• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

RoKKeR

Love the graphics and music and all but I cant play this game...the floaty controls kill me,literally lol,die rinse and repeat...not for me anymore,oh well.

Ori has some of the most precise platformer controls I've ever used... might want to check your TV settings/see if there isn't some sort of input lag happening.

Yeah, I'm always surprised when people tell us that Ori feels floaty - I guess with a 2d platformer, any kind of input lag from your TV will ruin it for ya, so make sure you use the right settings :)

There definitely shouldn't be any lag issues at all.

Ricker

Okay,floaty might not be the exact word...read some of the earlier comments on the game now and I see I am not the only one having problems with the controls...the clinging on walls is a pain most of the time,mashing A is not always responsive,causing many deaths...as for the jumping I will explain at the part I am stuck now...its the first time you see that big purple blob of cotton/spider web goo,near the entrance that the game tells you to press X to open with energy,that you dont have enough of by then...

There is a lever to pull that lifts a plank of wood thats hanging from a rope...a little lower there's a section with those pieces of wood,sticking out of the water and you have to jump on them,while getting shot at by spiders that take half your health if they hit you...combine that with the deadly water,the mashing of A to climb on the plank,which causes you to something jump when you dont want to at the peak,landing you in the water on the other side,or on the bottom of the plank,while shooting to try and kill the spiders...very frustrating...die,rinse and repeat,with respawning hard ennemies to beat all over again.

I knew this game had some hard sections but I didnt think it was a SuperMeatBoy hard game...I will try and push on but yeah unfortunatly,the game may be too hard for me...pretty sure a lot of people never finished the game either,percent must be pretty low.

I knew this game had some hard sections but I didnt think it was a SuperMeatBoy hard game...I will try and push on but yeah unfortunatly,the game may be too hard for me...pretty sure a lot of people never finish the game either,percent must be pretty low.

Actually, the percentage of people who bought Ori that finished it is remarkably high - Last time we checked it was at like 35%, which compared to the industry standard is many times higher than most other games.

Yeah, I'm always surprised when people tell us that Ori feels floaty - I guess with a 2d platformer, any kind of input lag from your TV will ruin it for ya, so make sure you use the right settings :)

There definitely shouldn't be any lag issues at all.

This. I used Ori as the litmus test for input lag in various modes when I bought a new TV. The vast majority of consumer TVs sold these days have massive amounts of input lag due to all the worthless smart features and even more worthess post processing.

If Ori feels floaty, you probably have crap settings on your TV. Or a crap TV.

Actually, the percentage of people who bought Ori that finished it is remarkably high - Last time we checked it was at like 35%, which compared to the industry standard is many times higher than most other games.

That's probably because the industry standard for quality single player games is almost nonexistent. Ori is fun enough to play through to the end that more people actually do it. :)

bumpkin

Bottom left area of the world map.
Thanks! Figures the path forward was like the one place I didn't try going.

What the hell at this game making me feel feels and actually having sympathy for the bad guy, Kuro? That scene where the babies were killed after I awakened the wind, oh man.

Just jumped back into Ori after a few months away and I'm right in the middle of the section that involves using the anti-gravity ball or whatever that thing is. Not the best way to get back into a game that already has a ton of mechanics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the game overall, but there were some decisions that felt really... inexpert. Locking off your save file when you finish the game is insane. I had one health ball and one energy ball left to find, and one more ability left to unlock. I also couldn't get back into the Forlorn Ruins (where I assume those last items were?).

It's a cool game and very pretty and I'd gladly spend the money again (the developers are clearly talented and deserve another shot), but there were some incredibly bizarre decisions throughout. It's a shallow Metroid-esque game, the difficulty is all over the place (and often relies on one-off mechanics that it spends next to no time introducing or arbitrary chase sections you can't save within) and the story felt completely replaceable.

bumpkin

I liked the game overall, but there were some decisions that felt really... inexpert. Locking off your save file when you finish the game is insane. I had one health ball and one energy ball left to find, and one more ability left to unlock. I also couldn't get back into the Forlorn Ruins (where I assume those last items were?).
I didn't even realize it did this until a few minutes ago; I beat the game earlier today, but still had 1 life cell to find and 4 ability cells. It really sucks that I can't play my save anymore to finish finding stuff.

