• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

_Legacy_

Just decided to look at my stats. Yesterday, I was nearly 50:50 on my win ratio. Now, I have something like 95 losses to 175 games played. Seriously, fml. I would need to win nearly every single one of the next 25 games just to break even now.

I'll play with gaffers tomorrow to hopefully tilt less against this nonsense, but goddamn, I almost feel like the best thing I can do right now is just throw away my copy of the game so I don't have any temptation to play it again. When the game works, it's SO GOOD. But at this point, that's maybe 10% of the time and I don't know if it's a good game if I can only enjoy it 10% of the time.

Win/loss ration doesn't really count for much though, I have friends in Diamond/Master with lower than 50% win rate or near about.

Blues1990

There are sooo many smurfs now... they literally even have smurf in their username

I hope the development team has a way to thin out this issue. Seriously, people who are using these alternative accounts are throwing games like it's no tomorrow.

I'm fine if they want an alt. account to play other heroes and practice with them.... Just do it in another mode.

LiK

I mean, yes, you're absolutely right. But that didn't stop the dude from throwing that match... that Widow's username was enough to break him.

I guess it just shocks me, because he was so vocal about it. (essentially: "You! You're impossible to beat! I'm throwing the game so I know this match was pointless!") Some duders in the match tried to reason with him but it was fruitless. The whole thing was bizarre and shook my faith in the Overwatch community to its very core.

This was in QP so I probably shoudn't care at all, but man, it's a bummer all the same; all it takes is one guy to completely ruin a match.

Seriously, he got super mad in QP? I can understand getting frustrated but throwing cuz you're getting owned in QP is silly as fuck. QP should be a place to practice and learn to use abilities. Might as well just leave and look for a new match.

Can't decide if I want to go ham on Comp before the season ends in the hope I can break into Grand Masters or atleast start closer to it for next season, or just say fuck it and coast around my current rank (Mid 3600s) to prevent decay till the season ends.

Roubjon

Can't decide if I want to go ham on Comp before the season ends in the hope I can break into Grand Masters or atleast start closer to it for next season, or just say fuck it and coast around my current rank (Mid 3600s) to prevent decay till the season ends.

I'm just coasting at around 3700 right now. I don't wanna drop too hard and games are hugely hit or miss right now in Competitive. I'm hoping next season I'll be able to hit Grand Master for the first time.

I'm just coasting at around 3700 right now. I don't wanna drop too hard and games are hugely hit or miss right now in Competitive. I'm hoping next season I'll be able to hit Grand Master for the first time.

True. I have had some GM/Top 500 matches that honestly felt like Diamond level games, seems like almost every time I play lately I end up on for like 3-4+ hours just to break ahead like 25 SR if I'm lucky.

Seems like a decent chunk of people have reached the point of realizing they aren't gonna hit their intended goals, and are phoning it in or straight up trolling.

hypernima

Banned
From what I've heard owzers couldn't handle the fact that there was no event this week and had to resort to a resident evil movie to ease the pain.

Will do when I'm on, though lately we haven't played at decent hours for you.

Don't think I will be on today before 11PM-midnight here though, but if I can I'll join you guys.

We haven't played in forever :(
Did I do something?

Pretty good Q&A with Kaplan on Reddit. Here's a few of them, a lot more at the link. A ton of interesting insights

Q: [Re: Competitive rewards] Well it’s almost like you want to do something cool, but then you’re like “That’s too cool, we have to actually rein it in.”

Jeff: I’ll say something even more controversial. I wish we would’ve never added any cosmetic items to Competitive. I think the people playing Competitive should only be there because they really care about playing in Competitive mode, and they want to rise through the tiers – that’s who I think belongs in Competitive. I don’t think we should overly incentivize players because of cosmetic rewards into the system any more than we already have to the point where if we could do the Men In Black thing and make everybody forget and we would come out with Overwatch again and literally wouldn’t add any cosmetic rewards to the system, so it’s tricky because we get asked the question a lot. Now, that doesn’t mean that all the cool stuff that we have ideas for couldn’t be given out to players in other ways, so it’s not like we’re just not going to make it, like “Haha we’re taking out football and game over” – it’s more that I would love to give it out in a way where it doesn’t encourage players to be in Competitive mode who don’t want to be there. I think it really takes a really special mindset to be in Competitive, and I think a lot of the problems that we see are players who really don’t want to, or belong there, spending more time than they should there.

Q: I want to point out that a lot of people are asking for another cinematic, so people like that, that’s good. That’s feedback I’m passing on, I’m doing my obligatory duty.

Jeff: To speak to that, the animated shorts are probably the thing that we love the most. It’s like the biggest treat that we get to do and our animation team is like wickedly talented – that’s a different team from the Overwatch team. We’re very lucky that Arnold, Michael, myself get to do a lot of interaction with the animation team and we feel like the animated shorts are the best way we can tell stories in a game, well not in a game, in Overwatch. So, obviously we’re going to push to do as many as we can of those and we have some killer stuff in the works right now.

Q: Just actually pinging back on my question earlier, where you talked about repeating seasonal events. Obviously there’s only so much space between events eventually if you end up adding like a Spring event besides like the Lunar New Year one, do you still foresee events beyond the ones that we’ve had in year one, in between the gaps?

Jeff: I think we need to be careful about event fatigue. Part of what makes events feel special is that they’re not happening all the time. Now, we’re about to hit our 6th event, so it’s almost like an event is happening every other month. I don’t think there’s no room ever again, but I also think we should really start to take our foot off the gas pedal when it comes to events and I think the focus for year 2 needs to become “What will Summer Games look like when it happens again?”, because there’s a certain spirit to it – like they really miss Lucioball and they really want it back, so it should have that. We shouldn’t just press a reset button and make an event from new, it should be the same event that you remember from last year, but maybe we modify some things that weren’t working and add some content. I think the next year will just be refining the events that we have, rather than adding new ones, but I would never take adding a new event off the table.

Q: Obligatory where’s Doomfist?

Jeff: Gotta ask Terry about that one!

Damn you Jeph.

Negaiido

Does anyone want to play EU HOTS for the Nexus Challenge?
I'm starting from Oni Genji skin but I'm prepared to start from the beginning.
Add me if you want to: Negaiido#2364

Great and how are you supposed to do that?

People say that you can get into higher ranks by just playing well. And I'm sure that's true, but I cannot play so good that I can compensate for a person going Torb on attack or Widowmaker when they can't hit shit or going in with no DPS or otherwise making such catastrophically bad decisions that they're either throwing or playing so badly that it amounts to the same thing. And that's when they aren't leaving.

Sometimes I get lucky and it's the other team that gets the shitty teammates that make these game ruining picks (which isn't good. I don't have fun when I'm winning because a douchebag is sticking to Torb on KotH), but usually, it's on my side.

Near the end of the season, it's worse than ever, and I'm about to dip down into silver where players do this with more frequency.

Just fuck my life when it comes to this game.

I'm going to be perfectly blunt, don't take offense to any of this.

1.) As blues suggested, take a break from the game or at least comp until next season. I tilted so badly one time in S2 that I was affected IRL (it was with one of my friends). I knew I had to take a break for a bit and come back with a fresh mind set. Haven't got anywhere near as tilted since then, I even reached a new career high because I changed my attitude (didn't even get to diamond S2).

2.) Most of your posts are about your team not performing well and the other team just outplays yours. Are you sure you're playing as well as you think you are? Have you looked at VOD's of yourself playing the game, because I guarantee you that you're probably making as much mistakes as your team is, otherwise you would be climbing. I've had a lot of experience in low plat in prior seasons, I can straight up tell you that the other team is just as uncoordinated as yours, it's just a matter of who setups up the better plays and actually capitalizes.

3.) I'm not sure what you're expecting in plat or above, but the truth is: you're still going to have shitty teammates, there are still throwers, there are far more toxic people in diamond, and there's still widow/hanzo/torb mains. The only difference is the level of play starts to slowly increase (people get better at positioning, staying with team, playing their role etc etc).

4.) Are you in the right role? It sounds like you're mainly DPS, more specifically a tracer main which is fine. But if you're not killing the healers/DPS even if they're playing amazing as a team, then you're not doing your job. Gold elims/Gold damage doesn't matter (this should be a given to have one of these as DPS), if you can't kill your high priority targets, you're about as useless as the torb/widow/hanzo mains everyone complains about. There's nothing wrong with switching roles and doing heals/tanks as that's a luxury in gold. I'm not sure about your skill levels in other characters or roles but a good tank player can carry/turn the tide just as much as a DPS can. Tanks players are the ones who can setup big plays when the DPS can't.

TL;DR Take a break, review your VOD's, work on your positioning/game sense/mechanical skill/job role and you'll see yourself climbing. Don't focus on the SR numbers, people get too hung up on that. I've lost 200+ before it's no big deal, you'll either regain it back by making improvements in your game play (the only constant in all your games) or stay stuck in the same levels blaming your team.

Event or I go hanzo.

See you next week.

Last night was the cavs/Celtic game 1, might be on tonight though but I do need to start Prey before event.

You really don't :p

We haven't played in forever :(
Did I do something?

You picked widow in the last game.
can't remember the last time we played lol, it's been a while

If you see me in a group join us, you're welcome (if you see me in a group it's always gaf) :)

I tilted so badly one time in S2

Can't imagine you tilting honestly, always so cool on chat.

Cels

lol kaplan says dva is "totally fine" so suck it dva nerf haters

reaper shrug emote is in, they really love the memes

Yukinari

You know the funniest part about adding new maps to 3v3 is that it will not change the meta of that mode at all.

You get the hog, ana, and DPS combo in every match cause theres no reason to pick anybody else.

NeoRaider

You know the funniest part about adding new maps to 3v3 is that it will not change the meta of that mode at all.

You get the hog, ana, and DPS combo in every match cause theres no reason to pick anybody else.

I can't even remember last time i played 1v1/3v3 tbh. It's just... not fun at all. Ana/Hog 90% of time. It's broken.

Yukinari

I can't even remember last time i played 1v1/3v3 tbh. It's just... not fun at all. Ana/Hog 90% of time. It's broken.

The least they could do is add a control point to one of the maps to help stop ties.

Its lame as fuck to have two people too scared to fight each other and waste everyones time.

Top Bottom