• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Reaper is another example of Blizzard's "balanced" sadly.

If a hero is "weak" then let's make him really annoying and OP. They keep repeating the same fucking mistakes all the time.

So far in every 1v1 I've had with a Reaper, all a Reaper had to do was charge at me and fire constantly and the Reaper won every time. It's kind of ridiculous. He's definitely a tankbuster now - seems the only/best way to kill him is to focus him down as a group and never get caught by him out of position.

LiK

Is he?

He's much better against tanks that's for sure since every shot at close range will give him ~40hp but against the other characters I don't feel like anything has changed. And it makes sense since he's supposed to be a tank buster, they managed to make him better at that without changing how he works drastically.

He has more survibability now but like before he's a character to be feared at close range, not really a problem otherwise. The other dps heroes will still shit on him for the most part.

Is ult got a lot better though since he keeps getting healed while doing it.

The worst thing about this version of Reaper is that the players are much more gung-ho and aggressive than they used to be. I was playing as Zen last night and the Reaper player basically just came straight for me with no qualms. Of course, it's near impossible for me to kill him with his self-heal now if he ambushes me constantly.

Forget Tanks, Supports should be more scared of Reapers now.

The worst thing about this version of Reaper is that the players are much more gung-ho and aggressive than they used to be. I was playing as Zen last night and the Reaper player basically just came straight for me with no qualms. Of course, it's near impossible for me to kill him with his self-heal now if he ambushes me constantly.

Forget Tanks, Supports should be more scared of Reapers now.

He can only get 40hp max from the supports (and 200hp heroes in general) and this is if he solo kills you, a Reaper shouldn't be engaging a Zen unless he's somewhat close otherwise he will get fucked like always at mid or long range.

LiK

He can only get 40hp max from the supports (and 200hp heroes in general) and this is if he solo kills you, a Reaper shouldn't be engaging a Zen unless he's somewhat close otherwise he will get fucked like always at mid or long range.

Doesn't matter whether he survives or not in the long run. He's basically taking out Supports in the backlines and so there's one less healer to help out. This particular Reaper was basically just teleporting behind us and just killing me off and then going back to the front lines. A few upclose shots and I'm dead before my team can even get to him. He basically made it impossible for me to contribute in Illios last night.

there was this one game where one guy literally ran in front of me as i was throwing a nade into the rest of the team. i don't get why some people keep standing in front while i trying to scope heal as well. bitch move.

Ertai

Hard to say without a recording, but you should avoid queuing comp around this hour if you're NA. It'll vary between person to person, but I usually have the worst luck after 12-1 am especially during weekend Overwatch.

Yeah, was late at night in EU. I think i'll keep some footage next time and make a montage or something

Just to provide you some support something similar happened to me end of last season. I dropped from just under 4.2k to 3.6-3.7k
So about a 500-600 sr drop.

Then i stabalised win and losses to around 3.8k.

Part of me honestly thought i was boosted but it is possible to have legitimate bad game streaks that you cant control no matter what and you truly feel helpless. Like i didnt really feel tilted when i was dropping more like "damn is this happening"

You just gotta take some time off. That can be a day or a week to get ur groove back.

Just think over ur mistakes and you can come back strong.

I made it back to 4k after placements this season put me at 3.6k

😇😇😇😇
Dont give up
😇😇😇😇

Thanks for this. After my S1 season end ranking of 61 i got ranked around 2800 mostly the later seasons and i've been dying to at least break 3K. Let's see how we fare later today

Doesn't matter whether he survives or not in the long run. He's basically taking out Supports in the backlines and so there's one less healer to help out. This particular Reaper was basically just teleporting behind us and just killing me off and then going back to the front lines. A few upclose shots and I'm dead before my team can even get to him. He basically made it impossible for me to contribute in Illios last night.

I know what you mean but he could still do the exact same thing before and even get more hp in return (the orb gave him 50hp).

My point was that when he's fighting heroes with a smaller health pool his new ability won't make that much of a difference. Tanks are doomed though, the supports/dps will have to be there to deal with him from range, he has to be a high priority target if he's in the middle of the fight because if he's shooting at a big target he will not go down as easily.

LiK

I know what you mean but he could still do the exact same thing before and even get more hp in return (the orb gave him 50hp).

My point was that when he's fighting heroes with a smaller health pool his new ability won't make that much of a difference. Tanks are doomed though, the supports/dps will have to be there to deal with him from range, he has to be a high priority target if he's in the middle of the fight because if he's shooting at a big target he will not go down as easily.

I know, his tank killing abilities isn't what I'm talking about. I'm saying that his rework basically gives Reaper players more confidence in their survivability so they'll go after squishes like Supports more than they used to.

otakuderek

That was fun.

I'm still laughin over that 2 stack mercy...I sent you friend request guys, hey I sent you friend request, lulz.