I believe this is something they aim to fix in the Definitive Edition, as well as the ability to re-visit "dungeons."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I believe this is something they aim to fix in the Definitive Edition, as well as the ability to re-visit "dungeons."

will this be a patch for people who already own the game? I didn't realise there was going to be another version. I'd have waited had I known. :(

will this be a patch for people who already own the game? I didn't realise there was going to be another version. I'd have waited had I known. :(

There'll be an upgrade discount, and apparently that + the half off in the current Xbox sale is less than the full price. I wouldn't worry about it.

dLMN8R

]blacky[;190775519 said:
Whit which Metroidvania is Ori comparable? Is the difficulty high enough?

It's a difficult game, but not unfairly so IMO. I don't know what other game I'd compare it to though. It's immensely well-designed, the type of game where backtracking to get powerups never felt like a chore to me since the powerups you get make traversal happen so much more quickly.

Zakalwe

Banned
2 hours in and I think this might be my GOTY, we'll see how that holds up.

Even if my opinion dips after I've finished, I'm really glad I stumbled upon it in the Steam sale list.

zewone

Been playing this game for past couple of days and I'd just like to say that the"escape" sequences at the end of the tree dungeons might be the most annoying/frustrating thing I've played in recent memory.

The game is beautifully designed, but these single portions just sour the experience.

It forces you to learn by trial and error, and typically the problems you run into are a 1-3 minutes after the sequence starts. You only have a few seconds to make a decision or survey the area for the proper solution, this is especially true in the first tree dungeon.

Forcing you to go back and repeat the first minutes of the sequence to get to the point you died ad nauseam. Very annoying.

Other than that, terrific game, but I just needed to vent. The second one at least wasn't as bad as the first, but I wouldn't call either fun.

Been playing this game for past couple of days and I'd just like to say that the"escape" sequences at the end of the tree dungeons might be the most annoying/frustrating thing I've played in recent memory.

The game is beautifully designed, but these single portions just sour the experience.

It forces you to learn by trial and error, and typically the problems you run into are a 1-3 minutes after the sequence starts. You only have a few seconds to make a decision or survey the area for the proper solution, this is especially true in the first tree dungeon.

Forcing you to go back and repeat the first minutes of the sequence to get to the point you died ad nauseam. Very annoying.

Other than that, terrific game, but I just needed to vent. The second one at least wasn't as bad as the first, but I wouldn't call either fun.

Sad that you didn't like it. My first playthrough it took me about 20-30 minutes to complete that sequence, but after I was done, it ended up being one of my favorite parts of any game I've ever played. It's always the first thing I associate to Ori; The music, the challenge, the fear of the water, the amazing reward once you complete it.... It was surreal. Absolutely my favorite part of the game.

The game is gorgeous and I like the general moment to moment gameplay - but good lord are there some poorly thought out challenges through out the experience. The whole saving mechanic is just...

Listen, I get what they are going for. But I just spent the last 30 minutes redoing an incredibly difficult section over and over. Not because I couldn't get through it, but because I didn't have enough energy to save after I did. I had to go deeper into the level trying to kill enemies with limited health and would invariably die. Forcing me to redo the entire thing again. Absolutely maddening.

Those escape bits from the end of dungeons are ridiculous as well. One hit kill trial and error for 30+ minutes till you get the timing exactly right on a mechanic that has only recently been given to you. Oh and did I mention there are hundreds of (very cool) effects going on making it hard to even see what the hell is going on? Could I do it super quickly now? Yeah, I know the path and have much more experience with the mechanic. At the time? Fucking annoying beyond belief.

Also reading that the game locks off areas making it impossible to do a 100% run without reading up on each section first to make sure you don't miss something on your first time around has turned me off from finding any of the collectable content unless it comes up from naturally playing the game.

