• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

iBlue

Just finished this amazing game, its one of my favorite Indie games for sure. The soundtrack is just amazing it fits perfectly with the game.

One question Does Ori
Die at the end?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it after chipping away at it over the past week or so. I liked it a lot overall, despite not really being much into platformers anymore. The difficulty was a tad high for my liking as I mostly game to relax, but I got through most parts with relatively little frustration. I didn't care for the escapes though as they were basically lengthy trial and error with no checkpoints which is a pet peeve of mine.

I beat it in just under ten hours with 96% map completion. No interest in the definitive edition. Too much in the backlog and I didn't like it enough to want more of it.

Just wanted to share this stuff in case people haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lacaCa5quks

And this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esINjqEeqGQ&feature=youtu.be

Love it!

Dang it! Welling up again. There's somethingabout the Light of Nibel track that just pulls at my heatstrings and makes me emotional, even independent of the game. Gareth is a musical genius. He deserves all the work he ever wants in scoring and composition until he retires someday, ALL of it. Companies need to call him first before even considering anyone else.

Well, after 10 months I've finally started and finished the game. What a fantastic ride - those chase sequences were something else.

Bring on the physical Definitive Edition!

"Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark" (the Ginsu Tree escape sequence) is becoming one of my favorite video game tracks of all time. I just can't stop listening to it.

ArjanN

I've been playing a second run, I was determined to 100% it.

I missed a missable energy cell.

Goddamnit. That shit just fucking sucks. Get a clue devs.

That's why I was waiting for the Definitive Edition. Well, that and the extra content.

Randam

wow, this game is making me angry.

how do the white platforms in the misty woods work which appear and disappear at random as it seems?

wow, this game is making me angry.

how do the white platforms in the misty woods work which appear and disappear at random as it seems?

They switch on/off each time you jump as others have said. There's one specific part that I bet you're struggling with. When crossing to the right through vertical green insta-death walls of fire/energy/whatever, there's a white platform just after the solid ground in the middle. You need to jump toward it when its flame is there to make the flame disappear and the platform appear. Then, then next green wall of flame needs to be deactivated.

But if you try to JUMP off your current white platform, you get insta killed. Instead, FALL off your current one so the flames dont appear right away, THEN use your double jump inmid air to deactivate the green flames ahead of you and make the next white platform appear. :)

Skux

Are the achievements glitched on Steam? They say I haven't killed any enemies using the stomp or charge attacks but I definitely have...

Skux

Just finished and it's such a great game. Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify right now and I'll go back to get all the collectibles soon.

Do people really call this game hard? I found the challenge level perfect. Escaping the first tree took a few tries but it was so exciting getting a little bit further each time, and soooo satisfying when I finally got it. Thankfully you can save almost anywhere and there's no loading delay if you die.

bumpkin

WTF? You can't go back into a completed save to get collectibles?
NOPE! Isn't that awesome?

Sorry, still a li'l bitter that I was only missing 1 life cell and 3 energy cells and have no interest in replaying the entire game (and collecting EVERYTHING) just to get the achievements.

"Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark" (the Ginsu Tree escape sequence) is becoming one of my favorite video game tracks of all time. I just can't stop listening to it.
I'd love that track without the awful memories of trying to get through that hellish sequence. It was the hardest escape in the entire game, by far.

Skux

NOPE! Isn't that awesome?

Sorry, still a li'l bitter that I was only missing 1 life cell and 3 energy cells and have no interest in replaying the entire game (and collecting EVERYTHING) just to get the achievements.

Neither do I. I thought the feature was standard in these types of games :( Hopefully the definitive edition addresses this.

Neither do I. I thought the feature was standard in these types of games :( Hopefully the definitive edition addresses this.

It will be. I'd bet all my gaming stuff on it (except my Ori controller & print). Thomas has said numerous times that players' biggest concerns have been heard loud & clear and fixed in the DE. This is easily players' biggest complaint. Personally it didnt bother me a bit since you can 100% the game in 3 hrs easily once you've finished it once or twice, but lots of people were upset about it.

