• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| topics will now go live on game launch date

peakish

One theme I'm seeing a lot is that |OT|s provide some visibility and informational purpose for small games, which makes sense. I'll think about whether there's anything we can do that might serve a similar purpose.
Going from the OP the oulined problem is mostly a concern for the more popular titles, no? I definitely think that small titles are helped by having a dedicated thread open for information and discussion before the release day. For PC indie games that's often the window for a 10 % discount, giving me a few days to check something out, ask questions, or even just be reminded that it exists and is that close to release.

To me it seems like a shame for those titles to be thrown out with the stanky bathwater of the triple A hype machines.

patapuf

I like the change.

Early OT's were usefull if you were totally unaware of a title but usually any newsthread provides the same info quickly.

People can still post about their hype everytime a trailer or a screenshot is released (since new news, new thread) and i don't have to click through 50 pages of "hype" in an OT until people start posting impressions of actually playing the game.

Personally I completely disagree with this decision. I see the "new news new thread" argument, however this; "because we're such a large forum, a week becomes an eternity; for popular games, a week can produce a gigantic thread, making it difficult for people jumping in on release day to find what they're looking for or to follow the already-rapid pace of conversation", does not make much sense to me. I don't see what difference it makes. People will always have a hard time following the rapid pace of the discussion no matter when the thread is made. And that's okay. Because in an OT there are a lot of discussions happening. Finding "what they're looking for" should be easy too, as most information is presumably in the OP and other details can be searched for or just asked about.

In that regard I also dislike that hype threads are discouraged. Yes yes, "news news new thread" makes sense and I agree with that, however this is a forum; a place where people talk and hype. There are a lot of enthusiasts here. Activity doesn't harm the forum. Activity is good.

It's no big deal though; imo it's fine either way. I just think it's a bad decision.

Copenap

Just wanted to throw in my opinion.

I personally don't like it at to me it always had a function of a reminder and heads up as well as the getting hyped.

Maybe it would be possible to do a kind of reset? So at release the pre-release thread is closed amd archived and the new thread begins?

Edit: Oh and I totally agree to the point above me. For me it will still be impossible as when I get home from work and able to start playing every OT of a relatively big game will be already in the 20+ page region anyways.

Dawg

Can we kill review threads too? If reviews are available before launch, the information can go in the OP and be discussed there. Otherwise they will surely become surrogate OTs

Where the hell are people gonna discuss reviews if they appear one week before release and the OTs only go up on release day?

Karu

I can understand both sides. But this does only really concern the bigger titles, no? I would assume smaller titles would actually benefit from "hype OT"s in a meaningful way? But then again I am not that familiar with the Gaming-section here to begin with and there might be places where that can still happen.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't think this going to stop all the pre-release hype. It's just going to be in a million other threads instead of being in one condensed place. Personally I'm going to miss all the discussion leading up to a game's release.

Mostly I assume these will be based on US release dates, so would they go live from midnight EST on the Tuesday?

I've said this a few times already, but "day of release" really practically means "before the OP goes to bed the night before." If you expect a game to unlock for DD at midnight, put up the |OT| a couple hours earlier.

I don't think this going to stop all the pre-release hype.

Our goal isn't to "kill" hype or make it so people can't be excited about upcoming games; we just don't want to encourage hype at the expense of other purposes. |OT|s need to be places where negative reactions, noob questions, latecomers, and unusual playstyles are welcome.

Is there going to be some sort of pardon for community driven games like MMOs?

Most of the time something like an MMO will have a lot of community organization happen in a Beta thread that'll precede the official release by a good margin.

ethomaz

Banned
Personally I completely disagree with this decision. I see the "new news new thread" argument, however this; "because we're such a large forum, a week becomes an eternity; for popular games, a week can produce a gigantic thread, making it difficult for people jumping in on release day to find what they're looking for or to follow the already-rapid pace of conversation", does not make much sense to me. I don't see what difference it makes. People will always have a hard time following the rapid pace of the discussion no matter when the thread is made. And that's okay. Because in an OT there are a lot of discussions happening. Finding "what they're looking for" should be easy too, as most information is presumably in the OP and other details can be searched for or just asked about.

In that regard I also dislike that hype threads are discouraged. Yes yes, "news news new thread" makes sense and I agree with that, however this is a forum; a place where people talk and hype. There are a lot of enthusiasts here. Activity doesn't harm the forum. Activity is good.

It's no big deal though; imo it's fine either way. I just think it's a bad decision.
+1 here.

Completely agree.

BTW this move you make more threads about a game to created unless the mod staff start to lock all threads and distimulate the discussion.

kick51

Banned
I can understand both sides. But this does only really concern the bigger titles, no? I would assume smaller titles would actually benefit from "hype OT"s in a meaningful way? But then again I am not that familiar with the Gaming-section here to begin with and there might be places where that can still happen.

I don't think it's gaf's job to provide free promotion for anyone big or small and not everyone here is into this weird brand of consumer...activism or loyalty or whatever you call it. One could make an argument that it makes certain contingents highly irritating.

If people haven't played a small game, they aren't any more credible than if they hadn't played a big one. The post-release thread will reflect more accurately the actual quality of the game and have more meaningful discussion regardless of the title.

