• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| topics will now go live on game launch date

Aeana

You were explaining why policy change is sometimes the best course of action - which is fair - so it seemed logical to ask why user feedback would not be considered at the time of such a change.

Nobody said user feedback wasn't being considered, though. Changes beyond what's outlined in the first post need to be discussed by the staff as a whole.

Dawg

Question: if the NA release date is 15/10, can an European member post the OT (if he is the creator) at 00:01 considering the ~6-8 hour time difference would mean it is still 14/10 in NA?

Nobody said user feedback wasn't being considered, though. Changes beyond what's outlined in the first post need to be discussed by the staff as a whole.
Aeana, what avenues are feedback collected through though? I just mean I haven't seen places where the general community's opinions or views are taken into consideration via threads or polls or anything, at least in this specific decision.

Aeana

Question: if the NA release date is 15/10, can an European member post the OT (if he is the creator) at 00:01 considering the ~6-8 hour time difference would mean it is still 14/10 in NA?

Don't sweat it too much. There's a bit of leeway here, just like there always was.

Aeana, what avenues are feedback collected through though? I just mean I haven't seen places where the general community's opinions or views are taken into consideration via threads or polls or anything, at least in this specific decision.

People are making posts, and we read the posts. We're not going to do polls for policy, shinobi.

I understand this decission after seeing Smash got 17th OT even before the game is launched. That's shit ton of server load.

Smash was different due to the Picture Of The Day

None of those threads were OT threads, they were POTD threads. When the game came out in Japan the first of the 3 (so far) OT threads was made, while the POTD thread(s) were kept going as POTD will remain till WiiU launch (iirc)

Trojan

Good reasoning, although I do sometimes enjoy the frothing-at-the-mouth levels of hype from week-early OTs.

I will now take my frothing to the Borderlands Pre-Sequel thread, the last bastion of week-early OTs.

Zareka

I like this, but I agree with those saying day of release is a little bit late. A day or two before hand would be better imo.

I prefer this approach. The more insular the communities become, the less I'm interested in posting in those threads. Too quickly hype threads become pointless and eventually toxic.

Destiny was a good example of a game that quickly spawned a lot of conflict on GAF between the kids in the hype club and those outside. It made the board unbearable for a week or two.

I feel it should be the day before. The day of its just going to be page after page of people saying "just picked it up, loving it so far" or people not posting at all because they're playing it.

autoduelist

I... actually like OT first posts because they're so informative and I often check them before I preorder a game (for release day shipping). So I'll kind of miss them not being up early, but I understand the reasoning.

I really like the 24 hours (or better, 48) earlier suggestion though.

antitrop

Even though review threads are already widely considered cess-pools, I feel like the lack of an OT when a review thread goes up much earlier will collect much of what this change is supposedly cutting away.

We already saw this happen with The Last of Us last year, with its like... 2 week prior to release review embargo. The review thread was like a 2 week long OT before the OT.

Now that will happen with any game that has a review embargo up days before release. There will be spontaneous interim-OTs. The "hype" will manifest somewhere, it won't just disappear. At worst, it will derail other threads. We're gonna sit here and play whack-a-mole with hype trains, now?

Gray Matter

Yes. I think this destiny OT, the first one reached an absurd amount of pages before the game came out.

Although I think there should still be at least 1-3 days when the OT goes up.

dani_dc

I think this will work well for big games, but smaller/niche games might suffer. They usually don't get much discussion or news before release to begin with, and OT proved an opportunity to bring discussion of those titles to light before their release.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Even though review threads are already widely considered cess-pools, I feel like the lack of an OT when a review thread goes up much earlier will collect much of what this change is supposedly cutting away.

We already saw this happen with The Last of Us last year, with its like... 2 week prior to release review embargo. The review thread was like a 2 week long OT before the OT.

Now that will happen with any game that has a review embargo up days before release. There will be spontaneous interim-OTs. The "hype" will manifest somewhere, it won't just disappear. At worst, it will derail other threads. We're gonna sit here and play whack-a-mole with hype trains, now?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do away with review threads at some point. They don't really serve any point that isn't also served by the OT, other than being a pre-release OT under the new rule.

They are also some of the worst examples of what I mentioned before, where communities form around a game before release, and review topics are often some of the most toxic and unwelcoming topics around unless you're in maximum hype mode like everyone else posting in them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I understand this decission after seeing Smash got 17th OT even before the game is launched. That's shit ton of server load.