Your Zen was nice as shit.

Those two were indeed a special bunch. You were rock solid with Zarya. I've never been able to get a handle on her.

What happened, or are you referring to the infamous C9 throw from times gone past?

Last night was day 2 of Overwatch Contenders group stage. Despite their all star roster, Cloud 9 sat at 3rd place behind Renegades and Kungarna. In their 3 games last night they managed to nearly not qualify and go 1-1-1, but ended up tying with Kungarna in both record and map score, so they were to play a BO3 on Oasis.

Now there is a bit of a rivalry between these two teams as Mykl of Kungarna really hates Cloud 9 for some reason and has been talking trash in a really cringy way on Twitter for the past 2 days. Cloud 9 had the chance to eliminate them on a map they won 100-0, 100-0, 100-0 on earlier in their match against Kungarna. Cloud 9 won the first round, but somehow managed to lose the next two and get knocked out of the tournament. Inexplicably, for the whole round they switched their roles to where they had Xepher on Tracer, Gods on D.Va, and Surefour on Genji, despite them having a lot of success with their normal roles as soon as a couple weeks ago.

tl,dr Cloud 9 choked on their best map against their biggest rival and got knocked out of the tournament in embarrassing fashion.

Kysen

Thanks for this. After my S1 season end ranking of 61 i got ranked around 2800 mostly the later seasons and i've been dying to at least break 3K. Let's see how we fare later today
This sounds to me like you haven't found a stable carry character. 61 season 1 is definitely better than most of diamond.

LiK

Last night was day 2 of Overwatch Contenders group stage. Despite their all star roster, Cloud 9 sat at 3rd place behind Renegades and Kungarna. In their 3 games last night they managed to nearly not qualify and go 1-1-1, but ended up tying with Kungarna in both record and map score, so they were to play a BO3 on Oasis.

Now there is a bit of a rivalry between these two teams as Mykl of Kungarna really hates Cloud 9 for some reason and has been talking trash in a really cringy way on Twitter for the past 2 days. Cloud 9 had the chance to eliminate them on a map they won 100-0, 100-0, 100-0 on earlier in their match against Kungarna. Cloud 9 won the first round, but somehow managed to lose the next two and get knocked out of the tournament. Inexplicably, for the whole round they switched their roles to where they had Xepher on Tracer, Gods on D.Va, and Surefour on Genji, despite them having a lot of success with their normal roles as soon as a couple weeks ago.

tl,dr Cloud 9 choked on their best map against their biggest rival and got knocked out of the tournament in embarrassing fashion.

I don't follow tourneys but they sound like a bunch of immature kids. I'm guessing when the OW tourneys start, these types of attitudes online will be squashed by Blizz.

_Legacy_

Got into a game of grandmasters and top 500 (me being diamond); Volskaya. They set up a party, I join them. They wanna go dive, that's OK by me so I pick Zen (we already had a Lucio). We get the first point pretty easily, but struggle on the second one. They start blaming me because "you never go Zen on dive". Mmmm...maybe if you focus on the guys I'm getting discorded and do something about that turret we can get the point. They refuse, so I go Mercy, which for them apparently is better for a dive. I get oblitared every 2 out of 3 times we get to the point, but in the end we manage to capture it. On defense, I pick up Mercy because apparently nobody wants to heal, so I'm solo healing. You would think that guys with this level know that they have to protect the fuckin solo healer. NOPE. I get ganbanged constantly by Winston, Tracer and Genji. They get the first point.

Defending the second point:
-Man, our Mercy is pretty bad, we're not gonna hold this.
-Hello guys, this is bad Mercy, just wanted to tell that I'm here on the party.
-Oh shit.
-Right. Listen, I don't care what you think, but it would be nice if you try to do something about that Winston and Tracer that are constantly killing me.
-Shit, why didn't you say that before?
-I told you several times, but I guess you are too pro to listen to a diamond player.
They laugh.

In the end we ended up winning the game, but having these guys lecturing me about Zen being a bad pick for dive and being a crappy Mercy when they don't even try to lend me a hand from time to time? Come on man. I didn't even get mad, they were struggling to get kills and not going YOLO on defense, so it's easy to blame the lower ranked guy, even more if you think he's not in the party.

At least you guys won, you'd think they would notice if the Tracer and Genji were constantly flanking.

EDIT: I'll be on around 9pm today, if you're around.

Damn, C9 at it again.

LiK

Because of being heavily focused on by Winston and Dvas last night as Soldier, I'm going to use Reaper again just to counter them. I need his reworked tankbuster capability. I'll be switching to him if any tanks become a problem for us again.

Edit: I'll also consider switching to Junk sooner if there are no Pharahs.

LiK

The line of sight change to her ult is a great suggestion. Because yeah, you shouldn't be resurrecting behind walls. That's dumb.

