• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Segregating groups in competitive mode is so annoying, as a solo player I'm always matched with premades who never join the team chat. It should be opt out rather than opt in in competitive mode

Seems I'm in the minority who thinks comp should be teams of 6 rather than 1+2+3. Some of the most fun I've had with the game has been brainstorming strats with randoms in matchmaking, but Blizzard seems to incentivize a more segregated approach which is really making me lose interest in the game

Oh man so many comp woes. I feel ya guys.

I'd try comp but if my qp games are anything to go by... Its all bronze and silvers.

I think that says enough of where I'm currently at skillwise sadly. I remember reading something about your comp rank is literally just your qp rank or w/e.

On PS4 anywhere between gold and diamond, I'd go as far as saying there's no difference between comp and quick play lately

I don't even care about climbing the ladder I just want to play with a bit of team work

The problem is there's no incentive for people to play quick play and comp has become the default mode. It's full of casuals now lol

LiK

0-3 in 5 stack. I think I'll settle for 3 stack at most next time. These matches against full stacks aren't fun. I think I dropped like 80SR

Geneijin

I'd try comp but if my qp games are anything to go by... Its all bronze and silvers.

I think that says enough of where I'm currently at skillwise sadly. I remember reading something about your comp rank is literally just your qp rank or w/e.
Quick Play and Comp are still very much different games mainly because games are longer and each team has a chance to attack and defense. Then there's the possibility of OT and double OT. The quality of games aren't the same for me in Platinum because of the different win conditions and whatnot.

exYle

The same way?
Not even close.

Lucio can be killed before getting Sound Barrier off and makes himself a massive target by jumping up in the air. Even if he does get it off, you can damage through it or simply wait it out because it's not a permanent effect. Zen becomes invincible, but it's a PBAoE which means the teammates are dependent on Zen not being a dumbass and floating out of range.

Mercy's ultimate happens instantly and, despite having an animation nearly as long and exposed as Lucios, cannot be killed out of it. She doesn't have to worry about position as much as Lucio or Zen for the ultimate to be effective and she can build iup a second rez faster than Lucio or Zen can build up another Sound Barrier or Transcendence. Oh and she can escape faster, better, and more frequently.

Peanut butter area of effect

LiK

Man, I'm still salty that Bastion came outta no where and got the point in the last match. Thought we killed everyone and that fucker ends up saving the game for them. Wanted a win before bed. Sigh

kurahador

I could be wrong, but I think QP arranged the team so that it's filled with players from different skill levels. Like I always get grouped up with a combination Bronze, Silvers, Gold and Plat. Just because you're seeing lower/higher SSR players, doesn't mean you belong in those.

Gorillaz

Fuck competitive. It's not for me. Matches are too long and victories that should feel uplifting and rewarding feel like 'shit, now we have to hit that same level again'. Games are too long, too exhausting.
Comp is def draining mentally I always have to be in the mind set for it. It's even worse if you go back and forth just to draw

Owzers

0-3 in 5 stack. I think I'll settle for 3 stack at most next time. These matches against full stacks aren't fun. I think I dropped like 80SR
We managed to win the next game, but it was as ugly as the others outside of us having a bastion on nubani attack. It took all the way to the end of our defense for our widow to switch, then they went back to widow on attack for a bit because the dream never ends.

LiK

We managed to win the next game, but it was as ugly as the others outside of us having a bastion on nubani attack. It took all the way to the end of our defense for our widow to switch, then they went back to widow on attack for a bit because the dream never ends.

Surprised you guys kept going. I have set rule now for 3 losses in a row. Don't wanna keep falling.

0-4 solo queue comp, 3-4 with GAF stack. Went from almost Platinum at 2490 back down to 2410, and I've just about hit 50 matches so if there's any special boost from wins left it's gone now. And most of the losses with the GAF stack were close matches that we could have won, so it wasn't too bad. Feel like I've gotten respectable enough as Ana to play her in Competitive. At least respectable enough for PS4, at any rate.

Man, I'm still salty that Bastion came outta no where and got the point in the last match. Thought we killed everyone and that fucker ends up saving the game for them. Wanted a win before bed. Sigh

Yeah, that really sucked. But gotta be honest, I had to give that team props for the organized strategy. They purposefully had the Zarya attack from the front, then had four people fly around and we lost track of the number, then the Bastion came in at just the right time to not get noticed until it was too late. Sucked because we had that won otherwise.

I'm so surprised we won that one - having Bastion and Widowmaker as our DPS on attack, I was sure we were screwed.

Owzers

Surprised you guys kept going. I have set rule now for 3 losses in a row. Don't wanna keep falling.
We must not let our spirits be broken no matter how low our SR goes. Plus Pinku and I already got as high rank tier as we are getting this season probably.

LiK

0-4 solo queue comp, 3-4 with GAF stack. Went from almost Platinum at 2490 back down to 2410, and I've just about hit 50 matches so if there's any special boost from wins left it's gone now. And most of the losses with the GAF stack were close matches that we could have won, so it wasn't too bad. Feel like I've gotten respectable enough as Ana to play her in Competitive. At least respectable enough for PS4, at any rate.

