• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I swear when I play quick play these days I encounter just as many smurf/new accounts from experienced players than the long term ones.
Often with gimmicky overwatch usernames to really cement that point.

So you'd be far from alone and evidentially blizzard don't care about it.

I'd heard the term but from haven't really seen a lot of it on PS4. Is it frowned upon?

I'd heard the term but from haven't really seen a lot of it on PS4. Is it frowned upon?

I initially was bothered by it, but new accounts like that seem to get elevated to the right ballpark of skill level pretty quick in regards to quick play so there's not as many games of newcomers getting wrecked by not actually newcomers as I'd have expected, which is what I take issue with.

NeoRaider

I need new Ana skin. Can't believe she still doesn't have extra Legendary skin, and she was released more than a year ago.
But i am not sure about Halloween since she got one the last time.

Gorillaz

I'm curious to see how I'd fare on a fresh account (PS4). Getting to 25, placing in comp etc.

Is this against Blizzard's rules? I wouldn't be grouping with anybody or trying to manipulate my placements....

Made a smurf back during anniversary to mess with different characters instead of always tank and to see what I would place comp wise which I finally done like 3 days ago so your not the only one.

antitrop

Blizzard has said that smurfing isn't against the TOS because they believe in their system to accurately place your rank quickly enough.

Chance

New Tracer clip show! From the rare Junkertown games where I wasn't playing Mercy last week.

Standard disclaimers:
-I play on PS4.
-Overwatch is my first multiplayer shooter.
-I'm not very good.
-I have so much fun.

https://vimeo.com/235477164

Or on YouTube, if you prefer.

Favorite bits:
1:10 - this is the Hog I was ducking at the start of the vid. That starting footage was the tail-end of literally a full minute of me dancing around him while his Ana and Mercy healed him. I obviously couldn't kill him, but he hilariously couldn't kill me, either, so getting him alone and finishing him with a melee is delicious.

1:35 - killing an ulting Mercy with a melee is equally yummy.

3:13 - oh man, working with a good Winston is so breezy.

NeoRaider

The best things in life come in small packages... ��

Our new #CuteButDeadly blind box series launches October 10!

DKq2UsdVoAAdsyO.png

OMG D.Va and Sombra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gorillaz

Blizzard has said that smurfing isn't against the TOS because they believe in their system to accurately place your rank quickly enough.

placed in diamond with mine in the same area so yea the game still course corrects it regardless

besides isn't there a joke that jeff made one last october or something lol

New Mercy is butt only because think I can multirez without ult

Speaking of Mercy, I normally play with the beam in toggle mode as opposed to "hold down to heal/blue". When it's like this I find it way harder to target distant allies when I need to GA over to them.

Am I imagining this or is it easier to GA when you don't have toggle-mode on?

Chance

Another nice video. I like the way you set up anticipation for the backwards blink on Hanamura!

Oh shit the YouTube link is the wrong video lol.

The one with the Hanamura footage is super-old, from like last year. But yeah, I love that bit too. Makes something decent out of a very humble PotG. My favorite part is definitely blinking backwards through Rein's shield, though.

The YouTube link for the new video on Junkertown is here. Same song, though lol.

antitrop

Speaking of Mercy, I normally play with the beam in toggle mode as opposed to "hold down to heal/blue". When it's like this I find it way harder to target distant allies when I need to GA over to them.

Am I imagining this or is it easier to GA when you don't have toggle-mode on?
I can only imagine it being an issue if you also have "Guardian Angel Prefers Beam Target" enabled as well.

If you have GAPBT enabled, you would have to melee to break the beam before being able to target someone to fly to. If you have GAPBT disabled, you can keep the beam on whoever you have it on at the moment and still fly to whoever else you want to freely.

GAPBT turned on is a suboptimal way to play Mercy, but some people like to use it to fall off ledges and still be able to GA back to their target without LoS.

Blues1990

I need new Ana skin. Can't believe she still doesn't have extra Legendary skin, and she was released more than a year ago.
But i am not sure about Halloween since she got one the last time.

Keep in mind that McCree and Widowmaker got Legendary skins for the 2017 Summer Games, despite both of them getting an Epic skin respectively last year. At this point, we honestly don't know who will get what for the future events.

That is, unless someone has found data revealing new goodies.

New Tracer clip show! From the rare Junkertown games where I wasn't playing Mercy last week.

Standard disclaimers:
-I play on PS4.
-Overwatch is my first multiplayer shooter.
-I'm not very good.
-I have so much fun.

https://vimeo.com/235477164

Or on YouTube, if you prefer.

Very nice montage. That play against Roadhog was delicious.

DKq2UsdVoAAdsyO.png

OMG D.Va and Sombra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucio is freaking me out, man. 0_0

And he's one of my favourites, but most of the official Overwatch chibi designs don't translate well into cute figurines. Hell, most of them aren't even remotely cute.

Thank you :) because jump is L2 on almost everyone. It's super comfy, and R1 for pulse bomb very quickly became very comfortable.

Interesting. I've got jump bound to L3 for everybody. Switching to the D-pad or face buttons feels so slow when I have to do it. Moving Mercy's weapon swap to R3 was the best thing I've done.

Veelk

Banned
Interesting. I've got jump bound to L3 for everybody. Switching to the D-pad or face buttons feels so slow when I have to do it. Moving Mercy's weapon swap to R3 was the best thing I've done.

L3 is the worst button. I can't get used to pressing it intentionally and accurately with any ability. Eventually, I assigned melee to it, which is okay because doesn't cost anything if I mispress it and I don't need to use it that often. But most importantly, it frees up the R3 button to all sorts of stuff.

