• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - Season 2 - Starring Tatiana Maslany as everyone - Sat on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid finale, but not spectacular. I hope next season provides some real answers about what's going on. If they keep peeling back layers, whatever answers they do provide won't be sufficient enough to satisfy the mystery.

- Loved the clone dance party. Helena was great, but I loved Allison the most. Her grinding against Felix, and spanking his ass was hilarious.

- The Cosima death tease was very cruel. Hopefully the Dr. Moreau book means she's saved.

- I'd love to see evil Rachel rock an eye patch. It can't be black, though. It must match the rest of her ice queen wardrobe.

- I'm bummed Big Dick Paul wasn't revealed as the male clone. For a moment, I imagined Dylan Bruce trying to pull off a bunch of crazy clones. Needless to say, it would have been amazing.

Mark and Gracie end of season spoilers:
so we're to assume Mark is working with the military, and the other clones right? So the military wants the baby when born?
Interview spoilers
I don't remember which one, but one of the interviews with the producers said he was AWOL from the military.

Why did Helena leave the liquid nitrogen in the apartment?
Cause carrying your fertilized eggs around everywhere gets creepy after a while.

Some of the compositing in that dance scene is sketchy (especially Helena). It's still an impressive scene otherwise.
Helena's hair is always going to be a compositing nightmare.

- I'm bummed Big Dick Paul wasn't revealed as the male clone. For a moment, I imagined Dylan Bruce trying to pull off a bunch of crazy clones. Needless to say, it would have been amazing.

Was rooting for this as well, that it actually was Mark kind of blew me away though.

Definitely a drop in quality from season 1 but I still think they ended with 2 pretty good episodes. Can't wait to see what they're going to do with Helena, and also what the hell is Siobhan's deal really? I never know what to think of her, I just straight up don't trust anything she does.

I had this crazy idea that the Mark clone from the first scene of the season was a different one from Mark. But then I remembered there was a scene where he mentioned the fuck up to Gracie's dad? Or am I remembering wrong?

Maybe I just want to believe that guy was just another clone. Mark seems very different from the guy in that scene.

Ceebs

I think this season was a big dip in quality overall from the first one. I think the show went to far down it's own conspiracy hole. Kinda reminds me a bit of the second season of Veronica Mars where the season long case kept getting more and more convoluted each week and sorta crashed down on itself once it was time to wrap it up.

I personally thought that the finale was pretty damn enjoyable.

Also, regarding the twist at the end...I'ma put it in spoilers just in case.

I kinda wish they would have gotten Enver Gjokaj to play Mark. He constantly killed it on Dollhouse and I think he would have been perfect to play the male clones.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I do feel like season two was a step down from the first season. The conspiracy angle just became a convoluted mess. I still really enjoyed the season though.

I do hope there's an end in sight. We don't need another show like True Blood where they stretch the original idea so far that it snaps and we're left with utter garbage for the most part.

True Blood is based on a series of books that have just as many characters and crazy storylines as the show does btw.

Yeah the second season was much less focused than the first which is somewhat understandable to a degree but, I do hope they actually have a lot of this shit mapped out because if not it might get worse.

I think this season was a big dip in quality overall from the first one. I think the show went to far down it's own conspiracy hole. Kinda reminds me a bit of the second season of Veronica Mars where the season long case kept getting more and more convoluted each week and sorta crashed down on itself once it was time to wrap it up.

That's funny you say that. I'm actually watching VM season 2 as we speak. I disagree that OB season 2 is as convoluted as VM season 2. I think the difference between season one and two is how the clones are being pushed and pulled; S1 was a lot more of Sarah on the periphery. Now there's a lot more to divulge and each clone has a different part to play. I do feel some things in the story seem to be getting overly worked but that just seems natural for conspiracy-based fiction. I think it's been consistently intriguing, and I applaud them maintaining such a break-neck pace of plot development. However, I hope in S3 we'll really see tightened up plot lines and an end in sight. I really can't see them continue the show anymore after that.
Wait did Sarah forget that Helena killed her birth mother?