Yeah, that really sucked. But gotta be honest, I had to give that team props for the organized strategy. They purposefully had the Zarya attack from the front, then had four people fly around and we lost track of the number, then the Bastion came in at just the right time to not get noticed until it was too late. Sucked because we had that won otherwise.

I'm so surprised we won that one - having Bastion and Widowmaker as our DPS on attack, I was sure we were screwed.

The worst thing about previous losses was I was getting focused on too much. First game had Winston and Dva just tag team up my ass when I was Soldier. Their Pharah was terrible but I could hardly get a shot off in later rounds cuz Dva ate my shots while Winston just zapped me.

Second game as Zen and their Reaper was pretty much focusing on me the entire match. Dude would just chase me down and ignore everyone else.

Third game was just the other team being better at countering. But it really was that Bastion who saved it cuz they had 10 seconds left when he killed us. Really bad luck. At least the random was a nice guy.

We must not let our spirits be broken no matter how low our SR goes. Plus Pinku and I already got as high rank tier as we are getting this season probably.

I just wanna reach Diamond, then I can relax. Now I need to make up for the losses, hopefully some of the bonus SR still applies.

One thing we need to work on is focus fire on Dvas. I dunno how many times my shots got eaten up tonight. Which is why I kept Discording her and asked someone to switch to Zarya.

Gorillaz

Yo

I just played a game on illois with miz one

Lol

He wasn't even toxic he started out like he was bout to go down that path since he lost a game before me earlier with a2 stack in this match but that shit died quick. Literally was silent other then saying my winston was good after we 3-0 and I got POTG

Half expected the legendary toxic talk lol

Shouta

I really hate when your teammates in comp aren't recognizing the enemy team's Winston is going after your supports and won't focus him down. -_-

I really hate when your teammates in comp aren't recognizing the enemy team's Winston is going after your supports and won't focus him down. -_-

If I'm healing and I even see a Winston looking in my direction I'll go ahead and call out for help preemptively.

I'll try again - is there a comp people use to counter dive? Twice in comp games I've had people say they're expecting the enemy team to dive, but they always take a pretty vanilla meta defense comp.

The second time it happened I asked what we should do to counter, and the response was, "just play who you're best at".

Is there any generally agreed upon strategy or comp for countering a dive? Anything to avoid?

I've been wrecked by dives and held dives off with no ticks, but I couldn't tell if there was anything special going on in any of those games.

Lucio, Sombra, Reaper, D.Va, Torb or Symm, and Winston.

Basically anti-tank, DM, dive-squishy killer, turret(s), and survivability from your supports.

Took a break from Overwatch to finish Wolfenstein this weekend, sounds like alot of dudes here had some bad times in comp.

Weekday nights comp is the way to go.

Kain

Hog can still be fun with some help from your team. Before you just threw yourself into the fray as a one man army but now that you need help to finish off the other chars you have to play more safely, peeak a boo style. You get out of a corner, drag someone close and finish them off with another teammate's help. I suppose that was the intent with the changes...

And well, your damage numbers will be shit, but you can still score more or less the same number of kills, which is kind of the point isn't it?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hog can still be fun with some help from your team. Before you just threw yourself into the fray as a one man army but now that you need help to finish off the other chars you have to play more safely, peeak a boo style. You get out of a corner, drag someone close and finish them off with another teammate's help. I suppose that was the intent with the changes...

And well, your damage numbers will be shit, but you can still score more or less the same number of kills, which is kind of the point isn't it?

Roadhog was already stealth worse than he often seems because of how easy it is to build ult off him.

So now that he seems pretty mediocre, he's actually extremely terrible.

Had my first really good night in a while. Went 10-1 in comp with a random set of folks I grouped up with. There were 4 of them, plus me solo, and another guy. And the matches weren't even close (other than the loss). Our basic team comp for every match was Lucio, Zen, D.VA, Winston, with switching between (Rein, Bastion, Torb, Symmetra, Genji) depending on the map. We never had a mercy which I thought would bite us, but we were diving them so fast it ended up not hurting us as much as I feared.

After quite a few nights of solo q hell and even rough matches with my normal 3-4 stack of friends, this was a much needed night.

You mean a...one man apocalypse?

Good Roadhog players already played a "peak-a-boo" style to limit their ult feed.

No one wants to sit around and babysit Roadhog.

I said something and they ignored me. =(
I wonder what that's like...

Just know that no matter how bad your comp matches were tonight, you had a better time than Cloud 9 did.

No one will throw as hard as they did either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Now that the unfun roadhog one hit is gone, the biggest problem left with the game is Pharah hard countering over half the roster.

Team her up with a very common Zen or Mercy and you need at least two out of a pool of like 6 heroes to have a chance, and if the 2 anti-pharah players happen to get out played, there's not much the other 4 can do about it but switch or lose.

That single character is why every single match ends up with me being either Dva, Winston, Zenyatta, or Soldier 76, when there's so many other characters I'd rather play.

joanot

Fuck competitive... just done my placement matches on Xbox, 6 wins 4 losses, averaging 40-50 kills per match, getting +3 golds... placed at 1.185 SR, finished last season at 1.385 ( took a huge hit playing with a noob friend) WTF???

Im gold on PS4, where I only play solo,sure my performance is worse on Xbox because I'm not feeling comfortable with the sticks sensitivity yet, thats why I main Reaper/Dva/Sym on it.

Why the hell did I got such a low rank even compared to my shitty last season ???

I think Im done with competitive on Xbox, tired of playing boring one sided matches, dont think I have got the will to climb from hell.

Yager

Banned
Got into a game of grandmasters and top 500 (me being diamond); Volskaya. They set up a party, I join them. They wanna go dive, that's OK by me so I pick Zen (we already had a Lucio). We get the first point pretty easily, but struggle on the second one. They start blaming me because "you never go Zen on dive". Mmmm...maybe if you focus on the guys I'm getting discorded and do something about that turret we can get the point. They refuse, so I go Mercy, which for them apparently is better for a dive. I get oblitared every 2 out of 3 times we get to the point, but in the end we manage to capture it. On defense, I pick up Mercy because apparently nobody wants to heal, so I'm solo healing. You would think that guys with this level know that they have to protect the fuckin solo healer. NOPE. I get ganbanged constantly by Winston, Tracer and Genji. They get the first point.

Defending the second point:
-Man, our Mercy is pretty bad, we're not gonna hold this.
-Hello guys, this is bad Mercy, just wanted to tell that I'm here on the party.
-Oh shit.
-Right. Listen, I don't care what you think, but it would be nice if you try to do something about that Winston and Tracer that are constantly killing me.
-Shit, why didn't you say that before?
-I told you several times, but I guess you are too pro to listen to a diamond player.
They laugh.

In the end we ended up winning the game, but having these guys lecturing me about Zen being a bad pick for dive and being a crappy Mercy when they don't even try to lend me a hand from time to time? Come on man. I didn't even get mad, they were struggling to get kills and not going YOLO on defense, so it's easy to blame the lower ranked guy, even more if you think he's not in the party.

Ertai

wp_ss_20170626_0003tkor2.png

I now have a 40% winrate in comp, the lowest it has ever been and i have played since launch.

I have no idea what's going on, in the end i went 1-10 and even the one match we won was a real struggle and we won it with the right amount of luck. Of the 10 i lost i'd say around 8 were complete and utter steamrolls where we had absolutely no chance of winning at all ever.

I don't understand how it works. I can imagine entering a losing streak every now and then but this feels like something else entirely. Losing games is part of the experience, i get that. But just having no chance at all for so many matches is just not a fun experience

blanchot

i have been honing mccree, really taking me back to my cs1.6 days. quaint times.

5X6SKP6.png

this is of course only in QP. I can't seem to make use of mccree in comp, unfortunately.

Geneijin

I now have a 40% winrate in comp, the lowest it has ever been and i have played since launch.

I have no idea what's going on, in the end i went 1-10 and even the one match we won was a real struggle and we won it with the right amount of luck. Of the 10 i lost i'd say around 8 were complete and utter steamrolls where we had absolutely no chance of winning at all ever.

I don't understand how it works. I can imagine entering a losing streak every now and then but this feels like something else entirely. Losing games is part of the experience, i get that. But just having no chance at all for so many matches is just not a fun experience
Hard to say without a recording, but you should avoid queuing comp around this hour if you're NA. It'll vary between person to person, but I usually have the worst luck after 12-1 am especially during weekend Overwatch.

Just to provide you some support something similar happened to me end of last season. I dropped from just under 4.2k to 3.6-3.7k
So about a 500-600 sr drop.

Then i stabalised win and losses to around 3.8k.

Part of me honestly thought i was boosted but it is possible to have legitimate bad game streaks that you cant control no matter what and you truly feel helpless. Like i didnt really feel tilted when i was dropping more like "damn is this happening"

You just gotta take some time off. That can be a day or a week to get ur groove back.

Just think over ur mistakes and you can come back strong.

I made it back to 4k after placements this season put me at 3.6k

😇😇😇😇
Dont give up
😇😇😇😇

NeoRaider

Reaper is another example of Blizzard's "balanced" sadly.

If a hero is "weak" then let's make him really annoying and OP. They keep repeating the same fucking mistakes all the time.

LiK

Also, we hit a barrierwatch last night where a team on defensewho had Rein, Orisa and Symm. I switched to Junk and totally trashed them in the first point of Volskya. The best part was just going right up to Orisa and Rein and just spamming nades up their ass. They had no counter to me. Shame the second point wasn't so easy with a Bastion and Soldier shooting down everyone.

Reaper is another example of Blizzard's "balanced" sadly.

If a hero is "weak" then let's make him really annoying and OP. They keep repeating the same fucking mistakes all the time.

Is he?

He's much better against tanks that's for sure since every shot at close range will give him ~40hp but against the other characters I don't feel like anything has changed. And it makes sense since he's supposed to be a tank buster, they managed to make him better at that without changing how he works drastically.

He has more survibability now but like before he's a character to be feared at close range, not really a problem otherwise. The other dps heroes will still shit on him for the most part.

Is ult got a lot better though since he keeps getting healed while doing it.

Top Bottom