• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Veelk

Banned
Ana control scheme suggestion:

Okay, so if you're like me, you fiddle around with the control scheme on your console a lot. One of the first things I changed was Genji's jump to L2/LT, because being good with him kind of depends on your ability to move vertically while aiming. Well, having jump bound to that just straight up feels good, like you have more control of the character and occasionally helped you dodge some bullets. I decided to do that with every character I could, which at first seemed only a few characters, like Winston, D.Va and Hanzo, who basically has a free shoulder button because they lack a secondary fire. But then it became a problem because my muscle memory didn't give a fig what character I was playing, it thought jump was L2 for all characters. So eventually, I've mapped all non-aim dependent abilities to a face botton (usually X) and L2 to jump for nearly all characters. In most cases, this is easy and I got nearly all characters to make it work. Some were harder, but Ana was the absolute worst.

ALL her abilities are aim dependent, even her ultimate. You see plenty of Boostio's on PC, but I imagine it's even harder for console players who have to take their thumb off the stick to hit triangle/Y to activate nanoboost. For a long time, I was resigned to the idea that Ana just won't work right on a controller, because something has to give. Until I came across a Halo video. Halo clicked the right thumbstick to zoom into it's sniper. I thought "Boy, I wish I could just do that with Ana" and then "wait, CAN I do it?" And then I found out the answer is yes!

Now, holding down R3 is awkward and wouldn't be something that worked. BUT! There is an option in the control menu that I forgot about that lets you turn the zoom into something you toggle on and off rather than have to hold it down. So one click of the thumbstick and you're looking through the scope. Even better, this is really easily canceled, since you can either click R3 again or just jump, which is what you're gonna be doing if an enemy dives onto you. For me, it feels very natural and easy to use.

From there, the rest of the mapping is easy. L1 to grenade and R1 to sleep dart. Nanoboost goes onto L3, which isn't a problem because you use it sparingly, but it allows you to retain your ability to aim. The only thing that you lose out is binding melee to O/B, so you'll have to take your thumb off the stick to punch someone. But chances are that if you can't use any abilities and you're reloading a gun, a melee isn't going to save you anyway. For some characters, easy access to Melee is crucial and needs to stay on R3, but I don't think it's a big loss for Ana.

So this is the ideal control scheme for console Ana's, I think. With this, you have as much control over all your movement and abilities as you can have at all times. The only thing you'll have to take your finger off the thumbstick for is to reload and melee. I cracked the code and wanted to share with anyone interested.

Blues1990

Good thing there's reporting on console now, because that could be considered throwing.

2WsT8KC.gif

I had zoom on R3 for a while, it works pretty well.

I ended up going back to zoom on L2 though since I felt like I was quicker that way with my snipe shots.

Nanoboost is on L3.

Veelk

Banned
I had zoom on R3 for a while, it works pretty well.

I ended up going back to zoom on L2 though since I felt like I was quicker that way with my snipe shots.

Nanoboost is on L3.

I think having zoom on a should button feels more...viseral? Since you're using two buttons to make a shot, it feels better in an intuitive way. But since I can cancel by jumping, it doesn't feel slower for me at all. Did you have it set to toggle? If I had to hold it down, I don't think it'd work, but since it's just click and forget, I barely have to mind it.

I try not to use R3/L3 if I can, hate those buttons.
But cheers for the suggestion.

End up in a deathmatch filled with 3 hanzos, 2 widows and 2 genjis....
You better believe I decided to go ape, and it was very cathartic.

I think having zoom on a should button feels more...viseral? Since you're using two buttons to make a shot, it feels better in an intuitive way. But since I can cancel by jumping, it doesn't feel slower for me at all. Did you have it set to toggle? If I had to hold it down, I don't think it'd work, but since it's just click and forget, I barely have to mind it.

Yeah had it on toggle. There was a time when I had the primary fire on L2 for a lot of characters, it didn't felt right to have zoom on R2 for Ana so I switched it to R3. It works pretty well either way, I've played other games with zoom on R3 so it feels natural.

Blues1990

Yea, these randoms are so fucking bad. They keep dying. Lost 5 games in a row in Junkertown in Arcade. Jebus.

Even with me getting used to D.Va, the players that I've played with have been tearing rubber on the JunkerTown map. I really do love this map.

Veelk

Banned
I'm still trying to get used to her new kit. The cannons are fine, but I keep forgetting that she can fire those missiles.

My problem is currently that I can't figure out a control scheme that works with her now. Though it's to a WAY lesser extent, all her abilties require aiming, even if it's to a much smaller degree, so it's hard to put any of them on face buttons. However, at the same time, D.Va's melee is not really expendable like Ana's is, especially right now because it can stop your rocket boosters. L3 feels awkward. So does X. L1 feels great, but then where do the missiles go? L3 feels awkward for them too. R3 is good, but then you lose the melee to O. Which...can work, I guess, if I get used to it, but D.Va needs her melee, especially in baby form.

antitrop

There was a new mini-patch today.

GENERAL UPDATES
General

The credit that Mercy's Resurrect contributes toward her on-fire meter has been adjusted to account for the recent changes in its functionality

Arcade

Hanamura, Horizon Lunar Colony, Temple of Anubis, and Volskaya Industries have been removed from the Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch map rotation, but can still be selected in Custom Games

User Interface

Made several adjustments to the spectator camera to improve the viewing experience

BUG FIXES
General

Fixed a bug that caused the audio from Junkertown's front gate to play when previewing and opening Loot Boxes
Fixed a bug that prevented the stagger and knockdown VO from canceling active voice lines
Fixed a bug that allowed an incorrect voice line to play when firing D.Va's Micro Missiles
Fixed an issue that caused the spectator camera to lose track of heroes and player-controlled objects (e.g. Junkrat's RIP-Tire)
Heroes

Fixed a bug that prevented Genji and Mercy's ultimate voice lines from functioning properly when the Oni or Winged Victory skins were equipped

Maps

Fixed an issue that caused sound effects to continuously repeat when using a beam weapon (e.g. Zarya's Particle Cannon) to destroy the motorcycle in the attackers' spawn room on Junkertown
Fixed an issue that activated audio cues that are typically associated with enemy hits when shooting the motorcycle on Junkertown

LiK

Good grief. Why do these randoms run around flanking for no reason. Payload is just sitting there with the enemy. What a waste of time. Didn't win a single game for even one lootbox. Guess I'll play the other modes.

mollipen

Hanamura, Horizon Lunar Colony, Temple of Anubis, and Volskaya Industries have been removed from the Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch map rotation, but can still be selected in Custom Games

I'm mixed on this. I did bitch at non-DM maps being part of DM, but it's going to be weird to have them now gone.

Pooya

Horizon worked better as a FFA map than a 2cp map. The rest were trash though, Anubis and Volsk were so random with spawns.

Fixed a bug that allowed an incorrect voice line to play when firing D.Va's Micro Missiles

"Bang" was a bug? Or does this mean we will hear even more bangs.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
As with all popular memes and phrases, "C9 LUL" is starting to lose its initial meaning over time. I just saw it used for an attacking team that was team killed last minute from capturing a point. I guess it's starting to change meaning to last minute point loss?

antitrop

As with all popular memes and phrases, "C9 LUL" is starting to lose its initial meaning over time. I just saw it used for an attacking team that was team killed last minute from capturing a point. I guess it's starting to change meaning to last minute point loss?

The constant misuse of C9 LUL turned into a meme of its own.

Blues1990

There was a new mini-patch today.

Oh, this should be good.

GENERAL UPDATES
General

The credit that Mercy’s Resurrect contributes toward her on-fire meter has been adjusted to account for the recent changes in its functionality

Okay, that's a fair change.

Arcade

No more FFA on 2CP maps. Hallelujah!

