• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Cappa

Banned
Console peasant hits gm on pc.
Not everyone who transitions from console to pc is going to hit grandmaster obviously but I think it's easier to climb on pc than console solely based on the average experiences from people.

Congrats all the same as that just proves that if you can do it on console you can do the same on pc or even better.
Does ps4 comp play alot of dive comp? Since anne said it messes with genji and tracers healthpack routing.
I definitely havent seen a whole lot of full on dive comp during my plat days. Ppl still rely on their healer because of halfass dive comp. Im looking at you hoggies!
When it's me nd Owzers Batman and Pinku we tend to go dive.

Lot of dive in diamond /master as well in my solo q time

komaruR

Not everyone who transitions from console to pc is going to hit grandmaster obviously but I think it's easier to climb on pc than console solely based on the average experiences from people.

Congrats all the same as that just proves that if you can do it on console you can do the same on pc or even better.

Guess things are transitioning with the current meta. I rember when i tried to go winston theres always a random that choose like hog or mccree or something that have less mobility. Which makes the dive an half ass dive comp lol
But then again, alot of things can work in plat. So it just matter whos the better teamwork and player.

Pundere

Anyone got any Winston tips? I never played him much before since he requires good team coordination to work, but I've been getting into comp more so I think it'd be good to know how to play the monkey.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone got any Winston tips? I never played him much before since he requires good team coordination to work, but I've been getting into comp more so I think it'd be good to know how to play the monkey.

When you run out of ammo, jump into the air vertically to get a reprieve from the shots and reload while you're in the air. Use stairs to get that instant leap damage from takeoff and landing, melee when you know you can hit it, don't always rush to use your barrier on a dive if they dont know you're diving on them. If you throw down the bubble it makes it very obvious to the pubber McRee that you're murdering their Mercy, in Primal Rage if you're in deep and need to get back to your base, make sure to use your last 2 seconds to leap out of the fight and towards your team then when primal rage ends, your regular leap will refresh and you can basically double jump and cover a ton of distance

Remember that your lightning goes through shields and tickle Reinhardt up front to try to get him to drop his shield and melee you so your DPS can hurt him. And remember if you get a Symmetra silly enough to engage with you, your gun goes through shields. Hers does not.

It's not that it's easier to climb on PC, but your game sense completely carries over. Abafadi was consistently top 500/GM in previous seasons on console. Meanwhile, I was consistently plat-diamond on console, so I'm plat-diamond on pc. I can see myself improving, but I've never been in masters long enough to get a sense of how games are supposed played at that level :(

Are there any good youtube channels that have good strategy guides for heroes, maps, team comp, and just strategy in general? I'm kinda looking for guides that deal exclusively within the console space cuz the landscape, I assume, is way different on pc.

I consider myself pretty good at Overwatch, but I'm always looking to improve my game. Even if it means breaking down the basics.

Veelk

Banned
Console players: How do you feel about Soldier 76 now?

I was the one who is probably the most vehemently against him, so I was really happy when his nerf finally came in. And in terms of pure damage, I think he's at a much better place, even though he's still really powerful. A good Soldier can still be oppressive, but now the character doesn't feel oppressive by his very nature. I still think he could use a little more nerf though.

But rather than nerfing his damage more, I'd rather they lessen his other abilities. His heal station gives him a truly ridiculous amount of health really fast. I know certain heroes can burst through it, but it's more doable on PC than consoles since it's harder to aim. It feels cheap to have him at low health, only for him to lay down a healing station, have him jitter around healing whatever the damage that should have finished him off while he outputs massive damage onto you.

So my fix for that is to make it counter-able. Have it eatable by D.Va's DM, reflectable by Genji or just destructible from basic enemy fire. It would remain a powerful ability, but it wouldn't just a "Haha, I have 400HP now because fuck you" thing. If left alone, then people would have to deal with it as normal. If people decide to target it, then Soldier has a few spare seconds to do what they want while they go out of their way to fire on the heal station and leave him alone. This ability would be more useful against some than others (Winston would be the only one who could effectively target both him and the heal station, or Pharah firing down would probably hit with splash damage), but I don't think that's a bad thing. I just want to be able to DO something about soldiers that decide to heal themselves.

I also wouldn't mind putting a CD on his sprinting. Not a large one, but I feel it's kind of bullshit that he gets to scramble away whenever he wants no matter what. I mean, isn't it enough that he has a powerful main gun, a big damage dealing ability, and a healing ability for himself and others, does he really need to have an infinite mobility ability too?

Shredderi

Game is having some serious lag. Just team wiped the team with 99% of point cap. I was on the point for 3 seconds just standing still and "defeat". Fucking hell.

Prelude.

Game is having some serious lag. Just team wiped the team with 99% of point cap. I was on the point for 3 seconds just standing still and "defeat". Fucking hell.
I had that happen a few times today, where the point doesn't start getting capped for several seconds.

Blues1990

-Winston excels at bypassing chokepoints and attacking control points. He can force a defending team to fall back and defend the objective, allowing your team to pass through the chokepoint. Use Winston when you need to be able to get into an enemy's back line and break them up.

-Keep your cool and pick your targets, but as a general rule of thumb, ways aim for healers and other core parts of the enemy team first. (Don't bother with the enemy tank heroes UNLESS if they are low on health).

-In the moments when you don't have a healer on hand, use your jump pack to retreat to find health packs. Memorize the location of large Health Packs, as this will help you get back to fighting more quickly.

-Winston is only capable of fighting at short range, and he is not nearly as consistently durable as the other Tanks. Always make sure you have a solid escape route and try not to go in too deep (especially if you go out of sight from your healers).

-While Winston's ultimate is best used in cases where you need to force an enemy team away from a position, if you are knocked off the map but have your ult on hand, don't be afraid to use it to either escape or get back to safety.

-Keep in mind that Winston's ultimate will gain a massive boost in health and strength, in addition to automatically healing your HP, so try to delay using it until you are low on Health to maximize the amount of time you spend in the fight.

-With Winston's dome-shaped barrier, you can "dance" between the edge of the bubble in order to keep yourself safe for its duration. When an enemy enters into the bubble, move outside of it so that the enemy has to exit the bubble to attack you. Once they do, move back into the bubble. This lets you deal constant damage while the barrier absorbs most of your enemy's damage.

LAM09

Finally got another legendary (Dva) after about 15 boxes. Hope I can get Lucio's without having to spend coins.

Blues1990

So many quitters today :(

It's honestly been this way towards the start of Season 4, what with the number of smurf accounts, people reaching their rank and not giving a damn, or just having a ball throwing. I'm definitely looking forward to the more strict changes.

Started my placements with a friend who was using her smurf. First game was a win on Hanamura where we held first point. Next two games were losses because our teams were just not organized. Granted I didn't feel I played all that well those game either but when your team has two stack that keeps switching heroes and one of them is a one trick Tracer who can't do shit, it becomes really clear you're not going to win it.

So I'm 1-2 so far which isn't too bad. You gotta believe!

komaruR

I was the one who is probably the most vehemently against him, so I was really happy when his nerf finally came in. And in terms of pure damage, I think he's at a much better place, even though he's still really powerful. A good Soldier can still be oppressive, but now the character doesn't feel oppressive by his very nature. I still think he could use a little more nerf though.

But rather than nerfing his damage more, I'd rather they lessen his other abilities. His heal station gives him a truly ridiculous amount of health really fast. I know certain heroes can burst through it, but it's more doable on PC than consoles since it's harder to aim. It feels cheap to have him at low health, only for him to lay down a healing station, have him jitter around healing whatever the damage that should have finished him off while he outputs massive damage onto you.

So my fix for that is to make it counter-able. Have it eatable by D.Va's DM, reflectable by Genji or just destructible from basic enemy fire. It would remain a powerful ability, but it wouldn't just a "Haha, I have 400HP now because fuck you" thing. If left alone, then people would have to deal with it as normal. If people decide to target it, then Soldier has a few spare seconds to do what they want while they go out of their way to fire on the heal station and leave him alone. This ability would be more useful against some than others (Winston would be the only one who could effectively target both him and the heal station, or Pharah firing down would probably hit with splash damage), but I don't think that's a bad thing. I just want to be able to DO something about soldiers that decide to heal themselves.