Wasn't she just a surrogate? I think the bond of them being twins is just too strong. It's not like she knew the 'mother'. She also 'killed' Helena.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally caught up on the last two. I think the finale was good, but I don't know, felt like this season got a little rushed near the end to me. The ending was definite, but before then it felt like we had one or two left. Really liked that all the clones got together and had a little fun. I needed something light like that after watching the Rectify premiere earlier lol. Overall the season had a lot of strong points that made up for some weak ones. I don't know if I liked it as a whole more than the first season.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Just saw the finale, WOW it was spectacular, just as good as last week's episode <3
(which is a relief and shows that the godawful Tony episode was a temporary misstep and not the show tumbling downhill as I feared)

-NOOOOOOO @ Helena being captured </3 I legit teared up at her meeting Cosima and seeing Kira again

-BYEEE Rachel you bitch. (But Tatiana absolutely KILLED it in the role)

-YESSSSSSSS @ Mark being the clone! So glad it's a hottie that can also act cuz I don't want multiple copies of some ugly guy running around on the show, and while Dylan Bruce is also very attractive, he couldn't pull it off. He's very.... limited to put it nicely, I actually giggled when he showed up in army fatigues cuz it just looked like some doofus in a costume, not an actual badass

-OMGGGGGGGGGG @ that Cosima death light Delphine angel fakeout, I was 100% sure she was done at that moment, but my heart plunged into my stomach when they revealed it to just be a vision. Having Kira find her dead body on the bed would have just been too much for me

-YESSSSSSS @ Cal coming back and helping to further the plot! The time spent with him this season wasn't a waste after all

-Can we leave Gracie in a ditch on the season 3 premiere? She is godawful :(

-Michelle Forbes continues to be fabulous, what an amazing actress. SO HAPPY she's going to have a continued part in this show

All in all, a more uneven season than the first, but with lower lows, came higher highs. Orphan Black is still one of the BEST shows on television <3

Season 3, I'm HERE for it

102307_original.gif

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
OMG at the ending.

And what did Mrs S and Paul do to Helena?

I'm assuming that Helena left the canister and they might be able to use that to heal Cosmina.

I enjoyed the season, though I don't think it was quite as good as the first.

OMG at the ending.

And what did Mrs S and Paul do to Helena?

I'm assuming that Helena left the canister and they might be able to use that to heal Cosmina.

I enjoyed the season, though I don't think it was quite as good as the first.

Duncan's cypher plus Helena's embryos should be enough, with the only question being how Cosima will get access to a lab to do whatever she needs to do.

Megasoum

Banned
The last shot of Castor gave me some serious Vaas vibes (from Farcry 3)...

Now that I think about it a Vick clone club would have been great lol.

3phemeral

Finally caught up and every single time, I'm impressed by Empress Tatiana. I agree about the trans clone Tony being a little off, but I have faith that she'll get it right should they reintroduce him since I had that same vibe when they revealed Rachel first season. Second season comes around and bam, perfected from the start.

And Marian... I loved her in True Blood.

Dalek

I really loved the finale and I'm more psyched now for season 3 with the Castor Storyline and finding out what happens with Helena.

An eye patch would be cool but I got a feeling they'd either give her a glass eye or have the bioengineering tech to actually replace her eye. Hell, maybe they'll reintroduce the regeneration/super healing factor thing that Kira apparently was able to do derived from Kira which would have huge implications and I imagine one of the big things the Castor side at the very least, is extremely interested in.

But I do hope she just rocks an eye patch.

Alpende

Clone Mark at the end looked crazy as hell. Quite a good finale overall, however I agree with people on here saying there are too many conspiracies.

So that woman at the end that wanted Leekie gone is now on Sarah's side because she also has a clone baby?

An eye patch would be cool but I got a feeling they'd either give her a glass eye or have the bioengineering tech to actually replace her eye. Hell, maybe they'll reintroduce the regeneration/super healing factor thing that Kira apparently was able to do derived from Kira which would have huge implications and I imagine one of the big things the Castor side at the very least, is extremely interested in.

But I do hope she just rocks an eye patch.

Big Boss Rachel is the only acceptable Rachel from here on out.

Just marathoned season 2, and I'm finally caught up. I love, love, love this show. Tatiana is incredible.

Way too much to comment on everything, but needless to say I'm totally on board for season 3. I'm ready for it right now.

And now to bust out my trademark shallow observations, but damn does this show have some hot guys. Dylan Bruce is heaven. Michiel Huisman and Jordan Gavaris are no slouches either. I was a bit disappointed that none of them were the male clone, but let's see what Mark is like. (Forgot to mention Michael Mando. It's too bad they never give him much of chance to show off.)

I'll be very happy to actually be able to discuss next season with TVGaf as it happens. It was pretty painful to be lagging behind everyone.

Double D

I can't remember a show that I've watched two full seasons of and enjoyed them greatly, but really have zero idea what is going on. "We want to know the truth just as much as you". Truth about what?!

Zero315

Banned

This season got rid of the Neolution body modification bullshit. That alone places it over season one for me. I do agree that it was a bit unfocused though. So much going on that nothing really had a chance to breathe.

and also what the hell is Siobhan's deal really? I never know what to think of her, I just straight up don't trust anything she does.

I think she's loyal to Sarah and Kira, and that if sacrificing any of the other clones means keeping them safe she won't hesitate to do it.

Blader

Tatiana continues to rock this show like no other, but the last few episodes -- and really the season as a whole -- have made it increasingly clear that the writers have no idea where they're going with any of this. They continue to reveal new clones, new factions, new allegiances and double-agents, and its been really feeling lately less like peeling back an onion and more like just adding new onions to peel.

Mrs. S, Paul, Rachel, Michelle Forbes' character, the proletheans -- I mean, maybe I just turn into an intensely stupid viewer when watching this show, but I have little to no idea about what any of these characters are trying to accomplish and why.

I can't remember a show that I've watched two full seasons of and enjoyed them greatly, but really have zero idea what is going on. "We want to know the truth just as much as you". Truth about what?!

lol, this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They continue to reveal new clones, new factions, new allegiances and double-agents, and its been really feeling lately less like peeling back an onion and more like just adding new onions to peel.

Mrs. S, Paul, Rachel, Michelle Forbes' character, the proletheans -- I mean, maybe I just turn into an intensely stupid viewer when watching this show, but I have little to no idea about what any of these characters are trying to accomplish and why.

Thank god I'm not the only one confused by all the conspiracy nonsense.

I love this show.

Helena dancing looks like Lorde.

lol

The layers of conspiracy in this show started to tire me as soon as Mrs. S' birdwatchers guys turned out to be Proletheans.

By the end of the season, it exhausted me. Only two seasons in and the mythology is already too complicated for me to keep up with.

It didn't help that they CRAMMED so fucking much into the finale that you had ZERO time to digest all the "twists" that came.

This says something about the pacing of the show -- it feels like it's going on lightning pace (especially in the earlier episodes) but it never really ties to any solid progress in the grand scheme of things.

In the finale, we got...

Paul turning out to be a double agent (was this all along, since he monitored Beth; or did he turn when he suddenly disappeared from Dyad?);
Cal having communication with Marion;
Mrs. S knowing all along about Castor;
The reveal of the cabal overseeing EVERYTHING;
Marion being some sort of double agent for the cabal/clone sisters;
Marion not being allied with Rachel after all;
Helena getting kidnapped AGAIN and being brought to a military compound; and
The actual reveal of Project Castor with Mark as the clone line.

At this point, I'd seriously need to consult a detailed timeline to piece everything together.

And to top all that...

A big disappointment for me was the fact that Helena and Sarah never got to talk about why he just LEFT her after seeing her get arrested. For the apparent bonding they had while on the road trip, Sarah didn't seem to care enough to follow up with Art what happened to Helena. She had him check it out, but after that? Nada. Helena's absence was never addressed.

Don't get me wrong, I was pleased with the wonderful character moments in the finale --

Kira and Cosima, Rachel and Ethan, Rachel and Sarah, Sarah with Marion and Charlotte, the 4-clone scene, etc.

But damn, for a finale meant to wrap up a season, it certainly felt heavy and convoluted and messy and not satisfying at all.

Episode 9 of this season remains to be the absolute best example of juggling the clone storylines with finesse and sense and perfect pacing.

I am looking forward to Season 3, but will not have high expectations for the mythology.

I'll always be here for Tatiana's performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom