• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast: Whistleblower |OT| May 6th, 2014 / PC & PS4 / $8.99

That was absolutely great, more of the same, equal in quality.

Shame the cannibal didn't get killed, he fucked me off and I was hoping he would meet a grisly end. "The Groom", at first, I didn't think anything of him, just a weak sauce freak. Then the locker happened and holy fuck ..... I wont be forgetting that guy ever again. Great ending, although did people think the main guy died ? I always assumed he was taken over (as he was dying) and was then on the war path. Great way to end the game, 1 that the whistle-blower escaped and 2 seeing the journalist escaping and ready to wreck shit. The icing on the cake was letting the world know, opens up a wealth of ideas for a sequel. Game felt like a true expansion, similar to HL Opposing Forces, new areas and bad guys, along with seeing some of the oldies, and revisiting other places. Good shit, Red Barrel's you rock.

The outdoor sections in this are amazing so far! I love the fog, and distant sounds of wolves, screams, and other critters make it just amazingly atmospheric. I shat my pants when
I was going through the water and then the lightbulb popped and something splashed into the water with me.
I got out of there as fast as I fucking could. The scare where you
have to go back to the generator and the murder-masturbator is behind you
was great as well.

This DLC is really well done so far, I'm loving it.

Skeksis

Outlast scared the heck out of me like no other game has. Playing it as it should be played - late at night, in the dark, headphones clamped tightly to my head and being absolutely immersed in the game - was a terrifying experience. And Whistleblower continues this thread nicely.

Whilst the core elements from Outlast haven't changed in this DLC, Whistleblower is a more refined, a more polished, a tighter experience. Where the original dragged slightly towards the end, this one keeps ramping up the tension until the very end. And a satisfying end it is too.

And although it perhaps doesn't quite hit the tension peak of the first - the high-water marks for this series still, for me, remain
the courtyard in the rain, did I just see something?
, and
creeping around without the camcorder
, both from the first game - the stalker encounters are far more satisfying. Gone are the
hit two switches, hit a third switch, escape
motif. Instead,
it's a case of moving from A to B, although sometimes it can be tricky to find exactly where B is:
these areas tend to need a little more exploration than the mostly signposted paths of Outlast.

Batteries seem to be a scarcer resource here too: where in Outlast, by halfway through the game, I was carrying all I could, here I often found myself hoarding that last battery, never knowing when the next may come. And this does subtly change the game: instead of cautiously creeping through the pitch areas, I found myself running wildly, hoping there was nothing waiting in the darkness.

So I loved it. And if you liked Outlast, you'll love it too.

A question regarding the ending:
When Waylon is finally outside the asylum and in Miles car, is that shadowy figure seen in the camcorder Miles infected by the Walrider?
Ah shit! I didn't make that connection.

I've totally forgotten how to hide so I am running frantically away from people until I am safe >_>
Square button!!!

I forgot all the controls too. A refresher would have been nice!

Nemesis_

oh my god I just got
stripped naked and tied to the table

There have been so many times where I've said "will this game go there, surely not" and it has ._.

Kaswa101

Story question:
Did Miles "let you go"? Or was he trying to kill you/escape into the world?

I only played the main game, then watched the ending for this DLC. Imo it would make sense if Miles let you go, since he still has a subconscious, right? Like Billy in the main game, who refused to kill Wernicke? That would be freaking awesome imo.

ethomaz

Banned
Played, finished and loved.

The DLC is similar to the main game with the strong focus on the story... for 2 hours play it is really a great deal at $9.

Now trying to finish in Insanus mode.

Just beat it! Man, what a great piece of DLC. Absolutely worth $9--great content and value.

In my eyes, the Whistleblower is to Outlast what Episode 2 is to Half LIfe 2: a tightly paced, greatest hits version of the main game (in the best possible way).

Over all, the original was scarier in my opinion, due to three main factors:
1) (Most importantly) I wasn't used to the game's tricks in the main game, and I didn't know how to game the AI until towards the end of the game.
2) It's longer, so it just feels so much more relentless, and it teases you with possibility of escape more.
3) I actually thought the level design and lever switching/key grabbing actually made the game scarier. The levels were more maze like with branching paths as you had to accomplish multiple objectives while trying not to get lost and you're stuck in the area with a stalker. This made hiding actually useful. In the Whistleblower, you pretty much just have to run from point A to point B in much more linear levels. This actually isn't that bad, as I too tired of the hit 3 switches, and adds to the tighter pacing, but it is easier and less scary the way the Whistleblower does it.

That being said, there were a number of great scares, and overall the DLC just feels more consistently well crafted than the main game. A lot has been said of the stalkers, but it's true that they were exceptionally well done. A lot of effort went in to characterizing them and making them unique and having a presence beyond 'the big guy that chases you around'. The
cannibal
I felt was on par with the main game's best stalker: the scissor man. He was freaky as shit, and
his buzz saw whirring to let you know he was near was just horrifying

The other stalker is even better though. His whole schtick and the way you first see his presence with the
mutilated pregnant man thing
and how all the environments you go through are touched by his presence was nothing short of amazing. Everything about his sections were great, from
his singing, the wedding, having to limp away from him, and his death scene
were just top notch, and incredibly fucked up. I was on the edge of my seat to whole way.

I also loved the tie-ins to the original game:
the dick brothers, the dead scissor man, the burning church, and the ending
. Red Barrles did a great job of making Mount Massive Asylum feel like a cohesive, and real, environment in the first game, and they did an even better job here by adding events that interlock with the main game adding a strong sense of temporal, as well of spacial, place (speaking of which, I found a clock in one area, and it actually kept time in real time. I'm not sure I've seen that in a game before).

The story was stronger this time around, focusing instead on an emotional core and character rather than figuring out the mysteries of what's going on. For a DLC that's shorter than the main game (which was already fairly short) and mostly build's character through written notes, it did a surprisingly good job of developing your character, as well as the characters around you, including people you never even meet. The whole ending--and the whole climax of the game--was much, much stronger than the fairly weak ending section of the main game, and tied in very nicely with its beginning. I also really liked
getting the catharsis of escaping in the sun after such a harrowing journey
. It's just a game, but damn if it does a great job of making you feel like you've just gone through the wringer.

The environments were top notch as well. The expanded focus on outdoor environments was especially great. My favorite:
when you first go outside and you its so foggy, and it all culminates to that wonderful confrontaion on the basketball court and the dick brothers following you.

I did have one dissapointment though: they still didn't have any
female inmates or characters you run into
. I would have liked to see that.

Also, what happened to
Frank the cannibal? Did you just elude him and never hear from him again, or did I miss his fate?

So, yeah, it was amazing. Will play again.

dugdug

Banned
I enjoyed Outlast, but, wasn't particularly blown away by any of it.

This DLC, however, is probably one of the best horror games I've played. The entire section with
Eddie (the Groom)
was fucking intense and disgusting. That guy is immediately top 5 villians in a horror game.

Go on with ya bad selves, Red Barrels. Can't wait to see what's next.

I absolutely loved and hated when
you break your leg, similar to when you break the camera in the main game. I thought "well surely, I'm this close to the exit, oh god no you are shitting me I have to carry on through MORE of this shit like this !? It adds so much to feeling fucked in this place, its something you really don't want but tough you have to suffer through it.

Cudder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't
Miles and Waylon traversing the asylum at the same time, meaning the storylines take place over the same time?

Miles and Waylon traversing the asylum at the same time, meaning the storylines take place over the same time?

Yeah, the Whistleblower
begins several hours before Outlast, and ends shortly after Outlast does. So you do see some crossover events and characters between the two stories. It's really well done.

I think
Waylon is knocked out with Gluskin for most of Miles' adventure, but after that the endings almost coincide. Miles becomes the Walrider at dawn, and probably kills Blaire and goes after(?) Waylon possibly very shortly after.

Fady K

I am just about to reach the
outdoor
section and so far this DLC has been fantastic .

Seriously, kudos to Red Barrel games. I love these guys.

Nuke Soda

Was let down by Outlast, but I bought the DLC because survival/horror is my favorite game genre. There were a couple of times when the music just went away and I felt the tension that was missing from Outlast for me. Sadly it was still predictable jump scares and then all of a sudden
The Groom
happened.
In Outlast the big guy Chris with the chains never spooked me, but holy hell did The Groom ever make me uncomfortable. Though his chase sections got boring after a while he never did. Hopefully the next time Red Barrel goes horror they think The Groom rather than Chris.

PJV3

Enjoyed it all the way, plenty of interesting stuff to record on the camera. If they can somehow produce more like this, then they have my money.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Trying to play the base game for the first time since it was gifted to me by a friend and I'm not sure if I can do it. This game is ridiculous with the jump scares. I like it, but holy shit I keep pausing and/or turning the audio off. Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with spooky games, but I don't think I have played one previously that I have had this much trouble with (the last games I've played that stand out are Eternal Darkness and Amnesia, neither of which have anything on this game from the looks of it).

I don't know if I'm just being a huge baby or not, but holy shit this game is ridiculous.

Trying to play the base game for the first time since it was gifted to me by a friend and I'm not sure if I can do it. This game is ridiculous with the jump scares. I like it, but holy shit I keep pausing and/or turning the audio off. Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with spooky games, but I don't think I have played one previously that I have had this much trouble with (the last games I've played that stand out are Eternal Darkness and Amnesia, neither of which have anything on this game from the looks of it).

I don't know if I'm just being a huge baby or not, but holy shit this game is ridiculous.

It's utterly relentless. I too didn't have much experience with horror games, and it put me through the wringer, but it's worth it. It's a great game, and eventually --while still scary--it becomes easier to handle as you get used to the encounter design.

I just made a habit out of looking away from the screen when opening doors.

For me there was nothing worse than opening a door and seeing nothing but pitch blackness, knowing I had to go in there. The game uses lighting (and lack of lighting) in incredible ways.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
For me there was nothing worse than opening a door and seeing nothing but pitch blackness, knowing I had to go in there. The game uses lighting (and lack of lighting) in incredible ways.

That's where I'm at. The game wants me to lean my head into a dark hallway.

No that is not okay.

I don't think they rate DLC.

Correct. DLC does not get rated.
Doesn't seem to be the case:

Downloadable Content

Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

I think Red Barrels may have pulled a fast one. I'm not complaining!

If it makes you feel any better I feel like the jump scares get less frequent throughout the game, and as I got used to the mechanics the game got a bit less scary. Soldier on!

Wait... So(late dlc game spoilers), did he
just stab this guy in the privates multiple times, yank his dick off afterward, and stuff it in his mouth? And was he about to cut my dick off so I could be his wife?

This is what is going on, correct? I just want to be sure I'm getting this lol. I'm horrified by the way. This whole setting is creepy.

just stab this guy in the privates multiple times, yank his dick off afterward, and stuff it in his mouth? And was he about to cut my dick off so I could be his wife?

This is what is going on, correct? I just want to be sure I'm getting this lol. I'm horrified by the way. This whole setting is creepy.

Yep. He needs to find another basic anatomy book.

Also, don't know if anybody noticed, I didn't at first, but the patient in the beginning
being dragged off to the Morphogenic pod wasn't Billy Hope as one would think; it was actually the Groom himself! So that's how he recognizes you later on.

I don't know I think I passed out at that moment lol

Tinzo

Banned
Took me 2 1/2 hours or so. I don't remember how long the main game was off the top of my head.

4 hours or so. then it's about the half of the original game.
it took me a long time to finish does 4 hours. because it was too scarey and i was telling myself not to play it, i do it later.

Yep. He needs to find another basic anatomy book.

Also, don't know if anybody noticed, I didn't at first, but the patient in the beginning
being dragged off to the Morphogenic pod wasn't Billy Hope as one would think; it was actually the Groom himself! So that's how he recognizes you later on.

Oh wow, that's pretty creepy. Makes a bit more sense now.
I don't know I think I passed out at that moment lol

The Groom has to go in some sort of "most twisted" enemy category. He is just wrong on some many levels. So much nope.

Oh wow, that's pretty creepy. Makes a bit more sense now.

The Groom has to go in some sort of "most twisted" enemy category. He is just wrong on some many levels. So much nope.

Yeah, I was actually shocked when I first saw the
mutilated 'pregnancy' body
. I don't think I've ever seen a game go that far before.

The Groom was fantastic and made for a much much much better climax than the
underground lab/walrider chase
from the main game.

Top Bottom