• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - Season 2 - Starring Tatiana Maslany as everyone - Sat on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Paul was supposed to kill Mark off in episode 6, but the creators changed their minds.

Whoa

Manson suggests there's a "twist" to Beth's story that he looks forward to showing.

hmmm I wonder what this could be?

Another Cosima-player asks how each actor would want their character to die if they had to die. "Helena would eat herself to death," says Maslany. "Rachel, something really clumsy and stupid... Alison would do something with crafts, or panic herself to death." She laughs at how dark the question is. The actors turn to the writers for ideas. Manson: "Sarah would just refuse to die."

lol

The gifts given to Tatiana at the panel

Btb7X8dCAAA2mUD.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

The gifts given to Tatiana at the panel

Btb7X8dCAAA2mUD.jpg

Awesome! <3

Tatiana was absolutely ROBBED at the awards.
I also can't help but laugh a bit, the blu ray doesn't have Dylan Bruce pictured on the front OR back, and he was in what, like 5 episodes of season 2? For a main credited cast member, that's pretty sad and leads me to think he won't be around for much of season 3......... (not a spoiler, just my observations)

ivysaur12

Banned
On an adventure catching up at season 2:

This had to be one of the better constructed episodes the series has ever done. It's tight and not extremely complicated, but delivers a lot of simple moves very elegantly. It's a great character piece for everyone has it start to launch each of these revolving threads into the middle part of the story.

I mean, fuck, that hug. That look of horror on Sarah's face. THAT HUG. THAT HUG.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Actually, it was pretty cool seeing her at Comic Con. Someone in the audience yelled out that the Emmy's had robbed her. :p

- Ask OB with Maria Doyle Kennedy
- "Entangled" - a short film by OB writer Tony Elliott
In it, Elliott — a screenwriter for the well-regarded sci-fi drama Orphan Black — tells a story of a woman whose lover is suffering debilitating side effects of a quantum device he's created. Her attempt to save him and the repercussions they both endure is a tense, futuristic take on a story that's been told endless times before. Reminiscent of indie sci-fi films like Shane Carruth's Primer and Upstream Color, it's moody and pensive without getting too bogged down in supplying you with specifics, letting the focus stay on the show-stopping performance from lead actress Christine Horne. It was recently part of the the Toronto International Film Festival and is well worth a watch, plus it'll help pass the time until Orphan Black season 3 debuts in 2015.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Orphan Black Begins Production on Season 3

The ten-episode third season for BBC America's hit cloning drama "Orphan Black" has kicked off production in Toronto, where it will continue location and studio filming until March 2015 for a Spring 2015 premiere.

Picking up where Season 2 left off with the reveal of new male "Castor" clones, Season 3 has the clone sisterhood realizing they are more vulnerable than ever before against the highly-trained, identical male-soldiers, with Sarah, Cosima, Alison and Helena putting their friendship to the test.

Big Dick Paul ad infinitum. My sides are not ready.

Edit: Can we please work "clone sisterhood" into the OT 3's title?

KarmaCow

Oh wow I somehow missed the season 2 finale. I was wondering why the "last" episode was weird.

I guess Paul did something in the end.

More details via TVLine and the BBCA press release:
BBCA said:
Season 3 plunges the clone sisterhood into unexpected territory with the realization that they’re not alone. Just when they thought they knew their enemies and allies, season three reveals our clones are more vulnerable than ever before. Highly trained, identical male-soldiers raise more questions than answers. Who are these new clones? Who created them? And more importantly, why do they exist? Sarah, Cosima, Alison and Helena are stronger together than they are apart, but this season will put that bond to the test. Will they forge towards their truth, or fall at the feet of those that seek to control them?
TVLine said:
As far as casting, in addition to Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany and Tatiana Maslany, Ari Millen is returning in a lead role, as the newly discovered male clones – including Mark, the Prolethean cult follower, and Rudy, a prisoner of war. Also of note, S, Evelyne Brochu and Michiel Huisman both will return, as Cosima’s scientist lover Delphine and Sarah’s baby daddy Cal.

