• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

_Legacy_

Faced a team that had 5 supports and a Widow on Oasis, probably the best team comp I've ever seen on Overwatch.

Zen would discord someone then everyone else would hang off Sym healing her as she dived in going for whoever Zen would discord while Widow took shots from range. My team had no idea how to beat this so started arguing to make people change to match what they were doing. Which obviously failed.

People then trickled, lost every fight, argued more while one guy kept jumping off the map killing himself over and over. I love Overwatch Competitors :|

We faced a similar team on Numbani last night, we couldn't cap point A and thought it would be over, considering they only needed 33% but they went with 5 supports and not a single tank. I couldn't understand it, we killed them over and over and they barely stayed alive to even touch the point. I'm gutted that we didn't get at least 33% on attack now, seems they were actually trying on defense because the team was different. They had this yolo Symmetra that kept on charging in and a Lucio who was on teleport-hunting duty, weird. My team were so confused but also delighted.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Really torn on whether to jump on the GOTY Edition for this.

Only played the beta and didn't mind it.

$65AU on Xbox, $59AU on PS4 and $55AU on PC.

Started this season 8-2 in placements then proceeded to get quitters,losing close ones and tilting then recovering then losing. 44% win rate where I started at around 2450 and am now 1916 after like 40matches total. I can't play with my conworkers since they have gone up to 3000 and beyond. Feels bad man.
Might call it quits since I don't think I can stomach another season in gold/silver bronze matches.

Started this season 8-2 in placements then proceeded to get quitters,losing close ones and tilting then recovering then losing. 44% win rate where I started at around 2450 and am now 1916 after like 40matches total. I can't play with my conworkers since they have gone up to 3000 and beyond. Feels bad man.
Might call it quits since I don't think I can stomach another season in gold/silver bronze matches.

I'd be glad to play more with you. I know we were about 50/50, but it's more fun playing with a friend. :)

I'm going to try and persuade Dahbomb to buy the game after the free period this weekend. >_>

ramyeon

Lost all of my comp games today. And I was playing almost all day.

Mostly kids playing during work hours or people doing placements, it was really bad and really negative as far as voice comms go.

Really put me off the game.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Team getting dominated by a non-Mercy'd Pharah despite having both a 76 and McCree, lol.

Added to "reasons to throw" list :^)

Lost all of my comp games today. And I was playing almost all day.

Mostly kids playing during work hours or people doing placements, it was really bad and really negative as far as voice comms go.

Really put me off the game.

Should have duo'd with me smh

i have this friend who heard about the use of kb/m on consoles (which, like, is an issue but it's not THAT widespread) and now he thinks that pretty much everyone who can aim is using mk/b

RjbSQLP.gif

i just say "yeah" whenever he's on about it. killed by a zen "oh they were using mk/b". killed by a winston "mouse and keyboard". bhghvkl

Kinda surprised with all the hate new "event" is getting on OW forums.

Ppl calling it "non-event", "cash grab"... etc. It looks like many are disappointet and expected more from 1Y.A. event.
A few skins, new maps for 1v1 and 3v3 only is pretty dire.

Everyone should have got a skin, at least one proper new map. Shoulda gave chance to unlock all previous even skins at least.

It is very underwhelming.

Cappa

Banned
People like to bitch about everything. This event is a million times better than Uprising.

They aren't forcing you to buy lootboxes and skins and you don't have to pay extra for the maps etc. Free content, even if its timed, is never a bad thing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
People like to bitch about everything. This event is a million times better than Uprising.

They aren't forcing you to buy lootboxes and skins and you don't have to pay extra for the maps etc. Free content, even if its timed, is never a bad thing.

But the event is like 10 hours old and i got a dupe in a loot box wtf blizzard???

Blizzard

Banned
But the event is like 10 hours old and i got a dupe in a loot box wtf blizzard???
It's more that Blizzard could extremely easily make players happier by some minor quality of life changes on the loot boxes:

1. Eliminate legendary dupe drops.
2. During an event, make all legendary drops event legendaries.

If making those two changes singlehandedly means Blizzard can't fund development and server costs for their massively popular $40 game, then something seems wrong to me.

LiK

i have this friend who heard about the use of kb/m on consoles (which, like, is an issue but it's not THAT widespread) and now he thinks that pretty much everyone who can aim is using mk/b

i just say "yeah" whenever he's on about it. killed by a zen "oh they were using mk/b". killed by a winston "mouse and keyboard". bhghvkl

Let him believe that. Maybe he'll quit the game sooner.

LiK

For some reason my HOTS Dva player icon is in the locked part of the Career Profile player icon menu even tho I unlocked it and I'm using it. Probably a bug cuz it happened after the patch but I'm not gonna change my player icon until they fix it.

So with this patch, Blizzard is clearly doubling down on giving every character their own "home map", whether it's a normal map or an arena map.
There's still several characters that don't have a map, and one map that represents 2 characters, as well as a few owner-less maps.

I think that there's a few things that will allow us to speculate on what maps might be coming next, more so than characters, but there's still some cool tidbits we might be able to see in regards to heroes.

