• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast: Whistleblower |OT| May 6th, 2014 / PC & PS4 / $8.99

I still need to finish Insane Mode. Is it really hard? I did the collectibles already; played the game twice on the easiest difficulty. :p

it wasnt THAT bad...i watched a guide to get a feel for some parts on insane, then once u know the tricks to the AI it makes it pretty easy. I streamed my run, unfortunately it was before u could archive :(

This still hitting PS4 tomorrow? It wasn't listed on the PSN Blog re: store updates this week :\

I figured Red Barrel would have said something so I'm assuming it'll be out tomorrow but just found it strange that the PS Blog didn't mention it, especially in light of what a drubbing Daylight has gotten in terms of response.

Fady K

This still hitting PS4 tomorrow? It wasn't listed on the PSN Blog re: store updates this week :\

I figured Red Barrel would have said something so I'm assuming it'll be out tomorrow but just found it strange that the PS Blog didn't mention it, especially in light of what a drubbing Daylight has gotten in terms of response.

I believe the "Drop" did not mention it because it is a DLC release. No updates about any delays of the game from Red Barrel; should hit tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

daman824

Count me out. Game was only interesting until you saw right through the scares. That game can't scare me anymore. So many buttons and levers.....

-MD-

I didn't really find Outlast scary but I'll check out Whistleblower, not full price though.

I believe the "Drop" did not mention it because it is a DLC release. No updates about any delays of the game from Red Barrel; should hit tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Ahh good point. I guess I didn't notice TLoU's DLC non-mention on the Drop because it's been plastered all over everywhere else. Still strikes me a bit odd though that I hadn't seen anything on the blog recently re: Whistleblower, seeing as how Outlast has been one of the more touted titles available to PS4 owners via PS+.

Anyways, tomorrow is going to be a fun day. I get to sink my teeth into TLoU's new difficulty, play some Sportsfriends, and get the crap scared out of me all over again with Whistleblower.

Fady K

Ahh good point. I guess I didn't notice TLoU's DLC non-mention on the Drop because it's been plastered all over everywhere else. Still strikes me a bit odd though that I hadn't seen anything on the blog recently re: Whistleblower, seeing as how Outlast has been one of the more touted titles available to PS4 owners via PS+.

Anyways, tomorrow is going to be a fun day. I get to sink my teeth into TLoU's new difficulty, play some Sportsfriends, and get the crap scared out of me all over again with Whistleblower.

Yeah, I noticed that the drops didn't mention DLCs when I didn't see TLOU's being mentioned there. The big news about Whistleblower IMO is that it serves as a prequel AND a sequel. God I hope this DLC is long and awesome :D

Honestly, the amount of content we get on the PSN these days is staggering. Including the stuff you mentioned above, we are getting a traditional adventure game (Stick it to the Man on PS4) , a traditional point & click adventure game (Broken Sword 5 on the Vita), a football simulation game (Football Manager on the Vita), a visual novel game (Hakouki), an arcadey game (Titan Attacks), a free to play Ace Combat game, the next big PSN RPG (Transistor) - all this month. Loving the variety these days.

jdevil99

Can't wait to get back to this game. This DLC is a perfect excuse. It was a flawed but enjoyable experience that I don't regret buying on steam and then re-playing the free ps+ release. Pretty sure I'll grab it for ps4 only this go around. It'll wash the bad taste of Daylight out of my mouth.

Jaroof

I would love to get this, as I loved the first half of Outlast, but the
big guy chasing you around as you try to get to multiple switches to proceed
got a little redundant. Couldn't bring myself to finish the game because of that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would love to get this, as I loved the first half of Outlast, but the
big guy chasing you around as you try to get to multiple switches to proceed
got a little redundant. Couldn't bring myself to finish the game because of that.

In an interview they did a few days ago, the developers stated they took the feedback from the main game for the DLC. With the DLC they assume people playing it have played and beat Outlast, and as such you play as a character who knows what's going on. They mentioned one of their biggest goals with the DLC was to keep the player guessing, and have encounters that are very different from the main game, and go against player expectations for those who played the main game.

Two enemy spoilers (one certainty, and two hinted at):

They confirmed that one enemy is a cannibal who's a a bit over-the-top. For two other enemies, they've said they want to keep the enemies and moments in the DLC a surprise, but their two hints is that there's something lurking deep in the asylum, and they mention, "Love is in the air!".

Interview in question: http://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3291965/red-barrels-future-outlast-monsters-whistleblower/

They also mention this will be the last thing they work on Outlast in a while as they want to move onto their next project after this, but may go back to Outlast in the future if they decide too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Encounter variety is probably the biggest area for improvement. After awhile in the main game, it felt like you were just repeating the same process over again (run->hide->wait->flip switch, repeat). Predictability and repetition is never a good thing, especially in a horror game. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

angrygnat

Very few horror games can keep up the tension throughout. Outlast puts forth an extremely good effort though. After the first playthrough, there's little to be frightened of, but Outlast kept me hooked with the atmosphere. The scenes towards the end where you're wandering through the thorns in the dark and rain. Very unsettling.

I'll be buying this today for sure. I really quite like Outlast, though I am hoping for something a little more than the hide and seek mechanic that ended up getting really stale by the time I finished main game.

Xpliskin

Hikaru Utada - Blow my whistle , gem from the past.

On topic: it isn't even listed on steam yet, will probably be up by tomorrow :/
Wanted to try it out today. And yeah I'm one of those types that's completely desensitized to horror games.

GavinUK86

Speaking of combat, for both Outlast and Amnesia I would love to play a mod that gives you like, the Doom marine's arsenal or something so you can do back with BFG's and chainsaws and shit and just destroy all those freaks that terrorized you the first time around. It would be so cathartic.

Hah, yeah I had the same thought after finishing it. That they should let you run through once more with the Doom shotgun.

Same with Gone Home. :/

While not quite what you're after, I did run through Outlast, on PC, after finishing it with a trainer, enabling unlimited health and batteries. It was pretty hilarious running at the enemies for a change. The A.I has no idea what to do when you did that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh man totally forgot that this game was dropping today. lotta good stuff releasing on PSN today.

will buy to support red barrel as outlast has been my favorite ps+ title thus far. i'm assuming you need to have the original installed to play?

Carnby

Bought.

I loved Outlast. I don't agree with the criticisms of it. I thought Outlast was amazing from start to finish.

I hope one day, after all the DLC is released, red barrel releases a retail version of this game.

Xpliskin

Is it more like the beginning/middle sections of the game, or like the end? In terms of visuals and tone I mean.

Description of the first area of the DLC:
You start out at the lab, then have to escape. Visuals/tone are then similar to the middle/beginning of the vanilla game

Cudder

Will download for PS4. If only to get the shit taste out of my mouth from Daylight.

Does this make another icon in the PS4 UI or is it accessible through the original game?

GavinUK86

I'm curious if anyone knows a way to turn off the music in the game on PC. Either Outlast or the DLC. I hate music in horror games. I just want the natural ambient sound of the environment but I noticed Outlast only has one slider for general volume which I find pretty annoying. I tried fiddling around with some of the ini's but none of them seem to do much.

I shouldn't be complaining as it was free through ps+. I remember the game being longer though. Maybe I was just being a wuss and hiding a lot.

Yeah I got it free through PS+, but I think the game is easily worth it's $20 asking price. Haha I know, it felt like I was playing for a lot longer than I was because it was so tense. Which is good because that means the DLC will feel longer than 2-3 hours!

I'm curious if anyone knows a way to turn off the music in the game on PC. Either Outlast or the DLC. I hate music in horror games. I just want the natural ambient sound of the environment but I noticed Outlast only has one slider for general volume which I find pretty annoying. I tried fiddling around with some of the ini's but none of them seem to do much.

Whaaaa? Music is critical to horror games, as they are a huge part of the tension and atmosphere. I couldn't imagine playing something like Silent Hill without the music, it's such an integral part of the experience.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This just might just be the most gruesome game I have ever seen.

Holy shit yes, watching a live stream now and this is pretty fucking insane.

SPOILER

( ^◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯SNIP SNIP

Chabbles

So i booted this up afew minutes ago, and theres this "PHYSX-CPU" watermark in the top left of the screen all the time, at the title screen and in game.. anyone know how the hell do i turn it off ?.. i took a screenshot with fraps, but it doesnt show up on any capture, only while in game.. ?

Edit,
nvm, sorted it.

Nemic77

Just finished this in just over 2 hours. Worth it in my opinion.

Much more gruesome, great tense enemy encounters and it gave me the biggest scare i've had in the last few years.

The elevated platform in the prison courtyard, you year yelling and talking from both sides, distracting you from whats in front. When I resumed walking there was a guy running full speed at me
. Jesus christ, thank god my mouse is corded, else it would have flown far away.

Just finished this in just over 2 hours. Worth it in my opinion.

Much more gruesome, great tense enemy encounters and it gave me the biggest scare i've had in the last few years.

The elevated platform in the prison courtyard, you year yelling and talking from both sides, distracting you from whats in front. When I resumed walking there was a guy running full speed at me
. Jesus christ, thank god my mouse is corded, else it would have flown far away.
About the ending:
Seriously thought they were gonna pull the carpet twice, yet they didn't. Weird, but nice ending.
Edit:Also it is worth it if you liked Outlast. More gore, scares, and a nice wrap up to the first game with the usual documents.

Top Bottom