Of course, Jordan Gavaris, Dylan Bruce, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Kristian Bruun, Skyler Wexler and Kevin Hanchard will reprise their roles as Felix, Hot Paul, Mrs. S, Donnie, Kira and Art, while Zoé De Grand Maison will continue on as Prolethean escapee Gracie.

Orphan Black is shooting in Toronto through March 2015, with an eye on a Spring premiere date.

Also not mentioned but confirmed to be at the table reads last week on twitter
Kristin Booth returning as Gracie's Prolethean mother Bonnie

Samuray

This is a huge longshot, but....anyone here could help me with the slipcover for the Season 2 Blu-rays?

I bought them at release from Amazon.clm and alas, they fame without the slipcover, like many of the first charge. Amazon was willing to exchange my copy but admitted the new one would probably be without the cardboard cover as well.

Then I contacted BBC America and that went on for about two months or so. It seemed like they were really willing to help me out but in the end, they refused to, since I'm in Germany and imported the set. Didn't prevent Warner to replace the asynchronous "Clone Wars Season 5" BDs, but whatever....

So they had the German office contact me who blatantly told me to buy a new set. Yeah, thanks.

So back to Amazon. They were still willing to exchange it but it wasn't in stock anymore and the whole thing became quite messy (they refunded me the money and wanted me to send it back, but without a replacement in stock we needed to cancel the refund and so on and so on...)

So. My best bet would either be someone with the cover who simply doesn't need/ want it, or someone who has a receipt for the Blu-rays and who would contact BBC America for me, have the cover sent to him and forward it to me.
I'll pay all postage, of course! (could be a bit from US to Germany)

Some of you may say "why bother, it's only a slipcover", but I'm collector as much as a viewer, and I haven't even opened the factory sealing yet because I really, really need this item complete. Yeah, first world problems... ^^

Would anyone help me out? Would be so great!

IISANDERII

Hey LTTP here. I loved season 1 but didn't like the way things were looked to be heading for season 2.

So how did season 2 turn out?

Similar to what they did last year in November. Might get another non footage teaser next month and the first actual promo sometime in late Feb.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm watching 206.

I'm not stupid. But I can't keep LEDA, Dyad, Proletheans, and Neolutions straight. There's too much clutter in this mythology.

kirblar

I'm watching 206.

I'm not stupid. But I can't keep LEDA, Dyad, Proletheans, and Neolutions straight. There's too much clutter in this mythology.
They obviously don't have a series bible and are making it up on the fly. They got exposed this season unfortunately.

ivysaur12

Banned
They obviously don't have a series bible and are making it up on the fly. They got exposed this season unfortunately.

None of it makes any damn sense and they're just going in circles of bullshit. It's so frustrating. The end of 206 was so deflated because I couldn't keep any of it straight about what's going on with whosit whatsit.

It's not helping that I'm watching over a significant amount of time. But still.

ivysaur12

Banned
And now I'm reading the AVClub for this episode and wtf

Despite a few plot holes here and there, though, there&#8217;s been nothing yet to suggest that the Orphan Black team has anything less than a firm grip on its mythology.

This is so wrong. This is one of the worst examples of "oh we'll figure it out later oh fuck oh no now we need to know where it's going when the rubber meets the road uh uh uh" that I've seen in a long time. There's no plan, there's just a meandering mess of character motivations and yet another faction of maybe evil doers.

Take Paul. I'm at this point in the story, and I couldn't tell you what Paul wants. What the hell does Paul want? It's not a hard question. In a story, you should know what one of your main characters wants. Sarah wants to stop Dyad/Leike/Proletheans/Neolutians/Dementors so she can figure out the Big Secret and also get her daughter. Cosima wants to be Not Sick. Allison wants to live a normal life and not be a clone. Felix wants to help Sarah. Art wants to solve a murder. Great. These are all things I understand. What does Paul want? What does Rachel want? Why do these characters want these things or do these things or act this way?

It speaks to a larger issue with the storytelling. If I can't tell you why some of your characters are acting certain ways and your mythology is crumbling under its own weight, then you don't have a plan or a goal. You're in the middle of season 2 without any idea where you're going and you're throwing shit at the wall to try to make anything stick that could maybe be cohesive and getting 10 episodes written.