I can now finally use all of Genji's abilities without having to stop aiming by using a face button. Tracer's recall is now instanteous instead of the nanosecond it takes for me to hit the face button. I am so much more accurate with McCree's flashbang even when it was on L1. It's strange, but where L3 sucks, R3 is awesome.

I wonder if it's just because I'm right handed.

Anne

That looks like a pain in the ass way to play.

If you want to play any hitscan based FPS at a high level, you need to be able to do this consistently. The drills I intentionally go out of my to keep the croasshair a bit off, so in a real game it looks a bit different. The idea has two parts to it. One is that no matter where your crosshair is on screen, if somebody enters your vision you can very quickly throw your crosshair on them and land a shot. The other is that in a game like Overwatch, people can change the direction they are moving in instantly, so if you're trying to track somebody with erratic movement you can and will make mistakes. If you're just throwing your crosshair back on them instantly with every shot, you got a good chance to land hits.

The reason some players "snap back" with their cursor just has to do with crosshair positioning and muscke memory stuff on the distances you can flick.

Every time I post something showing off flicks I get the same response of "why would you gimp yourself playing like this" when there's a very good reason to be flicking often. I don't take literally every single McCree shot with wide flicks like this, but I take them often enough with smaller ones and some wide ones.

Like, if Pharah hits shift and I'm playing as McCree, I can instantly flick to her face where the shift will put her since it's predictable. Same thing with Genji shift. If somebody wide peeks me I also will flick onto them. Etc.

pizzacat

Banned
If you want to play any hitscan based FPS at a high level, you need to be able to do this consistently. The drills I intentionally go out of my to keep the croasshair a bit off, so in a real game it looks a bit different. The idea has two parts to it. One is that no matter where your crosshair is on screen, if somebody enters your vision you can very quickly throw your crosshair on them and land a shot. The other is that in a game like Overwatch, people can change the direction they are moving in instantly, so if you're trying to track somebody with erratic movement you can and will make mistakes. If you're just throwing your crosshair back on them instantly with every shot, you got a good chance to land hits.

The reason some players "snap back" with their cursor just has to do with crosshair positioning and muscke memory stuff on the distances you can flick.

Every time I post something showing off flicks I get the same response of "why would you gimp yourself playing like this" when there's a very good reason to be flicking often. I don't take literally every single McCree shot with wide flicks like this, but I take them often enough with smaller ones and some wide ones.

Like, if Pharah hits shift and I'm playing as McCree, I can instantly flick to her face where the shift will put her since it's predictable. Same thing with Genji shift. If somebody wide peeks me I also will flick onto them. Etc.
Yea but who wants to get better amirite 😂

Surefour talked about that very recently in his aiming video, explaining it's purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhGgHEd3CpA (around the middle part of the video)

HiiiLife

I can only imagine it being an issue if you also have "Guardian Angel Prefers Beam Target" enabled as well.

If you have GAPBT enabled, you would have to melee to break the beam before being able to target someone to fly to. If you have GAPBT disabled, you can keep the beam on whoever you have it on at the moment and still fly to whoever else you want to freely.

GAPBT turned on is a suboptimal way to play Mercy, but some people like to use it to fall off ledges and still be able to GA back to their target without LoS.

I really need to customize each character to my preference because I had no idea you could do this.

Chance

I really need to customize each character to my preference because I had no idea you could do this.

I definitely keep it off. It allows you to GA to your beam target after breaking LoS - which is cool - but a big part of my play is zipping in, hooking up the beam and keeping it on that ally until it breaks as I fly over to my next heal target. That's a few brief seconds, but it's enough to heal a Genji or Tracer to full as I zip by.

Ah, I get it now. It's e-sports training.

Me? I didn't know what "flicking" was until this game's chat made me look it up. Practicing for hours (or days, or weeks) to get better at flicking is not me.

Does babybay use the same one?

I do. S4 told me to bind it to M2. And oh the Adderall; don't forget it 200MG.

Me? I didn't know what "flicking" was until this game's chat made me look it up. Practicing for hours (or days, or weeks) to get better at flicking is not me.

LOL what? That is a basic aiming method. You naturally start doing it when you play shooters and use projectiles or semi-auto weapons. It is just quick reflex aiming. You develop a muscle memory for it and do it by instinct if you play enough. I've some shooters but I've never came across a community with such low standards of mechanical skill. Like seriously, even COD kids used to try to do flicks and 360 shit back in 2010 on CONSOLE.

Um, the point of these competitive games is to practice and make progress. If practicing for 30mins every day in some training mode/shooting range isn't for you, then I don't get why you are bothering with multiplayer games. Not trying to be toxic or elitists, but just saying. I know some people just play the game for a "daily fix of run and shoot things", but if you play the game for 60-100+ hours, you are committed already; there is no excuse.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

???

Flicking is just a habit that you naturally form when playing anything that's aim intensive. It's that instinctive muscle memory of knowing exactly how much your crosshair moves when you swipe the mouse or nudge the right stick in a certain way with a certain amount of force to acquire your target fast.

It's not an e-sports thing, the technique has been around ever since semi-automatic weapons have been a thing in games on PC. You might be doing it instinctively and you can't even recognize it. Practicing it just makes you more consistent (it becomes muscle memory at some point).

You can see flicking in action on any top McCree player out there. Some of the flicks are micro or really wide. https://youtu.be/CGuKPYUWegM?t=1m4s

Anne's point is that people often say they want to get better at X character, she points out training drills for improving aim and people go "no thanks to that", which is fine if people don't want to put in time but at the same time those same people can't complain about being stuck in ELO hell.

Blues1990

If Ana had 70 DMG & Zenyatta had better survivability, would that encourage players to willingly play Support heroes that don't start with 'M' and end with 'ervy'?

Top Bottom