• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

i dont get why people dont switch off heroes when they are constantly dying or arent doing anything. How is that fun? You arent even playing the game by doing that. Do they not even feel guity about wasting ppls time

It isn't always the case. Repulsive switching wastes ult charge, and most switches are predictable. Oh they have a Winston killing our supports and taking all space. Obligatory Reaper. Pharah zoning the team out. We need quad hitscan Zen D.Va.

Maybe tanks are not pushing properly and fighting in wrong places? Healers having bad target priority with healing? DPS getting in unnecessary or focusing wrong targets? Macro adjust then switch; no need to force people into switching when there are bigger issues to solve on a macro level.

I said this once and I will say it again. You can't blame one person; the game doesn't work like that because it is hard to pinpoint who is the source of the problem most of the time.

Nepenthe

i dont get why people dont switch off heroes when they are constantly dying or arent doing anything. How is that fun? You arent even playing the game by doing that. Do they not even feel guity about wasting ppls time

I'm usually solo healer, so if you like dying faster than you already were in such a match, well, that's fine. I'll switch off.

If not, please group up with me when I'm spamming "Group up" in the chat, especially if you're a tank or DPS main wherein I will assume basic competence with such characters' kits. I will gladly repay your protection with my musical aura of friendship.

Which is only 10 meters.

Which is why I need y'all to group up.

rulerk1

It isn't always the case. Repulsive switching wastes ult charge, and most switches are predictable. Oh they have a Winston killing our supports and taking all space. Obligatory Reaper. Pharah zoning the team out. We need quad hitscan Zen D.Va.

Maybe tanks are not pushing properly and fighting in wrong places? Healers having bad target priority with healing? DPS getting in unnecessary or focusing wrong targets? Macro adjust then switch; no need to force people into switching when there are bigger issues to solve on a macro level.

I said this once and I will say it again. You can't blame one person; the game doesn't work like that because it is hard to pinpoint who is the source of the problem most of the time.

lol im talking about qp with ppl who play snipers/genji and do nothing. Even for comp im still talking about obvious feeders/one trick trolls and ppl who dont do the bare minimum

Schlep

This is why I switched to PC. For some reason, console players fucking hate playing Support.

I mostly tank and Sym, but I'll play healer as needed. On console, at least from gold to mid-diamond, everyone wants to instalock DPS. Funny that I usually have gold damage as Zarya, Orisa, or Sym.

Nepenthe

This is why I switched to PC. For some reason, console players fucking hate playing Support.

There is no lack of Supports on PC, instead it's a strange lack of Tank mains. But solo Tank is still better than solo Support.

I feel like they both kind of need each other. There's a synergy around proper cooperation between tanks and supports that can really elevate a team's performance. But I can count more times winning without a tank than winning without any support whatsoever.

LAM09

Constant theme more often than not. DPS can't kill anything for a solid two minutes, yet they don't change and continue to be detrimental to the team.

The shit that's getting even worse is people openly admitting to playing support/filling with friends but not with randoms (Diamond btw). That alone should be bannable

Veelk

Banned
I love mercy players who follow feeders into hell, rez them, and give the enemy team an additional 2 kills.

Meanwhile the enemy mercy has her team function as her personal goddamn secret service agents where it's impossible to make a crack in the enemy composition.

antitrop

Did they remove the SR winstreak bonus this season?

They removed win and loss streaks somewhere around the middle of Season 4.

The major change with SR in this season is that you no longer place several hundred SR below your previous season end and gain padded SR for a short time to get you back to where the system thinked you belong, now you just place where you finished the last season at.

Two players have been reported by ESPN's Jacob Wolf to have signed for the Houston OWL team owned by OpTic Gaming. Those players are:

- Muma: the main tank for FNRGFE.
- Coolmatt69: the off-tank / flex for FNRGFE and the U.S. World Cup team

Both players are up with the best in western Overwatch for their roles, and are entertaining personalities as well. Muma streams on Twitch, I'm not sure if Coolmatt does though. If you want to watch them in a tournament setting their team qualified for the LAN playoffs of Overwatch Contenders S1 that's in a couple weeks.

Another cool detail of this story is that OpTic's general manager is Flame. Over the course of Overwatch's history Flame has gone from uploading VOD reviews of professional matches to a small audience on YouTube, to casting in smaller tournaments, to being an analyst for this year's World Cup. Just recently he quit his job so he could pursue a career in Overwatch full time. I just thought that was a cool story I should point out.

