• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| topics will now go live on game launch date

Radec

I don't understand this post. That's what they are changing the OTs so they aren't echo chambers and you can actually have a discussion about the game with people that have played the game.

Sample: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17

Whats the difference of thread like this from |OT| released a week early ?

MRORANGE

Okay, but it really should be 24 hours before release, it's always been a staple of steam threads to discuss who bought the game and a place to ask questions and what people were looking forward to. Granted I noticed threads such as destiny outreaching it's size before the game released but the 24 hour period would really help.

Sample: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17

Whats the difference of thread like this from |OT| released a week early ?

They are both hype threads. The are trying to change the OT now so it is about the discussions on the game from people that have actually played it. That's why they are changing it so they aren't the same.

Radec

Smash Bros has been a weird aberration due to releasing on very different systems in different regions at different times, due to the daily dribbles of news, and due to the, hmm, vocal fandom.

Sometimes things don't fit into the preplanned boxes, and we'll try to be flexible and reasonably accommodate different forms of discussion when and as necessary.

sure, but its been going on since like mid 2013 way before the 3DS version's release date even announced.

That's a huge hype thread and new news of that game are getting separate threads anyway.

That's what they are trying to change

Aren't they only changing the |OT|s and not huge threads like that ?

Moff

I actually loved to have a solid information hub about a game on GAF a week before release, because that's when I usually really start to be interested in a game and buy/preload it on steam. but who am I to judge. I will miss them.

I don't care at all about hype threads, but GAF was my #1 source for spezific games in the week before release, because the OTs are usually really well done and full of everything I need to know. but with this new restriction, I guess I have to look for everything myself again, bummer.

Destiny's fault, the hype was real. But honestly I feel being able to talk about preorders, midnight launches and deals in the OT before launch is a huge part of the Gaf experience. I think the out of control OTs are the exception not the rule.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hopefully you guys consider changing it from release day to the day prior release, or at least a few hours before. Like others have mentioned.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Why not a day prior to release?

When an OT of a game that I'm anticipating goes up I love scouring for information I've missed and the dialogue usually gives people time to gather insight about what is known about the game and the general consensus that reviews (if they've been published) have given so far.

I agree a week might be too long and watching an OT almost hit OT2 before the game has even release is ridiculous, but I think having a single place for people to discuss EVERYTHING about the game as it's about to release is important.

I've learned a lot from OT's before the game was even released, but even that aside there are practical reasons for having an OT go up a day before, the most obvious one being that the person who is doing the OT MIGHT JUST BE GOING TO A MIDNIGHT RELEASE! Or maybe they've got stuff planned the next morning and have to sleep early? Or time zone differences muck something up.

The worst thing in the world would be if the game came out and there was no OT to post in. The amount of threads that would pop up about the game would be pretty out of control.

p3tran

Banned
Hmm, I think some of the most fun and 'hype-inducing' convos happen in the week lead up to a game's release, that's too bad.
this

plus if I manage to get a game earlier (i try and do this for most games i want to play), then where do I duscuss?

I mean, you know most first parties and big released are stockpilled in the shops days before launch date..

erawsd

I would agree that it should at least go up a day before release.

Personally, I don't follow OTs much after release unless its an online game whose community I want to participate in like Destiny. For everything else I usually abandon the OT because I'm actually playing the game or I want to avoid any hint of spoilers. I also really appreciate having a place where there is an aggregate of pre-release infomation, trailers, news, ect about the game and I can quickly get caught up.

Coreda

sure, but its been going on since like mid 2013 way before the 3DS version's release date even announced.

That's a huge hype thread and new news of that game are getting separate threads anyway.

I'd forgotten about these. It's puzzling how the continued Smash threads have stayed in Gaming for so long.

Destiny's fault, the hype was real. I think the out of control OTs are the exception not the rule.

Mmm.

Fjordson

Sounds good. Though I will miss everyone discussing live streams the weekend before a game launches. The GTA V OT with everyone frantically searching for streams before Rockstar's ninjas could take them out was pretty fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
Not sure about this one. With on-day OT's and hype threads forbidden it is literally impossible to talk about an upcoming game you're hyped for/interested in on this videogame forum until the game actually releases somewhere in the world.

We need a solution for that. People will just flock to random old threads related to the game.

Also, week-early OT's are an EXCELLENT way to get early impressions on a game you're still on the fence about. Ultra-mega threads like the Destiny thread aside, I've never had any issue whatsoever with keeping up with OTs. If someone has a question about said game, they can just, you know, ask it in the thread.

potam

Banned
Not a particular fan of this. I get 99% of my gaming news through neogaf. The OTs, particularly the well made ones, provide me with most of the information I need as well as pertinent links. It also allows me to ask general questions about the game that can be answered by people who have been following it more closely.

I suppose this can still happen post-launch, but then I won't be able to make an informed decision in time to get in on any preorder deals.

bitoriginal

I'm usually a silent observer of OTs but I can't say I'm a fan on this change. I like an OT before release and it consolidates new information about a game I'm interested in purchasing. Some people also get it early and post impressions which help inform me if I'm going to like the game. Basically it's a whirlpool of different information that I have the leisure of choosing from, and choosing if it's relevant to me. That's not a negative, it's a positive. Now I've gotta hunt down other threads related to the game for splintered discussion? Seems counter intuitive to me.

Kouriozan

I also think it should be a day before, people getting a game at least day -1 is not that rare.
I always thought a week before was too much anyway.

So guys, this is kinda off topic (but not really). How are we gonna handle Bayonetta?

I think there are a lot of people, like me, who want to play the Digital Foundry anointed definitive edition original on Wii U before jumping into the sequel. So will we have to bump the old Bayo 1 thread or can we have a new one for the Wii U release? I'm just curious.

