• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellie

Any other good Overwatch YT channels? I kinda want more stuff to watch.

Currently subbed to:

Unit Lost Gaming
Force Gaming
Your Overwatch
Overwatch Central
Lowersman

and a few others but I barely watch them these days. Any recs are fine.
Would +1 skyline and mindfuzz mentioned above.
Edit: mentioned on the previous page
Also rapida is good for weekly funny clips sent in and a series of our X vs enemy X. Eg our widowmaker vs enemy widowmaker. Generally clips of a bad play on a hero then a good play.

exYle

If we get that six stack that Buttchin was mentioning, you and NDF/Biscuit Pharmercy, me Lucio/Zen/Ana, and everyone else filling the tanks and DPS role maybe it could work. We need a consistent Rein though.

I'll Rein if need be (definitely on 2CP), but I was hoping for a team that I could play Genji with hahahah

ohkay

There hasn't been a season where Hog hasn't been a hard carry hero, though. D.Va was explicitly helped by the massive armor buff, but Hog has always been good.
Sure, but hook 2.0 has helped more people get consistent kills where they didn't before

Hylian7

I played one competitive game back when competitive came out in the game, and then I started getting back into OW recently. I played 3 more competitive placement matches last night, and lost all three and they were shutouts. I had three teams that refused to work together and running at the same chokepoint and dying, while ignoring the Roadhog that was behind us and hooking people one by one. It was extremely frustrating because I ask to group and I get in return "stop suckin dick and let me play Soldier 76" and suddenly it's my fault we lost somehow.

Maybe it's just because of my lack of experience with the competitive side of the game, but does anyone feel like the game is too reliant on Reinhardt. Every team has him, everyone goes "Someone switch to Reinhardt", and all the other "Tanks" pale in comparison, with D.Va being the closest with her Defense Matrix rework recently.

I play a lot of Dota and am used to this kind of issue with teammates refusing to cooperate, but in Dota I have learned how to mitigate it. How does one mitigate in Overwatch, because it feels so much more difficult to here.

for me....in a roadhog mirror match, it seems 9 times out of 10, its best to get hooked First.

that 1 time out of 10 is when you somehow lose a little health then he hooks you first and you just die.
That's my experience, too. But sometimes I hook first, combo, then I get hooked, and I shoot first and win. Is my opponent just crappy?

But then what does Reaper do? I think he'd struggle again if she went to 300/300.

Yep, why use Reaper when Soldier melts D.va like it's nothing.
Yeah, I think it's more that Soldier often outshines Reaper at a job Reaper is supposed to excel at.

Depends on the team comp. I'm quite flexible now. Like I said, 12 heroes! I'm not exaggerating. ;)

Now you've got me wondering how many heroes I'd be comfortable playing if we needed to have a certain character.

McCree
Soldier
Tracer
Reaper
Sombra
Mei
Roadhog
Winston
Dva
Reinhardt
Zarya
Ana
Symmetra
Lucio
Zen

Not bad, but the only heroes I'd say I'm above average with are
Tracer
Roadhog
Zarya
Ana
Lucio
Zen

I wonder how Winston will be in the new patch... He's a lot of fun.

Grief.exe

I played one competitive game back when competitive came out in the game, and then I started getting back into OW recently. I played 3 more competitive placement matches last night, and lost all three and they were shutouts. I had three teams that refused to work together and running at the same chokepoint and dying, while ignoring the Roadhog that was behind us and hooking people one by one. It was extremely frustrating because I ask to group and I get in return "stop suckin dick and let me play Soldier 76" and suddenly it's my fault we lost somehow.

Maybe it's just because of my lack of experience with the competitive side of the game, but does anyone feel like the game is too reliant on Reinhardt. Every team has him, everyone goes "Someone switch to Reinhardt", and all the other "Tanks" pale in comparison, with D.Va being the closest with her Defense Matrix rework recently.

I play a lot of Dota and am used to this kind of issue with teammates refusing to cooperate, but in Dota I have learned how to mitigate it. How does one mitigate in Overwatch, because it feels so much more difficult to here.

You should probably wait for the next season, this season is ending in a week and you may have missed the boat for quality matches.

Anne

Yeah, I think it's more that Soldier often outshines Reaper at a job Reaper is supposed to excel at.

Ish. Reaper is much better at tank busting and bursting thigns down despite what people will tell you. Again, a lot of it is just Reaper is pretty bad into Rein/Ana/Lucio because spacing and not being good at the shield/sustain game.

ohkay

That's my experience, too. But sometimes I hook first, combo, then I get hooked, and I shoot first and win. Is my opponent just crappy?
Yes. Ignoring everyone else, if both hogs are at full health, the one who hooks first should always lose. The Hog who hooks second should get the second shot off while the other Hog is stunned for the kill

LiK

Now you've got me wondering how many heroes I'd be comfortable playing if we needed to have a certain character.

McCree
Soldier
Tracer
Reaper
Sombra
Mei
Roadhog
Winston
Dva
Reinhardt
Zarya
Ana
Symmetra
Lucio
Zen

Not bad, but the only heroes I'd say I'm above average with are
Tracer
Roadhog
Zarya
Ana
Lucio
Zen

I wonder how Winston will be in the new patch... He's a lot of fun.

I def know I'm bad or mediocre with:

Mei
Zarya
Rein
McCree
Genji
Hanzo
Roadhog
Winston
Sombra

Everyone else I'm good or proficient at.

Sad Rectangle Man aka Reinhardt definitely has too much presence in the game. My winrate with him in comp is actually pretty good but bad Mississippi internet means my ability to pin with him is janky as hell, so I try to dodge playing him as much as I can.

You can mitigate shit team mates in several ways. One is to go balls out and just kill the enemy team. This is hard to do since OW characters have limited firepower as opposed to TF2 mercs for example where I could carry a bunch of sandvich heavies solo by being a demoman. They'll have to walk in through the choke if everyone is dead.

Stay alive and never die. Also hard to do but more doable if you are character with self sustain like s76 or roadhog. Your consistent presence will cause your team to naturally group up around you.

Keep your idiots alive aka the SirActionSlacks method. Ana can pump a lot of health juice into your team which will help even the worst team mates win a battle of attrition. The trick with her is knowing when to take time off of healing to finish kills without sacrificing someone from dipping into the dps role. With that said my Ana winrate is still kinda bad even though I have good metrics for healing and accuracy. At the end of the day it's still an fps and not an rpg strategy game like dota. If your McCree can't hit the broad side of a barn it doesn't matter how much health you pump into him.

Flanking, diving, or getting in weird places. Any character that can bypass the choke and be a nuisance. You don't necessarily have to go mega ham. Just sitting on the point and pulling like 2 people towards you can create a numerical advantage for your team at the choke. I'm a pretty shit D.va and winston but hopping over the bridge or flying over the top to sit on the point and wiggle around hasn't failed for me yet. I've had half the team chase me down and even if die like a goober it means my team can win the 5 v 3 fight at the choke.

Reinhardt is just the most intuitive and easy strategy to get behind. And he really is more of a strategy than a character. Just by having a Rein you give your team an idea of how to position, protection, and you can lead the team simply by existing. When you go in as Rein, the team usually goes in. When you back off, the team backs off.

I don't think that Rein is over-powered; he's just easy mode strategy which is where most players are lacking. All the other tanks require more coordination and better timing.

JHall

Also, it's a huge disadvantage if the other team has a Rein and you don't. Free earthshatters all day for them

As someone that plays a lot of Rein these are my favorite games to play. Also, I will always solo ult an Ana no matter the situation.

Vitanimus

I think a hero that is completely unknown with no known lore ties or in game hints could be really interesting. It sounds like they're misinterpreting the feedback from the Sombra ARG though.

I think being able use my ult in literally every teamfight as Sombra is a tad excessive. Since the last patch, I don't think I've lost a single game on Lijiang Tower playing Sombra. Maybe needs to be re-balanced.

adamy

Banned
is Ana as popular on console as she is on PC in the higher ranks like diamond?

I'm gold and still pretty much never see anyone playing her.

LiK

is Ana as popular on console as she is on PC in the higher ranks like diamond?

I'm gold and still pretty much never see anyone playing her.

She's pretty tough to play on console and yea, most players who play her are in higher tiers. Still not as common as PC where she's godlike with good players and carries tanks.

adamy

Banned
what's the reasoning behind making Lucio's wallride backwards a toggle option?

what reason could one possibly have to not have it on

pretty sure it's actually off by default too

I don't get it

Anne

what's the reasoning behind making Lucio's wallride backwards a toggle option?

what reason could one possibly have to not have it on

pretty sure it's actually off by default too

I don't get it

Significantly changes how his wallride interactions control in general.

adamy

Banned
Significantly changes how his wallride interactions control in general.

for the better, it seems

I find it makes it easier to combo wallrides/jump between different surfaces and it is also great for escaping

can't think of any downsides

exYle

If you're Genji then I have to be Ana.

:)

If you nano me out of spawn again I will punch you irl

Also I'm comfortable playing Rein, D.Va, Genji, Zenyatta, Lucio, and Ana. I can play other heroes pretty well but I don't think I should flex for them cause other people play them better

I still think the next hero isn't very close. Thinking May/June-ish.

So far both heroes have released within four months of each other (Ana July, Sombra November). I'd be very surprised and disappointed if March came and nothing showed up.

I would like to be a good Genji someday cuz he's a fucking asshole and I wanna be that asshole.

Getting good at Genji is pretty easy, to be honest. It just requires a few lifestyle changes.

Step 1: Start wearing a headband
Step 2: Replace your usual breakfast with rice
Step 3: Start using Japanese phrases such as "Mada mada", "Kono teido ka", "Yosh", and "Kimochi" in your daily interactions
Step 4: Learn meditation
Step 5: Consider purchasing a katana to practice Genji's ultimate
Step 6: Change your Battle.net to something in Kanji - doesn't matter what. I recommend 争麸 as being a good combo.

AbaFadi

Banned
Getting good at Genji is pretty easy, to be honest. It just requires a few lifestyle changes.

Step 3: Start using Japanese phrases such as "Mada mada", "Kono teido ka", "Yosh", and "Kimochi" in your daily interactions
Step 6: Change your Battle.net to something in Kanji - doesn't matter what. I recommend 争麸 as being a good combo.

How long until I start seeing results?

LiK

This is good.

Doomfist deconfirmed haha.

Any other good Overwatch YT channels? I kinda want more stuff to watch.

Currently subbed to:

Unit Lost Gaming
Force Gaming
Your Overwatch
Overwatch Central
Lowersman

and a few others but I barely watch them these days. Any recs are fine.

If you like lore stuff, Low Mana is pretty good. Hammeh's alright for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom