• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Patch early would be cool for the arcade boxes.

My last 5 Legendaries have been 4 dupes and gold. I barely have any Legendaries which makes it seem very BS and not random.

LiK

Back then, I'd say it sounds like a good time for a Junkrat/ Roadhog team-up.

I think I switched to Junk but it was too late. Didn't have a Hog either, iirc. Def was an infuriating game. I was destroying them in the first round but then I was targeted in the later rounds and couldn't help anymore. Very smart tactic. I've learned to switch sooner if I get focused on after those types of games.

PatjuhR

Just had my first real thrower. It was an insta lock Hanso. Or he decided to throw beforehand or he didn't like our set-up, which was fine. He just stood outside attack spawn on Anubis.

We took point A, but were chanceless on point b. He decided to join in the last minute. It was a shame because he was pretty good as Hanzo. I think he fully joined on defense, but sadly we lost, because our point b defense was lost after they took the first 1/3 of the point.

Afterwards he got potg and wanted to stay as team.

LiK

DSPStanky moving away from Overwatch in the coming months.

I wish him the best and hopes that he knows that he'll always have supporters and fans in the Overwatch community. Between him and Jamie Allegro, those two were the sources for me to pick up Lucio and make him a mainstay with being a flex player.

he's probably going to lose partner. his non-ow streams do pathetic numbers

Yup, can't blame him if he's no longer having fun but he'll be losing a huge amount of views in the process.

Gorillaz

I wish him the best and hopes that he knows that he'll always have supporters and fans in the Overwatch community. Between him and Jamie Allegro, those two were the sources for me to pick up Lucio and make him a mainstay with being a flex player.

Alot of these streamers have been slowly giving off the same vibe of trying to distance themselves from OW. I know a few of them are at the point of probably hating it.

I think Moon was like if it wasn't for twitch he wouldn't even be playing it as much or even at the moment

antitrop

Alot of these streamers have been slowly giving off the same vibe of trying to distance themselves from OW. I know a few of them are at the point of probably hating it.

I think Moon was like if it wasn't for twitch he wouldn't even be playing it as much or even at the moment
Seagull is on a break from streaming Overwatch for a while, too. He said he might come back when Doomfist is available for Competitive, but right now he's streaming DOOM's campaign.

Then there's this...

COTPE2E.png

I-hate-u

What's going on this damn season? Is it the meta? It wasn't that bad during the triple tank days, and people were complaining a lot.

It's the WC qualifiers time, there should be more OW hype than this.

Streamers - "This meta is so stale and Overwatch is boring. I wish Blizzard would do something to shake it up."

Blizzard - "Okay here's Doomfist, he counters the thing you all hate right now. Also here's some buffs for some other heroes to counter dive. Enjoy!"

Streamers - "I'm quitting this game."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
most of the streamers didnt complain about it being too stale

the game itself is just over a year old and most people whove played it have hit the mechanical roof of every hero and unlocked everything they want. all thats left is to get better at aiming and timing and that gets old

plus maybe its just me but i feel like the pro scene around OW has really died down. I almost never hear about people talking about tournament or pro matches in here like I used to.

Gorillaz

Seagull is on a break from streaming Overwatch for a while, too. He said he might come back when Doomfist is available for Competitive, but right now he's streaming DOOM's campaign.

Then there's this...

COTPE2E.png

What's going on this damn season? Is it the meta? It wasn't that bad during the triple tank days, and people were complaining a lot.

It's the WC qualifiers time, there should be more OW hype than this.
Yea even Tim the tatman is over here ready to give a blood offering to Bungie just for Destiny 2 to launch.

The community in general is tired mixed in with the meta having weird quirks is leading to people throwing in the towel for the short run.

It also doesn't help that blizzard is very slow on reading it's own community.

I-hate-u

Streamers - "This meta is so stale and Overwatch is boring. I wish Blizzard would do something to shake it up."

Blizzard - "Okay here's Doomfist, he counters the thing you all hate right now. Also here's some buffs for some other heroes to counter dive. Enjoy!"

Streamers - "I'm quitting this game."

I don't think Doomfist alone is going to counter dive.

most of the streamers didnt complain about it being too stale

the game itself is just over a year old and most people whove played it have hit the mechanical roof of every hero and unlocked everything they want. all thats left is to get better at aiming and timing and that gets old

plus maybe its just me but i feel like the pro scene around OW has really died down. I almost never hear about people talking about tournament or pro matches in here like I used to.

It doesn't help that people like DSPStanky and Codey were essentially one tricks for their respected heroes. I get tired of playing the same hero for a day and they have done it for months.

The only notable tournament right now is the World Cup which is airing at weird hours for NA. Apex is on break until the S3 finals and Contenders S1 starts in a couple weeks. It will get better.

I don't think Doomfist alone is going to counter dive.

He's a huge part of it. Buffs to heroes like Zarya and McCree are really important as well. A lot of pros are actually pretty optimistic right now that while dive will still be a thing there will actually be comps to counter it. We might finally get a meta where we see teams switching heroes constantly (lol who am I kidding with this part).

I terms of OW I only read gaf and check the reddit every now and then so it's hard to judge if the hype is dying since this is far from representing the whole community. Only Blizzard knows probably while looking at their playerbase.

It's also understandable that some streamers are taking a break, we are talking about people that play a shit ton of hours per day, after so many months it's natural that they may feel that way.

Game can still be fun even though there are some problems that obviously need fixing. No need to be overdramatic.

Now is the time for me to stream PS4 overwatch games, the market is ready...

We are not ready.

antitrop

It doesn't help that people like DSPStanky and Codey were essentially one tricks for their respected heroes. I get tired of playing the same hero for a day and they have done it for months.

That's not fair to say for Codey, he has incredible aim (or had rather, before tendonitis). He finished Season 2 at rank #4 (behind only Mangachu, Sinatraa, and Miso) with Widow, Dva, and McCree before Sombra was even released.

Even in Seasons 3-5 he has plenty of time on heroes other than Sombra, he just made his name with her.

Owzers

I think throwers/quitters are taking a toll on people.

We were 3-0 Ned! Twitch viewers only need results. I liked our dva/Winston combo.

LiK

I only care about the community here. If most people I play with quit this game, I'm pretty much done or I'll be playing occasionally. It happened when I got tired of Destiny and most of the community there dropped off after the last expansion.

I-hate-u

I think they need to have 2 main modes with 2 different roster balance, one for competitive and one for casual.

They can't be pulling QP data to dictate balance competitive and pro play balance. Also, they need to be much more reactive with their changes than this.

That's not fair to say for Codey, he has incredible aim (or had rather, before tendonitis). He finished Season 2 at rank #4 (behind only Mangachu, Sinatraa, and Miso) with Widow, Dva, and McCree before Sombra was even released.

Even in Seasons 3-5 he has plenty of time on heroes other than Sombra, he just made his name with her.

I only knew him from his Sombra play, so that's fair to say.

pizzacat

Banned

because the people who actually care about the game in that way are somewhere else

Yeah I couldn't imagine playing that much Overwatch unless it was your golden cow.

I think they need to have 2 main modes with 2 different roster balance, one for competitive and one for casual.

They can't be pulling QP data to dictate balance competitive and pro play balance. Also, they need to be much more reactive with their changes than this.
In other games, it's typical that QP and Comp have a different ruleset apart from one giving you special ego points and the other not. It would really be nice if they tweaked competitive to be more, well, competitive. Not character balance tweaks specific to the modes, rather fundamental tweaks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think throwers/quitters are taking a toll on people.

For those streamers that are taking a break or quitting, I don't think you get many throwers and quitters at high GM and top 500. Anyone that high has to care a lot about winning. Though I do think at that level especially, the way the system rewards and punishes for individual performance in seemingly very dumb ways does kill a lot of motivation to strive for the top.

Though it is certainly taking a toll on the community as a whole.

If you have the time check out this scrim between the Korean World Cup team and Kongdoo Uncia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...live_team_south_korea_vs_kongdoo_uncia_scrim/

They claim that they have found the counter to dive using a comp played by a Chinese team in the Nexus Cup (Rein/Zarya/Reaper/Tracer) and their own version (Rein/Zarya/Junkrat/McCree). This was all done on live servers and NOT PTR, so this is without the buffs to Rein, Zarya, McCree, and Reaper.

PatjuhR

Overwatch is so much more fun in a good group lol.

I solo queued and joined a 5 stack. Played one of my best ever games and joined them. They were practically covering a competent team set-up and were open to me playing any hero I wanted. I played good, but it's easy in a good coordinated group.

LAM09

Overwatch is so much more fun in a good group lol.

I solo queued and joined a 5 stack. Played one of my best ever games and joined them. They were practically covering a competent team set-up and were open to me playing any hero I wanted. I played good, but it's easy in a good coordinated group.

That's when the game shines. Too bad, it's a rarity.

If you have the time check out this scrim between the Korean World Cup team and Kongdoo Uncia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...live_team_south_korea_vs_kongdoo_uncia_scrim/

They claim that they have found the counter to dive using a comp played by a Chinese team in the Nexus Cup (Rein/Zarya/Reaper/Tracer) and their own version (Rein/Zarya/Junkrat/McCree). This was all done on live servers and NOT PTR, so this is without the buffs to Rein, Zarya, McCree, and Reaper.

The casters are so funny even though I don't understand a word, they are so hyped lol

Actually surprised they couldn't take the first point in king's row when they had pharah against that comp, I have my doubts about that one. Watching the koth match now, 2nd map and there's no more dive.

Now is the time for me to stream PS4 overwatch games, the market is ready...
Lol

Speaking of being ready I reinstalled OW to try out doomfist, do we know when he's hitting ps4 yet?

Also yeah I can't blame all the higher level players backing down a bit, you've got really weird balance changes and a lack of addressing certain issues for weeks if not more along with comp ranking still being broken and Blizzard doing their best to smother the esports scene with their laughable buy-in policy. Plus there's the time limited cosmetics just getting worse and worse.

Edit: oh and I just remembered rank decay being as demanding as it is along with starting at diamond lmao

I still think OW is awesome, but it really saddens me to see how everyone is moving away from it already. On the other hand, Blizzard has royally fucked up a bunch in regards to competitive and the pro scene so it's not surprising that top-level streamers are moving off of it to other things.

he's probably going to lose partner. his non-ow streams do pathetic numbers

It must suck to end up a one-trick streamer. Especially if it's his primary income.

finalflame

Gold Member

He's not that entertaining outside of being a good Lucio player and I agree he'll probably end up losing partner. Shame.

He's not that entertaining outside of being a good Lucio player and I agree he'll probably end up losing partner. Shame.

He did have some good, funny post production videos as well. And I appreciated his positivity.

But you're right in that I don't think I would watch a non OW stream of his.

Veelk

Banned
I'm really hoping that Doomfist and Summer Games event just brings people back. I still really like the game, but the meta has gotten stale.

That said, we've been playing the game for a years time now. I've literally never played any game for this length of time before. I think it's inevitable that something like this eventually does get stale after putting hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

Blues1990

I still think OW is awesome, but it really saddens me to see how everyone is moving away from it already. On the other hand, Blizzard has royally fucked up a bunch in regards to competitive and the pro scene so it's not surprising that top-level streamers are moving off of it to other things.

You'd think that the development team would see this as an alert that both the professional players and streamers are distancing themselves from the game. Another part of the issue is that the development team isn't in communication with the managers of these teams that request for some small QOL changes to the heroes, especially to the ones that need it most.

It must suck to end up a one-trick streamer. Especially if it's his primary income.

Sometimes you just have to take a break. It isn't helping that this meta is wearing on every streamer I watch. But I think joining a semi-pro team was what killed it for him, as any time you take a hobby and you treat it like it's a full time job, it becomes repetitive really fast.

The sad thing is that he's a solid McCree & Ana player, and as much as I enjoy his antics with the Brazilian DJ, I also wanted to see more of him with the other heroes he's good with.

I'm really hoping that Doomfist and Summer Games event just brings people back. I still really like the game, but the meta has gotten stale.

That said, we've been playing the game for a years time now. I've literally never played any game for this length of time before. I think it's inevitable that something like this eventually does get stale after putting hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

I don't find the gameplay stale at all, personally. It's just a combination of toxicity and deleting my character.

Veelk

Banned
I don't find the gameplay stale at all, personally. It's just a combination of toxicity and deleting my character.

For me, I consider it stale because the dive meta is so strong that I basically don't see any variations in team comp. Every game is a Winston, D.Va, Mercy, Soldier, Tracer, and Zenyatta. There is some variation depending on the map, or maybe just a player who wants to go off meta, but for the most part, every team is doing the same thing.

Which is why I'm optimistic about Doomfist and whatever hero updates that follow shaking this up significantly.

Syf

Banned
As shitty as it is that Blizzard's mishandled yet another esports scene, I think Overwatch is plenty strong enough to come right back when things do get sorted out.

Gorillaz

All games go through a downslope OW is no different it will be alright

The summer game/doom launch and updates has to do the trick on some level tho. If it doesn't pump some life into everything then there is a bigger problem with blizzard and their ability to not read their own fans

Top Bottom