I reallywant to like this game, but it's trying it's best to get me to just give up on it. I like hard core games too, but for that to be rewarding the rest needs to be firing on all cylinders and Ori, at this point, just doesn't have it.

Just realized I haven't even mentioned how often the game simply refuses to launch in the first place. More often than not I have to restart the entire console and then *immediately* start the game for it to properly load. When I'm already having trouble finding the motivation to keep going with the game, running into bullshit like that makes it all but assured I'll give on this one. This game has been out for ages, how has something that severe not been patched yet?!

My internet's been down most of the day (on mobile atm) so I'm finally getting around to playing this. Outside of the theme sounding extremely similar to FFXIII's theme, I'm loving it so far. Just finished Misty Woods. Wish I could find more health upgrades. I've been stuck at 5 for awhile now and I'm now at 7 or 8 max energy.

The game is gorgeous and I like the general moment to moment gameplay - but good lord are there some poorly thought out challenges through out the experience. The whole saving mechanic is just...

Listen, I get what they are going for. But I just spent the last 30 minutes redoing an incredibly difficult section over and over. Not because I couldn't get through it, but because I didn't have enough energy to save after I did. I had to go deeper into the level trying to kill enemies with limited health and would invariably die. Forcing me to redo the entire thing again. Absolutely maddening.

Those escape bits from the end of dungeons are ridiculous as well. One hit kill trial and error for 30+ minutes till you get the timing exactly right on a mechanic that has only recently been given to you. Oh and did I mention there are hundreds of (very cool) effects going on making it hard to even see what the hell is going on? Could I do it super quickly now? Yeah, I know the path and have much more experience with the mechanic. At the time? Fucking annoying beyond belief.

Also reading that the game locks off areas making it impossible to do a 100% run without reading up on each section first to make sure you don't miss something on your first time around has turned me off from finding any of the collectable content unless it comes up from naturally playing the game.

I reallywant to like this game, but it's trying it's best to get me to just give up on it. I like hard core games too, but for that to be rewarding the rest needs to be firing on all cylinders and Ori, at this point, just doesn't have it.

Just realized I haven't even mentioned how often the game simply refuses to launch in the first place. More often than not I have to restart the entire console and then *immediately* start the game for it to properly load. When I'm already having trouble finding the motivation to keep going with the game, running into bullshit like that makes it all but assured I'll give on this one. This game has been out for ages, how has something that severe not been patched yet?!

That's kinda the whole idea behind the save mechanic, and without it the game wouldnt be nearly as challenging. It forces you to be more judicious in when/where you save. Creating a save with very low health is a risky bet. Do it? Or risk backtracking further if you die? I loved that aspect of it early on, before I mastered the game to the point that saving was entirely unnecessary.

Save at the correct moment, your next challenge isn't as different than say, one level in Super Meat Boy, you die, and start from where you save instantly. And the escape sequences too, they are treated as Boss fights in the game so they are intended to be long and difficult. The whole point of this genre is learning the level layouts, enemy patterns and master the mechanics, it is supposed to be hard and you are supposed to work hard to overcome it. Also I collected everything on my first run without reading a guide, you just need to be patient.

zewone

Creating a save is not an issue at all. In fact, I felt it was too generous.

There was really no need to waste energy on anything but saves.

As for the chase sequences, yeah, no checkpoints just makes them annoying and not fun to play.

Bad choice.

That's kinda the whole idea behind the save mechanic, and without it the game wouldnt be nearly as challenging. It forces you to be more judicious in when/where you save. Creating a save with very low health is a risky bet. Do it? Or risk backtracking further if you die? I loved that aspect of it early on, before I mastered the game to the point that saving was entirely unnecessary.

Yeah, like I said - I get it. But When it back fires, it's literally the worst thing. I found out that the part I was having an insanely difficult time with was because I'd ventured off to an area I wasn't supposed to be in yet, so I was missing an ability that now makes the section trivial.

Which, I'm of two minds on. I wouldn't want an explicit flashing arrow pointing me in the direction I was supposed to go, and I'm actually a little impressed that the game was flexible enough to allow me to get to this area without the tool necessary...

But, I also feel like I basically wasted an evening of gaming and made very very little progress. Again this is partly because of the save system and not picking up on the difficulty level because the spikes in difficulty are really random throughout this game. I just figured it was being annoying again, not that I was trying to do something I shouldn't have been doing yet.

I'll keep plugging along because overall, I like a lot of this game. I can just feel an absolutely great game within it, but it seems to be *just* short of it from my perspective.

The whole "not being able to go back to dungeons" is apparently fixed in the definitive version which we'll probably see on its 1 year anniversary. Think anyone who liked the game should pick it up (probably gonna be a $5-$8 upgrade) and go through the old and new content with the positive changes. My biggest complaint after finishing the game is that I wanted more, so i'm really excited to support them and see what they added and what they improved.

I don't think the save system needs any improvements though aside from bug fixing. Maybe they can add a mulligan option to revert back to your previous save point, but I wouldn't have wanted them to scrap the mechanic entirely. It's my favorite save system in a game and I think it's very clever the way it was implemented

Creating a save is not an issue at all. In fact, I felt it was too generous.

There was really no need to waste energy on anything but saves.

You ought to learn the ways of the Charge Flame. There's nothing like having a mini nuke in your back pocket that sends all projectiles back to their origin and blows up just about every enemy in the game. Chaining it along with the normal attacks makes the combat very fun. I would abuse the hell out of it if the save system wasn't also tied to it. I always make it a habit of chasing down the energy cells and speccing into the energy tree so I can spam Charge Flames without losing my ability to save a few times.

As for the chase sequences, yeah, no checkpoints just makes them annoying and not fun to play.

Bad choice.

The chase sequences weren't perfect and I certainly had my share of frustration, but a checkpoint system would ruin them. Think they just need to tone down the effects on the screen and make the routes more visible.

Yeah, like I said - I get it. But When it back fires, it's literally the worst thing. I found out that the part I was having an insanely difficult time with was because I'd ventured off to an area I wasn't supposed to be in yet, so I was missing an ability that now makes the section trivial.

Which, I'm of two minds on. I wouldn't want an explicit flashing arrow pointing me in the direction I was supposed to go, and I'm actually a little impressed that the game was flexible enough to allow me to get to this area without the tool necessary...

But, I also feel like I basically wasted an evening of gaming and made very very little progress. Again this is partly because of the save system and not picking up on the difficulty level because the spikes in difficulty are really random throughout this game. I just figured it was being annoying again, not that I was trying to do something I shouldn't have been doing yet.

I'll keep plugging along because overall, I like a lot of this game. I can just feel an absolutely great game within it, but it seems to be *just* short of it from my perspective.

It's a metroidvania, you control where you want to explore first, also the game is designed with a flow in mind that you should have every ability needed to tackle certain area/dungeons by the time you are forced to do them. The save system is fine, and the difficulty is just about first time learning layouts and patterns, the rest is execution, "get good" is the correct answer here.

It's a metroidvania, you control where you want to explore first, also the game is designed with a flow in mind that you should have every ability needed to tackle certain area/dungeons by the time you are forced to do them. The save system is fine, and the difficulty is just about first time learning layouts and patterns, the rest is execution, "get good" is the correct answer here.

Not sure what I did to piss in your waffles, but 'get good' is kind of a shitty response. Introducing a save system where you can literally lock yourself into a death loop, or be forced to redo the same section 20+ times before the game decides to reward you with enough energy to save is NOT a good system.

Again, it wasn't that the game was impossibly difficult - it was that I didn't have enough energy to save AFTER completing the difficult section.