Here's an overview of all the characters that have maps associated with them:
Genji - Hanamura or Nepal
McCree - Route 66
Pharah - Temple of Anubis
Reaper - Hollywood(?)
Sombra - Castillo
Tracer - King's Row
Bastion - Black Forest
Hanzo - Hanamura
Mei - Ecopoint: Antarctica
Orisa - Numbani
Reinhardt - Eichenwalde
Winston - Watchpoint: Gibraltar
Zarya - Volskaya Industries
Ana - Necropolis
Zenyatta - Nepal

And as a maybe:
Soldier 76 - Dorado? (I'll get to that in a moment)

That leaves no home maps for: Junkrat, Torbjörn, Widowmaker, DVa, Roadhog, Mercy, Symmetra and Lucio (Estádio das Rãs for Lucioball is in Brazil, but I doubt it counts).

As well as the owner-less maps of: Ilios, Lijiang Tower, Oasis and possibly Dorado. I believe that CTF variations do not count, since they're just repeats of their Control counterparts, just during different times of day and with additional rooms replacing the dropships.

Genji can be associated with 2 maps, and I believe that we might get an arena variation of Hanamura or Nepal - Genji studied there under Zenyatta - in the next arena map release. This I am fairly certain on because the other maps that had 2 characters "owning" them, Anubis and Eichenwalde, got us Necropolis and Black Forest (which Jeff confirmed to be near where The Last Bastion took place). If we get Doomfist, we also are probably going to get a second map located in Numbani or maybe Nigeria.

Which leads us to Castillo. This is clearly meant to be Sombra's home turf, which opens up Dorado as a home map for someone else. Soldier 76's short took place in Dorado, which might indicate that Blizzard considers it 76's home map, however, it might also indicate that we are going to get another Mexican character (Guillermo Portero or someone working for him/Lumerico perhaps? Or someone from Los Muertos?).

We're also likely going to get maps taking place in France, India, Australia (2 here, one for each), Korea, Brazil, one or two in the US, Sweden (I think that the story of the comics has taken us there recently is no coincidence), and Switzerland (likewise I believe that Mercy being from the country in which the ruins of the former Overwatch HQ located is no coincidence either!).

Also, the question arises: Will we keep "ownerless" maps? Because if not, we can expect a second Chinese character related to astronomy, an Iraqi character from Oasis, a Greek character, possibly a second Mexican (as mentioned), as well as another US-American character who has ties to show business, unless Hollywood is considered by Blizzard to be the Blizzard map, which it may be.

Either way, based on the arena maps, I think that if we get another set of 3 arena maps in the future, the next batch likely will consist of Hanamura/Nepal, and two out of Australia, USA and Numbani/Nigeria, which also means that Doomfist or an Australia map might be on the horizon.

Just some thoughts I had.

Edit: Apparently Reaper is from Los Angeles, meaning that Hollywood may be his home map after all. Huh.
There doesn't seem to be any lore connection to them, and Reaper doesn't have any voice lines on Hollywood either, but the location would be right at least.

WhyMe6

Finally back up to 2400. Just 100 more points to my precious precious next gold weapon (it's definitely not going to happenㅠㅠ)

Pretty sure Sombra has history with Dorado. She says something to that effect during readying.

Of course she does. I considered Dorado Sombra's map up until Castillo was announced. But now that Castillo got released, it's clear that's supposed to be her map. Why add a second map based in Dorado if not to differentiate her "ownership" of it from somebody else?
They could've easily made a second Hanamura/Nepal map with the same layout.

Rafy

I finally won my first ever 1v1, and with snipers too! I usually suck with that kind of class, so I either got real lucky or the person I was playing against was worse than I am

Also, for the US maps, there's only three locations currently that have been mentioned by Overwatch material:
Watchpoint: Grand Mesa (which is where Soldier 76 stole his pulse rifle from), the Detroit Omnium, and Seattle, which was shown as an active threat location on the globe shown in one of the trailers.

Better than it being an arena map.

Well since we have 2 Australian heroes, the likelihood of us getting a regular map and an arena map is pretty damn high.

After 8 boxes I finally get a gold drop.

It's Zarya's Arctic skin...

I...just...FUCK OFF!!!!

Haven't got a single new skin or new emote yet. The fuck is that shit?

LiK

I...just...FUCK OFF!!!!

I keep getting Player Icons and the Anniversary ones are garbage. I don't want anymore of these shitty ones with gold gradient filters.

I...just...FUCK OFF!!!!

I've opened 30 boxes and only gotten the Mei skin and the Zarya dance twice... its rough.

I just spent coins to deck out my two favorites (Tracer and Lucio) and now I have no gold. Still want Zarya, Soldier, Dva, and Symmetra. Gonna be rough.

edgefusion

Every time I play (console) I end up just raging against mouse users. I'm not a great aim at the best of times so I can't possibly compete against cheaters. It ends up being such a frustrating experience, now matter how much I love the game I'm not willing to invest in a cheat device just to stay competitive.

Top Bottom