I agreed that Smash OT and POTD threads probably got shitload of server loads. However I would like to point out something. Those 17 threads aren't OT. It's for daily updates that Sakurai uploaded to his website for Smash Bros. Most of times, it contain a brand new information so I'm pretty sure that some people would be thrilled to see POTD threads came to end in couple of months.

ekgrey

im really happy to see this. I really don't care for hype and usually avoid pre-ordering so I love the idea of being able to use the OT as a place to gather information about the game in question, not people's frothing expectations.

Sounds good. I never understood why they went up a week early anyway. Seems more reasonable to have it up on launch date.

Just from my personal experience, I don't follow every game on the way, so to have an OT at least a week early gives me some idea and maybe some time to decide since there is (presumably) a large aggregate of information available.

I also don't mind the idea of OTs going up a day or two before release either. I see both sides though. I've had experiences in the past where I criticized a game and got a few upset reactions by it and I've seen it enough to never really want to post in OTs. Though I also see what people are saying in that people will just take the hype elsewhere. Then again I'm not really a "get hype!" kind of person so what do I know.

Velcro Fly

Seems fair. Seeing OTs up a week in advance just makes me want the game more. Nothing real constructive there other than seeing reviews and such but there are often review threads anyway.

Radec

A day before official release would have been better.

I love seeing those "my package is now shipping" hype.

I'm okay with this. I agree the 24 hour tweak is reasonable and goes a long way but I like the explanations given. Nirolak's post is helpful too

Lucent

Hmm, I think some of the most fun and 'hype-inducing' convos happen in the week lead up to a game's release, that's too bad.

Yeah. But then we also get people who get the game early and come in saying "it's not all that great" or maybe some trolls that just do stuff to try to put the game in a bad light and stuff.

But anyway, I guess this is okay. It makes a lot of sense. I think that day before would be nice though for those midnight launches where people are on the edge of their seat waiting for the game to unlock or pick it up at a midnight launch.

EDIT: I guess if people constantly posting "almost there! Just 2 hours" and stuff counts towards why they don't want the OT before the day of, I guess nevermind. lol

Banned
Good. Having it start a week early became redundant ever since we had the "new news new thread" approach. We get like 3-4 threads dedicated to each new release.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm with the other people in this thread who suggested a 24h window before release.

This would also save the OT's creator obligation to be standing by at midnight to post the thread asap.

Just from my personal experience, I don't follow every game on the way, so to have an OT at least a week early gives me some idea and maybe some time to decide since there is (presumably) a large aggregate of information available
Now you can decide from an aggregate of information from people that have actually played the game.

The only thing you miss out on is getting a game day one if you get it shipped to your house.

theJohann

Just from my personal experience, I don't follow every game on the way, so to have an OT at least a week early gives me some idea and maybe some time to decide since there is (presumably) a large aggregate of information available.

I agree, this is the primary function most OTs have for me. They usually contain good summaries of relevant information.

Prototype

I'm on the 24 hours before launch side.

A day before to gather hype get people going and take I the greatness of a well done OT before enjoying a new game.

Either way it's not the end of the world.

Exr

The circlejerking in some OTs pre release were pretty rampant. I only wonder if that jerking factor will be mitigated into other threads with this new rule in place.

The Llama

what about some Japanese titles that have 6+ month gaps? seeing as the forum is predominantly English speaking, you might want to consider that too.
Does that have an impact now? I agree with what you're saying and all, but I don't see how that's any different with this change.

ExoSoul

Banned
I'll abide but I was actually glad the OTs were pre-release since they've reminded me of games I had forgotten about but was interested and when there was mixed information I had time to sort that out as well.

I have to ask, since OTs are to house discussion around a title does that mean that the review threads are now part of the OTs as it has been done on a smaller scale lately?

It just seems redundant to have two threads for the same game on the same day, specially when the content of one ends up spilling into the other.

Lady Gaia

what about some Japanese titles that have 6+ month gaps? seeing as the forum is predominantly English speaking, you might want to consider that too.

Yup. I was just thinking about this, and I think that when there's more than a month between releases it make sense to have a thread for each release "cluster." Some games take even longer than 6 months to localize, making the North American release feel like it calls for a LTTP thread if there's only one |OT| thread.

Aeana

Yup. I was just thinking about this, and I think that when there's more than a month between releases it make sense to have a thread for each release "cluster." Some games take even longer than 6 months to localize, making the North American release feel like it calls for a LTTP thread if there's only one |OT| thread.

We have had and will continue to have separate threads for this. This has been the case this entire time and isn't changing.

Top Bottom