• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast: Whistleblower |OT| May 6th, 2014 / PC & PS4 / $8.99

hohoXD123

Just finished this in just over 2 hours. Worth it in my opinion.

Much more gruesome, great tense enemy encounters and it gave me the biggest scare i've had in the last few years.

The elevated platform in the prison courtyard, you year yelling and talking from both sides, distracting you from whats in front. When I resumed walking there was a guy running full speed at me
. Jesus christ, thank god my mouse is corded, else it would have flown far away.

Do you need to have finished the game to start the DLC? Finished it on PC but was thinking of getting the DLC on PS4.

Nemic77

About the ending:
Seriously thought they were gonna pull the carpet twice, yet they didn't. Weird, but nice ending.
Edit:Also it is worth it if you liked Outlast. More gore, scares, and a nice wrap up to the first game with the usual documents.

Yeah, I guess they did listen to the fans.

Do you need to have finished the game to start the DLC? Finished it on PC but was thinking of getting the DLC on PS4.

Nope. You can jump right into the DLC.

More like fingerblower or fingerkisser, amiright? Seriously, that picture is weird. I know it is supposed to be a "shush" but...I'm getting a little sexual energy from it...

More like fingerblower or fingerkisser, amiright? Seriously, that picture is weird. I know it is supposed to be a "shush" but...I'm getting a little sexual energy from it...

image.php

I finished it, great DLC.
Definitely worth $8.99 (on a side note; I think it's way better than Daylight, a full game, which was $9.59 with the PS Plus discount). lol

Glad y'all are liking it, I'll probably pull the trigger on this over the weekend. More Outlast is good by me as I had a blast with the main game.

Chabbles

Now that was fucking brilliant, BRILLIANT!. I cant fault it. It is without fault.10/10.
Im going to buy it again for the PS4 to play on the big screen.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished Outlast: Whistleblower DLC. Here comes my impressions~

header_292x136.jpg

The DLC for Outlast, Whistleblower, is more or less more the same. And that'll either be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. They do switch up stuff, and they have a few new interesting stalkers, and a narrative that ties in well with the game. But still, it for better or worse feels like an expansion of the game. If this is what you're looking for, you'll be very pleased. If you wanted something more different, this may not be it.

One thing I noticed is that they tried to be a lot more radical with this one. And by radical, I mean they wanted to disturb the player and really make them feel uncomfortable. There's a specific section of the DLC that might really turn some people off, and this feels like the intended effect. And they deal with more radical ideas. It's hard to talk about this without spoiling elements of the DLC, but just know if you're easily offended, disgusted, or have an issue with nudity, it is here in the forefront and trying to offend those with weaker appetites for the deranged.

SPOILER:
There's a whole section where you run around naked from a guy who's trying to cut your dick off and make you into his dream woman, A few interesting scenes of castration and zoom-ins on penises aplenty. Also a scene shown of a woman's body completely violated and her vagina just ripped to shreds.

You spend a little more time outside than you did in the main game, and most of the areas are new in the DLC (and those that you revisit have twists on them). There's also more on the overall story and outcome of the events that happened in the main game, so for those interested story-wise, it expands some on the universe and fallout from the events of the main game, as well as telling the personal story of somebody new who goes through the incident from beginning to end.

One thing I was curious about the DLC was how encounters would differ. One of the biggest flaws of the original game was that the encounters got very predictable after a while. Whistleblower does mix things up some, but honestly it was less different than I was hoping. There's no segments of 'Go to three points and exit' like the original game, and I noticed a bigger presence of back-tracking that I recalled there being in the original game. A few encounters were set-up to start at different points, but they do feel like the same sort of thing. Though I did find the areas to be more designed to allow you to sneak around.

ss_07ac8d0341a5a5492f8ede289455526e37339b41.600x338.jpg

The new stalkers (of which there are two new main ones of) are both enjoyable. One makes a very distinct sound, which makes his encounters much more audio-based. The other is deliciously deranged, and charismatic. You also encounter a few of the first game's stalkers once or twice, but notably they seem to have chosen the stalkers that didn't appear much in the original game either.

The DLC I would place at 2-4 hours long. It took me 3 & a half hours to complete it, but I got confused at a few segments of what I needed to do, and took some time to look at things.

It's well-made, and really does feel like an expansion. If that's what you want, more Outlast, this is it. And it's good. However, if Outlast dragged on you, then this is more of it. It's well-made, but not really all that different. There are some fun encounters and moments, however. But heed that it all gets more messed-up than the original game.

A good piece of DLC that maybe isn't revolutionary or all that different from the main game, but is still well-made and worth experiencing if you happened to like the main game.

header_292x136.jpg

You spend a little more time outside than you did in the main game, and most of the areas are new in the DLC (and those that you revisit have twists on them). There's also more on the overall story and outcome of the events that happened in the main game, so for those interested story-wise, it expands some on the universe and fallout from the events of the main game, as well as telling the personal story of somebody new who goes through the incident from beginning to end..

Awesome write up, Dusk Golem!

I'm glad that the environments are mostly new, as exploring a new area in the original game was such a highlight, and more outside time is also a plus!

I had a blast with the main game, so I will probably love this. It's a little dissapointing that it sounds like they didn't experiment with the formula much, but I'll certainly take some new environments, stalkers, and scares.

Spoo

SPOILER:
There's a whole section where you run around naked from a guy who's trying to cut your dick off and make you into his dream woman, A few interesting scenes of castration and zoom-ins on penises aplenty. Also a scene shown of a woman's body completely violated and her vagina just ripped to shreds.

I'm being really nitpicky here but: it's a man's body. The breasts are sewn on (stuffed?)

I just finished the expansion myself; it took me longer to digest than the core game, probably because of how much work they did to really up the ante in terms of the macabre. I don't use the word often -- this is really violent, grotesque stuff, and people who were hitting their personal limit on Outlast need not visit Whistleblower.

If you can stomach it, Whistleblower is more intense and frightening than most of the original game, but it suffers a little from lack of build up (the game took me ~1.5 hours, and I didn't really rush). It can kind of come off like a "greatest hits" of Outlast, up until the last 30 minutes where the game really comes into its own, and even does a little fan service for those who want a bit of connective tissue between the expansion and the original. It has a much more satisfying ending in my eyes, and wraps up things nicely.

Thankfully, the design of the progression here is much, much smoother. Gone are the "find X number of Y" objectives, though the game does still put you in harms way for keys and such. You spend a lot less time dealing with flora and fauna if you will, and more time with 2 really well-designed and characterized baddies. The latter of which is horrifying and really made the game for me.

You'll see a lot of the same stuff environment wise, so if you dug Outlast's interior and exterior areas, there's more to like here with only one kind of annoying area; it's easy to get turned around, yet somehow I never found it too difficult to figure out where the game wanted me to go, and I got there usually in a very "organic" way.

Overall, I feel like it's a tighter package than the original game (both in good ways and bad ways), but see Whistleblower to its conclusion and you'll appreciate the ride, even if you might not feel inclined to take it again.

Fady K

God, Outlast is one of my favorite horror games - ever. It was surprising how it has elements of another niche horror game (series) called Clock Tower, which i also loved.

So happy Red Barrels made more to the game so soon after the PS4 release (a perfect port IMO). Can't wait to play this in the weekend :D!

Thanks for the write up Dusk! Great impressions that are fun to read, as always :D

red731

Watched Lirik's stream yesterday, close to midnight, full playthrough.

IT was oka.......omgfkljsdflkaj4;l2342er'2 fd3a5sdf
I was crying and manicaly laughing to hide my fear. Literally there were tears running down my face.

I had finished Outlast, but this is the same, but at the same time different.
Heart rate up the freaking roof.

Wanted to NOPE ouf the stream many times.

Fady K

Some day I will man up and finish the first game. Some day.

Prinny! Nice to see you here mate. Congrats from a fellow Chelsea fan on making the finals! Hope you beat Real to both the title and the champions league ;D

On the topic of this game, it is scary as hell and I had to play it in the day at times haha, but it is *great*!

The Ending ..so satisfying.^__^

Music to my ears. I was hoping to have a satisfying ending after I was not too happy about the original's ending. Looking forward to it!

Cudder

Just finished this a few minutes ago, took me about 3 hours. This was a fucking awesome piece of DLC.

The story was way more interesting this time, and the last third of the game just elevates the whole thing to a new level. This game has some seriously fucked up shit in it, I was kind of surprised how far they took it.

The tie-ins to the main game were great, and it all concluded on a very satisfying note.

I will say that because I knew original Outlast inside and out (encounter wise), it did take some tension out of some of the chases/encounters. I basically knew "how to handle" the enemies.

Still, this was really, really great. It starts off good, and just keeps getting better and better. Overall this was just as, if not more memorable than the first game, to me.

Kudos Red Barrels.

Fady K

Just finished this a few minutes ago, took me about 3 hours. This was a fucking awesome piece of DLC.

The story was way more interesting this time, and the last third of the game just elevates the whole thing to a new level. This game has some seriously fucked up shit in it, I was kind of surprised how far they took it.

The tie-ins to the main game were great, and it all concluded on a very satisfying note.

I will say that because I knew original Outlast inside and out (encounter wise), it did take some tension out of some of the chases/encounters. I basically knew "how to handle" the enemies.

Still, this was really, really great. It starts off good, and just keeps getting better and better. Overall this was just as, if not more memorable than the first game, to me.

Kudos Red Barrels.

Oh man . This is the kind of impression I was dreaming of reading, thank you Cudder :D So so excited ^^

angrygnat

Started the download last night. Went to bed and got up a few minutes early to make sure it "took". Fired it up and played the first 10 minutes. Seems like the same creepy tone from Outlast is being set immediately, which is good for a horror game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I should have time to play this tonight, but in the meantime I'm curious...does the whistleblower also use a video camera as a light source or is it something else?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I should have time to play this tonight, but in the meantime I'm curious...does the whistleblower also use a video camera as a light source or is it something else?

Also a video camera. There's a reason he gets one, but it's a bit shoe-horned in, but works.

Man I can't wait to play this. Awesome reading so many good impressions here too! Outlast became my new favorite survival horror game when I beat it on ps4 a few months back. I'll be playing through the dlc this weekend!

JLeack

Banned
I hope this DLC is more well designed than the original game. Outlast to me was boring. It over did its scares with too many lame chases.

Melchiah

Goddammit! I couldn't resist buying the DLC, eventhough I still haven't finished the main game. The lure of horror is just too strong to resist, which is why I ended up buying Daylight last week. My question is, is it ill-advised to play the DLC before finishing the main game, will it spoil anything? I just thought, based on the comments about less fetch objectives, that maybe this would suit me better than the main game, which I found frustrating due to the fail-and-try-again sections like the generator room.

Goddammit! I couldn't resist buying the DLC, eventhough I still haven't finished the main game. The lure of horror is just too strong to resist, which is why I ended up buying Daylight last week. My question is, is it ill-advised to play the DLC before finishing the main game, will it spoil anything? I just thought, based on the comments about less fetch objectives, that maybe this would suit me better than the main game, which I found frustrating due to the fail-and-try-again sections like the generator room.

There are a couple references towards events from the main game that you won't understand I guess but nothing major ("I remember that part from the main game" type stuff).

Edit: If you made it at least past the Crazy Doctor part on the main game you should be in the clear spoiler-wise. Also keep in mind the beginning of Whistleblower starts off where Outlast ends (area-wise not story-wise I mean).

Melchiah

There are a couple references towards events from the main game that you won't understand I guess but nothing major ("I remember that part from the main game" type stuff).

If you made it at least past the Crazy Doctor part on the main game you should be in the clear spoiler-wise.

I never went past the generator part. :/ I enjoyed the atmosphere leading up to it, but the repetition killed it. I may just try the DLC first, and see if it works better for me.

The level design seems really sloppy and at times confusing in Whistleblower. It's been a pretty good piece of DLC so far, but I definitely enjoyed the base game more.

Anung

Un Rama
Finished. Took me 2:51 minutes (recorded myself playing it). Thought that was miles (no pun intended) better than the main campaign.

A question regarding the ending:
When Waylon is finally outside the asylum and in Miles car, is that shadowy figure seen in the camcorder Miles infected by the Walrider?

Ughh i just picked this up. Some of the scenes are so disturbing, such as
Obviously, the only logical move is forced gender reassignment surgery performed by a man in a tuxedo. Clearly, you need a man masturbating over a pile of mutilated corpses. Of course, someone must chase the protagonist down with a buzzing bonesaw. Obviously.

The Groom – he's the one with a violent obsession for turning a male patient into his loving wife – isn't even the weirdest part of Outlast's "Whistleblower" DLC. Everything in Whistleblower is turned up to 11 – the blood, the twisting layout of the building, the number of bodies hanging from the rafters, the nudity and the sexual exploits of the patients of Mount Massive Asylum.

From this article: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/06/outlast-whistleblower-review-dismemberment-plan/

Gender reassignment surgery!

I played through the DLC today.

Overall I think (while a few hours shorter) the follow up maintains the same level of quality and features some of the creepiest moments of the two. The additional characters are inventive and disturbing and it seems as though the gore and sexual violence has been turned up even further. I'm actually surprised how far the game took some of it's content. A brave move by the developers.

The story is well told and wrapped up very nicely. It fixes the
cliffhanger ending
of the original and leaves the door open for a sequel / further DLC.

Anyone on the fence, if you liked the original this is certainly worth the asking price. Took me around 3-4hrs.

Whistleblower is very extreme. I can't believe it! The first amendment the US makes this level of insanity possible. I also works really well on the vita! My Ps4 is about 20 miles away, (my brother has it), and i have been playing whistleblower on remote play! Here is a picture. (i didnt use the screenshot feature on purpose, i want to show it actually playing on the Vita)
Tvgi1Kb.jpg

I just got it! I'm only like 15 or 20 minutes into the game so far (it felt like a lot longer, as terror slows down time for me) and I had to take a break at the
buzz saw wielding cannibal
. So fuckin scary. He reminds me a little of the Doctor from the main game in that
you can tell where he is by the scary ass weapon he's using (trading the snipping of scissors for the buzzing of a saw blade).
it's great so far--I really enjoy Outlast's method of storytelling, the documents and notes offer a brief respite from the horror and are usually pretty entertaining or interesting to read. I also liked getting to see some more people that weren't inmates.

I'm gonna take my time this go around and make greater use of the share button to capture some screenshots as I didnt really do that in the main game.

Speaking of screenshots, would any of you guys be interested in setting up a screenshot contest or thread for this game like there is for Infamous? This game was made for screenshots, and I've already taken a bunch of great ones and would like to see what other people can come up with as well.

Whistleblower is very extreme. I can't believe it! The first amendment the US makes this level of insanity possible. I also works really well on the vita! My Ps4 is about 20 miles away, (my brother has it), and i have been playing whistleblower on remote play! Here is a picture. (i didnt use the screenshot feature on purpose, i want to show it actually playing on the Vita)

yeah I just played a bit more doing remote play on Vita. It was a great/terrible decision as it was terrifying playing this in the dark with headphones on. The controls translate really well to remote play too, although it kept bringing up my notes at annoying times and I didn't think I was hitting the back touch panel.

The
jump scare when the cannibal accosts you in the crematorium
got me real good.

Top Bottom