought i'd setup my system again (i rarely play on pc) in time for the definitive edition.

But now i have a problem: just after acquiring the ability to attack (X), my xbox360 wireless controller (which has new batteries, iirc) turns off completely which means i keep running into one direction. Basically, the game is unplayable. I saw something similar mentioned in the patch notes for the Xbox One controller (keep running in the same direction) so i was wondering if this is a known issue with the game, xbox360 wireless controller and windows 10?

TripOpt55

When I bought an Xbox One, this was one of the game I wanted to grab first. But I had decided to hold out for the Definitive Edition. Well I finally just grabbed the regular version when it was on sale and am so glad I did. Just a wonderful game.

The controls are really tight and the platforming is very challenging. I don't think of Metroidvania games like this as having great platforming, but it was really fantastic here. The bash move in particular was utilized really well and I am always a sucker for little parasail items like the Paraglider in Sly Cooper and the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker, so that was really cool. And the level designs are superb. I thought perhaps when I got more moves, it would make traversal too easy, but they keep stepping up the level designs. I also loved how there were dungeons. Gave it kind of a Zelda feel.

The story was really touching. The visuals are just breathtaking. And the soundtrack was so damn good. It had some small issues here and there, but a great overall package. One of my favorite games this year.

RoKKeR

If the DE doesn't make a surprise release this week, I doubt we are getting it this year. That's alright, but the radio silence since the announcement has been a bit disappointing. I'm still very excited to replay this game. Still my frontrunner for GoTY and I don't think anything will top it for me at this point.

Sorry guys, but I can't officially say anything yet about the release date - We need to wait for Microsoft to give us the go-ahead. We're super sorry about the delay, but we added even more content and polish than originally planned, so there's an upside there :)

Also, a note regarding the DE: If you get Blind Forest during this years Christmas Sales and you want DE, you'll still be better off getting the original and paying the upgrade price vs. just buying it straight out, so don't worry about holding back. Thought I should pop in here and clear this up :)

Again, sorry for the silence, but as you guys know, we have to always wait for MS when it comes to the talking about nitty gritty stuff like release dates.

Sorry guys, but I can't officially say anything yet about the release date - We need to wait for Microsoft to give us the go-ahead. We're super sorry about the delay, but we added even more content and polish than originally planned, so there's an upside there :)

Also, a note regarding the DE: If you get Blind Forest during this years Christmas Sales and you want DE, you'll still be better off getting the original and paying the upgrade price vs. just buying it straight out, so don't worry about holding back. Thought I should pop in here and clear this up :)

Again, sorry for the silence, but as you guys know, we have to always wait for MS when it comes to the talking about nitty gritty stuff like release dates.

As much as i'd like a release date I'm a bit confused as to why (presumably because of MS) nothing has been specifically detailed or shown of the new content... I think that would satisfy people a bit but instead we've seen/heard nothing :/

Im not sure what they're waiting for... its been 4 months since Gamescom and I'm sure you guys are super busy working hard to make it awesome (which I like <3) but I'm surprised there has been no attempt at some marketing unless I missed it all

You and the folks at Moon have nothing to apologize for, nothing at all. You don't owe anyone anything, and the DE will come out whenever it comes out. We'll love it no matter when that is!

On a side note, I'm hoping to make Ori: DE the game that I use to land on 500,000 Gamerscore, with 100% completion on every game on my tag. I can't think of a better game to do it with!

I may try to land on it exactly with 500 games played too, but that's a bit more of a pickle because of all the title update achievements that show up on Xbox One games. I'm at just under 470,000 currently, with 463 games on my tag, so I have my work cut out for me over the next month or two, lol. I'll most likely have to play it on my KorbeKGaming gamertag, because I won't want to wait until I can get my main tag up to 499,000, then play the DE again on my main tag for the finish!

As much as i'd like a release date I'm a bit confused as to why (presumably because of MS) nothing has been specifically detailed or shown of the new content... I think that would satisfy people a bit but instead we've seen/heard nothing :/

Im not sure what they're waiting for... its been 4 months since Gamescom and I'm sure you guys are super busy working hard to make it awesome (which I like <3) but I'm surprised there has been no attempt at some marketing unless I missed it all

Microsoft factors in a lot more than just Ori when it comes to deciding how/when to market Ori. They've been pushing Halo 5 and the Gears bundle HARD this holiday, as well as trying to push Tomb Raider (since they paid for temporary exclusivity and all).

That's to say nothing of all the big AAA third-party releases like the annual sports rehashes, Blops 3, Star Wars, Fallout, etc that have been releasing in the holiday crunch.

It wouldn't make much sense to push Ori heavily alongside all of this. It would get drowned out in the sea of noise, despite being a far better game than everything I just mentioned, especially in our current climate where so many gamers are like "what, it's not a AAA game? fuck off".

Better to wait until after all these heavy hitters peter out a bit before pushing Ori. My money is on a February release. January is usually a bad month for releases because people glutted themselves on new games around Christmas and aren't in the market.

Microsoft factors in a lot more than just Ori when it comes to deciding how/when to market Ori. They've been pushing Halo 5 and the Gears bundle HARD this holiday, as well as trying to push Tomb Raider (since they paid for temporary exclusivity and all).

That's to say nothing of all the big AAA third-party releases like the annual sports rehashes, Blops 3, Star Wars, Fallout, etc that have been releasing in the holiday crunch.

It wouldn't make much sense to push Ori heavily alongside all of this. It would get drowned out in the sea of noise, despite being a far better game than everything I just mentioned, especially in our current climate where so many gamers are like "what, it's not a AAA game? fuck off".

Better to wait until after all these heavy hitters peter out a bit before pushing Ori. My money is on a February release. January is usually a bad month for releases because people glutted themselves on new games around Christmas and aren't in the market.

Im not saying Ori should get spots on TV with expensive marketing, I dont see how Gears or Halo are relevant in this scenario, you can do plenty of marketing these days without spending tens of millions of dollar on it.

A video or two maybe a short dev diary, Xbox Wire/blog post detailing the additions/fixes/upgrade price with a few screenshots would suffice and be better than "hey we announced this awesome upgrade to one of the years best games 4 months ago but we're not going to say or show anything of it" and they were the ones that said holiday 2015, so they cant have been that concerned with all the other games due out.

Also they stuck Ori in a ton of their holiday bundles so i'd say it was pretty important on that front

Im not saying Ori should get spots on TV with expensive marketing, I dont see how Gears or Halo are relevant in this scenario, you can do plenty of marketing these days without spending tens of millions of dollar on it.

A video or two maybe a short dev diary, Xbox Wire/blog post detailing the additions/fixes/upgrade price with a few screenshots would suffice and be better than "hey we announced this awesome upgrade to one of the years best games 4 months ago but we're not going to say or show anything of it" and they were the ones that said holiday 2015, so they cant have been that concerned with all the other games due out.

Also they stuck Ori in a ton of their holiday bundles so i'd say it was pretty important on that front

I hear your frustration, I really do. But these things often aren't in our hands - We have a plan for when to show the new stuff and we just have to stick to it. What lifeexpectancy was saying is true, there's a lot of factors that go into making these sorta decisions and even though I'd love to just record a couple of videos and show you guys everything about Definitive Edition, I ask you to be a little more patient and give us a tad more time. Trust me, it'll be worth it! :)

Apart from that, the Definitive Edition is our farewell to Ori and the Blind Forest (before you guys ask about the possibility of a sequel, I mean the original game here, we don't have anything to announce apart from that), so we're also very conscious of wanting to ship it in an as perfect a state as possible so that you could still enjoy the game 10 years down the road with all the little imperfections ironed out. Additional to the new content, we listened to practically every single bit of feedback we got from our fans and added tons of new features that give the Definitive Edition a whole new touch and up the quality level quite a bit. So I hope even though we have to shut our mouths form time to time, you'll give it a shot when it's released!

I hear your frustration, I really do. But these things often aren't in our hands - We have a plan for when to show the new stuff and we just have to stick to it. What lifeexpectancy was saying is true, there's a lot of factors that go into making these sorta decisions and even though I'd love to just record a couple of videos and show you guys everything about Definitive Edition, I ask you to be a little more patient and give us a tad more time. Trust me, it'll be worth it! :)

Apart from that, the Definitive Edition is our farewell to Ori and the Blind Forest (before you guys ask about the possibility of a sequel, I mean the original game here, we don't have anything to announce apart from that), so we're also very conscious of wanting to ship it in an as perfect a state as possible so that you could still enjoy the game 10 years down the road with all the little imperfections ironed out. Additional to the new content, we listened to practically every single bit of feedback we got from our fans and added tons of new features that give the Definitive Edition a whole new touch and up the quality level quite a bit. So I hope even though we have to shut our mouths form time to time, you'll give it a shot when it's released!

I loved the game when it came out so I am definitely in for more and I will be doing my best to get all my friends to upgrade as well hehe!

I was mainly aiming my comments at MS rather than you guys, I can't wait to see what else you are planning for the future I will clear my schedule when DE does come out :)

Oh I wasn't even necessarily referring to expensive marketing. I'll give you an example. I'm a newshound on TrueAchievements, and sometimes we'll have 10 or 15 news stories in the queue. Before, if someone proofread and released them all, they would all just dump on the home page unceremoniously, at the same time. This would lead to a lot of the 'smaller' stories getting completely ignored. People would see a *shudder* Destiny (can't say that name without a bad taste in my mouth) headline, and immediately gravitate to that. So the news about neat, innovative new indies coming out would go largely ignored. So we made a change that basically does a timed release of the articles once they've been approved, so that we don't dump a bunch at the same time. It gives the smaller stuff more visibility.

If MS puts out a blog or video of Ori right now, almost everyone will ignore it. Oct/Nov/Dec are akin to a large story dump for us. They're the three busiest months of the year for gaming purchases, and the only other crazy time is the week or so surrounding E3. Sure, Ori fans would eat it up if info were released today. I'd probably watch it 100 times myself. But the average person would gloss right past it, scanning for the 'big news' headlines, like holiday price drops, or whether MS or Sony "won" the NPDs for November. Gamers in general have been trained to care more about spectacle than about special. Ori is special, so if/when they decide to start releasing information about it, I'm sure it will be at a time when some of the noise of the seasonal crunch has died down. For that, I'm actually grateful.

*Entitled gamer voice* You better not abandon my Ori!!! Screw you guys for moving on, trying to make money. I demand you spend the next two decades releasing an annualized Ori series!
This wasn't aimed at you Steve, just a joke in general

Oh no, wait, that's all wrong. Yeah, I'll be watching out for anything you guys do in the future, Ori related or otherwise. Stick to your guns when it comes to focusing on quality over quantity. Ori showed just how refreshing that can be. I'm not saying that some of the issues people had like broken saves or backtracking weren't somewhat valid (even though backtracking didn't feel needed, for me at least). Just saying that Moon Studios crafted an amazing work of art, and you did it going directly against what has become somewhat of an industry mantra of "release first, fix later" marginal changes on tired formulas like, oh, just about every FPS game.

Ricker

Love the graphics and music and all but I cant play this game...the floaty controls kill me,literally lol,die rinse and repeat...not for me anymore,oh well.

Love the graphics and music and all but I cant play this game...the floaty controls kill me,literally lol,die rinse and repeat...not for me anymore,oh well.

Floaty? The game has incredibly tight controls. I think there is a good chance you're dealing with some type of input lag.

dLMN8R

I thought Ori had unresponsive controls until I realized I had accidentally set my TV to Cinema mode instead of Game mode, which introduced a ton of input lag. Once switching it back it was completely perfect.

Top Bottom