User Interface

Made several adjustments to the spectator camera to improve the viewing experience

Can anyone explain this one? Did they go back to the POV for spectating?

BUG FIXES
General

Fixed a bug that caused the audio from Junkertown’s front gate to play when previewing and opening Loot Boxes
Fixed a bug that prevented the stagger and knockdown VO from canceling active voice lines
Fixed an issue that caused the spectator camera to lose track of heroes and player-controlled objects (e.g. Junkrat’s RIP-Tire)
Heroes

Fixed a bug that prevented Genji and Mercy’s ultimate voice lines from functioning properly when the Oni or Winged Victory skins were equipped

Overall, I like these changes/fixes. But I wish some clarification was given for D.Va's stupid "BANG!" voice line that is used for her Micro-Missiles. Also, I tested Oni Genji for his ult voice line, & when Genji ults using the Oni skin he says "The Dragon becomes me". So it seems they fixed the bug, but the Oni specific Ult voice line still isn't in.

Maps

Fixed an issue that caused sound effects to continuously repeat when using a beam weapon (e.g. Zarya's Particle Cannon) to destroy the motorcycle in the attackers' spawn room on Junkertown
Fixed an issue that activated audio cues that are typically associated with enemy hits when shooting the motorcycle on Junkertown

I'm glad they fixed this. I was baffled with why Zarya's cannon SFX repeated when I wasn't firing.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The constant misuse of C9 LUL turned into a meme of its own.

I'd like to believe this, but meaning changes have happened before with so many words and phrases that grew in popularity that I think it's unintentional. Eventually it will just be C9 means loss.

exYle

Can someone please explain mercy’s new ultimate? I don’t understand it.

Fly and go HAM

She can fly, her gun is better and doesn't need to reload, her healing/damage beams now branch and hit multiple allies. Basically all her abilities are turned up to 11 and she becomes the Ubermensch

Many grandmasters would consider masters to be garbage tier lol.

masters in this game is similar to the randoms youd see in an unreal tournament server who just mostly use flak/rocket as they arent good enough to effectively use the shock/lightning gun. but they at least understand that those guns are superior and they have somewhat of an idea whats going on at a basic level. diamond and below in this game is just a cesspool of clueless individuals who cant even begin to learn something as simple and obvious as hero counters

Chance

masters in this game is similar to the randoms youd see in an unreal tournament server who just mostly use flak/rocket as they arent good enough to effectively use the shock/lightning gun. but they at least understand that those guns are superior and they have somewhat of an idea whats going on at a basic level. diamond and below in this game is just a cesspool of clueless individuals who cant even begin to learn something as simple and obvious as hero counters

Huh.

Salarians

comp match of two solos and two duos against a four stack of three silver portraits and a gold portrait

tough match, almost hopeless at times, but we somehow managed to get a draw

felt pretty good

team complained i should have went mercy. bitch stop looking at my hours. just because i have numbers on her doesn't mean i actually play her. even if i did it would be post change anyways.

genji got mad because he didn't get heal. of course youre not. youre jumping inside a group of 3 with dva.

AbaFadi

Banned

Are you in masters currently?

nly people over 50 are low ranked in overwatch

You seem to have a problem with middle ground.
Some people in sub-Masters SR are as you say- bad at game sense. But there actually are people out there who simply no longer have the skill (and/or time to regain that skill) to climb more than a rank or two above their original SR.
These people have good game sense, but lack the ability you seem to think is rampant in OW.
Have we seen your SR posted here, BTW? You're starting to give off the stink of a closet Bronze.

You seem to have a problem with middle ground.
Some people in sub-Masters SR are as you say- bad at game sense. But there actually are people out there who simply no longer have the skill (and/or time to regain that skill) to climb more than a rank or two above their original SR.
These people have good game sense, but lack the ability you seem to think is rampant in OW.
Have we seen your SR posted here, BTW? You're starting to give off the stink of a closet Bronze.

the people you speak of are master rank

yes i am bronze

Top Bottom