Odah

Banned
Atleast it will help fighting against my enviousity on people who post a pic in the OT where they show how they got it like 1 week earlier.

Mrbob

I think this change is for the better. Most OTs feel like glorified PR being up a week before release. Though I can definitely understand the case to have it up 24 hours early.

Bravocado

I guess I'll be the outsider who doesn't like the idea.

I want to talk about a game leading up to its release. Discuss trailers, go over early impressions, discuss Twitch streams, find unboxings on YouTube, talk about achievements, stores selling early, pre order bonuses, etc, etc....

I guess... What's the "harm" in having it up for a few days before release? The conversation is already going? Eh, I've never complained, even when jumping into an OT two weeks after release.

I'm torn between this and the efficiency of having the thread made the day before. They both have their merits.

The Llama

Suck out all the fun of the forum while you're at it.

I don't know about you, but I find it a pain to read through almost any fast moving topic because so many of the posts completely lack content. Its just a pain. What do we gain by letting people spam that stuff?!

pompidu

Im fine with this. If people want to discuss the game before hand just make hype thread.
Ex.
HYPE THREAD Destiny.
Or
The HYPE THREAD of Call of Duty AW.

ethomaz

Banned
Serious question... why try to make the forum less fun and more boring?

I really don't get it.

Or maybe it is only my own opinion.

Can we have a pre-OT thread?

Aeana

Serious question... why try to make the forum less fun and more boring?

I really don't get it.

Or maybe it is only my own opinion.

Can we have a pre-OT thread?
Most of our policy changes like this are in an effort to make the forum more welcoming for a larger group of people. If that's boring for you, then I'm sorry. Boring is better than people being afraid of being chased out of communities for having an opinion that doesn't jibe with the majority's.

kick51

Banned
seems like its time we have a talk about why the slapstick, hyperbolic brand of internet hype is bad and annoying

THRILLH0

Banned
Boring is better than people being afraid of being chased out of communities for having an opinion that doesn't jibe with the majority's.

I don't see how this will change the point above at all.

After Driveclub came out people in the OT complaining about the lack of content or driving model were instantly shouted down for not understanding what the game is all about.

Aeana

I don't see how this will change the point above at all.
It's been explained several times that one of the leading causes of this is communities based on hype and positivity are established in OTs pre-release and then once people actually start playing it, they get chased out for voicing any kind of dissenting opinion. This is one part of an effort to reduce that, although not the only part. We'll be doing other things, as well.

THRILLH0

Banned
It's been explained several times that one of the leading causes of this is communities based on hype and positivity are established in OTs pre-release and then once people actually start playing it, they get chased out for voicing any kind of dissenting opinion. This is one part of an effort to reduce that, although not the only part. We'll be doing other things, as well.

Just because it's been explained, that doesn't make it accurate.

I get that it's tough to moderate all those comments and you're trying to do something but presenting that as the primary reason for this change doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyway, I hope you're right, variety of opinions is a great thing. Now just get onto that 24-hour revision and we'll all be happy ;)

Aeana

Just because it's been explained, that doesn't make it accurate.

I get that it's tough to moderate all those comments and you're trying to do something but presenting that as the primary reason for this change doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyway, I hope you're right, variety of opinions is a great thing. Now just get onto that 24-hour revision and we'll all be happy ;)
I wasn't presenting it as the primary reason. It's just one of many reasons, which are outlined well in the OP of this thread.

pompidu

So instead of having an ot a week before, were am I suppose to go and talk about the game? Am I to just jump into an already existing topic? Can I create a new thread? What is the action here, cause its not outlined in the op how to handle this situation.

FLAguy954

Can there be |POT| (or |pOT| ) threads for pre-release talk? I find that too many games (i.e. DRIVECLUB) suffer from having half a dozen pre-release threads about it, including the OT. It would be nice if there could still be a thread (that is locked when the |OT| goes live) for those to discuss things so there is not a dozen or so threads about every aspect of the game, pre-OT.

Could we have some sort of pre-OT where all the 'news' information or possibly just thread links could be disseminated? It can be tough to keep track of 'new news new thread'.

I agree. The new OT rules can still apply but we should have a pre-OT (kind of like the Smash-Bros 4 threads).

hemo memo

Gold Member

:( big as this one?

hemo memo

Gold Member
OT's sold me on many games before with videos screenshots and people who played the beta, demo.. etc. A place where you can find everything better than going throw many websites to decide buying the game or not. And a big part of my enjoyment is playing the game the same time as everyone on GAF. Not everybody can decide buying a game right away.

1 week is too long but a day or two before.

ethomaz

Banned
Most of our policy changes like this are in an effort to make the forum more welcoming for a larger group of people. If that's boring for you, then I'm sorry. Boring is better than people being afraid of being chased out of communities for having an opinion that doesn't jibe with the majority's.
If you guys are sure it is the majority then ok but I guess it is otherwise.

Well I do think it won't work at all but I will be happy to be proved wrong ;)

It will be pretty cool to click on an OT and see impressions right away.
Sorry but that won't happen even with Day one OT.

BTW OT threads was the main reason I recommended GAF to everybody else... now I guess I will need to stop that.

Yeah, it was kind of sucky at times when I would enter an |OT| thread on launch day and it be knee deep on page 8 talking about other things, since the game couldn't be played yet.

Top Bottom