6 episodes in, and I couldn't tell you what this season is about. I couldn't tell you about the internal logic of the show from episode to episode. I can't keep track of the changing factions. And none of it seems to matter since our main character is on an aimless adventure that she doesn't even seem to be driving.

I'm mostly upset because I enjoyed the first season, and it's disappointing to see the show break so many really simple storytelling techniques and not play to the show's strengths. Do not overly complicate the mythology. Keep it simple. Keep it about Sarah, Allison, and Cosima. Don't have too much clutter. Make it very clear what everyone wants. Don't have incident for incident sake. Gah. :-(

royalan

I agree that the middle of the season became more about watching the characters interact with each other and less about keeping the mythology grounded and sensible. And yeah. they really didn't know what to do with Big Dick Paul last season.

But, without spoiling it for you, I think the general consensus was that the last two episodes reeled everything back in and shows that the writers do have a plan for all these pieces they've introduced. I thought the finale was good it left me really excited for where they're taking the show next season.

ivysaur12

Banned
Alright, I finished the show and I've had a while to collect my thoughts --

My initial reaction at the end was an elongated shrug, but I'm really not sure what the point of any of that was, or what the story that was trying to be told? Sarah's? No. Rachel's? Maybe, but it was muddled in some really poor narrative decisions with the introduction of her father and his role in the series, and hers as well.

I just don't get what the point was. And the season ends with more nameless corporations doing who knows whats it and more people changing their allegiances based off of what the episode dictates. And an uninteresting tertiary character is a male clone? I barely cared about/understood his role in the series, so it's another layer of Prolethean/Dyad/Neolution bullshit that the series has tried to pile on top of its faults.

I'll watch the season 3, but unless it's amazing, I'm out. This show got way too big way too fast and forgot the reasons why it was entertaining in the first place.

More casting news:
BBCA said:
BBC AMERICA, in association with Space and Temple Street Productions, announced casting additions to the new season of Orphan Black. Justin Chatwin (Shameless) and James Frain (Intruders) join the channel’s hit original drama for its third season, which is currently in production and set to return in 2015.

Justin Chatwin joins in a recurring role as Jason Kellerman. With rugged good looks and street-smarts, Jason is
a savvy drug-dealer in the guise of a charismatic businessman.

James Frain
guest stars as Ferdinand, a
well-educated, “cleaner” who is both charming and intimidating. Ferdinand is a powerful player in a secretive, multi-national political faction that operates with questionable ethics and a ruthless approach.

Also joining the cast this season is Ksenia Solo (Black Swan) as Shay,
a soulful and compassionate holistic healer with a great sense of humor destined to become a new friend to Cosima Niehaus (Tatiana Maslany).*
Kyra Harper (Warehouse 13) will play Dr. Coady,
a ruthless doctor and advisor to the military. Coady is outwardly the soul of reason, but her maternal, nurturing manner conceals an agenda that even her superiors do not suspect.
And rounding out the additions is Earl Pastko
(Murdoch Mysteries) as Bulldog, Ferdinand’s silent, imposing and violent personal bodyguard. Communicating with his boss by looks only, Bulldog carries out the dirty work of his shady employers.

James Frain guest stars as Ferdinand

Cool, Frain is in like a million shows and is always a good addition.

a well-educated, “cleaner” who is both charming and intimidating. Ferdinand is a powerful player in a secretive, multi-national political faction that operates with questionable ethics and a ruthless approach.

Oh hell, not another mysterious player in the Clone Game, it's already a huge mess with all the groups and their unclear scope and motivations.

Also joining the cast this season is Ksenia Solo

As Cosima's love interest, right ? Please ?

Loke13

Justin Chatwin joins in a recurring role as Jason Kellerman. With rugged good looks and street-smarts, Jason is a savvy drug-dealer in the guise of a charismatic businessman.
Fuck yeah!! Jimmy is on the show! Sounds like he's playing a similar role to his Shameless persona.

There is a 105,7% chance Ksenia Solo's character is not actually a holistic healer but secretly testing nanotech, DNA recoding or some other fancy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom