• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

a5d9e24f46.png

he's not wrong

She's def very situational.

I've never been so angry at a Mercy player than this morning.

This Mercy main was trying so hard to be so clever that she got herself killed at least 3 times.

We were playing on Ilios. Everytime someone would damage her she would jump off the map, and then beg us to get close enough for her to leap to.

When we capped the Well point from the enemy team, she told us she was going to stay in the well the entire time to hide from the enemy, but someone needs to stay close enough.

I stayed close enough and she still fucking died. THREE FUCKING TIMES!

We lost the Comp match 0 - 3.

This Mercy was ~3300SR.

I have no fucking idea right now.

Maybe it'd be easier to pinpoint the source of problems if there was a scoreboard.

I think a full scoreboard with K/D/A and damage done for both teams would actually help, or at least keep people from automatically tilting on Widow and Hanzo players.

LiK

This Mercy main was trying so hard to be so clever that she got herself killed at least 3 times.

We were playing on Ilios. Everytime someone would damage her she would jump off the map, and then beg us to get close enough for her to leap to.

When we capped the Well point from the enemy team, she told us she was going to stay in the well the entire time to hide from the enemy, but someone needs to stay close enough.

This Mercy was ~3300SR.

LOL, she should've just hid normally instead of trying to turn the game into some puzzle platformer.

I think a full scoreboard with K/D/A and damage done for both teams would actually help, or at least keep people from automatically tilting on Widow and Hanzo players.

Ehh... I don't see how it would be any different than:

Rein: Hanzo, can you switch, we need some actual DPS here...

Hanzo: I've got gold elims. Why would I switch?

Rein: Gold elims doesn't mean shit. Switch to a character the Meta has deemed worthy because I have no idea how to play around classes that pros don't play.

I know a lot of people hate Doomfist right now, but I find him really interesting. In my games, he's an unstoppable force of destruction that utterly wrecks the entire team...until he's stopped and then he's picked off until the player is forced to switch into another character.

I'm watching Apex, and it seems to be the same thing. He's either destroying or he's being destroyed.

There's no inbetween with this guy. At least not right now, when he's still new and people are still figuring him out. But it's hard to predict how any DF pick will go.

I was actually thinking exactly this yesterday, I'm so hit or miss with the guy, often within the same match.
I suppose it's not too different to the times where I've been Zen and are getting constantly harassed by a Tracer, there's diminishing returns on the surprise attacks and the tables can turn quite heavily.

I'm also thinking that the gamble with the initial strike is so important for him, you miss your target? yeah you're probably fucked. The cooldown management is also much more intense with him so you can have an absolute burst moment of awesome and then suddenly be stuck twiddling your fingers, it feels like a character where you really have to make every move count.

caesar

Banned

This Mercy was ~3300SR.

A mercy mains sr means essentially nothing.

exYle

This Mercy was ~3300SR.

It didn't work, but that sounds pretty creative

xCobalt

I don't think a scoreboard will help at all. It'll just divert the toxicity to the player with the least medals rather than non-meta picks.

LiK

It didn't work, but that sounds pretty creative

Yea, but the Mercy player is basically forcing their teammates to save her AND deal with the enemy team simultaneously which is pretty distracting. Should've saved such a strat with a full stack instead.

I don't think a scoreboard will help at all. It'll just divert the toxicity to the player with the least medals rather than non-meta picks.

That's the exact reason why Blizzard won't ever implement it in the team objective games.

Snoopycat

Banned
I was wondering why Mystery Heroes is such a total shit show everytime the loot boxes reset or there's a new event. Then I realized it's because all the idiots who "main" a character go stumbling in and can't play any other character, causing near constant losses. At this point I wait until the middle/end of the week because before playing because otherwise it's a waste of time.

Anne

It's less about just directing toxicity and more about having tools in the game to give players information to make decisions and learn what is going on. Overwatch runs stupidly fast and ti requires a lot of moving parts so it's hard to peg down why things work or don't work. Scoreboards so you can see the statlines on both sides provide so much of that information.

I know I've said it like 1000 times, but the tools int he game to even understand what's happening across a single match are just not there. It makes coming to conclusions about the effectiveness of characters/comps/strats extremely difficult unless you understand the game very well already.

When people don't know what is actually happening in a game things get a lot more toxic pretty quickly.

LiK

It's less about just directing toxicity and more about having tools in the game to give players information to make decisions and learn what is going on. Overwatch runs stupidly fast and ti requires a lot of moving parts so it's hard to peg down why things work or don't work. Scoreboards so you can see the statlines on both sides provide so much of that information.

I know I've said it like 1000 times, but the tools int he game to even understand what's happening across a single match are just not there. It makes coming to conclusions about the effectiveness of characters/comps/strats extremely difficult unless you understand the game very well already.

When people don't know what is actually happening in a game things get a lot more toxic pretty quickly.

Would your solution be more detailed stats at the end of every match?

That works. I think they should get rid of medals. "GOLD ELIMS FAM! DUUUUR"

I really appreciate the elimination system and how people aren't chasing final blows for their K:D ratio, and the fact that it makes people feel involved. But I'm wondering if Blizzard adding some extra stats that indicate how much a person contributes to eliminations would help. Like the overall damage stat is pretty worthless - maybe tweak it so that only shows damage that resulted in an elimination? I dunno how hard that would be to program. This would definitely be something to add to a stat line in the game so people can figure out if DPS are actually doing their job or not.

I'd also like some indicator before the cards at the end of what percentage damage I'm healing as a support. Like I may have 5,000 healing but if that's only 10% of the damage taken something's wrong.

Nimby

Banned
I'm only okay with detailed stats if it's just you seeing you. Otherwise you have even more armchair generals barking out orders.

I don't really think it would make things worse than it is right now. Right now people just shout baseless assumptions about who is underpreforming on the team. Scoreboard would at least show people who might need to switch or change the way they play.

Probably the Roadhog payload map

I wish we could talk shit to the enemy team after a match. If you let people be rude shits to their enemies I really think they'll be less toxic towards teammates.

Ramirez

Probably the Roadhog payload map

I wish we could talk shit to the enemy team after a match. If you let people be rude shits to their enemies I really think they'll be less toxic towards teammates.

This isn't true in the slightest, lol.

I don't understand the pushback on a scoreboard that shows everyone's stats. It could even help you identify who you should be focusing on the enemy team if it feels like nothing is working.

I can't think of a single other serious FPS that hides team stats from everyone, it's shit.

I am beyond confident that Roadhog will get new skins with the release of the new map similar to how Rein did last Gamescom.

It would make sense for why Jeff brought up Roadhog in the least developer update but not get anything for Summer Games.

Skii

I don't understand the pushback on a scoreboard that shows everyone's stats. It could even help you identify who you should be focusing on the enemy team if it feels like nothing is working.

I can't think of a single other serious FPS that hides team stats from everyone, it's shit.

Same

This game is the most toxic its ever been and according to others the most toxic fps they've played and yet people are scared a scoreboard will be toxic?

Lmao.

LiK

I find it strange that Jeff would mention those sites that show stats and yet they won't bother showing stats in your own matches in the game.

Blues1990

I am beyond confident that Roadhog will get new skins with the release of the new map similar to how Rein did last Gamescom.

It would make sense for why Jeff brought up Roadhog in the least developer update but not get anything for Summer Games.

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to Junkrat's changes over Roadhog's? I didn't enjoy playing as RoadBastion76 in the PTR (I tried making it work, but playing this version of Roadhog was not fun to play as), while (as Junkrat) I was having a blast killing Pharah & blowing up Doomfist when he was doing an air combo.

LiK

Antitrop and I were a pretty great duo cuz I was Junk and he was Hog. We would dominate in duo queue. Had a great winning streak. Sigh, I miss those days.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
30 seconds left to cap the last point. Zen and my Mercy res are up, we push the middle and all the DPS either push left or right and neither go in when the others go in.

Why god

Why

Veelk

Banned
I approved and lauded Overwatch for lacking a tradtional as that allowed people to not pay attention to who got the most kills (which is an effectively useless metric in a game with tanks and healers anyway) and just pay attention to winning the match.

But since toxicity is at an all time high, adding it now is more of a 'sure, why not' sort of movie. It's not like the problem can get any worse.

Talonz

I was wondering why Mystery Heroes is such a total shit show everytime the loot boxes reset or there's a new event. Then I realized it's because all the idiots who "main" a character go stumbling in and can't play any other character, causing near constant losses. At this point I wait until the middle/end of the week because before playing because otherwise it's a waste of time.

I never have a problem getting wins on reset day. Sure, I get some stinker matches due to RNG, but that's the price I'm willing to put up with the least toxic mode in the entire game. As soon as you start taking MH's serious is when you need to quit playing the mode entirely. You can get your lootboxes a lot faster in Lucioball since each match is only 5 minutes. It's a lot more time effective if you just want to crank out the lootboxes for the week.

30 seconds left to cap the last point. Zen and my Mercy res are up, we push the middle and all the DPS either push left or right and neither go in when the others go in.

Why god

Why

Yesterday on Attack on 2CP - we have two ticks and have time for one last push - I spam "group up" and that my Transcendence is ready as Zen. I go left, and the two tanks go with me. The two DPS and Mercy completely ignore me and go right.

Needless to say, we didn't take the point.

I disagree. It would be a terrible start. You don't solve any problems or reduce toxicity by going "This is who really deserves the hate."

Maybe people will think twice about screaming at their teammates if they're at the bottom of the board.

Overwatch has, in record time, surpassed League and become the most infamously toxic game around. I'm not saying that the lack of a scoreboard is the sole reason, but allowing players to fill in so many blanks about their team certainly doesn't help.

Blues1990

Sombra is fantastic Support.

You see, that's what confuses me.

Sombra feels more like a Support Hero than Offense, while Doomfist feels more like a Defense Hero than Offense. I know Sombra is a hybrid of a DPS and Support, but I feel like their classifications are a bit misleading, as Sombra does a better job with supportin gher team with disruption and harassment.

LiK

You see, that's what confuses me.

Sombra feels more like a Support Hero than Offense, while Doomfist feels more like a Defense Hero than Offense. I know Sombra is a hybrid of a DPS and Support, but I feel like their classifications are a bit misleading, as Sombra does a better job with supportin gher team with disruption and harassment.

Jeff has openly admitted that the hero categories were made for new players and don't actually make much sense for some heroes. But it's too late for them to change it so they hope players will eventually just figure out a team comp that works.

I approved and lauded Overwatch for lacking a tradtional as that allowed people to not pay attention to who got the most kills (which is an effectively useless metric in a game with tanks and healers anyway) and just pay attention to winning the match.

But since toxicity is at an all time high, adding it now is more of a 'sure, why not' sort of movie. It's not like the problem can get any worse.

It's so, so easy to design a scoreboard that doesn't show kills.

Top Bottom