• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast: Whistleblower |OT| May 6th, 2014 / PC & PS4 / $8.99

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Click the header to see the official trailer.

Outlast: Whistleblower follows the story of Waylon Park, the software engineer under contract with the Murkoff Corporation who emails journalists around the world - including Miles Upshur - at the beginning of Outlast.

Players meet Waylon a few weeks into his time at Mount Massive, during which he has been unable to even contact his wife and son thanks to strict security protocols. Having developed a deep-seated distrust of the profit-motivated scientists and doctors leading dangerous and irresponsible experiments on their patients, Waylon ends up setting events in motion that lead to the unmasking of Mount Massive's rotten core.

Whistleblower starts the story that led to Outlast, and stretches past the events of the first game to show the true final chapter in the story of Mount Massive Asylum.

http://redbarrelsgames.com/

oCeWKIh.jpg

jDhs4M9.png

With the official thread buried somewhere in the community ghetto, I figured we should have a new thread for the Whistleblower add on. At nine dollars it should be a fairly substantial chunk of DLC. Outlast was awesome and I'm pretty excited for more pants-shitting action. This OP is pretty tiny but aside from the trailer there isn't much media available for this. Better to experience it for yourself, anyways. If you haven't already check out the original game for sure.

Probably not going to play this quite yet because I have still not fully recovered from Outlast prime. This does look appropriately demented, which is a good thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hardly scary....just turn off the the volume like my little bro did to beat the game

I would wager that most horror games would lose their edge without audio. It's a very important part of the experience. But yeah, Outlast did rely a little too much on jump scares if that's what you're getting at.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still cant bring myself to finish the main game.

So bloody scary.
Once I understood the ways in which it was broken it kind of lost that edge for me. In my favorite horror games atmosphere is build up and a sense of dread is created through the use of audio, visuals, and concepts. Some of the best stuff in horror game isn't even dangerous or difficult but the end results are terrifying.

Outlast is way too in your face and relies almost entirely on jump scares and loud noises. The AI is broken and cheats constantly (ie - appearing in places they could not possibly be in just because the player crossed an invisible line). They tried to make it a stealth horror game but the stealth just isn't any good due to bad AI. :\

I would wager that most horror games would lose their edge without audio. It's a very important part of the experience. But yeah, Outlast did rely a little too much on jump scares if that's what you're getting at.
Yeah all horror games would lose a lot without audio but, as you noted, Outlast just abuses jump scares.

I'm excited! I absolutely loved Outlast and the asylum setting especially. Hopefully for 9 bucks this DLC is at least 2 hours though...

boeso

Will buy.

Anyone know if the Amnesia games are coming to PS4? I have a load of adult diapers I need to get through.

May end up getting it. Dunno. I was really, really impressed with Outlast when I started it. But it never really brought anything new to the table and only seemed to get less interesting the more I played (aside from a few good moments). The final area in particular was quite disappointing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Will buy.

Anyone know if the Amnesia games are coming to PS4? I have a load of adult diapers I need to get through.

Frictional made some vague comment several months about "looking into" bringing Amnesia to PS4, but it seems unlikely at this point. Soma, their follow-up to Amnesia is definitely coming to PS4, though....in 2015. :(

AkuMifune

Banned
Really excited for this, but hope the formula has evolved a bit from 'turn two switches on opposites sides of a level".

I loved Outlast, but if we're not going to have combat (which I'm fine with) they need to think of more creative things for people to do.

PC Version of Outlast has no Achievements, is there any chance that they add it with the DLC?
I'm past my achievement whoring days at the docks, but would have really liked them for Outlast! Proof I'm not scerred. ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I loved Outlast, but if we're not going to have combat (which I'm fine with) they need to think of more creative things for people to do.

Speaking of combat, for both Outlast and Amnesia I would love to play a mod that gives you like, the Doom marine's arsenal or something so you can do back with BFG's and chainsaws and shit and just destroy all those freaks that terrorized you the first time around. It would be so cathartic.

boeso

Frictional made some vague comment several months about "looking into" bringing Amnesia to PS4, but it seems unlikely at this point. Soma, their follow-up to Amnesia is definitely coming to PS4, though....in 2015. :(

Gaah! Here's hoping! These diapers aren't going to shit themselves.

ReaperXL7

Good store update on Tuesday it looks like. We got Sports friends, Stick it to the Man, and now WhistleBlower. Good stuff.

Yes! I finally get to give Red Barrels money.

Watching a stream this morning of a guy playing "Outlast" for the first time was hilarious

Also that pic of him licking the blade is absolutely terrifying.

Aim_Ed

As amazing as Outlast was, it wasn't as scary as some of you make it out to be. o_O

That being said, I loved the game. Day 1

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good store update on Tuesday it looks like. We got Sports friends, Stick it to the Man, and now WhistleBlower. Good stuff.

There's also Daylight, but first impressions/reviews are pretty poor, sadly. Whistleblower lessens the sting, but I would have been happy to gobble up another quality horror game.

camaropilot

Can't wait! Outlast is the first game to genuinely scare me in a long time! Day 1 for me as well, but I need to finish the main story first!

I loved Outlast. The atmosphere and the brilliant effects when using the camera made the game. I have so many screenshots from my play through.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Safe to assume that it should be 2 hours long or so?

No chance that it's as long as the main game, correct?

I've searched for details on length, but there's nothing out there at the moment. 2-ish hours would be my guess as well.

AkuMifune

Banned
Speaking of combat, for both Outlast and Amnesia I would love to play a mod that gives you like, the Doom marine's arsenal or something so you can do back with BFG's and chainsaws and shit and just destroy all those freaks that terrorized you the first time around. It would be so cathartic.

Hah, yeah I had the same thought after finishing it. That they should let you run through once more with the Doom shotgun.

Same with Gone Home. :/

More Outlast is great news. I'm super psyched. As far as the broken stuff around the AI, it's only really noticeable if you die a lot. I found playing on normal had me dying just enough to keep it scary, but not enough to see the gaps. I'd started on hard, and dropping down was definitely the right move.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Do you need the base game to play this? What if you got Outlast from Plus and you buy this and your PS+ expires?

Well, technically, you'd own the DLC, but not the basegame, forcing you to buy the game to play the DLC. But I doubt the DLC would disappear from your account when PS+ expires. I have no experience with it at all though so don't take my word for it.

jaypah

I'm still playing through the main game because I refuse to play it without headphones and my scary ass brain refuses to let me play it with headphones, which leads me to playing on 15-20 minute chunks.

For as flawed as the base game was I enjoyed it, so this is absolutely where my money once earmarked for Daylight will be going.

Well, technically, you'd own the DLC, but not the basegame, forcing you to buy the game to play the DLC. But I doubt the DLC would disappear from your account when PS+ expires. I have no experience with it at all though so don't take my word for it.

You still own the dlc since you paid for it, won't be able to play it since you don't own Outlast.

Kaswa101

I still need to finish Insane Mode. Is it really hard? I did the collectibles already; played the game twice on the easiest difficulty. :p

Beating Outlast on Insane was incredibly gratifying. I can't wait to give Red Barrels my monies for this.

I still need to finish Insane Mode. Is it really hard? I did the collectibles already; played the game twice on the easiest difficulty. :p

It's not super hard to do. You just need to recognize some of the baddies' patterns really.

I've searched for details on length, but there's nothing out there at the moment. 2-ish hours would be my guess as well.

If it goes before and after the main story (I suppose like RE2 to RE3:Nemesis does), I'd hope for something at least as lengthy as that crazed naked man's...knife?

I actually just tried insane last night. Did a stupid and got cornered in the prison, though "Whelp, not trying that again!"

Top Bottom