I also wouldn't mind putting a CD on his sprinting. Not a large one, but I feel it's kind of bullshit that he gets to scramble away whenever he wants no matter what. I mean, isn't it enough that he has a powerful main gun, a big damage dealing ability, and a healing ability for himself and others, does he really need to have an infinite mobility ability too?
i like soldier nerf, which makes he a lesser must pick now. 1v1 with him with other heros dont feel as threaten as they use to be.
but, pharah still reigning the sky :(
with raise of mercies, pharmercy can be a pain to deal with.

Cappa

Banned
It's honestly been this way towards the start of Season 4, what with the number of smurf accounts, people reaching their rank and not giving a damn, or just having a ball throwing. I'm definitely looking forward to the more strict changes.
What are the strict changes?

Lemstar

What are the strict changes?
right now, if you leave enough comp matches in a season, you get banned for the remainder of the season

they announced implementing a feature where if you get banned from comp in enough seasons, you get banned from comp permanently

in other words, nothing

I am finally back into Plat after placing 2400 SR but it was tougher than I expected. It got me thinking though, the average gold player at the beginning of the season is way better than the average gold player at the end of the season. At the start of the season, most gold players are people who were ranked higher in prior seasons but got placed lower trying to climb. If you wanted to climb up really fast after placements, it's probably better just to wait until the middle of the season because you won't be playing against recently placed players.

Nimby

Banned

Looking at other DPS like Reaper and McCree for potential replacements, I don't think Blizzard really know what to do with these two (and honestly the games balance in general). Yeah their new buffs are great, but they still have the same weaknesses that kept them from being 76 tier before these buffs.

Reaper has trouble engaging, he has trouble getting into the range he is supposed to be at. His teleport is loud, if you're caught teleporting, you have like 1-2 seconds where you can't actually do anything. If I'm Zen, I have enough time to charge 3 shots w/ discord and kill you instantly. Why not make his teleport less obvious, maybe allow him to move quicker after teleporting?

For McCree it's just simple. He is the only DPS that can't escape, if he is caught out in the open which is what dive comps are all about, then he just dies. Why not lower the cooldown on his combat roll, make him invincible during it, and/or increase the distance so McCree can escape from dives?

I would be fine with a CD nerf on his heal station, or it's HPS etc. But I want to see them fix McCree and Reaper first. I think the PTR changes aren't going to do much but make them slightly less niche.

Veelk

Banned
Question: can I blame my team for being bad if I have gold medals in both elims and damage as D.Va, even though we had a tracer and soldier?

Man, I go for over a year without getting a Soldier legendary than Cyborg and Stuntman 76 come in back to back boxes.
Now back to your regularly scheduled blue white white blue.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Their skill rating really does need some sort of system to accelerate SR gains and losses. The win streak was really dumb, but playing 300 games at a 66% win rate until you finally stabilize because you're only gaining 20 sr every 3 games is also really dumb.

Satch

Banned
genji game 1: wow 53 elims, solo carry, baby seagull, greatest genji performance ever played in history

genji game 2: hello im pressing each button with my tongue

Yeah. But we never spoke verbally, so why would you recognize my voice lol?

No haha, i was just wondering if you were one of the silent ones.

Lik I'm ready for Mayhem grind, its a terrible mode but its more time efficient to get exp. You get a bit more than you would in qp i think but theres less downtime than doing a bunch of qp games since one game takes a long time usually. I have done more boring things in video games before and i can bear it if i do it for exp not giving a fuck.

Chance

So our line is broken on Volskaya A. They've taken out our Reinhardt in the room with the small health pack on the (defender's) left side of the choke, and 5/6th of their team continues up the staircase into the upper hallway.

I solo-rez our Rein. He and our Reaper proceed up the stairs as I hit Rein with damage buff, and he hammers down. A damage-boosted flamestrike takes out their D.Va and Ana, and Reaper Death Blossoms the heck out of their Rein, Hog and Lucio.

Play of the Game goes to... the Mercy who solo-rez'd the Rein. And then told Reaper he'd just gotten Play of the Game.

My highlight intro comes up at the end of the match and I'm like "da fuck!?"

piece%2Bof%2Bcake.png

Top Bottom