Also, as someone first suggested on the first page, I do like the idea of day before release. I think it'll work great to get the hype started just before release. I suspect people will be busy playing day of release and the thread will be pretty barebones of actual discussion until much later, once everyone's put the game down to come up for air. I could be wrong though. I'm fine either way.

Vert boil

This is bad arbitrary decision that will have a negative effect on every |OT| instead of just the few that need some attention.

Since there is no point arguing about the greater point, people should be allowed to post |OT|s 24/48 hours early with mods locking them then opening them when the mythical hour occurs. This will help out with the time zone/peoples sleep pattern issues where they can't be available at the specific hour and it will allow people to browse the information about the game prior to launch.

mclem

Midnight of release day is at least 9-12 hours before most people will get the game, unless it's available at midnight on download services, in which case there will be a small bit of leeway. But a full 24 hours before release is unlikely.

I'd add to the litany of people who'd suggest that 24 hours in advance might be better - not least because in Europe it's reasonably common to get games ordered online the day *before* the official release date.

Then again, I guess that's still only going to be a factor for titles released first in Europe; not sure if such a thing is particularly prevalent in the US.

Alienous

Quite consistently copies of games are available in the days preceding release. I kind of think having the |OT| out day of release will just lead to more early impression threads.

A week may have been excessive, but I think a 2 days prior system would reduce much of the noise that occurs when a game has an |OT| but is a week away.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is bad arbitrary decision that will have a negative effect on every |OT| instead of just the few that need some attention.

Since there is no point arguing about the greater point, people should be allowed to post |OT|s 24/48 hours early with mods locking them then opening them when the mythical hour occurs. This will help out with the time zone/peoples sleep pattern issues where they can't be available at the specific hour and it will allow people to browse the information about the game prior to launch.

This is a videogame forum, its sole purpose is to discuss videogames. OT's are not information hubs that should be locked down. If you want game info, go to the game website or Wikipedia. Besides, if it's locked it will sink to the 10th page in no-time unless it gets stickied. The purpose of an OT is to have a collective place where all discussion regarding a game can be held. Hype talk is one of those purposes.

What if a mod isn't around at the time a game goes live? What when a game releases early [like Alien Isolation]? What if you were able to buy the game a few days early and want to talk about it, ask something or need [technical] assistance? With PAL territories still releasing 2 to 3 days after US does, this whole concept kind of goes right out the window for those users since they'll come into an OT that's been going for 3 days already.

I don't understand restricting discussions about a game on a game forum.

Raptomex

Sounds good. But wasn't the Smash Bros. OT out way before it should have been? Then again it was out in Japan first.

wormania

Dislike this change. Lots of people ask questions/get answers about games in the week running up to launch, as well as being a general dump place for information that's interesting to people interested in the game, but not stand-alone topic worthy.
It also gave the OT creators and contributors time to get as much stuff as possible in the top post so that when people just arriving on launch day get there, all available resources are at hand.

Monocle

I get the reasoning, but it would be nice to consolidate general pre-release discussion (the kind that doesn't fall under the heading of new news) in one place per game. How are we going to deal with that? Separate pre-release threads that are closed when the OTs go up?

Without a place to host the conversations we traditionally have in an OT the week before launch, I'd expect to see general discussion scattered across all of the active threads about that game. Not ideal.

So guys, this is kinda off topic (but not really). How are we gonna handle Bayonetta?

I think there are a lot of people, like me, who want to play the Digital Foundry anointed definitive edition original on Wii U before jumping into the sequel. So will we have to bump the old Bayo 1 thread or can we have a new one for the Wii U release? I'm just curious.

Also, as someone first suggested on the first page, I do like the idea of day before release. I think it'll work great to get the hype started just before release. I suspect people will be busy playing day of release and the thread will be pretty barebones of actual discussion until much later, once everyone's put the game down to come up for air. I could be wrong though. I'm fine either way.
An OT for each game would make sense, right?

Vert boil

This is a videogame forum, its sole purpose is to discuss videogames. OT's are not information hubs that should be locked down. If you want game info, go to the game website or Wikipedia. Besides, if it's locked it will sink to the 10th page in no-time unless it gets stickied. The purpose of an OT is to have a collective place where all discussion regarding a game can be held. Hype talk is one of those purposes.

What if a mod isn't around at the time a game goes live? What when a game releases early [like Alien Isolation]? What if you were able to buy the game a few days early and want to talk about it, ask something or need [technical] assistance? With PAL territories still releasing 2 to 3 days after US does, this whole concept kind of goes right out the window for those users since they'll come into an OT that's been going for 3 days already.

I don't understand restricting discussions about a game on a game forum.

Pro-tip: Actually read the post you are replying to.

If you did, you'd have notice that I don't agree with this decision at all, but given that it'll go forward anyways, put forward a suggestion that would solve the problem that would arise with the new rule that would put a insurmountable obstacle in front of many people.

Trike

Good, it makes sense. Big game releases are usually the ones suffering from these issues and they usually have multiple threads beforehand (reviews, launch trailer, gone gold, etc) to be overhyped in, for better or worse. So it's not like there are zero places to discuss the game.

Gattsu25

Banned
I like the change.

For people looking for preorder advice, the review threads should cover that functionality (boo-fucking-hoo to the games with day-and-date review embargoes)

old

I like this. I never liked going into the an OT thread on launch day just to see my comment buried underneath a week's worth of comments on page 127. Makes me feel like I'm LTTP even though it's launch day.

I agree a week in advance is too much, but 24/48 hours would make more sense considering that sometimes people lose track of release dates and someone can see a thread and go "oh yeah, that is coming out tomorrow".

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Great change I get really intimated when I go to post and it's already on page 25, now people will be able to ignore my posts on page 2.

Top Bottom