Literally lost a match once cuz the Mercy rezzed beneath the damn floor in Horizon in a QP match. Was watching in PotG and was shaking my head.

I don't follow tourneys but they sound like a bunch of immature kids. I'm guessing when the OW tourneys start, these types of attitudes online will be squashed by Blizz.

It's really only Mykl who acts like a kid. And he hasn't done anything really wrong yet, he just acts like a 12 year old for some reason.

I say that but both him and his teammate Babybay got banned from CSGO for cheating, so it wouldn't shock me if they do something like that in the future.

Fugu

Now that the unfun roadhog one hit is gone, the biggest problem left with the game is Pharah hard countering over half the roster.

Team her up with a very common Zen or Mercy and you need at least two out of a pool of like 6 heroes to have a chance, and if the 2 anti-pharah players happen to get out played, there's not much the other 4 can do about it but switch or lose.

That single character is why every single match ends up with me being either Dva, Winston, Zenyatta, or Soldier 76, when there's so many other characters I'd rather play.
Console or PC?

Mr Git

Literally lost a match once cuz the Mercy rezzed beneath the damn floor in Horizon in a QP match. Was watching in PotG and was shaking my head.

Saw you on last night/this morning but tbh I'm not at best for comp at 4am after work and half cut. Actually I think we're diff ranks anyhoo.

exYle

I know, his tank killing abilities isn't what I'm talking about. I'm saying that his rework basically gives Reaper players more confidence in their survivability so they'll go after squishes like Supports more than they used to.

So you agree with ND that he's not OP? Player psychology and actual overpowered mechanics are not the same

LiK

So you agree with ND that he's not OP? Player psychology and actual overpowered mechanics are not the same

He's not OP at all. He's just more annoying with his survivability now. You need to focus fire on him more to take him out now during team fights.

Fugu

Prolly console, one time I was mercy db'n our soldier...he emptied his whole clip at Pharah and never got a single hit marker.

These were platinum level players.
I assumed this as well. I'm a big PC Pharah player and a... not Pharah player and I think she's fine on PC. A team that pays her no heed is probably going to get shit on by her but many of the game's most common characters right now (like Zen and D.Va) are pretty good at dealing with her and can be used as part of a strategy to counter her.

Anne's mentioned this in the thread before, but I think that viability has a lot to do with what tanks are being played. As long as D.Va is big Pharah will always be limited in use. If we ever see a 0 tank meta then yes, Pharah will be a pretty ridiculous character. But her usefulness is directly correlated with the number of tanks and number of D.Vas.

exYle

He's not OP at all. He's just more annoying with his survivability now. You need to focus fire on him more to take him out now during team fights.

Ok.

The discussion started last page with someone saying that he was OP, which I found really annoying

LiK

Ok.

The discussion started last page with someone saying that he was OP, which I found really annoying

I still think he's situational. If the enemy tanks are wrecking shit, Reaper is a good hero to counter now with the rework.

Should I start spending my 3300 credit on random unlocks?

Ive played for 90 hours and only have 3300 credit so it seems like a lot of grinding

To extend on this. People need to realize that he's a front line brawler. If you fight him at medium range you can take him out. Example is the Tracer vs Reaper matchup now.

I don't see Reaper being a problem. I really think it's coming down to how people approach dueling the Reaper. If you allow the Reaper to get away with running it down main and killing people, that means it's a problem with your team. Not Reaper himself.

Should I start spending my 3300 credit on random unlocks?

Ive played for 90 hours and only have 3300 credit so it seems like a lot of grinding

I'd save up. The event is going to happen maybe next month or so.

Yea, Reaper is still weak against most DPS in 1v1. But when it comes to Tanks, dude is a beast now.

Oh yeah. Totally. D.VA is getting some love against him since she absolutely stops his death blossom. It's up to the Reaper player to know his/her game sense to death blossom. Or at least communicate to the team that this fight is winnable when we get D.VA out of her mech.

Ertai

2 times in a row losing the game because Mercy hides and resses the team in a small room. The other time she just ran out her spawn room and ressed 4 people. She defo needs a fix

2 times in a row losing the game because Mercy hides and resses the team in a small room. The other time she just ran out her spawn room and ressed 4 people. She defo needs a fix

I thought she was fine when she was vulnerable during rez

Why did they make her invincible?

rulerk1

Was gonna win a comp game but someone in a duo left becuase he had to go do something. I hate this playerbase so much. His friend didn't even talk about it ugh

I thought she was fine when she was vulnerable during rez

Why did they make her invincible?
Developer comment from when the patch went live.

ALL Overwatch Patch Notes – February 28 said:
Developer Comments: Mercy’s Resurrect has always been very powerful, but it often forces her to sacrifice herself to use it well. There have been changes in the past that attempted to help her in this area, but haven’t done enough to solve it. This change means that once she uses the ability, she will always survive long enough to be with her team again.

This.

Please change it back blizzard.
Why? Her invincibility made her able to survive a bunch of ultimates that couldn't survive without it. One of the issues now is that her healing disconnects when she resurrects; which wasn't an issue until they gave her invincibility.

Without her invincibility in fights the enemy team would always have an advantage of it being a 5v6 fight. Since Mercy is dying unless her team is positioning for her to guardian angel back.

Veelk

Banned
I think giving Mercy's Rez a line of sight function (so she can't just afk until that happens) can fix a lot of the problems.

Also, it would help if instead of glowing yellow balls, I'd prefer to have a silhouette of the characters she's gonna rez with an indicator above them saying if they have Ult or not. Knowing who they're gonna Rez and if they got an ult to work with will help team coordination and encourage mercies to rez priority targets.

AbaFadi

Banned
I assumed this as well. I'm a big PC Pharah player and a... not Pharah player and I think she's fine on PC. A team that pays her no heed is probably going to get shit on by her but many of the game's most common characters right now (like Zen and D.Va) are pretty good at dealing with her and can be used as part of a strategy to counter her.

Anne's mentioned this in the thread before, but I think that viability has a lot to do with what tanks are being played. As long as D.Va is big Pharah will always be limited in use. If we ever see a 0 tank meta then yes, Pharah will be a pretty ridiculous character. But her usefulness is directly correlated with the number of tanks and number of D.Vas.

If you take a look at the official Blizzard forums she's next on their hit list so be ready for the nerf next patch lol.

Tbh, I'd be okay with a Pharah nerf. Having to use up 2-3 spots on your team to deal with Pharah is pretty annoying anyways, especially when your hitscan isn't focusing her.

Why? Her invincibility made her able to survive a bunch of ultimates that couldn't survive without it. One of the issues now is that her healing disconnects when she resurrects; which wasn't an issue until they gave her invincibility.

Without her invincibility in fights the enemy team would always have an advantage of it being a 5v6 fight. Since Mercy is dying unless her team is positioning for her to guardian angel back.

Lulz exactly.

I don't like mercy

Ertai

I don't think her invincibility is the problem here. Mercy's ability to res through walls is what needs reworking imho. Like people that said it here in this thread earlier. It's stupid that she can hide in a corner or in some cases beneath the floor to res their entire team. You kill her first and then you give her a window to fly in and res everyone. You kill her later and she has 5 potential fresh corpses to res. The only way to perhaps counter this is to have someone harass her from her spawn if she runs back alone but usually she's accompanied by 1 person also running back just a little bit later making the task quite a bit harder and you leave your team with at least 1 man short.

If you take a look at the official Blizzard forums she's next on their hit list so be ready for the nerf next patch lol.

Tbh, I'd be okay with a Pharah nerf. Having to use up 2-3 spots on your team to deal with Pharah is pretty annoying anyways, especially when your hitscan isn't focusing her.

Yes please. It's pretty hard to focus her down as a Soldier especially on console. All it takes is a few rockets near you and you're in big trouble. Not to mention the fact that it's hard to aim when bounced around by rocket fire. I will never understand why they buffed her on console. On PC i could maybe understand it but that buff should have never ever hit consoles.

Nimby

Banned
Sty just released a video about the Mercy problem. Pretty good discussion about it.

I will watch later but I dunno, you make resurrect shit and you're just putting Mercy back down to shit tier. LOS on res would make it so one-tricks couldn't hide, but it also makes it more difficult for the team when Mercy is in the middle of the point and someone gets eliminated out of LOS but next to point. You'd be better off fixing the issues with the ranked system.

If you're going to do a nerf like that, you have to fix what's wrong with the rest of her kit:
1. Mercy doesn't deal damage and heal at the same time
2. Mercy healing is inferior to Ana the higher you go up on ladder (maybe not so much now because of D.Va)
3. Mercy's kit is not as versatile and is designed to do two things: single target damage buff and heal
4. Incredibly vulnerable without Pharah or decent high ground opportunities

Fugu

They probably should nerf her on console. It makes absolutely no sense to nerf her on PC however, since we've only recently reached a place where she's actually workable at high levels. As for needing two slots on your team to counter her, that's true but so does every other non-hitscan non-healer when used in an advantageous situation. Bastion requires a concerted effort to counter but he sucks.

Pharah was irrelevant in Season 1 and 2 and had a very hard time in the tank meta. Now her pick rate in pro games is in the high single digits and her stats in comp are like, below average for a DPS. I think the issue here is of perception in that getting beat by a Pharah often feels like a stomp, but she doesn't actually win that much and the big tanks have a much larger impact on the game.

Top Bottom