Full article here: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_...overwatch-players-coolmatt69-muma-sources-say

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Aw, RIP Team Corndog if these guys have to go do OWL stuff now.

Is there a backstory behind Coolmatt's name? I know the guy is good, but the fact that his name sounds like it's straight out of an AOL chatroom always cracks me up.

antitrop

Is there a backstory behind Coolmatt's name? I know the guy is good, but the fact that his name sounds like it's straight out of an AOL chatroom always cracks me up.
I dunno, LG Evil had a support player named Rob420, too.

I enjoyed the Twitch memes whenever he was playing, though. Something like "Whenever rob420 successfully administers Nano Boost, you must hit da bong"

KyleCross

So, my Overwatch group on PS4 has completely fallen apart over the last couple of months so I'm once again stuck playing the game by myself. Any peeps on PS4 still play often and looking for friends?

The team knew they would almost certainly be splitting up when OWL came. Although I'm gonna miss 'em, RIP Corndogs.

I don't know the story behind his name. I do wonder how long he is going to keep the "69" though lol

So, my Overwatch group on PS4 has completely fallen apart over the last couple of months so I'm once again stuck playing the game by myself. Any peeps on PS4 still play often and looking for friends?

What's your comp rank and region? I still play pretty regularly.

Yeah, Rob420 and Coolmatt strike me as the silliest names in the pro scene right now.

I also have a lot of respect for the casters who have to say FNRGFE out loud over and over. It's amazing how they haven't smacked someone on the team for making them say that lol.
It is stuff like this that keeps me from fully embracing esports. The whole production strives to be taken seriously (pre/post-game commentary, everyone in suits/ties/professional garb etc.) and then 'Coolmatt69' pops up on screen and blows a whole the entire facade.

Alucrid

Banned

i think the backstory is as basic as cool and matt and 69

Played a team running 5 Tanks+A Lucio on Kings Row's first point.

We had a legit comp and still got abso-fucking-lutely destroyed. I really might try convincing teams to run it more, it was insanely effective.

We had a legit comp and still got abso-fucking-lutely destroyed. I really might try convincing teams to run it more, it was insanely effective.

I've seen triple barrier and a bastion work crazy well (Rein, Orisa, Winston, Bastion + healer + range damage dealer). It's just insanely hard to get to the bastion. If you only have tanks, I don't see how the opposing team can't just attack from distance until they get the ults to destroy them

I've seen triple barrier and a bastion work crazy well (Rein, Orisa, Winston, Bastion + healer + range damage dealer). It's just insanely hard to get to the bastion. If you only have tanks, I don't see how the opposing team can't just attack from distance until they get the ults to destroy them

Been seeing that combo or similar ones a lot lately too. Its REALLY fucking hard to stop if you don't catch it early before they get momentum, and it doesnt help when your team refuses to flex to deal with it.

If we have semi competant tanks I tend to go Junkrat or Sombra or something (Junk for the rip tire insta kills, or Sombra to hack the Bastion/Orissa and EMP goodness)

Kysen

3 loss in a row 2 win and i'm up SR, personal SR contribution doing work. Had teams of 5 dps 1 tank (me), afk mei in spawn who then came back and locked us in. DPS insta locks not doing anything. I checked their SR loss after each game and it was brutal. That mei lost 30 for trolling that round.

King's Row point A is probably the only map 5 tanks could work on. The map geometry is just so well set up for deathball compared to other maps that weird tank strategies can work there sometimes.

Frester

Is anyone else straight up dropping hard in the past week or two? Feel like I've been on a majority losing streak for ~2+ weeks. First week or two of the season were solid, got up to 2760, but am now struggling to stay in Plat.

Is anyone else straight up dropping hard in the past week or two? Feel like I've been on a majority losing streak for ~2+ weeks. First week or two of the season were solid, got up to 2760, but am now struggling to stay in Plat.

Yup. Currently losing on Horizon because my dumbass team thinks 4 DPS, 1 Tank and 1 Healer can deal with a camp heavy comp. After a whole round I have 3 golds with 2 Elims, 2 Objective Kills, and 2.1k damage. We only managed to draw it because I went Torb and hid like a bitch while my turret got a quad kill during an ult battle.

I'm down from 3550 to 3200, I honestly kinda gave up on this season. Most of my losses are from this same reason, or people trolling/throwing. Nobody wants to play anything but a solo Healing Mercy, theres a Junkrat thats terribly ineffective on almost every team on both sides, and DPS are just meh too much, and I'm constantly locked into Tanking because I'd rather have a solo healer than a shitty solo Tank even when I can easily flex into a better role

There is no lack of Supports on PC, instead it's a strange lack of Tank mains. But solo Tank is still better than solo Support.
Yeah. For some reason on console it always devolves into a "not it" game when the team needs a support.

But then consoles have never really had many multiplayer games with support roles. Meanwhile PC has had them for ages. For example, nearly every MMO.

Yeah. For some reason on console it always devolves into a "not it" game when the team needs a support.

But then consoles have never really had many multiplayer games with support roles. Meanwhile PC has had them for ages. For example, nearly every MMO.

Feels like the biggest problem is the lack of understanding. Someone gets forced into solo or duo healing, shit goes south, they get blamed.

Of course they don't want to play it when people bitch them out for trying their best at a role they don't even like

snack

okay so two questions. having not played this game in a few months (last time was in season 5), this mercy buff is insane.

https://twitter.com/BLK_Rqt/status/910835508493697024/video/1

what is this!! i hope this was fixed already?

Valkyrie unleashes the full power of Mercy's Valkyrie Suit, enhancing her weapons and abilities for 20 seconds:

Resurrect: Cooldown is instantly reset when Valkyrie is activated and reduced to 10s after the initial cast

and based on the quoted subject matter, could a mercy technically do the following:

1. rez an teammate
2. ult (Valkyrie timer at 20s remaining)
3. rez again
4. wait 10 sec (Valkyrie timer at 10s remaining)
5. ult again
6. wait 10 sec
7. ult again (Valkyrie timer at 0s remaining)

so that is 4 rezzes in 40 sec. did i do this right? and with the new mercy, you can't rez more than one at a time can you?

Frester

Yup. Currently losing on Horizon because my dumbass team thinks 4 DPS, 1 Tank and 1 Healer can deal with a camp heavy comp. After a whole round I have 3 golds with 2 Elims, 2 Objective Kills, and 2.1k damage. We only managed to draw it because I went Torb and hid like a bitch while my turret got a quad kill during an ult battle.

I'm down from 3550 to 3200, I honestly kinda gave up on this season. Most of my losses are from this same reason, or people trolling/throwing. Nobody wants to play anything but a solo Healing Mercy, theres a Junkrat thats terribly ineffective on almost every team on both sides, and DPS are just meh too much, and I'm constantly locked into Tanking because I'd rather have a solo healer than a shitty solo Tank even when I can easily flex into a better role

This post is giving me schadenfreude/I know that feel man.

Seems like there's always someone who is playing a hero, but not filling the role. DPS not getting kills, supports not healing etc. It's mildly comforting to know it happens at Diamond and above too :/

Chance

, could a mercy technically do the following:

1. rez an teammate
2. ult (Valkyrie timer at 20s remaining)
3. rez again
4. wait 10 sec (Valkyrie timer at 10s remaining)
5. ult again
6. wait 10 sec
7. ult again (Valkyrie timer at 0s remaining)

so that is 4 rezzes in 40 sec. did i do this right? and with the new mercy, you can't rez more than one at a time can you?

4 rezzes in just over 20 seconds. Example at 1:33 of this vid:
https://youtu.be/E0fcH3GjOUA

I've honestly never dropped as low as I am now. It's getting impossible to find a good game for me. The very few times I get a win it's just a huge steamroll.

It feels like quickplay sensibilities have invaded comp in an overwhelming way.

I've honestly never dropped as low as I am now. It's getting impossible to find a good game for me. The very few times I get a win it's just a huge steamroll.

It feels like quickplay sensibilities have invaded comp in an overwhelming way.

Feel like the biggest problem this season is all the meta changing that happened. We had Junkrat flying up in the meta/being picked constantly, D.va's nerf/changes (Which doesnt help because Junkrat used to be negated pretty hard by Matrix), and Mercy getting overhauled into a more skillbased character that so many still arent playing properly.

It was a perfect storm

Chance

my bad meant 20sec.

damn. that is so crazy. 4 rezzes in 20 sec!

Yes. It makes it literally impossible to counter a team wipe, but Mercy can get a little less than the same number of rezzes across a teamfight, and definitely more rezzes overall across a game.

Top Bottom