Not being able to go back into the dungeons was one of those things that was planned, but we couldn't pull it off anymore - it'd have required too much work and resources when we were already over budget and out of time. But yeah, we fixed this for the Definitive Edition. And since people constantly ask, yes, there'll be fast-travel too - You'll be able to Fast Travel from any Spirit Well to any other as long as you reached them once :)

In general, we read through every single bit of criticism that people had and I'm fairly sure we addressed all of it, so we're hoping if you liked Ori, you'll love the DE. There's new content, new abilities, more story exposure and many, many other things - we almost spent another year on it now and really hope you guys will agree that we did a pretty damn good job, hehe :)

Not being able to go back into the dungeons was one of those things that was planned, but we couldn't pull it off anymore - it'd have required too much work and resources when we were already over budget and out of time. But yeah, we fixed this for the Definitive Edition. And since people constantly ask, yes, there'll be fast-travel too - You'll be able to Fast Travel from any Spirit Well to any other as long as you reached them once :)

In general, we read through every single bit of criticism that people had and I'm fairly sure we addressed all of it, so we're hoping if you liked Ori, you'll love the DE. There's new content, new abilities, more story exposure and many, many other things - we almost spent another year on it now and really hope you guys will agree that we did a pretty damn good job, hehe :)

Not a single doubt in my mind. The only thing better than Ori is more Ori!

So... where is it?

y5GKqwU.gif

ArjanN

Stuck at 99% in Moon Grotto for over an hour now :( what am I missing?

Great game btw, I just feel happy every time I turn it on ^-^

There's collectible maps around online. Some stuff behind fake walls and such is very hard to find by yourself, especially if you don''t have the upgrades that show you secrets in the world.

Sometimes you literally just have to walk around every corner and jump to fill up the map. Wasn't a fan of 'stone unturned' progress on the maps

If you have the secret upgrades then maybe they'll show something.

The progress tracker doesn't go up if you reveal an area without actually entering it fully. The ability that shows secrets on the map is actually a hinderance toward this achievement, because there are 'secret' rooms that will show up, but that don't have secret items that are actually shown on the map, leading the player to never bother entering them.

I would advise re-entering all the smaller secret areas (false walls) and rooms on the map that look like secret rooms but that don't have any ability/energy/life cells in them. That's what worked for me. There's a video on my youtube of all 43 of the game's secret areas. Just search KorbeKGaming Ori on YT to find it.

Hey Tom i got this on PC but i'm getting the whole "Ori keeps walking left even though nothing is pressed" bug - both with KBM and controller. I did a search and saw a few solutions but wasn't able to get them to work. I don't have vJoy installed and i rebooted the drivers and everything.

And I was all hyped to play without sitting on the couch riiiiip

Hey Tom i got this on PC but i'm getting the whole "Ori keeps walking left even though nothing is pressed" bug - both with KBM and controller. I did a search and saw a few solutions but wasn't able to get them to work. I don't have vJoy installed and i rebooted the drivers and everything.

And I was all hyped to play without sitting on the couch riiiiip

Send a mail to feedback@moongamestudios.com - Maybe our tech guys can help out. Also mention which controller you're using! I thought this bug was fixed a long time ago - Did you get all the updates from Steam?

It might be that the threshold on your sticks in vJoy isn't quite correct - check that, too!

Also updating here: The Definitive Edition of Ori and the Blind Forest will release on March 11 on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam :)

Can't wait to see your guys reactions when you finally get to play it! :)

Also updating here: The Definitive Edition of Ori and the Blind Forest will release on March 11 on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam :)

Can't wait to see your guys reactions when you finally get to play it! :)

Just came here to post this! Cannot wait. I might just have to buy a dedicated graphics card for my PC so I can stack the Win10 version too!!

I'll be doing another #SpreadTheFeels giveaway for those that are interested. :) :)

Belakor

Banned
Really excellent game,took the definitive edition and although i don't play too many 2d platformers,i've never had so much fun since Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Can't recommend this game enough

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I just placed the lantern down dont know where the entrance to the ruins are.

NM I found it. Was in the corner. thought tha was a dead end.

A8F8CE7D5758BEB2258AE4C07EB2F5396973F017

Top Bottom