And the very nature of it being a Metroidvania game means that I can almost certainly wander into certain areas before I'm forced to do them. You are talking out your ass to say otherwise. You are meant to explore, and due to the seesawing difficulty of the game, suddenly encountering a part that seemed unfairly difficult didn't clue me into it being an area I maybe should have been exploring. The fact that through good execution I was able to keep doing so shows your argument to be a joke in the first place.

Lain

I mean I can't even load my game now. My file says completed and when I click it nothing happens.

Once you're done, you're done.

I hope that's one of the things they change with the Definitive Edition. The game was good and fun (enough to put on my GOTY list), but decisions like locked sections and not being able to keep playing after completing the story were kinda baffling.

Once you're done, you're done.

I hope that's one of the things they change with the Definitive Edition. The game was good and fun (enough to put on my GOTY list), but decisions like locked sections and not being able to keep playing after completing the story were kinda baffling.

Wow really? There's not even a warning (that I noticed anyways) that you can't go back to it. Why would it even autosave at the end locking you out from going back to it?

Not sure what I did to piss in your waffles, but 'get good' is kind of a shitty response. Introducing a save system where you can literally lock yourself into a death loop, or be forced to redo the same section 20+ times before the game decides to reward you with enough energy to save is NOT a good system.

Again, it wasn't that the game was impossibly difficult - it was that I didn't have enough energy to save AFTER completing the difficult section.

And the very nature of it being a Metroidvania game means that I can almost certainly wander into certain areas before I'm forced to do them. You are talking out your ass to say otherwise. You are meant to explore, and due to the seesawing difficulty of the game, suddenly encountering a part that seemed unfairly difficult didn't clue me into it being an area I maybe should have been exploring. The fact that through good execution I was able to keep doing so shows your argument to be a joke in the first place.

That was not meant to insult or anything, sorry if that upset you.

The save system gives you the choice to save anywhere, it is your own judgement to whether save at a spot or push forward. Plus if you are at a difficult section, I assume you are at a later part of the game, where you should already have the half-cost upgrade plus the healing upgrade for the save, if even with those upgrade you still find it costly/frustrating/useless, I don't really know what to say. The upgrade tree is viewable in its entirety from the very start, I would suggest reading through them first and prioritize things that are quite frankly, important. And I think energy pickups are quite frequent and they respawn, you can always save somewhere, backtrack to refill and save at that spot again, saving in the same spot is free, only creating a save point cost energy.

Also, yes you can run into areas you are not supposed to be in early, you can also leave them or say, have to leave them because you are not supposed to do them in the first place.

Micapo

So I've been trying to escape the ginso tree at least 30 times. Almost made it to the top but always die to something ridiculous.
Are there more parts in the game like this?
I'm seriously thinking about quitting as I don't have any fun at all with this part and I've other games I could play instead.
I know it's a git gud issue but if there are a lot more of these escapes then I don't know if it's worth it. Damn shame as the game otherwise is so good.

So I've been trying to escape the ginso tree at least 30 times. Almost made it to the top but always die to something ridiculous.
Are there more parts in the game like this?
I'm seriously thinking about quitting as I don't have any fun at all with this part and I've other games I could play instead.
I know it's a git gud issue but if there are a lot more of these escapes then I don't know if it's worth it. Damn shame as the game otherwise is so good.

There are another two but they are significantly easier than Ginso Tree.

RoKKeR

Congrats to Ori for winning IGN's platform of the year, extremely well deserved.

Really hope the Definitive Edition is out before the end of March, or else I'll have to wait an additional ~4 months to play it!

Fou-Lu

I started Ori last night and beat it just now, I was missing a bit of the map in the tree or something so I ended up with 99% in that area but 100% everywhere else. No guide, it's been a long time since I basically 100%ed a game without a guide.

It was an amazing experience, beautiful, haunting, adorable, wonderful. Possibly my favorite Metroidvania of all time. Looking forward to the definitive edition. Hope I'll just be able to loud my save file.

jett

D-Member
I've been playing a second run, I was determined to 100% it.

I missed a missable energy cell.

Goddamnit. That shit just fucking sucks. Get a clue devs.

Top Bottom